PDA

View Full Version : Are we a legit Superbowl contender this year

4and12to12and4
11-04-2007, 08:35 PM
We are 7-1 people. 7-1. It doesn't even seem real. We should be 8-0. If the Cowboys lose to rival Eagles tonight, we are in position for homefield advantage throughout the playoffs (although with our home record vs. away record, I don't know if that's a good thing). Is this just some kind of fluky season where shit just keeps happening to go our way? Or are we actually this good? 7-1. It's not just luck that the Pats and Colts and Cowboys are in this league as far as wins loses. Are we as good as them? Can we play with these guys? We are 7-1. 7-1. I just can't say it enough, it's unbelievable. We have won 11 of our last 12 games going back to last year. How can that be luck? We must be that good. Is Brett reformed and even better than he has been the past few years? Are our receivers true bigtime players that are dangerous weapons? Is our defense a top 5 defense? What are you're thoughts. I'm dizzied by every time I see Favre celebrate after a win. It just doesn't seem real. Are we this good?

Bretsky
11-04-2007, 08:41 PM
We are a legit playoff team in the NFC

If the ball bounces our way we might see the NFC Championship game, maybe even the Super Bowl. But we could get bounced in the first round as well

If we play Indy or NE we're way out of our league IMO. They are at a different level right now.

Lurker64
11-04-2007, 08:42 PM
We haven't played anybody that this team clearly wouldn't be able to beat so far, and we haven't had the easiest schedule so far, so why not? We're relatively free of injuries and we've seen enough life from every aspect of our game to give us hope.

It would take an epic collapse to not make the playoffs at this point, and once you get in, anything can happen.

Are we the favorites to represent the NFL in the superbowl? Not until we beat Dallas and even then, the "experts" might like the Giants (who we beat) better. But who cares who the favorites are?

Joemailman
11-04-2007, 08:45 PM
Most games are decided by a few big plays, and the Packers have playmakers on both sides of the ball. Today it was Woodson. This was a 1 point game until Woodson's punt return to set up the field goal, and then the interception to ice the game. The combination of Favre/Jennings on offense and the Defense will keep the Packers close enough in every game that if they continue to make those big plays, they have a great chance to win any game.

Partial
11-04-2007, 08:47 PM
We are a legit playoff team in the NFC

If the ball bounces our way we might see the NFC Championship game, maybe even the Super Bowl. But we could get bounced in the first round as well

If we play Indy or NE we're way out of our league IMO. They are at a different level right now.

I wouldn't say that just yet. 9/10 they might win, but any given sunday..

b bulldog
11-04-2007, 08:51 PM
B, I agree with you. We could lose at home in our first playoff game or we could meet Dallas and lose in the NFC championship game.

RashanGary
11-04-2007, 08:53 PM
I think this team has as good of chance as any Sherman lead team of the last 6 or 7 years.

I think the Packers are right there with Dallas, NY, Detroit and whoever else rises to the top of the NFC.

4and12to12and4
11-04-2007, 08:57 PM
I just don't think that Indy and Pats are that much better than us. Yes they are a little better, a little more balanced, but if you break it down, we have better corners than both of them, our overall defense if better than both of them, our QB is on the same level as them, our receivers are getting to be comparable to Indy's and that doesn't matter, because our receivers won't be shut down like theirs will be because of their lack of shut down corners. Our linebackers are better than the Colts and I think even better than the Pats because they are too slow due to age. Our defensive line is better than the Pats and maybe even the Colts, that's close. The safety position is our biggest weakness where they both have us there, but with Lee having the year he's having, their TE's aren't that much better if better at all. I would give the edge to Dallas Clark, but Lee is really lighting it up. Breaking it down, it could be a game, and definitely wouldn't resemble last years game where Coach Bill knew what play we were calling before we did, cheating bastard. I just think we are maybe not AS good but not that far either. A couple of good bounces here and there, and who knows.

gbgary
11-04-2007, 09:01 PM
Are we a legit Superbowl contender this year

contender to got there...yes. it'll be the Pack, dallas or maybe the giants from the nfc. probably dallas. i don't think we match-up very well with them. contender to win...not a chance. the afc rep will win this year unless pittsburg somehow gets there. it's been a very fun year so far. one to remember for sure.

b bulldog
11-04-2007, 09:01 PM
Your crazy! Both D's are far better than ours and both O's are far, far better than ours. We may not even be the best team in the north.

