PDA

View Full Version : Bedard : KC Post game chat

motife
11-04-2007, 08:31 PM
Q: Rick of Beverly MA - Greg, My question has to do with reporters' objectivity. You had no connection w/Green Bay, so it is not difficult for you to be objective w/the Packers. But you have mentioned you're a fan of the Red Sox. Could you be objective if you covered them for a Boston newspaper? Columnists Bob Ryan, Dan Shaughnessy and Jackie MacMullen seem to be fans of the Sox and are writers for the Boston Globe. Ron Borges was disliked by most because he was too objective covering the Patriots. Bob McGinn and Cliff Cristl both have claimed they have no fan allegiance to the Packers. Can a writer be a fan and still effectively cover a team?

A: Greg Bedard - An interesting question to start this off with, but let's answer it. No, you can't be a fan and cover a team. It colors your thinking about what you're actually seeing. The truth is, I bet it wouldn't take long for you to lose your allegiance after you start covering a team. The analogy I use when people ask me this question is from Stars Wars. Covering an NFL team is kind of like seeing Vader with his helmet off for the first time. You're never the same after you're witness to the inner workings of a team. And I think those Globe writers would take issue with your characterization. I don't think any of them are Red Sox fans. At least they don't write that way.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Q: Tom of Marquette, MI - Greg, Nice work thus far on the Packer beat. Daryn Colledge got manhandled in the first half. If this continues, do you anticipate Spitz taking over at LG anytime soon? Colledge has not had a stellar first half of the season.

A: Greg Bedard - I would have thought Colledge, the weak link on that line, to have been replaced long ago. In my opinion, I feel the best line would be Clifton, Moll, Wells, Coston, and Tauscher. And if I could substitute for Clifton on running plays, I would do that as well. Of course you can't do that, but you get my point.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Q: Toast of Nekoosa - Wow! What a dumb call at the end of the half. With a third and long, why not just run the ball and punt. MM ouch! Thanks!

A: Greg Bedard - I'm wondering what the real story is on that play -- maybe Favre lobbied for it -- because that call was so un-McCarthy it's not even funny. Just the week before, McCarthy said he didn't take a time out after Kampman's big sack of Cutler because McCarthy knew the Packers would get the ball to start the second half. Well, they got the ball to start the second half against the Chiefs. After the Morency lateral/incompletion, I would have called it quits and just run the ball. But I just find it funny that a lot of the same people that have criticized McCarthy for being so conservative in those situations, will now blame him. The blame falls on Favre. He has to manage the game better there. That's his job.
Q: Jeff B of The ORO Valley AZ - It seemed curious to me that Koren Robinson was so involved on the offense? It seems as though Favre was really trying to get it in his hands. What does he offer that our other receivers don't?

A: Greg Bedard - I don't think that he was that involved. He was barely on the field in the first half. I don't know what he has. I haven't seen enough of him, and neither has the Packers.
Q: Paul of Viroqua, WI - The press usually has high praise for the talent of Al Harris. While I think he's a much better than average CB I don't think he's as good as he thinks he is? Your thoughts?

A: Greg Bedard - Harris is very good. It's really gone unsaid how hurt Harris has been all season. He's very good. Packers fans should be lucky Jarrett Bush or anybody else they have is out there. Then you'd really see how good Al Harris is.
Q: Mike of Platteville - Hi Greg. Exciting game, wasn't it? What's your sense of the progress of the running game? It looked better to my untrained eye, though the numbers weren't eye-popping.

A: Greg Bedard - I thought it was fine. Again McCarthy didn't feed it enough, as the Packers only had 25 carries among RBs in a game that was close throughout. They need to be around 30, like they were against the Broncos. Tauscher is doing a hell of job cutting on the back end. I wish I could say the same for Clifton.
Q: Craig Danula of Grand Forks AFB, North Dakota - Seems like there is a real focus on Woodson and Harris's physical play the past few games. On the play where Woodson was flagged for holding tony gonzalez, gonzalez pushed off after that. should off-setting penalties have been called there?

