PDA

View Full Version : The Silver Haired Teddy Bear Deserves A Snuggle

son of a vic
11-04-2007, 08:42 PM
It's time for all the Ted bashers to admit they were wrong. In a shocker, he seems to know more about assembling a winning team, than a few of the self-proclaimed GM's around here. No more yeah-buts, or (trying to cover your non educated, opinionated ass) by telling us all the sky is going to fall starting next week. Next week ain't comin' hoss'. So just face the music right now, admit they are going in the right direction, and sign on with the rest of us, that support the Thompson Administration. (Teddy, not Tommy)

You can deny as long as you would like, if you feel the need, but Myself and most everybody else, would respect your opinions in the future, if you could muster up the courage to own up right now.

It's o.k. to drink the Kool-aid, while you cuddle your Teddy. Everything is going to be alright, sweet dreams.

RashanGary
11-04-2007, 08:51 PM
Ted Thompson has done a great job taking over a dreadfull situation. I did not think it was possible to turn it around this fast but he did.

GREAT JOB TED THOMPSON!!

Even hiring a little known OC from a losing team turned out to be gold. The guy knows what he is doing. That is abundantly clear.

b bulldog
11-04-2007, 08:53 PM
MM is a great coach imo.

son of a vic
11-04-2007, 08:56 PM
MM is a great coach imo.

Great talent has to be present for a coach to have the opportunity to be great.

VegasPackFan
11-04-2007, 09:30 PM
All the gripers and naysayers are going to have to eat crow, because if this keeps up, MM could easily be Coach Of the Year and TT could very well get GM Of The Year for doing what they have done with this young team.

Then what is the argument going to be?

swede
11-04-2007, 09:34 PM
I notice a certain poster who tended to take a rather blue view view of TT and the Packers hasn't posted since October 15th. I hope he's adjusting well to the reality of 7-1.

RashanGary
11-04-2007, 09:37 PM
All the gripers and naysayers are going to have to eat crow, because if this keeps up, MM could easily be Coach Of the Year and TT could very well get GM Of The Year for doing what they have done with this young team.

Then what is the argument going to be?

Even the most ardent haters are retracting now. Now it's just down to pridefull grudge matches and silly lines in the sand.

Whatever. It's great to see TT succeed. There are what? 5 drafted players from Shermans 4 years as GM still on the team? We were smack tight against the cap and we had to let some of our high priced vets go. The depth was completely stripped and the starting roster was aging and falling apart too. The situation was almost as bad as it gets (except for having Favre and Kamp). The team wasn't on the bottom working up, it was crashing hard. It usually takes a year or two to crash and 3 or 4 to build back up. I don't know how it turned around so fast, but TT deserves all of the credit. With the exception of a few Wolf players and a handfull of Sherm players, this whole roster is TT's. The coach is his too. I've been a huge supporter, but this is more than I expected, honestly. I expected to lose close ones with youth, but somehow find a way to make the playoffs. This is above anyones expectations. There are a lot of good, natural young players on thsi roster. I can't believe how well the youth is playing.

b bulldog
11-04-2007, 09:39 PM
TT and MM although TT hired MM so he gets the credit for that in the end :lol: MM has gotten brett to do what he does best and he is a sound offensive mind.

RashanGary
11-04-2007, 09:44 PM
Youngest team in the league!!

Just getting started!!

VegasPackFan
11-04-2007, 09:49 PM
Youngest team in the league!!

Just getting started!!

And since obviously TT does not believe in high priced , older FA's, this team will probably always have a good base of young players coming up to fill spots.

b bulldog
11-04-2007, 09:49 PM
I agree and I think that we are one or two years away.

son of a vic
11-05-2007, 04:43 PM

I think it's somewhat nieve to think that A. Rodgers will pick right up where Favre left off. The time is now to get to a Super Bowl, as crazy as that seems.

Lurker64
11-05-2007, 05:09 PM

I think it's somewhat nieve to think that A. Rodgers will pick right up where Favre left off. The time is now to get to a Super Bowl, as crazy as that seems.

Who says Favre won't still be playing next year or the year after?

Deputy Nutz
11-05-2007, 05:25 PM
Before I start dishing Crow this team still hasn't confirmed a winning record this year. When the Packer clinch the playoffs then I will start kicking ass on this forum, but I will hold off, the Brewers taught me that lesson. These Packers could easily lose 3 out of their next 4

Vikings(home)
Panthers(home)
Lions(away)
Cowboys(away)

son of a vic
11-05-2007, 06:06 PM
Before I start dishing Crow this team still hasn't confirmed a winning record this year. When the Packer clinch the playoffs then I will start kicking ass on this forum, but I will hold off, the Brewers taught me that lesson. These Packers could easily lose 3 out of their next 4

Vikings(home)
Panthers(home)
Lions(away)
Cowboys(away)

Brooks Bollinger, david Carr/ Vinnie, Kitna, and then Romo. I'll say 2-2 at the worst.

FritzDontBlitz
11-05-2007, 06:18 PM
Fire Ted Thompson now, he been trying to run Brett Favre out of town ever since he got here. We have no offensive weapons, our defense is in shambles, and he hired a terrible coach and fired an offensive genius. :taunt:

lol

Carolina_Packer
11-05-2007, 06:33 PM
Well, I'm still having trouble getting past that Earl Little whiff by TT, and don't even get me started on Adrian Klemm...unforgiveable! :)

Just kidding...he's done a good job hiring someone who is turning into a very good coach, and winning certainly helps his credibility. TT might be vanilla in his pressers, as if he is protecting classified information, but his ability has begun to translate to good results for the team. You don't always understand or appreciate how he goes about his business, but you can't argue with results.

The Shadow
11-05-2007, 06:38 PM
Fire Ted Thompson now, he been trying to run Brett Favre out of town ever since he got here. We have no offensive weapons, our defense is in shambles, and he hired a terrible coach and fired an offensive genius. :taunt:

lol
.................................................. .......................................

LOL!!!!!!
I have also noticed 2 of the hysterical TT bashers seem to have disappeared. Curious.........
I can't help but believe they are secretly hoping for the Packers to hit a bump in the road, and then - PRESTO! - they will be back in all their glory, spewing their same old nonsense.

Merlin
11-05-2007, 06:46 PM
Too bad so sad for you that I am not eating crow. In fact, I am laughing at everyone bashing the very players Thompson gave us for poor performances. Yes, we are 7-1, and yes Thompson had a little to do with it. You can argue to whatever degree you want to but the FACT remains, Thompson has very little to do with the success. He doesn't coach, he doesn't play, he doesn't design plays. Sure, he hired McCarthy, but then again, he isn't coaching and has little control over what McCarthy does with plays. He gets people and the Packers have had some lucky breaks that have been missing the past two seasons go their way. If it were not for old #4, the Packers wouldn't be close to 7-1. Remember, when you bash a player that Thompson brought in but you refuse to bash Thompson for bringing him in, then you are nothing more the a hypocrite. you can't give all the credit to the GM for everything good and then forget that he exists when a player doesn't perform. Which is it? Either Thompson gets the good with the bad or else nothing at all. If you can't bring yourself to do that then I am afraid you are a bandwagon fan with no sense of reality.

The next time you go to bash a player since it's obvious without Thompson the Packers could never dream of being 7-1 (or 8-8 or 4-12) without him, remember to bring in the fact that Thompson brought the player in so therefore he deserves equal blame. Can't be so? Why not? If Thompson is the reason for all of the success then he is also the reason for every weakness, including our #32 ranked running game. The running game he hasn't addressed successfully IN THREE YEARS. Jackson = Bust, Wynn = Bust, Harrell = Bust, Colledge = Bust, Moll = Bust, Bush = Bust. Those are just some of the names you "Thompson" appeasers have thrown under the bus. But that isn't Thompson's fault, he only wins games.

Get a grip, get a life, and take a step down off of that horse before you fall. Reality sucks when it interferes with your logic doesn't it?

ND72
11-05-2007, 06:49 PM
My picture explains my feelings about Ted Thompson and his draft picks.

:P

Merlin
11-05-2007, 06:50 PM

lol
.................................................. .......................................

LOL!!!!!!
I have also noticed 2 of the hysterical TT bashers seem to have disappeared. Curious.........
I can't help but believe they are secretly hoping for the Packers to hit a bump in the road, and then - PRESTO! - they will be back in all their glory, spewing their same old nonsense.

This has to be the single most asinine post I have seen for quite sometime. Just because I don't go defending myself every time one of you two dollar Thompson whores says something ridiculous doesn't mean my stance has changed one bit.

This isn't about glory, it's about the Packers. So far you sluts have thrown many players under the bus for poor performances but are sucking Thompson's cigar like there is no tomorrow. Talk about blind faith...

Rastak
11-05-2007, 06:51 PM
Too bad so sad for you that I am not eating crow. In fact, I am laughing at everyone bashing the very players Thompson gave us for poor performances. Yes, we are 7-1, and yes Thompson had a little to do with it. You can argue to whatever degree you want to but the FACT remains, Thompson has very little to do with the success. He doesn't coach, he doesn't play, he doesn't design plays. Sure, he hired McCarthy, but then again, he isn't coaching and has little control over what McCarthy does with plays. He gets people and the Packers have had some lucky breaks that have been missing the past two seasons go their way. If it were not for old #4, the Packers wouldn't be close to 7-1. Remember, when you bash a player that Thompson brought in but you refuse to bash Thompson for bringing him in, then you are nothing more the a hypocrite. you can't give all the credit to the GM for everything good and then forget that he exists when a player doesn't perform. Which is it? Either Thompson gets the good with the bad or else nothing at all. If you can't bring yourself to do that then I am afraid you are a bandwagon fan with no sense of reality.

The next time you go to bash a player since it's obvious without Thompson the Packers could never dream of being 7-1 (or 8-8 or 4-12) without him, remember to bring in the fact that Thompson brought the player in so therefore he deserves equal blame. Can't be so? Why not? If Thompson is the reason for all of the success then he is also the reason for every weakness, including our #32 ranked running game. The running game he hasn't addressed successfully IN THREE YEARS. Jackson = Bust, Wynn = Bust, Harrell = Bust, Colledge = Bust, Moll = Bust, Bush = Bust. Those are just some of the names you "Thompson" appeasers have thrown under the bus. But that isn't Thompson's fault, he only wins games.

Get a grip, get a life, and take a step down off of that horse before you fall. Reality sucks when it interferes with your logic doesn't it?

I don't think this is the case. GM HAS to get credit when a team is kicking ass. Coaching is huge, and is a big part of the picture but talent is the bottom line. TT is the guy getting that talent.

Look, as an outsider I have to say he's done a pretty good job overall. I like James Jones but other than that, this draft was so-so. Jennings is a very good reciever. Woodson was a very good pickup. I wouldn't proclaim he is the greatest GM in the league but it's kind of hard to be too critical.

Merlin
11-05-2007, 06:58 PM
The big difference here for me is that fan (over)reaction to the teams success and linking it solely to Thompson. No offense Ras because I know you are a true Vikings fan but these people sound like Vikings fans. All on a band wagon singing praises. Where were these praises when we were 4-12? 3-8? It's only okay to grumble when the team is doing bad. So given their logic, why isn't Sherman still the head coach? I mean shit, all he did was win. GM for that matter? Why is it that people only talk about the bad that he did and none of the positive? It's all about being complete and total idiots with this subject.

I have no patience or time for cake-eating bandwagon fans. If they can't take the good with the bad, equally attribute that all the way up the chain, then they don't deserve the right to be called a fan. It's perfectly fine with me if someone supports Thompson, but to spooge all over the guy and make ridiculous posts like this is the problem. I don't hate Thompson but I have not like a majority of his decisions to this point. I am allowed to have that opinion whether we are 7-1 or 1-7. For whatever reason though, this cake-eating crowd only views things through some kind of imaginary vision glasses.