GBRulz
11-04-2007, 09:03 PM
I just want to take one week at a time. This is what gets teams into trouble, when they start looking ahead too much.

Now, how about this question.... do I bring a broom to the game next week or not? :wink:

BallHawk
11-04-2007, 09:06 PM
Now, how about this question.... do I bring a broom to the game next week or not? :wink:

Something to distract Peterson would be nice, too.

4and12to12and4
11-04-2007, 09:07 PM
Your crazy! Both D's are far better than ours and both O's are far, far better than ours. We may not even be the best team in the north.

OK, you go through their defense player by player and tell me how that is possible. Our d line is better, our corners are better, our linebackers are better because those old men may still be savvy and experienced, but Addai today showed how slow and old they really are when a quick explosive offensive player is in the open field with them. I don't see where they are so much better other than the safety position.

The Colts corners are nothing to write home about, neither are their backers, they have two good defensive ends, and a great safety. That's it. All in all, we're better up and down the roster.

MJZiggy
11-04-2007, 09:09 PM

I'd have a suggestion but she's not that kind of girl...

GBRulz
11-04-2007, 09:09 PM

How could i get him some ExLax brownies for breakfast?

b bulldog
11-04-2007, 09:10 PM
The Pats are built for bad weather days at Foxboro. You can't look at how they played on turf today and make any final judgement. Look at our D today, KC's O has been awful like the Bears but they were moving at will against us in the 2nd half. Indy's D puts great pressure on the QB and their whole D is predicated off of that.

b bulldog
11-04-2007, 09:13 PM
4th and 12, lets say you are correct. What excuse are you going to use when or if we play Dallas, Indy or the Pats and we lose by double digits when you say we are as good as those teams? The Pats just beat the Colts at home and now they are no good cause they only won by 4, you can't be serious?

4and12to12and4
11-04-2007, 09:18 PM
The Pats are built for bad weather days at Foxboro. You can't look at how they played on turf today and make any final judgement. Look at our D today, KC's O has been awful like the Bears but they were moving at will against us in the 2nd half. Indy's D puts great pressure on the QB and their whole D is predicated off of that.

Every team puts pressure on Favre, that's why we go with the two and three step drop, who cares, we put four and five receivers out there and Favre will find someone in the three seconds he has, nothing new, he's been doing it all year. Indy's DB's cannot handle our receivers and Brett's lazers. Their two defensive ends will just run into each other as Brett steps up in the pocket and fires completions.

I'm just siked right now cuz of our record, I know that we would probably get our asses handed to us by Pats or Indy, but, hey that's why they play them. Who would've thought the Vikings could beat the Chargers today. I should've called my bookie on that one, I can only imagine the odds on that game. They probably gave Minny 15 points.

retailguy
11-04-2007, 09:24 PM
I just don't think that Indy and Pats are that much better than us. Yes they are a little better, a little more balanced, but if you break it down, we have better corners than both of them, our overall defense if better than both of them, our QB is on the same level as them, our receivers are getting to be comparable to Indy's and that doesn't matter, because our receivers won't be shut down like theirs will be because of their lack of shut down corners. Our linebackers are better than the Colts and I think even better than the Pats because they are too slow due to age. Our defensive line is better than the Pats and maybe even the Colts, that's close. The safety position is our biggest weakness where they both have us there, but with Lee having the year he's having, their TE's aren't that much better if better at all. I would give the edge to Dallas Clark, but Lee is really lighting it up. Breaking it down, it could be a game, and definitely wouldn't resemble last years game where Coach Bill knew what play we were calling before we did, cheating bastard. I just think we are maybe not AS good but not that far either. A couple of good bounces here and there, and who knows.