A: Greg Bedard - I don't know about that. You wouldn't have had the other contact without Woodson grabbing Gonzalez. That's the way they play. They're always going to be flagged. They're very aggressive.
Q: Pete of Phoenix - Greg Its clear that Ted did the right thing keeping 11 defensive lineman. The group looked tired in the 4th quarter and they need everyone they have. I think he has done a real good job as our GM, your thoughts?

A: Greg Bedard - I was surprised Colin Cole wasn't active instead of Mike Montgomery, and it almost cost the Packers when Williams went down. You have no idea how valuable it is to have that rotation in this defense. I think I've been on record here saying that Thompson has done a great job here so far. Some short-sighted fans obviously still disagree.
Q: Steven of Washington, DC - "For all the fans that subscribe to the 'McCarthy is way too conservative' theory, that Favre interception before halftime was for you." I thought your position is that McCarthy was not conservative at all in the second half of the Bears game. Which is it--that he's smart to be conservative or that he's actually not conservative at all??

A: Greg Bedard - What, because I said McCarthy was too conservative at the end of the first half in Denver, suddenly I'm contracting myself? I think that's absurd.
Q: Mike of Dallas - How much will we miss Favre when he is retired? Does Aaron Rogers have those types of plays in him?

A: Greg Bedard - Nobody has any idea. What we know is that Rodgers has looked good when he's played in the preseason and practice. But you good or great QBs are made when they have to do things on the fly. That's something that Jeff Tedford-tutored QBs, like Rodgers, have struggled mightily with. We won't know until Rodgers is under the gun.
Q: George of Madison, Wisconsin - At the beginning of the year, conventional wisdom said Favre didn't have enough weapons. Do you think people would still say that, or have Lee, Jennings, and Jones developed enough to give Favre the targets he needs in addition to Driver? PS: How tough is Donald Driver? Sheesh. That guy is made of steel.

A: Greg Bedard - As long as Lee, Jennings, Jones, Driver and Robinson stay healthy, the Packers' group is very good. There isn't much depth after that, however. But I think the critics of that group has been proving wrong. Jennings is a star.
Q: James of Grand Forks, ND - I know this team won't ever be the 2007 Patriots, but which Pats team from the past do see it most resembling: the 2001 Pats, a team that never dominated but just seemed to win games, including a Super upset, or the 1985 Pats, a team good enough to win its conference, but one that ultimately got embarrassed in the Super Bowl?

A: Greg Bedard - Very, very good question. I would have to say the 2001 Pats, because of the Packers' defense. That unit will keep them in just about every game. Remember, this scheme has given the Pats fits over the years.
Q: Tom of State College, PA - Great win today, another nail-biter to the end. My question is about the health of Collins and Williams. Do the knee injuries appear to be serious?

A: Greg Bedard - On Williams, no. He said he could have went back into the game, but the trainers wanted to be cautious. Collins' injury does appear to be serious. They won't know the extent of the damage until an MRI is done Monday. But he couldn't bend the leg in the locker room, and left on crutches. If it's not season-ending, I would expect him to miss one or two games.
Q: John Casper of Milwaukee - Journal coverage has been terrific. It looked to me as though Brett didn't get the ball to Grant on their fumbled exchange. IIRC, the ball carrier is supposed to be reading the blockers. Since McCarthy put Brandon Jackson at the end, perhaps I got that wrong? Also, it's clear that Kurt Schottenheimer does not call penalties in practice the way NFL officials call them in games. My guess is that the Packers defensive backs lead the league in penalties. None of this however, takes away from a great victory in a very tough place to play.

A: Greg Bedard - Thanks for the compliment. The TVS were positioned so badly in the press box, it was really tough for us to tell who was at fault. But Favre hasn't exactly been fleet of foot getting back to the RBs this year. You're going to have to accept the DB penalties. With the way they play, they're always going to be the most penalized team. Just be thankful it hasn't cost the team a win...yet.
Q: Todd of Beaver Dam - What does Atari Flagme have to do to find a seat on the pine or a spot in the unemployment line??