Rastak
11-05-2007, 07:07 PM
The big difference here for me is that fan (over)reaction to the teams success and linking it solely to Thompson. No offense Ras because I know you are a true Vikings fan but these people sound like Vikings fans. All on a band wagon singing praises. Where were these praises when we were 4-12? 3-8? It's only okay to grumble when the team is doing bad. So given their logic, why isn't Sherman still the head coach? I mean shit, all he did was win. GM for that matter? Why is it that people only talk about the bad that he did and none of the positive? It's all about being complete and total idiots with this subject.

I have no patience or time for cake-eating bandwagon fans. If they can't take the good with the bad, equally attribute that all the way up the chain, then they don't deserve the right to be called a fan. It's perfectly fine with me if someone supports Thompson, but to spooge all over the guy and make ridiculous posts like this is the problem. I don't hate Thompson but I have not like a majority of his decisions to this point. I am allowed to have that opinion whether we are 7-1 or 1-7. For whatever reason though, this cake-eating crowd only views things through some kind of imaginary vision glasses.

Well, if you admit there are true Viking fans why use the sterotype? Maybe you should stop. :)

As for the 4-12 thing, he fired the coach and the guy he hired is doing a pretty good job. I thought it was a stupid hire. I thought he screwed it up.

I no longer think that's the case. I was dead wrong. 8-8 was pretty good last year and 7-1 is outstanding.

That's just my take.

Harlan Huckleby
11-05-2007, 07:11 PM
Look, as an outsider I have to say he's done a pretty good job overall.

What makes you an outsider, Rastak? Big deal, you're a Vikings fan, that doesn't make you James Dean on a motorcycle. You only get a hundred posts as an outsider, then you become just another shmuck.

Rastak
11-05-2007, 07:15 PM
Look, as an outsider I have to say he's done a pretty good job overall.

What makes you an outsider, Rastak? Big deal, you're a Vikings fan, that doesn't make you James Dean on a motorcycle. You only get a hundred posts as an outsider, then you become just another shmuck.

:) Only in the sense that I don't see many Packer games anymore after dropping directtv and getting Viking season tickets.

PackerTimer
11-05-2007, 07:53 PM

Well there were alot of people who were saying that TT would need some time to build up a winner. During the 4-12 and 3-8 start there were alot of people that said time would tell. In the face of many reactionary fans claiming that a guy should be fired following one rough year after inherting a horrible team, there were alot of people who defended TT's approach. Even when every armchair GM, was lamenting the team not signing every overpriced free agent, there were alot of people supporting TT's approach of building a team through solid drafts and making sure that he locked up the talent that was already on the roster. So, while there wasn't alot of people claiming that the last two teams were great, there were alot of people who were liked the approach he was taking and were willing to give him time before throwing him out the door. So, there was some praise, or at least alot of support when we were 4-12 and 3-8.

Rastak
11-05-2007, 07:56 PM
Opps, I should have also mentioned Crosby as a damn fine pickup for a late round pick.

PackerTimer
11-05-2007, 08:03 PM

WOW! TT doesn't have anything to do with the success of the team. Forget the fact that he has brought in playmakers on both sides of the ball. Greg Jennings, James Jones, and Charles Woodson. Let's forget the fact that he resigned playmakers like Aaron Kampman and Cullen Jenkins. Yeah he has had nothing to do with putting this team in the position they are in right now.

Calling guys that have been in the league for a one or two years a bust is silly. Colledge is a great example. He is not playing well this year. But then again, Mike Wahle was a terrible lineman during his first few years in the NFL. It's probably really easy to say Colledge could never be as good as Wahle was, but nobody would have ever said Wahle could be as good as Wahle was after a year or two. Will he be as good as Wahle was, I have no idea, but he is not a bust yet?

Fred's Slacks
11-05-2007, 08:58 PM
OK Merlin. I'll admit it, and this might come as a shock to some of you but Thompson is not perfect. In fact, almost all of the veterans he signs for the league minimum don't even make the team. On top of that, he only hits on a little over half his draft picks. You're right. This team is winning despite Thompson's best efforts to sabotage them.

Saying that we need to bash Thompson for every bad move is like bashing a pitcher for not throwing all strikes. It's not each move, its the overall product. So far he's done a pretty good job. Is it perfect? Of course not. Is it great. Not quite. But any way you look at it 7-1 is pretty darn good. When you add to that the fact that we are the youngest team in the league with a healthy cap situation and a happy locker room as well as a coach who is getting a lot of recognition for coach of the year, you have to say the team is being run very well.

The Shadow
11-05-2007, 09:01 PM

lol

LOL!!!!!!

This has to be the single most asinine post I have seen for quite sometime. Just because I don't go defending myself every time one of you two dollar Thompson whores says something ridiculous doesn't mean my stance has changed one bit.

This isn't about glory, it's about the Packers. So far you sluts have thrown many players under the bus for poor performances but are sucking Thompson's cigar like there is no tomorrow. Talk about blind faith...

.................................................. ...............................................
And lo!
It appeared.

The Shadow
11-05-2007, 09:08 PM
Give me a T!
Give me a T!
Give me a T!

What's that spell?

Disaster...
.................................................. ............

PS : I hope we can keep getting your Genuine Ted Thompson 'DISASTERS'.
They are far more satisfying than your Mike Sherman 'Triumphs'.
(And doesn't your cute little tag look more and more asinine with every victory?)

VegasPackFan
11-05-2007, 09:17 PM
It is true that TT has made and will continue to make player choices that dont work out, and it is part of being a fan to critique or even bash those choices on individual players.

It is also true that the GM and Head Coach are the two people MOST responsible for a team's success or failure.

So it is logical to assume that you can have issues with individual player transactions/choices and still give credit for the overall success of the team to the GM and HC.

son of a vic
11-05-2007, 09:39 PM
Merlin ---------------"The big difference here for me is that fan (over)reaction to the teams success and linking it solely to Thompson. No offense Ras because I know you are a true Vikings fan but these people sound like Vikings fans. All on a band wagon singing praises. Where were these praises when we were 4-12? 3-8? It's only okay to grumble when the team is doing bad. So given their logic, why isn't Sherman still the head coach? I mean shit, all he did was win. GM for that matter? Why is it that people only talk about the bad that he did and none of the positive? It's all about being complete and total idiots with this subject. "
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I for one, have not anointed Ted as the next coming, I've just stated that progress is being made. When Ron Wolf took over they were 9-7 in his third year. Seeing Ted is 7-1 right now, that ain't too f'n bad in my idiotic opinion. If Thompson wasn't getting the job done, I would be down on him too, but HE IS GETTING IT DONE AND NOBODY GIVES A RAT'S ASS IF A FEW IGNORANT A-HOLES HAVE TO KEEP FINDING FLAWS DURING A MAGICAL SEASON THUS FAR.

7-1 TRUMPS ANY STAT, OR FLAW, OR PERCEPTION.

Drink a few gallons of Milk of Magnesia, too loosen up that fat turd stuck in your bung hole.

RashanGary
11-05-2007, 09:47 PM
LMFAO. . . .

That was the funniest post I've read in a long time. Merlin has to be some sort of troll. I just can't believe people are that dumb.

It is so funny to hear people try to reason with him. The suprise and disgust at his posts is so real.

I swear, sometimes I think these retards are really brilliant sociopaths who are here just to stir up this kind of response. This stuff is priceless :lol:

son of a vic
11-05-2007, 10:01 PM
LMFAO. . . .

That was the funniest post I've read in a long time. Merlin has to be some sort of troll. I just can't believe people are that dumb.

It is so funny to hear people try to reason with him. The suprise and disgust at his posts is so real.

I swear, sometimes I think these retards are really brilliant sociopaths who are here just to stir up this kind of response. This stuff is priceless :lol:

How do you reason with someone, that has not the mental capacity to decipher the win vs. loss theory of relativity = talent level.

I got a shovel you can borrow Merle, to replace the one you are going to wear out digging you own grave.

Carolina_Packer
11-05-2007, 10:10 PM
LMFAO. . . .

Perhaps, JH, or he is a staunch Mike Sherman apologist who just can't let it go that the Sherman era (Sherman error as far as his days as GM as far as I'm concerned) is over.

Look, I don't think anyone here is giving TT ALL the credit, and in one of your posts Merlin, you do give TT some credit for the Packers success. But, what's the point in measuring out what he should and shouldn't get credit for? What, should we have a sliding percentage scale and have a post with a vote on how much credit TT should get for the current success? Geez!

Merlin, are you enjoying this season? How do you show your enjoyment? Is it fun for you, or do you prefer to focus on the deficiencies of the team? You know that no team is perfect, even the dominant teams have some things that can be improved.

TT, MM, Bob Harlan, or Fritz the Towel Boy...who cares who gets the most credit? TT deserves some, but not all of it. Don't be stingy now. Give until it hurts.

GrnBay007
11-05-2007, 10:19 PM
LMFAO. . . .

I don't recall anyone belittling you or calling you names. Why go there?

Scott Campbell
11-05-2007, 10:28 PM
Maybe he hasn't seen our record. Were 7-1.

Tex has green and gold retinas, and he only had us going 6-2 over the first half of the season. The Packers have exceeded everyones expectations. It's impossible to rationally argue against the success of this team, and the hand that Thompson has had in shaping it.

Let go of your hate people.

Harlan Huckleby
11-05-2007, 10:35 PM
RIGHT ON!

Love is the answer!!

http://www.jewsrock.org/words/images/resized_Mama%20Cass.jpg

CaliforniaCheez
11-06-2007, 05:52 AM

Vikings(home)
Panthers(home)
Lions(away)
Cowboys(away)

They can also go 4-0 and might give you some confidence at that point.

Lurker64
11-06-2007, 08:44 AM
We're 7-1, why are we arguing about the GM now?

Either Thompson is responsible for shaping the roster to get us to 7-1, or he didn't mess it up enough to prevent us from going 7-1. Either way, the man deserves some credit doesn't he?

Zool
11-06-2007, 08:50 AM
LMFAO. . . .

I don't recall anyone belittling you or calling you names. Why go there?

You might want to read some more of Merlins posts. He indirectly calls everyone names who calls him out on his opinions.

LaFours
11-06-2007, 09:08 AM

Because Merlin is still posting...

cpk1994
11-06-2007, 09:19 AM

Either Thompson is responsible for shaping the roster to get us to 7-1, or he didn't mess it up enough to prevent us from going 7-1. Either way, the man deserves some credit doesn't he?NO one is arguing except Merlin. Why? Becuase Merlin keeps failing in his arguments and is grasping at straws while choking on the fact that the Packers are 7-1 and TT's getting credit. He tried picking Rodgers - Failed. Then he moved on to Mason Crosby; failed again. So now he is trying to kick at TT again and is failing again. Same old boring routine. But still fun to laugh at. Incidently, Woodbuck seems to be very quiet these days. He and Merlin must be cuddling together as the only two left in the TT Haters clubhouse.

cheesner
11-06-2007, 10:06 AM

I hope Favre comes back as well. The sad reality is that the "future" to me is NOW and in TT's mind it's still years away. This is the NFL where a team can go from 0-16 to 16-0 in one season. Unfortunately TT doesn't agree and is spending all his time making "his" team. This is OUR team. No more Seattle castoffs.

TT is the reason we are 12-20 over the past two seasons. Name the last GM who had that poor of a record spanning two years? How far back do you have to go? The fact remains that whatever feel good things that happened this season, they won't get any better if you continue to put 10 rookies on the field every season. That isn't building, that's destroying. At some point you have to draft for necessity and not the best player available (one could argue that Rogers was the BPA at the time or not). You have to look at the holes you need to fill and not look at "young blood". I said this before and I will say it again, when all of these great rookies are viable veterans and their contracts come up, will you pay them or will you "build through the draft"? We have a very young team with a lot of great talent on it. When you take a look at when those contracts are up, we may not be able to keep them all. We have a good base and on that base you add skilled veterans to add leadership and strength. TT's direction has been to tear the organization down, add one good veteran, one younger veteran replacement, a convicted drug/alcohol addict, and over pay a #2 safety. He also put our kicking game in the hands of what amount to be rookies as well. He wrapped it all up in duct tape and hoped to god that it would stick together. That was just last year. Sure, he got Hawk, Jennings, Spitz, Colledge and Moll. Those five alone will command large salaries at the end of the rookie contracts. Can we keep them all? I doubt it.