:shock: Umm. I don't know quite what to say. You saw the two best teams play this afternoon, by a wide margin. Yes they have flaws, but they cover them better than anyone else. NE won every other game they've played by 17 pts. Indy hung right with them, and actually outplayed them until the final 5 minutes. You can break the team apart and look at the parts, but hey, that really is not fair. Both teams are just that, TEAMS. The sum of the whole exceeds the sum of the parts.

Green Bay, Pittsburg, San Diego, Seattle, Dallas and the Giants are not yet in that class. Dallas is probably the closest, with Pittsburg and Green Bay another notch back, but none of the above plays as a team the way the Colts and Pats do.

Anything can happen on any given Sunday, but today, I think it takes two AFC upsets to give the NFC a chance. I think Pitt probably could do it with Indy, but I don't see anyone right now that can upset the Pats, especially not in the playoffs.

Incidentally, I'm stunned that the Packers are 7-1, and am starting to become a believer (better late than never...) I didn't like Ted's short term plan, I wanted a few veterans, and Ahman Green.... (still miss him), but hey, you can't ignore 7-1.... You can't. Even I can't.

4and12to12and4
11-04-2007, 09:29 PM

:shock: Umm. I don't know quite what to say. You saw the two best teams play this afternoon, by a wide margin. Yes they have flaws, but they cover them better than anyone else. NE won every other game they've played by 17 pts. Indy hung right with them, and actually outplayed them until the final 5 minutes. You can break the team apart and look at the parts, but hey, that really is not fair. Both teams are just that, TEAMS. The sum of the whole exceeds the sum of the parts.

Green Bay, Pittsburg, San Diego, Seattle, Dallas and the Giants are not yet in that class. Dallas is probably the closest, with Pittsburg and Green Bay another notch back, but none of the above plays as a team the way the Colts and Pats do.

Anything can happen on any given Sunday, but today, I think it takes two AFC upsets to give the NFC a chance. I think Pitt probably could do it with Indy, but I don't see anyone right now that can upset the Pats, especially not in the playoffs.

Incidentally, I'm stunned that the Packers are 7-1, and am starting to become a believer (better late than never...) I didn't like Ted's short term plan, I wanted a few veterans, and Ahman Green.... (still miss him), but hey, you can't ignore 7-1.... You can't. Even I can't.

Dallas is overrated, and we are better than them just due to our defense being MUCH more talented than theirs. Take away TO, which we can do, and Romo will start throwing stupid pics, and give the game away. I don't see the Cowboys being better than us at all. Big deal, they have a better running game, their defense couldn't wear our defenses jocks.

BEARMAN
11-04-2007, 09:31 PM
I just don't think that Indy and Pats are that much better than us.

HOLD ON THERE BIG FELLER, ... "favre is GOD", "NFCN Champs" , "SB bound", "Better then the Pats", ... Waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay too much kool-aid flowing in here ! Reality check, please, .... Live by the big play, Die by the big play. The pack is playing way over their heads. Soon, it will all come crumbling down. I don't mean to pee in your punch, but, favre is GOD ? :shock:

4and12to12and4
11-04-2007, 09:37 PM
This from the guy who thought you had a prayer against the Colts last year in the Superbowl. At this moment, our defense is better than yours and the Colts, and our offense isn't even comparable to you guys and you made it to the Superbowl and made a half out of it, so with us being superior to the team you took to the Superbowl last year, with a defense about as good as yours at that time, and an actual offense that could score some points and keep Manning off the sidelines longer than 5 minutes, yeah, I think we could give them a good fight and it would be a close game.

b bulldog
11-04-2007, 09:38 PM
I see the Pack very much like the Bears when they've had good years as of late. Both teams have had some very good bounces and the injuries have been kept to a minimum but the main difference is the guy throwing the ball.

