PDA

View Full Version : The Playoff Picture

4and12to12and4
11-04-2007, 08:04 PM
If you look at the playoff picture, it's unreal. We could lose 5 or 6 of our last 8 games and still make the playoffs. BTW, I wrote a post earlier today claiming that the NFC isn't as bad as everyone claims, and that was shown today, look at the games. Vikes beat Chargers. Saints beat Jacksonville, etc. etc. If we make the playoffs, anything can happen guys, this season is exciting as hell.

Brando19
11-04-2007, 08:09 PM
True. I hope the Pack wins 6 or 7 of these last 8 games and gains homefield advantage w/a bye. GO PACK GO!

4and12to12and4
11-04-2007, 08:17 PM
I think 5 more wins wraps it up, although, we have a lot of AFC wins which doesn't help in tyebreakers. This is so weird it's like the mid nineties all over again, except the 49er's suck. This season is friggin' awesome. We just keep winning and winning and winning. It's trippin' me out. It doesn't seem real. If we can take care of the rest of our division games, we are set for at least a first round bye, a first round bye, unreal.

]{ilr]3
11-04-2007, 08:21 PM
I think 5 more wins wraps it up, although, we have a lot of AFC wins which doesn't help in tyebreakers. This is so weird it's like the mid nineties all over again, except the 49er's suck. This season is friggin' awesome. We just keep winning and winning and winning. It's trippin' me out. It doesn't seem real. If we can take care of the rest of our division games, we are set for at least a first round bye, a first round bye, unreal.

We have some really nice NFC East wins under our belt already though!

I really hope we can wrap up a 1st week bye

4and12to12and4
11-04-2007, 08:23 PM
{ilr]3]

Yeah, if we can get a bye in the playoffs we have as good a chance as anyone to get to the Superbowl, can you believe we are even talking about this? Unreal. I'm on Cloud 10!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Charles Woodson
11-04-2007, 08:25 PM
{ilr]3]

Yeah, if we can get a bye in the playoffs we have as good a chance as anyone to get to the Superbowl, can you believe we are even talking about this? Unreal. I'm on Cloud 10!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

cloud 10?

im on cloud 100!!

Lurker64
11-04-2007, 08:28 PM
What I'd really hope is that Detroit starts losing some games so we can lock up the division. 7-1 and being tied for first in the NFC is great, but at 6-2 in second place is a team in our division.

It's entirely possible that the north has a wildcard team with 10-11 (or even 12) wins and the South or West has a division winner with 8 wins.

I don't want to get double digit wins and end up playing on the road in the first week of the playoffs.

4and12to12and4
11-04-2007, 08:39 PM
Well, the way I look at it, we are going to have to beat them to win the division. It's that simple. We need to win the rest of our division games. We might be able to lose one more, but to get homefield throughout we will have to win out in division games. I hope we match up well against Detroit.

Lurker64
11-04-2007, 08:46 PM
At least the Lions have a bunch of tough games remaining. We might end up tied against them after next week, but after that they play the Giants and the Packers at home, the Vikings on the road, the Cowboys at home, the Chargers on the Road, the Chiefs at home, and the Packers on the road.

That's a tough schedule down the road. They could lose any of those games. Let's hope they lose enough of them.

b bulldog
11-04-2007, 08:54 PM
Lions are for real

4and12to12and4
11-04-2007, 09:11 PM
Lions are for real

Agreed, and I held that position in the offseason. I predicted the Bears to win the division due to tiebreakers over the Lions and we came in third with 9 wins. They are for real, but I think our team's badass attitude is the difference, they just think they are great on defense and have a chip on their shoulder, and I see Kitna getting sacked 7 times by us at least. We match up well with them I think. I hope.

b bulldog
11-04-2007, 09:15 PM
I don't see our team having a bad ass tude at all. What I see is three very good wr's and one very good QB AT THE MOMENT AND AN OPPROTUNISTIC d THAT USUALLY GETS THE JOB DONE. I think we will lose at the Lions on Turkey day and than again the next week at Dallas and that will eliminate us from being the number one seed.

4and12to12and4
11-04-2007, 09:24 PM
I don't see our team having a bad ass tude at all. What I see is three very good wr's and one very good QB AT THE MOMENT AND AN OPPROTUNISTIC d THAT USUALLY GETS THE JOB DONE. I think we will lose at the Lions on Turkey day and than again the next week at Dallas and that will eliminate us from being the number one seed.

Did you're bulldog die today man? What the hell? We just went into the worst stadium and beat KC on a short week. We are 7-1, and you are talking all this negative shit. Chill dude, these are good times, let's dream a little, that's what the season is all about. When you're 7-1, you are allowed to start questioning how far we can go. Romo threw 5 fucking interceptions against the shitty Bills and barely won the game because the Bills did everything they could to give them the game over and over. They have many weaknesses including a QB who thinks he's Brett Favre and when he faces him I guarantee that fucks with him, and he has a horrible game. If we beat the Queens and the Lions twice, we are set for a Superbowl run.

b bulldog
11-04-2007, 09:26 PM
Just being realistic, that's all :lol: I won't argue about this cause I hope your right but I just don't see it yet.

4and12to12and4
11-04-2007, 09:39 PM
You're probably right, buddy, I'm just on a bit of a high today, I really expected deep inside for us to lose this game just like every other freakin' week, and it just makes me think who knows, with Favre anything is possible with the defense he has behind him.

b bulldog
11-04-2007, 09:42 PM
Great point and I love seeing Packer fridays again here in WI and all is good on Monday after a Packers win but lets go one week at a time and just enjoy the ride. Is football great or what??