A: Greg Bedard - Who else is going to play, especially now that Collins is hurt. I think teams have realized that Bigby isn't good going back on the ball. He's vey good coming up and making tackles in run support or on short passes. But he's a liability when he's goes back in pass defense. I was surprised how slow he was getting to Gonzalez on that TD. It took Bigby about five minutes to get over there.
Q: Brian G. of Chippewa Falls, WI - GB's successful challenge was a huge turning point. Which members of the coaching staff are resposible for telling McCarthy to throw the red flag? Do they see the same replays that Fox shows us? Thanks, Greg

A: Greg Bedard - They do see the same replays. There wasn't much of a replay in the stadium, so McCarthy had to rely on his coaches. Here's what McCarthy said after the game: "The call came from the box and it was a great job by the coaches. I did not see it; we didn't get the replay down below. That call came from the coaches' box and that was a great job on their behalf."
Q: Ron Blank of Ottawa, Canada - The Packers looked like a team that had a short week for much of th egame. However, once again they found the energy, made some plays and prevailed. With Adrian Peterson coming into town next week, what adjustments are they going to need to stop him? Can they just load the box with 8 or 9 defenders?

A: Greg Bedard - Without question. With whatever terrible QB the Vikings throw out there, the Packers will put everybody in the box and dare the Vikings to pass. I would expect the Packers to contain AP next week. They're much more physical at the point than most teams. But there's no questions what AP has done is unbelieveable. Let's see if he stays healthy.
Q: Brett F of Crescent City, CA - Great win. 7-1...unbelievable. But what's up with the penalties??? It seems to me this area of the Packer's game is getting worse each week. I haven't heard much talk about it, but its a sign of an undisciplined team and they really need to improve in this area.

A: Greg Bedard - I don't get into that stuff, sorry. There's just so many intangibles. But they'll definitely be in the playoffs, and that's all that really matters.
Q: Chris Kobe of Austin, TX - Greg, what did you think of the offensive line today? The running game struggled again, but they were facing and outstanding front 7. As Farve always says, the game usually comes down to a couple big plays, if you make them you win, if the other team makes them, you lose. We made them, we won.

A: Greg Bedard - Outstanding? I wouldn't go nearly that far. Hali is good in spurts, Allen is very good and Derrick Johnson makes a play once in a while. But Napolean Harris and Donnie Edwards have really slowed. The offensive line was OK. Colledge struggled again. He's just not very strong. And yes, every game comes down to a handful of plays. So far, the Packers have been making the majority of those plays.
Q: Evan of Chicago - Hello Greg, great work so far with the blog and chats. How about some talk for Aaron Kampment for NFL Defensive MVP. The guy is playing at an All-Pro level every week.

A: Greg Bedard - Couldn't agree with you more. Kampman has been great so far. So has Barnett and Woodson.
Q: Daren of Sydney, Aus - How on earth does the youngest team in the league keep winning in HOSTILE environments like Minnesota, Denver, KC. I'm amazed and LOVING the ride...

A: Greg Bedard - That is really mind boggling to me. Those three wins have been terrific. I thought there was no way this team could go from playing in altitude, have a short week, and then go into Arrowhead and win. But I was wrong, again. I think the youth you speak of is a big reason why they've done this. For one, they recover quicker than an older team. And secondly, they just don't know any better. They have no fear.
Q: Jamie E. of Milwaukee of thee Wisconsin - Greg, is it past time for McCarthy to get in the officials ear before the game and tell them to stop penalizing Woodson and Harris for aggressive defense that doesn't warrant a flag? It's obvious the zebras are targeting Woodson because the pass interference call where he was outpacing the receiver was ridiculous!!!

A: Greg Bedard - McCarthy complaining about it wouldn't do any good, sorry. Was the call on Woodson bad? I don't know. He didn't allow the receiver to complete his route. And, remember, the rule is you can't make contact after 5 yards or when the ball is in he air. It's safe to say Woodson did that. That's how they play. Get used to it. There's nothing anybody can do about it. Their strategy is they will win out in the end when the officials don't call as many penalties -- much like the Patriots used to play. Just live with it. The Packers are.
Q: BobbyBill of Inbred, WI - Greg, any news on Collin's injury? Also, were you able to watch Rouse at all after he went in?