4and12to12and4
11-04-2007, 09:42 PM
I see the Pack very much like the Bears when they've had good years as of late. Both teams have had some very good bounces and the injuries have been kept to a minimum but the main difference is the guy throwing the ball.

And that is one hell of a difference!!!!

b bulldog
11-04-2007, 09:44 PM
Agree but I also think the bears D was much better.

GBRulz
11-04-2007, 09:52 PM
Dallas is overrated, and we are better than them just due to our defense being MUCH more talented than theirs. Take away TO, which we can do, and Romo will start throwing stupid pics, and give the game away. I don't see the Cowboys being better than us at all. Big deal, they have a better running game, their defense couldn't wear our defenses jocks.

I'm not worried about TO when we face Dallas. Ya know that position called a TE that we seem to struggle with? They have one of the best in the league IMO. That worries me more than anything else with Dallas. You can't ignore Romo, either. The kid is pretty damn good.

b bulldog
11-04-2007, 09:56 PM
Witten, TO and Jones along with their mamoth Oline worry me.

Fred's Slacks
11-04-2007, 09:58 PM
We're a good team but we definitely have some big holes. Everyone knows our RB and OG play has been less then stellar but at least there is some hope there. My hope is that Grant continues to run hard and Jackson/Morency can be good change of pace guys. I also have hope that Wells and Coston can get healthy and boot Coledge's worthless but (after today I've officially given up on him at least for this year) out of the starting lineup. If those to things happen, and its very possible that they will, we will be a legitimate SB threat.

However my biggest worry, and the thing that will most likely keep us from having a shot at winning it, is our inability to even come close to containing any TE. Its ridiculous how bad of a problem it has been. And if that hasn't been fixed after 9 weeks, I don't think its going to fix itself. Our only hope there is that the light goes on for Bigby and he starts making plays on the ball. Unfortunately, I just don't think that's his strength. He's more of a "in the box" type. That's what I think will keep us from being a serious contender.

4and12to12and4
11-04-2007, 09:59 PM

I'm not worried about TO when we face Dallas. Ya know that position called a TE that we seem to struggle with? They have one of the best in the league IMO. That worries me more than anything else with Dallas. You can't ignore Romo, either. The kid is pretty damn good.

I agree, but Favre is his hero and he will have knots in his stomach and try to do too much and have a horrible game, I doubt Romo has a good game against Favre, way too much pressure and shit going through his mind, he'll be all screwed up in the head. Plus, we simply have more talent than them other than the running game, can't couny receivers, cuz we always shut them down.

BallHawk
11-04-2007, 11:05 PM

As soon as I wrote that I was sure Bretsky was going to pick it up first. But I guess you out-Bretsky'd Bretsky.

Is a congratulations in order or is it the contrary?

3irty1
11-04-2007, 11:11 PM

I agree, but Favre is his hero and he will have knots in his stomach and try to do too much and have a horrible game, I doubt Romo has a good game against Favre, way too much pressure and shit going through his mind, he'll be all screwed up in the head. Plus, we simply have more talent than them other than the running game, can't couny receivers, cuz we always shut them down.

He's a professional and he dates super models. I'm sure Romo won't give away the game against the Pack at home. Its a big game for them too you know.

MadtownPacker
11-04-2007, 11:22 PM
He's a professional and he dates super models. I'm sure Romo won't give away the game against the Pack at home. Its a big game for them too you know.What the hell does that have to do with anything?? He can get rattled. I have seen it happen in at least 2 games this season.

mmmdk
11-04-2007, 11:41 PM

Take away TO is the answer??? Ever heard of Witten, Crayton, Barber & Jones? The OL is creating highways for their RBs too hense Dallas has a run game. Dallas is as complete a team as Packers with a solid D to add.

MJZiggy
11-05-2007, 07:39 AM

As soon as I wrote that I was sure Bretsky was going to pick it up first. But I guess you out-Bretsky'd Bretsky.