4and12to12and4
11-04-2007, 09:49 PM
Great point and I love seeing Packer fridays again here in WI and all is good on Monday after a Packers win but lets go one week at a time and just enjoy the ride. Is football great or what??

You said it buddy, this is a great season, and I am enjoying the hell out of it, it's especially good because it's so damn unexpected, it's what makes it better than the Sherman years when we expected to make noise in the playoffs, this is a great Cinderella story and if we keep it up for two more weeks, all the National Media will be giving more love to Favre than he's ever had his entire career. And if we end up 12and4 (like my screenname prediction) or higher, they fucking better give the MVP to Favre, because he means more to this team than Brady or Manning, because he doesn't have the weapons, which makes him the most valuable to his team. Can you imagine if he got his fourth. Do you see it as a possibility at all?

b bulldog
11-04-2007, 09:51 PM
You just posted that we are as good as the others :oops: talent wise

4and12to12and4
11-04-2007, 10:01 PM
Damn, as I was writing that, I was wondering if you were gonna catch that or not. Nice, your on your game. Damn. Well, there goes that argument. Nice call. :cry:

digitaldean
11-04-2007, 10:20 PM

Only thing that could be an issue is the division race with the Lions. Playing in Detroit is a trap at Turkey Day. Now double it with the Lions just 1 game back.

The only real game we could coast in is vs. the Raiders.

Otherwise, man alive, what a trifecta of road wins... Now we've got to be lights out at home. We've got to get the home field adv., that's key.

footballfever
11-04-2007, 11:10 PM
well hold the phone now. Everyone keeps talkin home field advantage, hell take the bye and ask to play the next team on the road. Statistically speaking in Mike McCarthy's short run here we are a much better road team. Before we get home field advantage we have to reestablish the dominance that comes from the home field crowd and not just any home field this is Lambeau F'in Field we are talkin about here people should be scared sh*tless to come play here. We've lost that in recent years, we have to win the rest of our games at home this year above anything else.

MadtownPacker
11-04-2007, 11:32 PM
Yeah playoff bye is no where in range yet. The bottom half of the NFC sucks but the mid range teams could make a move with half the season to go. Beating the lions is going to matter more then beating the cowboys.

Spaulding
11-05-2007, 09:16 AM
Thankfully it's not at the Silverdome (house of horrors) and instead at Ford Field where I think we have a fighting chance. Then again, Thanksgiving historically has been more thankful for the Lions than their opponents.

Here's to McCarthy and company changing that :)

The Leaper
11-05-2007, 09:26 AM
I think the Cowboys game is VERY important. I want to have HFA against that team...Owens and Romo don't scare me nearly as much in January in Lambeau. Romo isn't a big guy...his hands could be a factor in cold weather.

If we split with the Loins, we are OK. Just don't get swept.

Carolina_Packer
11-05-2007, 09:33 AM
We often talk about player performances here, but how about the coaching that is going on here? How about the job McCarthy and staff are doing to get these guys ready and stay focused and execute? Wonderful. What is that worth going forward?

Think of this...if Mike McCarthy is doing this well as a head coach with the youngest team in the NFL and key veteran talent, imagine what he can become as a head coach?

LL2
11-05-2007, 10:29 AM
The Lions and Cowboys games will be huge! The Pack need to keep winning. Hopefully the Packers players will be awarded more turkey drumsticks than the Lions players. Hopefully we catch them on an off day too. They seems to be either really good or mediocre. What the Packers really need is a statement game against either one of those two.

Merlin
11-05-2007, 11:00 AM
I don't think it's going to matter a whole lot where we play the Cowboys. Romo is from Wisconsin so I am sure the cold won't bother him a bit. Owens played in Philly and if I remember right, that was the last season they used Veteran's Field, arguably the worst field in the NFL. And the weather in Philly, Washington D.C. and New York, isn't that vastly different in regards to the cold and the Cowboys play there every year. The main difference would be the field conditions. The Packers have that new synthetic/real grass field this year so it remains to be seen how that will work out in the bad weather. Snow would be to our advantage, but only to Favre since he has played in it for 16 seasons. Other then that, our team is so young that the snow is as much a factor against us as it is for us.

For us to have any chance of a first round bye, we need to win our division first. We have 8 games remaining, 4 of them are divisional games. We must win all 4 if the Lions are for real. 4-2 does not guarantee us the division so a split with the Lions is only going to complicate things for us. The Vikings have a real running game. Their offensive line is run blocking well right now and Adrian Peterson IS the real deal. We can't count that as a W yet either. We should beat Chicago in Chicago because that is like our second home down there. If we win all 4 division games that puts us at least to 11-5. We "should" beat the Raiders and the Rams. That would make us 13-3.

Detroit has a hard schedule remaining. Currently they are 6-2, having beaten 2 teams with winning records and a combine W-L of 27-38 (.415%). Their remaining 8 games have 4 teams with winning records and 2 at .500. The combined W-L for the last 8 games is 41-23 (.641%). We will see where the Lions end up outside of their two games with us.

Green Bay has a tough schedule remaining as well. We are currently 7-1, having beaten 2 teams with winning records and 3 teams with .500 records. They are a combined W-L 32-32 (.500). Our remaining 8 games are against 3 teams with winning records and 1 team at .500. Their W-L ratio is 31-33(.484). So there is no real drop off for us and 4 of those games are within the division and only one of them is an AFC game that we could afford to lose.