You are entitled to your opinions that is true. You are open to disagree as well

http://www.packerrats.com/ratchat/viewtopic.php?t=4598&postdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight=1220&start=40

How come TT gets the blame for 12-20, but gets no credit for 7-1? To me it is more of a reflection of the GMs performance 3-5 years down the road.

As far as 'bashing' him for making a bad move, that is the nature of the business. You can never be 100% sure of how a player is going to react to the coaches, becoming very wealthy, or fitting into the organization. That is why TT drafts a bunch of players and signs several lower level FAs. He creates competition at various positions, hoping that one of the players emerges. There is really not that much difference between a first round pick player and a 5th round player, athletically. Most of the success of a player is because of what is between the ears. That is a little bit difficult to judge in many cases. So TT takes more swings at the plate, hoping to connect. Why 'bash' him for his misses as long as he does connect?

You have to keep you eye on the big picture when evaluating a GM. I think TT is doing great, but still (obviously) the team still needs some work. ALthough we are 7-1, we have yet to dominate a team for a full game. When we hit that point, I will be happy. We are headed in the right direction, and I am going to enjoy the ride until we get there.

Carolina_Packer
11-06-2007, 11:08 AM

I hope Favre comes back as well. The sad reality is that the "future" to me is NOW and in TT's mind it's still years away. This is the NFL where a team can go from 0-16 to 16-0 in one season. Unfortunately TT doesn't agree and is spending all his time making "his" team. This is OUR team. No more Seattle castoffs.

TT is the reason we are 12-20 over the past two seasons. Name the last GM who had that poor of a record spanning two years? How far back do you have to go? The fact remains that whatever feel good things that happened this season, they won't get any better if you continue to put 10 rookies on the field every season. That isn't building, that's destroying. At some point you have to draft for necessity and not the best player available (one could argue that Rogers was the BPA at the time or not). You have to look at the holes you need to fill and not look at "young blood". I said this before and I will say it again, when all of these great rookies are viable veterans and their contracts come up, will you pay them or will you "build through the draft"? We have a very young team with a lot of great talent on it. When you take a look at when those contracts are up, we may not be able to keep them all. We have a good base and on that base you add skilled veterans to add leadership and strength. TT's direction has been to tear the organization down, add one good veteran, one younger veteran replacement, a convicted drug/alcohol addict, and over pay a #2 safety. He also put our kicking game in the hands of what amount to be rookies as well. He wrapped it all up in duct tape and hoped to god that it would stick together. That was just last year. Sure, he got Hawk, Jennings, Spitz, Colledge and Moll. Those five alone will command large salaries at the end of the rookie contracts. Can we keep them all? I doubt it.

You are entitled to your opinions that is true. You are open to disagree as well

http://www.packerrats.com/ratchat/viewtopic.php?t=4598&postdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight=1220&start=40

How come TT gets the blame for 12-20, but gets no credit for 7-1? To me it is more of a reflection of the GMs performance 3-5 years down the road.

As far as 'bashing' him for making a bad move, that is the nature of the business. You can never be 100% sure of how a player is going to react to the coaches, becoming very wealthy, or fitting into the organization. That is why TT drafts a bunch of players and signs several lower level FAs. He creates competition at various positions, hoping that one of the players emerges. There is really not that much difference between a first round pick player and a 5th round player, athletically. Most of the success of a player is because of what is between the ears. That is a little bit difficult to judge in many cases. So TT takes more swings at the plate, hoping to connect. Why 'bash' him for his misses as long as he does connect?

You have to keep you eye on the big picture when evaluating a GM. I think TT is doing great, but still (obviously) the team still needs some work. ALthough we are 7-1, we have yet to dominate a team for a full game. When we hit that point, I will be happy. We are headed in the right direction, and I am going to enjoy the ride until we get there.

Yeah, if you look at this from the recent post you cited:

Merlin Said: Yes, we are 7-1, and yes Thompson had a little to do with it. You can argue to whatever degree you want to but the FACT remains, Thompson has very little to do with the success.

That's damning him with faint praise. It's like, he can't completely discount TT's influence, but if he could, he would because he's obviously not a TT guy. I know this is the subject of this post, but I sure hope there are things that you are demonstratively happy about concerning this team. If you're happy and you know it, clap your hands Merlin! How do you show your happiness over this team? Seems that you'd rather have Sherman at the helm, but you really need to get past that if you haven't. TT is our guy, there's nothing to be done about that, and complaining and moaning won't make it go away. You don't have to like him. That's your thing. But, you also don't have to argue so irrationally that he has little to do with the success. You seem to be yeah butting everything and grabbing for any argument you can to support your position. Just say, "I, Merlin, am biased against TT. I've never liked him, and I never will, so my judgement gets clouded by that every time I speak about him." Come on, it will feel good.

Merlin
11-06-2007, 12:39 PM
Merlin ---------------"The big difference here for me is that fan (over)reaction to the teams success and linking it solely to Thompson. No offense Ras because I know you are a true Vikings fan but these people sound like Vikings fans. All on a band wagon singing praises. Where were these praises when we were 4-12? 3-8? It's only okay to grumble when the team is doing bad. So given their logic, why isn't Sherman still the head coach? I mean shit, all he did was win. GM for that matter? Why is it that people only talk about the bad that he did and none of the positive? It's all about being complete and total idiots with this subject. "
I for one, have not anointed Ted as the next coming, I've just stated that progress is being made. When Ron Wolf took over they were 9-7 in his third year. Seeing Ted is 7-1 right now, that ain't too f'n bad in my idiotic opinion. If Thompson wasn't getting the job done, I would be down on him too, but HE IS GETTING IT DONE AND NOBODY GIVES A RAT'S ASS IF A FEW IGNORANT A-HOLES HAVE TO KEEP FINDING FLAWS DURING A MAGICAL SEASON THUS FAR.

7-1 TRUMPS ANY STAT, OR FLAW, OR PERCEPTION.

Drink a few gallons of Milk of Magnesia, too loosen up that fat turd stuck in your bung hole.

I love it we are 7-1 and all reason goes right out the window. Yup, Ted Thompson is the reason for our success, but it's someone else's fault when they screw up. LOL....I think you have been drinking too much of 3T's man juice.

Merlin
11-06-2007, 12:46 PM

Well there were alot of people who were saying that TT would need some time to build up a winner. During the 4-12 and 3-8 start there were alot of people that said time would tell. In the face of many reactionary fans claiming that a guy should be fired following one rough year after inherting a horrible team, there were alot of people who defended TT's approach. Even when every armchair GM, was lamenting the team not signing every overpriced free agent, there were alot of people supporting TT's approach of building a team through solid drafts and making sure that he locked up the talent that was already on the roster. So, while there wasn't alot of people claiming that the last two teams were great, there were alot of people who were liked the approach he was taking and were willing to give him time before throwing him out the door. So, there was some praise, or at least alot of support when we were 4-12 and 3-8.

Thompson did not inherit a horrible team. He inherited a bad salary cap situation. And it's okay to criticize and support whoever the GM is. However anyone who thinks this team is truly one of the elite NFL teams at 7-1 isn't watching very much football. The Saints looked good last year but they won some close games, even against us. Were they as good as they looked? Not really. How is this season going for them? How much really changed? Even the Bears have looked good in recent history only to falter the next year. My fear is that being 7-1 is giving many people to much confidence and causing them to say stupid things. Thompson has made some large mistakes. Sherman as GM made some large mistakes. I didn't care for Sherman because I thought he over reached. I don't care for Thompson because he thinks youth and only youth is the answer. Sherman right now is still more successful as a GM then Thompson. But you all sit here and bash Sherman even though Thompson's mistakes are as big and as many.

Merlin
11-06-2007, 12:49 PM

Either Thompson is responsible for shaping the roster to get us to 7-1, or he didn't mess it up enough to prevent us from going 7-1. Either way, the man deserves some credit doesn't he?

Of course he deserves some credit, but not ALL of the credit as many posters have chosen to do. When there is a mistake or a loss (see Chicago), not one of these hypocrites attributes any of it to Thompson's philosophies. BUT, the 7 wins are all on Thompson. Wrong.

Merlin
11-06-2007, 12:51 PM

Yeah, if you look at this from the recent post you cited:

Merlin Said: Yes, we are 7-1, and yes Thompson had a little to do with it. You can argue to whatever degree you want to but the FACT remains, Thompson has very little to do with the success.

That's damning him with faint praise. It's like, he can't completely discount TT's influence, but if he could, he would because he's obviously not a TT guy. I know this is the subject of this post, but I sure hope there are things that you are demonstratively happy about concerning this team. If you're happy and you know it, clap your hands Merlin! How do you show your happiness over this team? Seems that you'd rather have Sherman at the helm, but you really need to get past that if you haven't. TT is our guy, there's nothing to be done about that, and complaining and moaning won't make it go away. You don't have to like him. That's your thing. But, you also don't have to argue so irrationally that he has little to do with the success. You seem to be yeah butting everything and grabbing for any argument you can to support your position. Just say, "I, Merlin, am biased against TT. I've never liked him, and I never will, so my judgement gets clouded by that every time I speak about him." Come on, it will feel good.

If it was not for the unfortunate few in here who think Thompson is all world and who make statements to my rationality while they are singing day care songs, then maybe there would be no need to defend my position on the subject. Until then, I will continue to act like you and the masses.

MJZiggy
11-06-2007, 12:52 PM
I don't care for Thompson because he thinks youth and only youth is the answer.

That isn't true. If it were he'd have gotten rid of Rob Davis on his way in the door and he certainly wouldn't be putting up with the pair of grampas we have at corner (one of which he signed himself). What he is building is a base of youth and rewarding talent at any age. Donald Lee just got an extension and it seems to me that he is no longer 22 and fresh out of college.

Merlin
11-06-2007, 12:58 PM
I have learned a lot in life. One of the biggest things I have learned is that everyone's perception is different. So my belief is not "false" unless yours is also based on your 3-4 players on a 53 man roster.

MJZiggy
11-06-2007, 01:08 PM
My contention is with the "youth and youth ALONE" part. If it were only youth he were after he'd never have brought in or kept the older players on the team...I contend that he bases his decisions based on performance more than age. (please note I did not say performance alone, I said performance more than age)

Carolina_Packer
11-06-2007, 01:49 PM
It's time for all the Ted bashers to admit they were wrong. In a shocker, he seems to know more about assembling a winning team, than a few of the self-proclaimed GM's around here. No more yeah-buts, or (trying to cover your non educated, opinionated ass) by telling us all the sky is going to fall starting next week. Next week ain't comin' hoss'. So just face the music right now, admit they are going in the right direction, and sign on with the rest of us, that support the Thompson Administration. (Teddy, not Tommy)

You can deny as long as you would like, if you feel the need, but Myself and most everybody else, would respect your opinions in the future, if you could muster up the courage to own up right now.

It's o.k. to drink the Kool-aid, while you cuddle your Teddy. Everything is going to be alright, sweet dreams.