Bretsky would have made the suggestion that I merely hinted at.

Bretsky
11-05-2007, 07:41 AM
He's a professional and he dates super models. I'm sure Romo won't give away the game against the Pack at home. Its a big game for them too you know.What the hell does that have to do with anything?? He can get rattled. I have seen it happen in at least 2 games this season.

If he has a 3sum the night before with supermodels he'll surely display nothing but greatness on Sunday :lol:

Bretsky
11-05-2007, 07:42 AM

Gosh I'm losing my radar; I didn't even pick up on that :shock:

Lurker64
11-05-2007, 09:40 AM
I think the important issue against Dallas is that it appears, on paper at least, that we can score points on Dallas, since the weak point of their defense is that the secondary doesn't play the deep ball too well. As we've seen in the last couple weeks, Favre can still throw those.

The Dallas game will likely be a shootout, and we might need to score 40 to win.

Carolina_Packer
11-05-2007, 10:11 AM
I just don't think that Indy and Pats are that much better than us.

HOLD ON THERE BIG FELLER, ... "favre is GOD", "NFCN Champs" , "SB bound", "Better then the Pats", ... Waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay too much kool-aid flowing in here ! Reality check, please, .... Live by the big play, Die by the big play. The pack is playing way over their heads. Soon, it will all come crumbling down. I don't mean to pee in your punch, but, favre is GOD ? :shock:

It's fun to be excited about 7-1, we should be happy as hell. Nobody probably would have predicted this, except the person who (jokingly?) predicted 16-0, and he's probably pissed at that one loss for ruining his prediction!

I love the Packers too, but Bearman is right overall; although I'm sure unlike me, he'd love to see the Pack fall on their collective faces. It's fun to be excited and having hope for the playoffs, but let's keep an even keel here and not get ahead of ourselves. That was a great win yesterday. We seem to keep finding ways to win and that will only make this team that much more confident. How can it not? But, it's half the season down and half to go! I hope for the absolute best, and enjoy each week, but playoffs? Playoffs???!! (all apologies to Jim Mora, Sr.) Let's win next week.

HarveyWallbangers
11-05-2007, 10:52 AM
I love the Packers too, but Bearman is right overall

Not really. I don't see too many people saying we can compete with the Colts and Pats. Why can't we compete with the Cowboys and Giants? No reason we can't. We're playing sound in all aspects--except run offense. There's even glimmers of hope there. The fact McCarthy is actually sticking with the run seems to be opening up play action (and big plays) in the passing game.

Rastak
11-05-2007, 10:57 AM

Not really. I don't see too many people saying we can compete with the Colts and Pats. Why can't we compete with the Cowboys and Giants? No reason we can't. We're playing sound in all aspects--except run offense. There's even glimmers of hope there. The fact McCarthy is actually sticking with the run seems to be opening up play action (and big plays) in the passing game.

As long as Favre stays healthy, Green Bay could very well win the NFC. I'd put them at #2 behind the Cowboys right now in the NFC. Very impressive by McCarthy and the team.

Merlin
11-05-2007, 11:02 AM
If we can get by the Cowboys, we have a shot with some home field games.

Carolina_Packer
11-05-2007, 11:09 AM

As long as Favre stays healthy, Green Bay could very well win the NFC. I'd put them at #2 behind the Cowboys right now in the NFC. Very impressive by McCarthy and the team.

I was agreeing with Bearman's sentiment of whoa! slow down there, don't get ahead of yourself tone...I have no doubt that the Pack can compete and win against any NFC opponent and if they keep shoring up weaknesses, perhaps they can even give the Colts a game; not sure if anyone can give the Pats much of a game, although the season has a long way to go. Again, not trying to be a wet blanket, especially at 7-1, just tempering my enthusiasm. I'll always root like hell and be hopeful for success, of course. I just don't want to get too jacked up on playoff talk. I love what's happening like everyone else.