PDA

View Full Version : AFC teams vs. NFC teams record this year?

oregonpackfan
11-04-2007, 05:22 PM
In recent years, when AFC teams play NFC teams during interconference games, the AFC has had a decided win total.

It seems this year that edge has narrowed. Today, the Packers, Lions, and Vikings all beat AFC teams. In addition, the Packers have defeated AFC teams Chargers and Broncos.

Do any of you statisticians have the record thus far of AFC vs. NFC wins?

Lurker64
11-04-2007, 05:30 PM
As of right now, the season series between the NFC and AFC is dead even by my calculations (and Seattle is beating Cleveland so after this week it looks like the NFC will be ahead.)

Here's how I figured. Sum the total wins of all NFC teams and the total losses of all NFC teams. Subtract the summed losses from the summed wins. The result is the lead of the NFC over the AFC in the season series. This is because if an NFC team beats and NFC team, one will be added to the win column and one will be added to the loss column for a net change of zero. But if an NFC team beats and AFC team (or vice versa) the win (or loss) column will go up by one and the other column will remain unchanged, for a net change of plus (resp. minus) one.

Right now the NFC has 63 total wins and 63 total losses, so the season series is a push between the NFC and AFC.

]{ilr]3
11-04-2007, 05:31 PM
19 Wins for AFC vs NFC with 35 games played

16 Wins for NFC vs AFC with 34 games played

As of week 8

http://www.nfl.com/standings

Like you say. With wins in Week 9 is could be different, but for now AFC is still leading

vince
11-04-2007, 05:39 PM
AFC is 18 - 17 by my count going INTO this week.

Edit: This week the NFC is 5-1 (with SEA still playing CLE), so that makes the full count 22-19 NFC with the advantage.

b bulldog
11-04-2007, 07:10 PM
I think when this is mentioned it is mostly about teams like the Pats, Colts and Steelers.

Bretsky
11-04-2007, 08:07 PM
3 Separate Conferences

1. Indy and the Pats

2. NFC

3. AFC

#2 actually might be better than #3

HarveyWallbangers
11-04-2007, 11:05 PM
I think when this is mentioned it is mostly about teams like the Pats, Colts and Steelers.

I wouldn't lump the Steelers in there. Look who they have beaten: Cleveland (before Anderson took over), Buffalo, San Fran, Cincinnati, and Seattle. They've lost to Arizona and Denver. The top two in the AFC are clearly above everybody else, but the top NFC teams can hang with the rest of the AFC teams.

The Leaper
11-05-2007, 08:25 AM
The AFC has 2 great teams...and not much else. I'm not sold on the Steelers, and they are clearly the 3rd best team in the AFC. The other playoff contenders are really piss poor IMO...Titans? Ravens? Browns? Yuck.

The NFC has a stronger mix, although they don't have those 2 dominant teams. The NFC is 6 deep with DAL, GB, NY, DET, NO, and TB. Hell, the Vikings are even better than some of the AFC playoff contenders IMO.

The AFC is not a better conference top to bottom right now IMO. They have the 2 best teams overall, but probably only have one other team capable of being in the top 10 in the league. The downfall of the Bengals, Chargers and Broncos really took the wind out of their sails.

4and12to12and4
11-05-2007, 08:34 AM
The AFC has 2 great teams...and not much else. I'm not sold on the Steelers, and they are clearly the 3rd best team in the AFC. The other playoff contenders are really piss poor IMO...Titans? Ravens? Browns? Yuck.

The NFC has a stronger mix, although they don't have those 2 dominant teams. The NFC is 6 deep with DAL, GB, NY, DET, NO, and TB. Hell, the Vikings are even better than some of the AFC playoff contenders IMO.

The AFC is not a better conference top to bottom right now IMO. They have the 2 best teams overall, but probably only have one other team capable of being in the top 10 in the league. The downfall of the Bengals, Chargers and Broncos really took the wind out of their sails.

Nicely stated. And yesterdays shellacing of the AFC by the NFC is proof of that. Especially the Queens and Saints beating supposedly two top tier teams in the AFC, and the Saints kicked their asses. Gerrard must not have played in that game, however, come to think of it.

LL2
11-05-2007, 08:58 AM
As good as the Packers are doing, and it looks like they might get a 1st rd bye, I do not think they could beat either the Patriots or Colts in the SB.