OK, let's just go back to the original post. I don't think SOV or anyone else who posted EVER said that the credit is ALL due to TT. They are saying that he deserves SOME more credit than certain individuals have given him. It's not a one person show, and nobody is going to say that. Yes, we are trending upward from where we were at for sure in 2005 and we are 1 win from having as many victories as we did in 2006. Everyone has a part in that success; TT, MM and the coaching staff and the players who are doing well. GM and HC certainly work very closely as do HC/Staff and players. Something is causing this success. I don't think it's blind luck. As Favre has said, it's too hard to win in this league for it to be luck. So, it's something beyond luck and it's someone that is behind it. You can divvy up the percentages of credit to the deserving parties, but again, SOME of it does go to TT who has been orchestrating his plan with MM for the last couple of seasons. Let's not be a turd in the punch bowl and say we're not going to be happy until...(whatever might bring about happiness). If you are not happy being 7-1, then check your fanhood. You may be too uptight.

Partial
11-06-2007, 01:58 PM
I guess Greg Jennings, James Jones, locking up Barnett, Kampman, Pickett, keeping Al from holding out, Johnny Jolly, extending Jenkins, finding Bigby and Collins, extending Wells, signing Chuck, Donald Lee, etc have had no part in our success this year.

As a matter of fact, those players all are terrible and we'd be better without them on our current team. TT has ruined this team as a matter of fact! He loaded it up with all the stop-gaps above.

HarveyWallbangers
11-06-2007, 02:13 PM
Thompson >>> Sherman

son of a vic
11-06-2007, 06:34 PM
I have learned a lot in life. One of the biggest things I have learned is that everyone's perception is different. So my belief is not "false" unless yours is also based on your 3-4 players on a 53 man roster.

Apparently you missed a semester of humility.

The Shadow
11-06-2007, 07:12 PM

Either Thompson is responsible for shaping the roster to get us to 7-1, or he didn't mess it up enough to prevent us from going 7-1. Either way, the man deserves some credit doesn't he?NO one is arguing except Merlin. Why? Becuase Merlin keeps failing in his arguments and is grasping at straws while choking on the fact that the Packers are 7-1 and TT's getting credit. He tried picking Rodgers - Failed. Then he moved on to Mason Crosby; failed again. So now he is trying to kick at TT again and is failing again. Same old boring routine. But still fun to laugh at. Incidently, Woodbuck seems to be very quiet these days. He and Merlin must be cuddling together as the only two left in the TT Haters clubhouse.
.................................................. ...............................

You nailed it quite eloquently.

son of a vic
11-06-2007, 08:13 PM

.................................................. ...............................

You nailed it quite eloquently.

I think my old friend Retail Guy, is either dead, or he's hangin' low, waiting for the team slide so he can whack me with a few "I told you so's."

The Shadow
11-06-2007, 08:45 PM
What guise(s) is tank going by these days?
I have my own suspicions.....

RashanGary
11-06-2007, 08:58 PM
I get a strange suspicion that Merlin is really HH disguised.

HarveyWallbangers
11-06-2007, 09:18 PM
I think my old friend Retail Guy, is either dead, or he's hangin' low, waiting for the team slide so he can whack me with a few "I told you so's."

I like this new guy, SOV.
:D

Rastak
11-06-2007, 09:24 PM

I like this new guy, SOV.
:D

Dude was just calling it as he saw it. You have to admit, he was firing missles at the Sherman team before everyone was willing to agree.

Now that doesn't make me either happy or sad....I just love the Nascar bookmobile joke....... :)

retailguy
11-06-2007, 10:17 PM

Nope, I'm still around. Not posting much as I have a very sick family member, coupled with a very busy fall season at work. I jump in, two or three times a day to read a few posts, but for the most part, I'm MIA, too busy and too tired.

Not because the Packers are winning, though. I'm enjoying that very much, and as I've said before I'm VERY stunned. I'm not in the Merlin camp, though I agree as others have stated Ted shouldn't get all the credit, but sure deserves some. I still don't like him, but, hey, so what?

see my "mea culpa", in week 12 or 13 as promised if this winning streak keeps up, which it surely looks today like it will. I give big kudos to the team, MM and Ted for the recent 2 game win streak on the road. Quite impressive.

On a side note, I wore my Packer Jacket to dinner tonight. A local Bears fan gave me the thumbs down, his buddy gave me the thumbs up. I walked over, shook the friends hand, looked at the Bears fan and told him that we shared something in common. Told him my favorite football player played for the Bears and that I hoped Jerry Angelo signed him to a 10 year contract. He told me that Urlacher wouldn't last that long.... to which I smiled. Then he said, "who"? and I replied "Rex Grossman". His buddy burst out laughing and I said "Rex is my new hero. I love the effect he's had on the 2007 Bears"....

Gotta love the Bears fans....

cheesner
11-06-2007, 11:52 PM

Nope, I'm still around. Not posting much as I have a very sick family member, coupled with a very busy fall season at work. I jump in, two or three times a day to read a few posts, but for the most part, I'm MIA, too busy and too tired.

Not because the Packers are winning, though. I'm enjoying that very much, and as I've said before I'm VERY stunned. I'm not in the Merlin camp, though I agree as others have stated Ted shouldn't get all the credit, but sure deserves some. I still don't like him, but, hey, so what?

see my "mea culpa", in week 12 or 13 as promised if this winning streak keeps up, which it surely looks today like it will. I give big kudos to the team, MM and Ted for the recent 2 game win streak on the road. Quite impressive.

On a side note, I wore my Packer Jacket to dinner tonight. A local Bears fan gave me the thumbs down, his buddy gave me the thumbs up. I walked over, shook the friends hand, looked at the Bears fan and told him that we shared something in common. Told him my favorite football player played for the Bears and that I hoped Jerry Angelo signed him to a 10 year contract. He told me that Urlacher wouldn't last that long.... to which I smiled. Then he said, "who"? and I replied "Rex Grossman". His buddy burst out laughing and I said "Rex is my new hero. I love the effect he's had on the 2007 Bears"....

For all the disagreements fought out here on RP, we can all unite in our hatred of the bears.

Kumbaya my friend. Kumbaya!

PS Hope your family member is feeling better.

Scott Campbell
11-07-2007, 12:25 AM
...Not posting much as I have a very sick family member........

Sorry to hear that RG - wish you both the best.

mmmdk
11-07-2007, 05:24 AM
At midseason Packers are 7-1; I would never have thunk it! The Packer 2007 schedule just looked too tough.

The second half of the season is coming up and it's now the real test comes - for any NFL team. Be it soul searching or stepping up your game; fact is that talent or lack of talent will be revealed.

Here's some other predictions that's been made prior to the season:

A lot thought the Packers OL were a strenght? Not even a half truth as run blocking/cutting is atrocious. Pass protection is so-so.

The Packer receivers took shots prior to the season, now, it's the strenght of the team.

Favre was done! Favre is not done; Favre is awesome.

TT is an awesome/bad GM? Neither really but his plan is at least solid.

McCarthy is an awesome/ HC? The arrow points upward but how will he fare in a playoff game?

The Packers D is a top 5 D? Not quite but still ok.

The Packer RBs are toast? The Packer RBs are still toast yet Grant has shown good running, running with power and little help from OL.

Fact is: most don't know sh!t. Fact is (also): most know a lot....or is lady fortuna just shining on ya? 8-)

mmmdk
11-07-2007, 01:23 PM
Thompson >>> Sherman

Wuhuu, I agree!

I've backed TT most of the way sans "the Moss affair". I've been on McCarthy's back but I'm beginning to lighten up here. Still, it pains me to see Pats & Moss have success. Then again, I love the JJ pick.

But I gotta ask: is this Packer season a cinderella season or a sign of things to come? I'm confused as I see Favre as our only super star.

Merlin
11-07-2007, 01:39 PM
cpk1994 wrote:

Lurker64 wrote:

NO one is arguing except Merlin. Why? Becuase Merlin keeps failing in his arguments and is grasping at straws while choking on the fact that the Packers are 7-1 and TT's getting credit. He tried picking Rodgers - Failed. Then he moved on to Mason Crosby; failed again. So now he is trying to kick at TT again and is failing again. Same old boring routine. But still fun to laugh at. Incidently, Woodbuck seems to be very quiet these days. He and Merlin must be cuddling together as the only two left in the TT Haters clubhouse.

If you think I am the only person who doesn't like the way Thompson is going about things, there is your first reality check. If you think I am failing at my arguments and grasping at straws then why do you have to make things up in order to get your point across? Reality Check number two. Tried "picking" on Rodgers? No "try" about it, in my opinion the guy doesn't have it. My stance has not changed nor will it until he proves me wrong, that's reality check number three. "moved to Mason Crosby", and I did this when? Oh I see, you can make shit up but I can't have a concern about the performance he had in the one game. And you make that "going after", nice way to read into air. I never went after Crosby, not once...Reality check four and counting. "'Kick at TT again", wtf you mean "again". When have I stopped? Despite the fact I have gotten the point across several times for those that can read that if 3T deserves credit for the good things then he deserves equal credit for the bad things, something of which only idiot bias supporters like yourself (hypocrites) don't seem to comprehend. Oh yeah, it does require a 3rd grade education so I guess that leaves you out. Reality check 5.

Never let reality interfere with your logic my friend, you are the ruler of your world.

cheesner
11-07-2007, 02:28 PM
cpk1994 wrote:

Lurker64 wrote:

NO one is arguing except Merlin. Why? Becuase Merlin keeps failing in his arguments and is grasping at straws while choking on the fact that the Packers are 7-1 and TT's getting credit. He tried picking Rodgers - Failed. Then he moved on to Mason Crosby; failed again. So now he is trying to kick at TT again and is failing again. Same old boring routine. But still fun to laugh at. Incidently, Woodbuck seems to be very quiet these days. He and Merlin must be cuddling together as the only two left in the TT Haters clubhouse.

If you think I am the only person who doesn't like the way Thompson is going about things, there is your first reality check. If you think I am failing at my arguments and grasping at straws then why do you have to make things up in order to get your point across? Reality Check number two. Tried "picking" on Rodgers? No "try" about it, in my opinion the guy doesn't have it. My stance has not changed nor will it until he proves me wrong, that's reality check number three. "moved to Mason Crosby", and I did this when? Oh I see, you can make shit up but I can't have a concern about the performance he had in the one game. And you make that "going after", nice way to read into air. I never went after Crosby, not once...Reality check four and counting. "'Kick at TT again", wtf you mean "again". When have I stopped? Despite the fact I have gotten the point across several times for those that can read that if 3T deserves credit for the good things then he deserves equal credit for the bad things, something of which only idiot bias supporters like yourself (hypocrites) don't seem to comprehend. Oh yeah, it does require a 3rd grade education so I guess that leaves you out. Reality check 5.

Never let reality interfere with your logic my friend, you are the ruler of your world.

He said you were one of two posters still hating TT. Although many disagree with how he is doing his job, most agree that he is seeing a lot of success this season. You on the other hand, appear to be still kicking him despite his obvious success.

You are correct that TT should be held accountable for his mistakes as well as his successes. By virtue of the Packers playing well, his successes are vastly outweighing his mistakes. Most on this site, I believe feel this way. You have too look at the whole picture, and it is looking very good. I bet if you found a million dollar picaso original at a rummage sale for $10, you would be bitching that the frame is ugly.

swede
11-07-2007, 02:33 PM
I was in the public library last week and some homeless guy was using the computer.

He was gnashing his teeth and growling paranoid thoughts about some unknown persons that were out to get him.

It was all tolerated until he stood up and started screaming profanities at the monitor as if the computer itself were arguing with him. Then the library cop came in and booted him out.

I guess I'd forgotten about it until I read a few of Merlin's recent posts.

Carolina_Packer
11-07-2007, 02:37 PM
cpk1994 wrote:

Lurker64 wrote:

1. Name anyone else here, or do a new post with a survey of those who "don't like the way Thompson is going about things", and gather results; get input.

2. It's easy to sit back and say Rodgers "doesn't have it", but nobody including yourself really knows that for sure, unless you have a crystal ball.

3. OK, you were misunderstood on your stance regarding Crosby, whatever that may have been originally.

4. OK, we get it, you've never stopped disagreeing with the way Thompson "goes about things", but you do give him some credit and have changed your signature.