A: Greg Bedard - Answered the first part already. I really wasn't able to watch Rouse that much. I'll have to watch the game to see how he did.
Q: Bill Nelson of Washington, DC - Great win, at probably the toughest venue in the league, but wondering about Al Harris, is he just banged up, or has he hit the wall physically?

A: Greg Bedard - Banged up. And still better than most guys.
Q: kurt Pomm of simi valley - Morency doesn't look right - still hurt? Jackson appears to be 3rd down back. Why did they run Jackson before last field goal instead of Grant??

A: Greg Bedard - He is still not 100 percent, won't be this season. That second one is a good question. Maybe the Minnesota fumble, and the one today was a factor, probably was. But Jackson was also a little fresher.
Q: Devin of Singapore - Hey Greg, Once again a great, but ugly victory. I know you wrote this week we need to sit back and enjoy the ride but I keep wondering when the wheels are going to fall off. This isn't old fashion Packer anxiety talking because it seemed to me during those prime Favre years we were much more confident that Reggie, LeRoy, Favre, etc. would take over the game. Now obviously players are stepping up (Favre, Jennings, Woodson) but it is surrounded by penalties and inconsistant play. Do you sense that the coaches and players are going to be able to correct some of these things before the end of the year or do we just live with these issues until someone exploits them better than our opponents thus far?

A: Greg Bedard - I don't understand why there is segment of the fanbase that always views the glass as half empty. You don't get style points in this league, you either win or you lose. And the Packers are 7-1. Will the team improve as the season moves along? Yes, I think they will. A little. But through half of the schedule, no one has taken advantage of any shortcomings the Packers have. No one is going to exploit the Packers until the NFC championship game or the Super Bowl. Get used to it. The best looking team doesn't win the Super Bowl. The best team wins the Super Bowl. At 7-1, these Packers have been among the best.
Q: Rob Dizzle of Minneapolis - Greg- Now that the NFL is at the mid-season point, many will start giving out the Mid-Season report card. What grade would you give the Packers? Now that we're 7-1, will the Packers start getting the respect they have deserved all along?

A: Greg Bedard - You'd have to give the Packers an A based on their record. No one picked them to go 7-1, not even Bob McGinn. I think winning back-to-back at Denver and KC has solidified the respect for this team around the league. Not many teams can do that.
Q: Paul of Viroqua, WI - It occurs to me that if the Packers would have drafted Adrian Peterson instead of Justin Harrell, and, if they had signed Randy Moss vs. drafting James Jones, we could be easily be 7 - 1 and leading the NFC North.

A: Greg Bedard - (That sound you hear is me laughing out loud in the Kansas City pressbox. A few people turned around to look at me. That's really funny, Paul. And oh so true. Good on you.)
Q: James of Brookfield - I know hind sight is 20/20 but imagine if the Packers had acquired Randy Moss - and used there 1 (Justin Harrell) 2 (Brandon Jackson) and 3 (James Jones) to move up and get Adrian Peterson in the draft - geesh!

A: Greg Bedard - I just have to put this question on the chat. It was, seriously, right after Paul's post.
Q: Gar Saeger of Oceanside, CA - Hi Greg, Another exciting finish again. I know it's quite early in the season but how about McCarthy for coach of the year? There's no way I would have ever thought this team could be where they are at. Now to gear up for the A. Peterson rushing attack next week...

A: Greg Bedard - You're chatting with one guy who has been very impressed with McCarthy since I got here. I don't think there's any question he's the coach of the year at this point.
Q: AJQ of Milwaukee - OK, Greg, you'll get a hundred of these: what was the story on the squib kick when we went up 23-22, since we had done a good job covering kick-offs the entire game and KC frequently started behind their 20?

A: Greg Bedard - With KC having no timeouts, I don't have a problem with that. But if they had even one, I wouldn't have squibbed. But you can't base what might happen on one kickoff return on what happened early. Those kickoffs scare me. So many things can go wrong and boom, they're at the 50 or worse.
Q: Scott Mitchell of Toronto, Ontario - Greg, my kingdom for someone that can cover a TE. Was Colledge as live bad as he looked on TV?