5. "only idiot bias supporters like yourself (hypocrites) don't seem to comprehend. Oh yeah, it does require a 3rd grade education so I guess that leaves you out." We're all fans of the same team, are we not? Let's not take ourselves or our opinions so seriously that we have to get personal. No use in that, and except a self-serving one.

Look, like it or not, TT and Rodgers are employed by the team that we all cheer for. I guess they will have to try and succeed in their jobs despite any support from you from the sounds of it. You may have your way of doing things, but you are not in charge. None of us are. Why not just lighten up, be a fan, have fun with all of this and not take yourself or this stuff too seriously? It's fun to be passionate and care, but not to the point where you make an ass of yourself. Does that mean you have to agree with everyone? Of course not, but when you disagree, show class. Give respect, get respect.

The Shadow
11-07-2007, 04:51 PM
cpk1994 wrote:

Lurker64 wrote:

Nice to see you finally retired the "TT IS DISASTER, TT IS THE ANTI-CHRIST, TT KILLED KENNEDY" signature.
We were all very embarrassed for you
Good move!

son of a vic
11-07-2007, 09:41 PM

It took a few days, but we finally have one Ted hater show some class.
Best wishes, RG.

cpk1994
11-08-2007, 08:43 AM
cpk1994 wrote:

Lurker64 wrote:

Never let reality interfere with your logic my friend, you are the ruler of your world.Making it up? You are the only one in this thread aguing against TT. You were the one went on and on about how you weren't coinvinced that Crosby was the right kicker to keep. Against KC Crosby kicked four FG in a hostile environment. Rayner's only noticible play was kicking one out of bounds. As for Rodgers he has improved from year to year which shows that has a very good chance to solid. You are the one to needs a reality check.

son of a vic
11-08-2007, 02:57 PM
Question for Merlin, " What is needed for you to put aside your hate, and be happy with the 2007 season. 10-6?, 11-5? 12-4?, 15-1?, Lombardi Trophy?" What will convince you that this is a pretty good team?

I will wait in earnest for your rational response.

mmmdk
11-08-2007, 04:02 PM
Question for Merlin, " What is needed for you to put aside your hate, and be happy with the 2007 season. 10-6?, 11-5? 12-4?, 15-1?, Lombardi Trophy?" What will convince you that this is a pretty good team?

...I think I'll take the Lombardi Trophy...what? Who says I can't!? :whaa:

MJZiggy
11-08-2007, 04:14 PM

I've said it before in jest, but I seriously think that we could win the Super Bowl and Merlin'd be pissed because we don't have a good enough runningback.

esoxx
11-08-2007, 06:00 PM
Surely you jest.

MJZiggy
11-08-2007, 06:04 PM
I am serious. And don't call me Shirley.

:rs:

cheesner
11-08-2007, 08:15 PM

I suspect it doesn't matter how the Packers do. If TT had spent all the cap money on a couple of big name FAs, thereby 'doing his job' in his eyes, he would be happy.

woodbuck27
11-08-2007, 10:55 PM

Right BANG on.

and what Poster's disappeared because we are 7-1 to date?

Get REAL TT LOVER's. he has done little to help us to this incredible record so far in 2007.

To suggest that any Packer fan is hopeing for the team to crash to make any point against TT is just corrupt BS. Another word is EVIL.

TT did little in this off season and the credit for 7-1 must go to Favre and MM and the rest of the coaching staff that work their tails off as have our players since early in the off season.

TT hasn't done anything for our 'O' except draft two WR's that are helping Favre and added kicker Mason Crosby and punter Jon Ryan.Our running game sucks to no end due to the failure of the ZBS and adequate run protection.

Chuck Woodson was a decent FA signing.

A Barry Sanders couldn't run behind our OL. it is primarily adequate in pass protection alone.

VegasPackFan
11-09-2007, 12:39 AM
TT did little in this off season and the credit for 7-1 must go to Favre and MM and the rest of the coaching staff that work their tails off as have our players since early in the off season.

TT hasn't done anything for our 'O' except draft two WR's that are helping Favre and added kicker Mason Crosby and punter Jon Ryan.Our running game sucks to no end due to the failure of the ZBS and adequate run protection

You contradict yourself....
MM installed the ZBS system, not TT. So you praise MM and staff for their hard work and then you lay blame for the ZBS (installed by MM) on TT for the failings of the offense.

But he "only" drafted two very good WR's that are contributing today to the offense, signed a great CB to complement Al HArris (to make up the very best CB tandem in the league) and improved the special teams in a big way. "Only".

Carolina_Packer
11-09-2007, 09:23 AM

Right BANG on.

and what Poster's disappeared because we are 7-1 to date?

Get REAL TT LOVER's. he has done little to help us to this incredible record so far in 2007.

To suggest that any Packer fan is hopeing for the team to crash to make any point against TT is just corrupt BS. Another word is EVIL.

TT hasn't done anything for our 'O' except draft two WR's that are helping Favre and added kicker Mason Crosby and punter Jon Ryan.Our running game sucks to no end due to the failure of the ZBS and adequate run protection.

Chuck Woodson was a decent FA signing.

A Barry Sanders couldn't run behind our OL. it is primarily adequate in pass protection alone.

That can be the downside of youth; inconsistency. This is a good coaching staff, so they can get them squared.

Woodbuck and other TT naysayers, I don't know what you thought about Cliff Christl, but here is an answer to a question that he gave regarding TT in his recent chat on Packer Insider this week:

Q: Mike Gisel of Davenport, IA - Cliff, The regression of our young linemen this year is very discouraging. Is it still too early to judge whether Colledge, Spitz, & Moll have what it takes to be solid players? Also you have to give TT credit, he has put together quite a team, and he did it the right way.

A: Cliff Christl - The play of the line hasn't been what was expected, but sometimes it takes time at that position. Mike Wahle, Marco Rivera weren't overnight sensations. So time will tell. As for Ted Thompson, I agree. I couldn't believe the criticism he was getting last off-season. People criticized him for drafting Justin Harrell. Those people had to be clueless. I don't know if Harrell will be a player. There's risk with every draft pick. But criticizing someone for taking a big defensive linemen, especially on a team that's facing the prospect of Brett Favre retiring sometime soon? That's one of the most critical positions in football. You could never have enough good ones. And if you're ever going to win a Super Bowl with defense, you're going to have to have a great defensive line. Plus, don't those people realize that just drafting Harrell probably put a bur up some of those other linemen's butts and got them worried about their own jobs and created competition. And criticizing Thompson for letting Ahman Green go? The guy had been in deline for three years. He was an injury waiting to happen. He rushed for 1,059 yards last year. He was 19th in the league in rushing. He was a pedestrian back. What kind of loss was that? One of the things I heard GMs, scouts, etc., repeat time after time was that you have to m move on. Well, it was time for the Packers to move on at running back, whether they had someone to replace Green or not. The only mistake I thought Thompson made was not getting the deal done for Randy Moss.

Merlin
11-09-2007, 12:13 PM

I suspect it doesn't matter how the Packers do. If TT had spent all the cap money on a couple of big name FAs, thereby 'doing his job' in his eyes, he would be happy.

First of all let's put aside a few misnomers:

1) I do not HATE Ted Thompson. I HATE the way he is not giving us any depth, a chance to run the ball, veteran depth and entering the past two seasons with money in his pocket that could have gone to HELPING this team in these areas. Youth is all fine and good and it's great we have some good young talent on this team. BUT, outside of the starters and the defensive line, there is zero depth on this team. Maybe now at WR since Robinson returned but that remains to be seen.

2) Can anyone show me where I said we weren't a pretty good team? I believe our defense has not been playing up to it's full potential although the past two weeks they have stepped up when they needed to, I believe our offense is waiting for the wheels to fall off the bus because we cannot run the ball effectively enough to control the clock and put teams away. Does that mean they aren't pretty good? No, it means the team has some legitimate concerns that are were not being addressed by Thompson, the very person everyone is calling a mastermind for a 7-1 start. I think we have just enough good players to be good this season, I think we have had (and will have) enough breaks go our way (a large part of successful seasons for teams not blowing people out) for us to be successful. Not to take everything into consideration before crowning Ted Thompson the second coming of Christ is definitely blind faith.

3) I am happy we are 7-1, I look forward to being in the playoffs and making a run at it. That doesn't mean that I am not concerned about Ted Thompson's missteps the past THREE YEARS that are our glaring weaknesses that he has not addressed. If and when he decides to actually TRY and produce a running game, provides real VETERAN depth and uses everything at his disposal to help this team win (i.e. all of the cap money for the season) then I will change my tune. Even if he brings in some players that don't work out. He isn't even doing that, not giving anyone a shot a running back but Grant, offensive guard accept the players we have. It is those very things that Ted Thompson appeasers forget when they go giving him the keys to the world.

Face it, this team is 7-1 because of the play of #4, the timely defensive turnovers and the breaks that have gone our way. It isn't because we are dominating every one like the Patriots, Cowboys, Colts and now apparently the Steelers. There are only two games remaining on our schedule that any true Packer Fan should think are a lock, Oakland and St Louis. Other then that the other 6 games are all games we could lose and finish 9-7. If we were a great team with plenty of depth, a rushing attack, a consistent shutdown defense then I am sure none of you would ever question us winning any of our remaining games. BUT, a lot of people are questioning if we can and those very same people are praising Ted Thompson for where we are at but not asking themselves WHY they have concerns about the remaining schedule. Are we a pretty good team? Hell yeah, are we a great team? Hell no. Why not? When you can answer that and not involved Ted Thompson's decision making let me know.

swede
11-09-2007, 12:21 PM
2) Can anyone show me where I said we weren't a pretty good team?

1) I do not HATE Ted Thompson. I HATE the way he is not giving us any depth, a chance to run the ball, veteran depth and entering the past two seasons with money in his pocket that could have gone to HELPING this team in these areas. Youth is all fine and good and it's great we have some good young talent on this team. BUT, outside of the starters and the defensive line, there is zero depth on this team. Maybe now at WR since Robinson returned but that remains to be seen.

Just messin' with you man.

:)

From where I'm sitting, all is happy in 7-1 land.

RashanGary
11-09-2007, 12:33 PM
From bottom 5 team to top 5 team in two years. I'm satisfied with Ted Thompsons work.

Let's see how it's sustained over the next 5-8 years and let's see if he can put them over the top in one or two of them. It looks to me like Ted Thompson is buying himself another 5 year deal, so I'm sure we'll have the next decade or so to judge his work.

Can he get them over the top? We'll find out. Right now, all we know is that it's going in the right direction. We don't know if it will get there or when. He has a chance.

Carolina_Packer
11-09-2007, 01:11 PM
From bottom 5 team to top 5 team in two years. I'm satisfied with Ted Thompsons work.

Let's see how it's sustained over the next 5-8 years and let's see if he can put them over the top in one or two of them. It looks to me like Ted Thompson is buying himself another 5 year deal, so I'm sure we'll have the next decade or so to judge his work.

Can he get them over the top? We'll find out. Right now, all we know is that it's going in the right direction. We don't know if it will get there or when. He has a chance.

Good points. Merlin, I don't know that Thompson is looking for veteran depth as you suggest; I'm thinking that if he was, we'd have some. The way the NFL is setup now, there are always guys who are cap casualties or just a little past their prime in terms of production to earnings. You may prescribe veteran depth, but that's just your opinion. You're calling it a must have. Thompson sees it another way. He sees football as a young man's sport, with the exception of established veterans.

I think everyone agrees that they don't like the running game as it is. Who would? The line looked like they were coming together toward the end of last year. But, with young talent, you can't count on consistency. The glass half full theory says, we're 7-1 despite our deficiencies. The glass half-empty crowd would say, I'm happy to be 7-1, but when it is all going to come tumbling down because we can't run the ball?

I had some posts where I got on TT for not doing more with the running game in the offseason, but I think it was Harvey who said, and who would you have gotten? The more you think about it, he's right. Travis Henry is not durable. Neither is Chris Brown. Jamal Lewis isn't, but I don't know if he was traded or was a FA. Reuben Droughns anyone? No way we were going to match the offer that Ahman got from Houston. How's that working out for them, BTW? Their QB situation is in flux. At long last, you realize, there weren't a lot of great options. My only conclusion looking back over TT's tenure is that he should have realized AG was in decline after those great years and should have gone after a top-tier running back in either or both of his first two drafts. The only two names I can think of are Frank Gore who was the beginning of the third round in 2005 and Jerious Norwood from 2006. That would have possibly given us a better chance at a more established running game by this point. He thought it was enough to have Morency, Jackson, Wynn, P.J. Pope, Arliss Beach, and company, but he turned out to be wrong because of injuries and lack of development. The only think he can do is learn from it now. You can sit and beat him up over it, but we are where we are. I'm not giving him conditional support, but full support. Not because I agree with everything he does, because as you can see by what I just wrote, I thought he should have stocked up on RB's from his first draft to succeed AG. He didn't, and we're scrambling now. Do you think he knows it was a calculated risk? I think he does now! He's human; he's a work in progress like all of us. He has done good things. Gotta shake your head and smile sometimes at how fortunate we are to be 7-1 without an effective running game. But, here we are going forward.

There are always going to be areas that need improvement. Right now they just have to improve on the fly and try and coach/play their way out of the defficiencies. What else can they do at this point? I'm sure it feels a little helpless when you think you've got enough personnel and then it turns out what you have underperforms. That's the point where you have to show patience and coach 'em up (especially when they are young), or decide to go in a different direction (assuming you have anyone else who can fill in). Again, wow, 7-1...just incredible and fun. I'm enjoying it like crazy. Who'da thunk it?

Merlin
11-09-2007, 02:44 PM
Thanks for the rational rebutle. We as a fan base need to keep our feet planted on the ground. It's great to be 7-1. There is always that "but" that a lot of fans seem to be ignoring and I find it laughable that those that are all over 3T like he is god then bash the very players 3T gave us. I "support" the Packers and 3T is a part of that. I personally would not extend his contract beyond 3 years. If anything this team saved his ass in order to get another contract at all, not the other way around. I am willing to wait another 1-2 seasons with 3T if the success keeps coming and the Packers become a dominating team. Once the Packers cease to be dominant or don't make significant strides towards that next season, he needs to go because his plan although good on paper isn't working.

cheesner
11-09-2007, 03:08 PM
Thanks for the rational rebutle. We as a fan base need to keep our feet planted on the ground. It's great to be 7-1. There is always that "but" that a lot of fans seem to be ignoring and I find it laughable that those that are all over 3T like he is god then bash the very players 3T gave us. I "support" the Packers and 3T is a part of that. I personally would not extend his contract beyond 3 years. If anything this team saved his ass in order to get another contract at all, not the other way around. I am willing to wait another 1-2 seasons with 3T if the success keeps coming and the Packers become a dominating team. Once the Packers cease to be dominant or don't make significant strides towards that next season, he needs to go because his plan although good on paper isn't working.I think you get the cart before the horse. The players saved him? He is responsible for most of the players on the field. Even AK, Franks, Harris, Barnett, Jenkins, DD, etc the guys he didn't draft, he resigned, therefore he is responsible for them being here. Although he went into the season with cap space, he has never left the season with any left on the table either. As our new promising stars emerge, they will be locked up also, because we have the space. TT is not just responsible for winning today, he is also responsible for winning tomorrow. I think that is the biggest difference in you line of reasoning and TTs. Burning FA money today to makes the Packers a little better now, but it prevents you from spending it later and making the Packers great.

woodbuck27
11-09-2007, 07:50 PM
LMFAO. . . .

What are YOU JH?

The resident Psychiatrist on Packerrats.

That post makes YOU out to be just what YOU are.

CLASSLESS ! I have to be fair to YOU and guess that it's mostly due to immaturity JH.

TT has made too many errors in judgement to deserve credit for 7-1 this season and it's too obvious why that's the case.

WE are winning because MM and Favre are on the same page and we have WR's that are playing overall so far very well.

Last time I looked our Running game was atrocious and dead last in the NFL.Going to allow TT to own that too JH?

Why is the best WR this season in the NFL in the hold of the team that may swamp us in any potential super Bowl appearance.

Oh maybe YOU believe that loss of RM is justified in light of the future career of James Jones and that argument does have creedance.

Yet young enough to possibly recover and see both sides of an argument with out inciting a near riot with your arrogance and judgementle sentiments against people that have every right NOT to favor a GM that constantly bungles when most here could see it better for our team.

As for your claims that people like me are sociopaths.

YOU present yourself there as not very intelligent ,nor ensitive and definitely
NOT wise.

I would be willing to bet that I am as normal in my brain chemistry as YOU think YOU are.My attitudes to what is good living and proper treatment of people is maybe even a step beyound YOU Mistro.

I don't have to prove my ability to analyze or interpret the facts relevant to is it good or bad mister.

I didn't win the Pickem last season and again challenge this season because I'm a dummy. I study the Packers,the NFL and I have been a fan of football longer than you have lived JH.

I pay my DAM dues young fella.

In my sight noone on our Packer HOME is any more obsessed than YOU are in YOUR Man love for our GM.

TT has the handle on one thing. He's a great Accountant/Treasurer.

He has two first round Draft picks that may never make a significant contribution to us. He sits hoping for that to be a good choice and waits on a DT thaat many here want signed last month.tT plays foolish games and that way will eventually cost us HUGE!

I have little TRUST in Ted Thompson to be at all what we need in a GM and nothing has happened overall to convince me to suck up to the rest of YOU who are in LOVE with him.

Wouldn't it just be more sensable to agree to disagree. Oh wait this isn't a marriage.Hahahaa.

OUR OL looks terrible to support our RUNNING GAME that isn't anything but U.G.L.Y. You better see it clearly young fella and it is clearly to date .

F.A.V.R.E. I would be willing to bet that most of the Packers would agree to that as a fact.

MM certainly would.

How many plays did TT make this season JH?

He is simply put NOT the man I would ever support based on his performance as not a draft expert and his ability to take advantage of any opportunity that doesn't come with cheap as a price tag.

I am liking the Ryan Pickett deal more this season and C.Woodson is a definite playmaker so that gets my check. How many FA pickups has he completely blown JH.

The decent one's cost him something. . RIGHT?

TT appears to me to be a man possessed of false pride and certainly slow to take any step that would place him under a microscope.ie Moss.

HE ALSO CERTAINLY LOOKED BAD IN SUPPORT OF fAVRE AND OUR 'O' ON THAT FIZZLE EFFORT.

BLOWING the Randy Moss to Green Bay deal just plain sucks out loud.
Last season T.O. was a similiar lost opportunity.Two outstanding talen
ts at WR and both interested in our team and N.O.T.H.I.N.G.

How long do we have to wait to see him clue into C. Williams? Will he be as lucky as he was with A. Kampman?

So from one of the psychopaths( your shot JH)

JAM that post where the SUN doesn't shine for YOU.

yOu can be so pathetic JH and face tooo face YOU would never call me a psycopath without an Irish reaction.

YOU will never get it will YOU JH?

How's LIFE treating YOU overall Man?

MadtownPacker
11-09-2007, 07:53 PM
SOV makes the best threads. :lol:

Partial
11-09-2007, 08:25 PM
Ok if TT doesn't get any credit for putting together a team that is 7-1, when does he get credit, woodbuck?

You can say the success if based on Favre and MM being on the same page with good receivers, but who brought all those pieces together?

I don't think anyone should give TT credit or a lack of credit for anything. I think its clear that the organization is on an upswing after a few down years.

woodbuck27
11-09-2007, 08:28 PM
SOV makes the best threads. :lol:

Where is the DAM Boxing Ring Mad?

Haha. :)

This debate will never die here so let's just hammer it out.

Then of course YOU get the really sensitive people here that want to complain about correct conduct and are the most avid readers of this sort of tussel.

Those poster's bug me the most.

The MOST HOLY of the HOLY. DAM!

I really believe the Wizard deserves a lot of credit for standing on what he see's, and not buckling to the heat of the doninant cliquish people here.

Some of us won't suck up, and then when we are quiet and just trying to enjoy this surprizing first half, the shit disturbers have to call us down or out.

Well I'm out and I certainly don't want us to start losing to add credance to the fact I am remiss as to why some here worship Ted Thompson.

Just imagine how good we could be if he had gotten us a running game.Oh yes it will take another 2-3-4 seasons for our current group of offensive lineman to get to their true potential and us see a great ZBS deliver the RUN back to the Packers.

When was the last time a Packer team ran the ball so poorly Harvey? Anyone?

Bullshit spports our GM and not a lot more.

Talent is not something that comes about by magical thinking or suddenly falls fr. the sky into the person od all players that TT decided are his guy's.

How many Aaron Kampman's can we expect Packerrats?

I would FIRE TT in a NY minute and confidently hire any number of people even here on this Forum to replace him.

I am not on the TT bandwagon because he has a long ways to go before I can applaud him as a GM. I just can't go against what I see.I an not a TT hater nor am I stubborn to see him anyway than i always have. Not that good of a GM.

I only see it patiently as he is on a learning curve but DAM that man is slow to learn or take a clear advantage.He is all about not too much money now and with that we can't expect a Super Bowl in Favre's time.

Favre will return next season unless he finally realizes he just cannot support TT again in another excruciatingly slow and agonizing painful offseason.

What in 'H' does this man have as a plan for next season.It had better have something to do with the position called Running Back.

Someone order him some smelling salts fr. E-BAY.He needs to waken up and get in the game.

PACKERS FOREVER. and a GM that doesn't resemble a statue. :)

The Shadow
11-09-2007, 08:45 PM
Same old tired, flaccid crap.
Merlot and Woodbutt are probably chilling the champagne while
waiting for the Packers to lose a game.

woodbuck27
11-09-2007, 08:51 PM
Same old tired, flaccid crap.
Merlot and Woodbutt are probably chilling the champagne while
waiting for the Packers to lose a game.

You can imagine anything that pleases YOU because obviously YOU do know it all.

Geee !

All this time I thought that Merlin was 'the Shadow's' mentor.

cheesner
11-09-2007, 09:30 PM
. . .

Just imagine how good we could be if he had gotten us a running game.Oh yes it will take another 2-3-4 seasons for our current group of offensive lineman to get to their true potential and us see a great ZBS deliver the RUN back to the Packers.

When was the last time a Packer team ran the ball so poorly Harvey? Anyone?

. . .

I would FIRE TT in a NY minute and confidently hire any number of people even here on this Forum to replace him.

I am not on the TT bandwagon because he has a long ways to go before I can applaud him as a GM. I just can't go against what I see.I an not a TT hater nor am I stubborn to see him anyway than i always have. Not that good of a GM.

I only see it patiently as he is on a learning curve but DAM that man is slow to learn or take a clear advantage.He is all about not too much money now and with that we can't expect a Super Bowl in Favre's time.

. . .Not trying to be antagonistic here, I am just trying to understand this viewpoint of yours.

You are upset with TT because he didn't build a running based team. You are not happy with a team that is successful in passing, and poor in running. Even if the Packers are winning, that isn't necessarily what you want.

I don't worship TT by any means, but I appreciate the tremendous success he has had so far. I don't expect a perfect team, dominant in every aspect. Our running games does suck, I don't know how anyone can disagree with you there. I just do not expect TT to fix all the issues with this team in just 3 years. Unfortunately, TT cannot automatically make the running game better - its not just an issue of throwing money at it. There has to be opportunities to improve the team also - and not at the expense of the future or other aspects. He is competing with 31 other GMs for a finite amount of talent and money.