A: Greg Bedard - Yes, the packers still have trouble covering the TE. Bob Sanders is really touchy about it when we asked him. Well, if you don't like the questions, why don't you cover one of those guys? They've had plenty of opportunities to get it right. Yes, Colledge was that bad. Not a big fan.
Q: Bruce Mantei of Overgaard, AZ - Dear Greg: Thanks for bringing some new life to the usual excellent Packer coverge. Did coach discuss the aggressive philosophy going into the half?? Using timeouts trying to get FG leads to giving KC a chance. The Chiefs had zero offense in the first half. The pick gives them new life. Regards, Bruce

A: Greg Bedard - I didn't get a chance to hear him, I was in the locker room. But that's on Favre. He knows the situation. He has to manage that better.
Q: Peter of Negaunee MI - Greg, do you think if Woodson was a Team captain the officials would throw a flag on him at the coin toss ?

A: Greg Bedard - LOL
Q: kurt Pomm of simi valley - Greg - Can you elaborate - why you are so impressed with McCarthy? Thank you! I am impressed with how Thompson has rebuilt the team in a little over 2 years

A: Greg Bedard - Two things have really stood out to me about McCarthy. One, he has a great feel for what the players need, as far as rest and whether they need tough love, or a pat on the back. The players really respond for him for that reason. The other is he devises gameplans to win that one game. I can't tell you how many coaches are just flat-out stubborn, even to the detriment of their team. Give McCarthy credit for doing what's necessary, even if it doesn't pad his ego. And Thompson has done a very good job getting this team to this point, when they were in serious trouble a few years ago. Gotta go write some stories. See you around the blog.

GBRulz
11-04-2007, 09:00 PM
This one was my fav......

Q: Peter of Negaunee MI - Greg, do you think if Woodson was a Team captain the officials would throw a flag on him at the coin toss ?

A: Greg Bedard - LOL

retailguy
11-04-2007, 09:16 PM
Q: Paul of Viroqua, WI - It occurs to me that if the Packers would have drafted Adrian Peterson instead of Justin Harrell, and, if they had signed Randy Moss vs. drafting James Jones, we could be easily be 7 - 1 and leading the NFC North.

A: Greg Bedard - (That sound you hear is me laughing out loud in the Kansas City pressbox. A few people turned around to look at me. That's really funny, Paul. And oh so true. Good on you.)
Q: James of Brookfield - I know hind sight is 20/20 but imagine if the Packers had acquired Randy Moss - and used there 1 (Justin Harrell) 2 (Brandon Jackson) and 3 (James Jones) to move up and get Adrian Peterson in the draft - geesh!

A: Greg Bedard - I just have to put this question on the chat. It was, seriously, right after Paul's post.

These were pretty good too. The first one qualifies as "priceless".

RashanGary
11-04-2007, 09:21 PM
Him and McGinn both rip on the TT haters. I really like that about them.

VegasPackFan
11-04-2007, 09:21 PM
Yes. I actually did laugh out loud at that one.

swede
11-04-2007, 09:29 PM
Bedard is growing on me. He seems to have the attitude that he'd prefer being respected over being liked--and yet he's approachable with a sense of humor.

His comments about Colledge are blunt without being mean, and I have no doubt that he could change his point of view honestly and openly should Colledge put it all together and begin to play well later this year.

He has my attention and is gaining my trust.

Don't get me wrong...he aint no Cleft Crusty...

MJZiggy
11-04-2007, 09:35 PM
speaking of whom...where is ol' Cleft? Kidneys shut down again or what?

Bretsky
11-04-2007, 10:07 PM
No he is not

RashanGary
11-04-2007, 10:09 PM
Bedard is growing on me. He seems to have the attitude that he'd prefer being respected over being liked--and yet he's approachable with a sense of humor.

His comments about Colledge are blunt without being mean, and I have no doubt that he could change his point of view honestly and openly should Colledge put it all together and begin to play well later this year.

I agree 100% I'm starting to look forward to reading this guys stuff.

Bretsky
11-04-2007, 10:17 PM

I agree 100% I'm starting to look forward to reading this guys stuff.

I still don't think he adds much information