RashanGary
11-09-2007, 09:36 PM
I'll bet Ted Thompson will be around for another 5 years after his first 5 years is up. We'll have plenty of time to find out exactly what he's made of.

Scott Campbell
11-09-2007, 10:03 PM
I think admitting they were wrong about TT would be too big a blow to their egos.

esoxx
11-09-2007, 10:04 PM
I'll bet Ted Thompson will be around for another 5 years after his first 5 years is up. We'll have plenty of time to find out exactly what he's made of.

Exactly. We still don't know for sure what we've got here. Some promising things for sure, but no knows what lies ahead. A lot will depend on whether he was right on Aaron Rodgers.

b bulldog
11-10-2007, 07:22 AM
Some get on me cause I state unpopular things about certain players on a biweekey of bimonthly basis but the people who in here that continually get on TT after what he has done for this organization are just plain ignorant. Their is simply no denying that TT's way has worked and that he is doing a very good job. I won't mention names but give me a break, 7-1 and the thing is, TT hired MM and he's drafted and signed the nucleus of this team. He has put us in a position where we should be contenders for quite some time. Looks as though TT has gotten the last laugh to this point, time to move on.

Rastak
11-10-2007, 07:48 AM
From scout.com,

The general manager didn’t have a perfect offseason, but he’s succeeded in building a team that should contend for a long time, PackerReport.com’s Steve Lawrence says.

As Ted Thompson likes to say, “the proof is in the pudding.”
That’s the case when looking back at the 2007 offseason. Professional and armchair pundits alike offered the Packers’ general manager gobs of unsolicited advice about who to draft and who to sign. Thompson, based on such trivial things as thousands of hours of film study and years of experience, ignored all of us.

So, how did his moves — or lack of them — work out? The proof is indeed in the pudding. And the standings. The Packers are 7-1 and in position to challenge for home-field advantage throughout the NFC playoffs.

Thompson fails to land Moss

If it’s not Tom Brady, then Randy Moss is the midseason NFL most valuable player. Moss is on pace for 100 catches for 1,642 yards and 21 touchdowns.

If Thompson would have known what he knows now, maybe he would have given up a fourth-round pick for Moss, who averaged 50 catches, 775 yards and eight touchdowns over the previous three pout-filled seasons.

Then again, there’s no guarantee Moss would have been as productive in Green Bay. Would he play as hard for unproven Mike McCarthy as he’s playing for three-time Super Bowl-winning coach Bill Belichick? Meanwhile, Thompson is building a team for the long haul. Certainly, Moss helps today, but is it worth it to slow the development of youngsters Greg Jennings and James Jones?

Beyond all of that, Brett Favre is on pace for a career-high 4,812 yards, his 66.6 percent accuracy is the best of his career and the Packers are ninth in the NFL with 24.2 points per game. Moss would have given the Packers a better red zone offense, but the passing game is doing just fine without him.

The draft

Packers fans voiced their opinion of the first-round selection of Justin Harrell by booing Thompson.

So far, the fans are right. Harrell has played in only a couple of games, and he’s out with a sprained ankle. Harrell didn’t exactly wow anybody during training camp, and he basically looks like a really strong guy who needs a lot of work on his technique.

It doesn’t help that he plays the Packers’ deepest position. First-round picks are supposed to provide a big impact — the sooner, the better — and unless Harrell was a dominant force in training camp, he was destined to be a part-time player, at best.

But, let’s not call Justin Harrell the next Jamal Reynolds just yet. Tackle Johnny Jolly didn’t do anything as a rookie last season, but he’s been one of the Packers’ better defensive players this season. Defensive linemen generally take a year ot two to develop, and Harrell barely played during his senior season at Tennessee because of a season-ending biceps injury.

The Packers have fielded a strong second-half defense, allowing only 67 points in eight games. It all starts up front, and having a deep defensive line is critical. Harrell will play a key role in the future, especially with Corey Williams heading toward free agency.

As for the rest of the draft, this way-too-early review isn’t promising. Jones has been a third-round steal and Mason Crosby looks like the long-term answer at kicker, but Thompson hasn’t gotten much out of his eight other picks.

Brandon Jackson (second round) looks like just a guy at running back. We’ll learn something about safety Aaron Rouse (third round) as he replaces Nick Collins for the next couple weeks. Allen Barbre (fourth round) is a long-term offensive line prospect. Korey Hall (sixth round) looks overmatched at fullback. Linebacker Desmond Bishop (sixth round) is OK on special teams. DeShawn Wynn (seventh round) needs to get tough or find a new line of work.

Receiver David Clowney (fifth round) and tight end Clark Harris neither made the roster nor practice squad.

Free agency

Thompson didn’t do much here, signing only cornerback Frank Walker.

But, the 2007 free agent class was short on talent and high on signing bonuses.

Fans wanted help at tight end and receiver, but as it turns out, the Packers needed neither. With tight end Donald Lee, Thompson was right that help was already on the roster. Jennings and Jones, of course, have been superb at receiver.

The Packers needed a running back after Houston overpaid for Ahman Green. The best ones available were Michael Turner, Jamal Lewis, Dominic Rhodes and Travis Henry. San Diego wasn’t letting Turner out of town, Lewis is old, Rhodes has been suspended and Henry is appealing his.

Proof is in the pudding

Thompson didn’t exactly bat 1.000 during the offseason, but the Packers are one of the best teams in the NFL.

Would the Packers have been better off with Moss? Would the Packers had been better served trading up in the first round to get the running back they coveted, Marshawn Lynch?

The answer to both is probably yes. But Moss was coming off three childish, underachieving seasons, and Mike Sherman ran the Packers into the ground by too often trading up to draft stiffs, and therefore wasting two or three draft picks instead of one.

The good news is, the Packers’ young roster has plenty of room to grow, and Thompson has the salary cap space to — as I have guessed all along — sign some free agents to fill the remaining holes.

With the Packers’ record, cap space and youth, they are the envy of much of the league. That’s the proof in the pudding.

Steve Lawrence is a regular contributor to PackerReport.com. E-mail him at

son of a vic
11-10-2007, 12:20 PM
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Now I understand where you are coming from Merlin. You actually think you know more about talent evaluation and running a pro football franchise than Ted Thompson does?. Your comment about having a Packer Rat running the team shows whatever common sense you once might have had, has been replaced by dillusion and total fantasy.

cheesner
11-10-2007, 01:13 PM
. . .

. . .

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Now I understand where you are coming from Merlin. You actually think you know more about talent evaluation and running a pro football franchise than Ted Thompson does?. Your comment about having a Packer Rat running the team shows whatever common sense you once might have had, has been replaced by dillusion and total fantasy.

Son of a vic, did you mean Woody?

Yes, it is kind of scary to think that Woody could actually be a stock holder.

son of a vic
11-10-2007, 05:46 PM
. . .

. . .

Son of a vic, did you mean Woody?

Yes, it is kind of scary to think that Woody could actually be a stock holder.

Yeah, I messed up, but I'm pretty sure Merlin would back up Woody on this point.
Don't get me going on the whole "stockholder" thing. A worthless piece of paper that means absolutely nothing.

son of a vic
11-10-2007, 06:12 PM

First of all let's put aside a few misnomers:

2) Can anyone show me where I said we weren't a pretty good team? I believe our defense has not been playing up to it's full potential although the past two weeks they have stepped up when they needed to, I believe our offense is waiting for the wheels to fall off the bus because we cannot run the ball effectively enough to control the clock and put teams away. Does that mean they aren't pretty good? No, it means the team has some legitimate concerns that are were not being addressed by Thompson, the very person everyone is calling a mastermind for a 7-1 start. I think we have just enough good players to be good this season, I think we have had (and will have) enough breaks go our way (a large part of successful seasons for teams not blowing people out) for us to be successful. Not to take everything into consideration before crowning Ted Thompson the second coming of Christ is definitely blind faith.

3) I am happy we are 7-1, I look forward to being in the playoffs and making a run at it. That doesn't mean that I am not concerned about Ted Thompson's missteps the past THREE YEARS that are our glaring weaknesses that he has not addressed. If and when he decides to actually TRY and produce a running game, provides real VETERAN depth and uses everything at his disposal to help this team win (i.e. all of the cap money for the season) then I will change my tune. Even if he brings in some players that don't work out. He isn't even doing that, not giving anyone a shot a running back but Grant, offensive guard accept the players we have. It is those very things that Ted Thompson appeasers forget when they go giving him the keys to the world.

Face it, this team is 7-1 because of the play of #4, the timely defensive turnovers and the breaks that have gone our way. It isn't because we are dominating every one like the Patriots, Cowboys, Colts and now apparently the Steelers. There are only two games remaining on our schedule that any true Packer Fan should think are a lock, Oakland and St Louis. Other then that the other 6 games are all games we could lose and finish 9-7. If we were a great team with plenty of depth, a rushing attack, a consistent shutdown defense then I am sure none of you would ever question us winning any of our remaining games. BUT, a lot of people are questioning if we can and those very same people are praising Ted Thompson for where we are at but not asking themselves WHY they have concerns about the remaining schedule. Are we a pretty good team? Hell yeah, are we a great team? Hell no. Why not? When you can answer that and not involved Ted Thompson's decision making let me know.

Nice end around Merlin, but you didn't answer my question. What is the outcome of this season that will satisfy you?

We don't need six paragraphs, just a record, and how far into the play-offs.

Scott Campbell
11-12-2007, 12:51 AM
Looks like Ted may have done ok by giving up that 6th round pick.

3irty1
11-12-2007, 01:14 AM
TT is starting to remind me of Doug Melvin. To an extent I think he won the lottery with some of his guys but power to him. I'd rather be lucky than good. He's brought in real, contributing, talent in unlikely places. (such as the Giants roster) This team is getting better every single week!!!

cpk1994
11-12-2007, 09:45 AM
I think admitting they were wrong about TT would be too big a blow to their egos.Ding Ding Ding. We have a winner. Bitching about TT is the only reason for their existence here.

Tyrone Bigguns
11-12-2007, 12:28 PM
Wow. I can't believe the posts I read from Woodbuck and Merlin. You guys have to be the most miserable bastards ever.

And, Woodbuck, you have to be one of the dumbest ever. I would be embarrassed to even have thought what you wrote.

"I would FIRE TT in a NY minute and confidently hire any number of people even here on this Forum to replace him."

The bottom line is this. The top guy gets the credit and the blame for EVERYTHING. To say that the success of this team doesn't reflect on TT is ludicrous. This is HIS team. Regardless of players that he inherited. Those players could have been cut or traded. Those are decisions that TT made. If MM installs the offense and defense that is a winner, then it is certainly TT's success as he hired him. And, let's not forget how many fans were against the MM hiring. TT took a bunch of heat for that. Now, you wanna just give the credit to MM? Laughable.

TT could have traded Favre. He could have cut good players that he didn't like, didn't feel could adapt, etc. Those are decisions HE made. And, deciding not to do something is a decision as much as deciding to do something.

Oh, and for you two, the last time we had a poor running game...that would be under Ron Wolf in Holmgren's early years. We ran probably worse then when it seemed all we had was Favre to Sharpe. But, like most rational/sane fans we had a sense that things were on the upswing. That this team was being built, that there was a plan. That is the same feeling that any normal, rational fan has now. Are we perfect, of course not. But, I watch this team and the moves TT has made and I can plainly see that TT has a philosophy and methodology..and as my mom and TT say, the proof is in the pudding. This team has shown constant growth.

Woody and Merlin, the time is now for you to gracefully acknowledge that TT has turned this team around in a much quicker time frame than anyone expected.

It is sad when tyrone has to tell you two to stop hitting the pipe.

Partial
11-12-2007, 12:35 PM
One thing that I think TT has identified very well is what the fine line between good enough to have success and not good enough to have success. Our offensive line is good in pass blocking, and appears to be good enough run blocking for our backs to keep a defense honest. With Favre at the helm, thats really all you need. Take the early Favre years, for example.

I don't think any spot on the team is bad. I think some are weaker than others, but I think every position has players you can win with if you have play makers surrounding them. With Jennings arriving, the Silver Fox chucking the rock, and Kampman, Al, Chuck and Barnett anchoring the #2 scoring defense in the league, it seems they can get by with just good enough at a few positions.

VegasPackFan
11-12-2007, 12:43 PM
Sometimes people back themselves into a corner by arguing a point so vociferously that they cannot reverse themselves. That is what we have here. They will bob and weave around all logic to keep their stance instead of swallowing their pride and just admitting their error.

Fact is that we have turned the corner and it is no longer a question of "we'll see in a few years what TT can do". He has built a strong team WITHOUT plugging in the short-term aging FA's that make you look good for one year and then who knows what you have the next. These players are young and this team is only going up.

Zool
11-12-2007, 01:31 PM
Sometimes people back themselves into a corner by arguing a point so vociferously that they cannot reverse themselves. That is what we have here. They will bob and weave around all logic to keep their stance instead of swallowing their pride and just admitting their error.

Fact is that we have turned the corner and it is no longer a question of "we'll see in a few years what TT can do". He has built a strong team WITHOUT plugging in the short-term aging FA's that make you look good for one year and then who knows what you have the next. These players are young and this team is only going up.

You had me at "vociferously".

SkinBasket
11-12-2007, 02:53 PM

Once again, you unintentionally provide some of the best humor here. You've said a lot of stupid things over the course of this season, but you always find a way to go even deeper into the stark depths of cluelessness to pull out another gem like this.

When I picture Merlin, I see a blind man continuously running into a brick wall, cursing the daylights out of the wall, calling it blind and stupid, then proceeding to walk right back into the same wall and repeating the process until he's unconscious.

Zool
11-12-2007, 02:57 PM

Once again, you unintentionally provide some of the best humor here. You've said a lot of stupid things over the course of this season, but you always find a way to go even deeper into the stark depths of cluelessness to pull out another gem like this.

When I picture Merlin, I see a blind man continuously running into a brick wall, cursing the daylights out of the wall, calling it blind and stupid, then proceeding to walk right back into the same wall and repeating the process until he's unconscious.

Sounds like my typical Thursday.

SkinBasket
11-12-2007, 02:58 PM

So I guess Grant is better than Barry Sanders? Right BANG on!

Now if we could only determine who was responsible for bringing such a wonderful talent to Green Bay we could all give him the accolades he deserves!

woodbuck27
11-12-2007, 03:09 PM
I think admitting they were wrong about TT would be too big a blow to their egos.

Scott this has nothing to do with my eGO but rather just the way I perceive Ted Thompson as a lame ass GM that we need to carefully assess.

As surprized as YOU may be towords my position on him exactly reflects my feelings regarding all YOU who are so blindly adoring of him.

i follow a lot of sports and have for longer than you've lived man and TT is a few bricks short of the full load I expect our GM to pull to get us all the way to the Super Bowl.

He has a hard head and not ready to pull the trigger when the time is obvious.

See Randy Moss and T.O.

See Marshawn Lynch!! How's he looking in BUFFALO?
Was he even on TT's radar screen?

See the weakness in our ZBS.

How are we looking at the safety spot and at CB for our future with Al Harris and Charles Woodson aging; and the likes of Will Blackmon and J Bush** not appearing to be an answer due to his constant bouts with injury.\ and ** his sloppy play.

Are we looking great at FB and TE? robert Lee has shown us more but is it enough for our offense?

lots of questions that TT has to address not YOU or I and this is a GM that selected a DT this season in the first round where we are obbviously NOT in need.

How are the other DT's doing that went in last April's Draft Scott?

GO PACK GO !

I do like Ryan Grant at RB but when will TT let gp of Morency?

mraynrand
11-12-2007, 03:10 PM

You sure it wasn't a 2007 Chevy Malibu? Word is they are very easy to overlook.

Merlin
11-12-2007, 03:11 PM
Nice end around Merlin, but you didn't answer my question. What is the outcome of this season that will satisfy you?

When he makes a positive impact on the items I have been talking about for 3 years. For some of us, it's not all about the record. Just because that is your only measure of success doesn't mean it's the same for all of us. According to your yard stick, Sherman was a great GM, right?

And I don't need your constant failure to comprehend what is said. If you don't understand the concept, ask someone to explain it to you.

SkinBasket
11-12-2007, 03:14 PM
As surprized as YOU may be towords my position on him exactly reflects my feelings regarding all YOU who are so blindly adoring of him.

Maybe it's Woody that Merlin is constantly running into.

woodbuck27
11-12-2007, 03:14 PM

Now if we could only determine who was responsible for bringing such a wonderful talent to Green Bay we could all give him the accolades he dserves!

This is one move by TT that clearly Skin I am applauding.

I HAVE ALWAYS LIKED TT'S AGRESSIVENESS IN ACQUIRING RYAN GRANT BUT OF COURSE THE COST WAS ONLY A 6TH AND THE $ NOT A LOT.

Merlin
11-12-2007, 03:15 PM

Why is it when you have nothing to back yourself up with you resort to name calling and demoralizing comments? Seems to me that horse you are on just keeps getting smaller and smaller. I do feel sorry for you, it must be rough only knowing what you know.

SkinBasket
11-12-2007, 03:16 PM
You sure it wasn't a 2007 Chevy Malibu? Word is they are very easy to overlook.

I used to roll in the 'Bu the first year they "reintroduced" the model so I feel a little betrayed by the new ad campaign.

I also blame Ted for not finding me a sexier car at such an affordable price.

SkinBasket
11-12-2007, 03:19 PM
Why is it when you have nothing to back yourself up with you resort to name calling and demoralizing comments? Seems to me that horse you are on just keeps getting smaller and smaller. I do feel sorry for you, it must be rough only knowing what you know.

I am truly sorry I demoralized you. That must be a tragic feeling.

I've said it before and I'll say it again. You've got to be the funniest fucker on this board without even trying. Thanks for the laughs.

SkinBasket
11-12-2007, 03:21 PM

Now if we could only determine who was responsible for bringing such a wonderful talent to Green Bay we could all give him the accolades he dserves!

This is one move by TT that clearly Skin I am applauding.

I HAVE ALWAYS LIKED TT'S AGRESSIVENESS IN ACQUIRING RYAN GRANT BUT OF COURSE THE COST WAS ONLY A 6TH AND THE $ NOT A LOT.

The comment went more to the play of our offensive line than the RB, since I'm assuming you don't actually feel Grant is better than Sanders. Then again, what the hell, maybe you do.

cheesner
11-12-2007, 03:22 PM
COGNITIVE DISSONANCE: An inability to handle new information that contradicts long-held deep beliefs.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cognitive_dissonance

To help you all what these poor bastards are going through.

Here is the issue. They wanted TT fired because he should be responsible for the team's success. The team is successful, so they attribute that to other factors. If they want TT fired now, then they are contradicting the idea that a GM is ultimately responsible for the success of a team.

RashanGary
11-12-2007, 03:25 PM
The comment went more to the play of our offensive line than the RB, since I'm assuming you don't actually feel Grant is better than Sanders. Then again, what the hell, maybe you do.

I have a theory that both Woodbuck and Merlin are brilliant sociopaths who speak in riddles designed to amuse themselves.

He just said Grant was a great pick up, but didn't cost much. (as if getting something for nothing is anything other than great work) He gave TT credit, but said it in a backwards way that looked like a shot on TT.

Zool
11-12-2007, 03:34 PM

Yes, but not at the expense of 2 additional picks to move up.

Car Yards Avg TD Long
Week 10 vs Jax - M. Lynch 19 61 3.2 1 18
Week 9 vs Cin - M. Lynch 29 153 5.3 1 56
Week 8 vs NYJ - M. Lynch 21 80 3.8 0 10
Week 7 vs Bal - M. Lynch 27 84 3.1 1 23
Week 6 Bye
Week 5 vs Dal - M. Lynch 20 66 3.3 0 15
Week 4 vs NYJ - M. Lynch 23 79 3.4 1 11
Week 3 vs NE - M. Lynch 20 74 3.7 1 12
Week 2 vs Pit - M. Lynch 18 64 3.6 0 12
Week 1 vs Den - M. Lynch 19 90 4.7 1 23

He's looking very pedestrian. That could be that Buffalo cant run block, but by your estimation we cant either. So would it have been worth trading up and maybe missing out on Jones?

I would estimate that 60-70% of your posts have something questioning Thompson, whether or not it has any bearing on the topic or not. You call the man a "Lame Ass GM" because his team building philosophy differs from yours, yet the Packers are 8-1. You say this is in spite of him, yet you hold no executive position in an NFL office. Your posts are so far out that people feel compelled to reply, yet you get overly defensive if they disagree with you.

i follow a lot of sports and have for longer than you've lived man and TT is a few bricks short of the full load I expect our GM to pull to get us all the way to the Super Bowl.

You must have absolutely HATED Sherman then. That man's draft hit % was about 5% and he wasted picks trading up on busts and bad trades. 2 picks for RKal Truluk? I could go down the draft day debacles, but they have been rehashed too many time.

You have every right to question the GM no matter who it is, but to say he's a lame ass GM at 8-1 seems like sour grapes.

SkinBasket
11-12-2007, 03:35 PM
COGNITIVE DISSONANCE: An inability to handle new information that contradicts long-held deep beliefs.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cognitive_dissonance

To help you all what these poor bastards are going through.

Here is the issue. They wanted TT fired because he should be responsible for the team's success. The team is successful, so they attribute that to other factors. If they want TT fired now, then they are contradicting the idea that a GM is ultimately responsible for the success of a team.

I'm going to try to cognitively dissonancify myself shortly.

PackerTimer
11-12-2007, 03:37 PM

Scott this has nothing to do with my eGO but rather just the way I perceive Ted Thompson as a lame ass GM that we need to carefully assess.

He has a hard head and not ready to pull the trigger when the time is obvious.

See Randy Moss and T.O.

See the weakness in our ZBS.

How are we looking at the safety spot and at CB for our future with Al Harris and Charles Woodson aging; and the likes of Will Blackmon and J Bush** not appearing to be an answer due to his constant bouts with injury.\ and ** his sloppy play.

Are we looking great at FB and TE? robert Lee has shown us more but is it enough for our offense?

lots of questions that TT has to address not YOU or I and this is a GM that selected a DT this season in the first round where we are obbviously NOT in need.

How are the other DT's doing that went in last April's Draft Scott?

GO PACK GO !

I do like Ryan Grant at RB but when will TT let gp of Morency?

Moss was obviously worth pursuing, but maybe not for the Packers. TT wasn't willing to give up a higher draft pick for a player that had a ton of question marks. I have no problem with that. Hindsight is always perfect. TO? Where the hell did you pull that from. The fact that people complain about our receiving corp is laughable. If TT had brought in either of the guys you mentioned Jennings, Jones, and Martin would not be making plays and developing a solid core of receivers for the future. They are good now and they will be even better in the future.

I'm sure Lynch was on TT's radar. But in case you forgot he was drafted well before we picked. Giving up picks in the draft is one sure fire way to run a team into the ground. See Mike Sherman's tenure.

Again, complaining about the play of our defense is laughable. Harris and Woodson have shown plenty this year. It's not like these gusy are getting burned for big plays. No reason to think they don't have good years left in them. No need to panic when you have two of the best corners in the league. I'm sure TT will address these needs in the offseason. Biby and Collins have been fine.

Why are so you quick to write off a guy who hasn't played. Yeah, sure I would love to have our first round pick out there, but it's not like his absence is huring us. D-line depth is important. I have no problem with adding talent there year after year.

Has it ever occurred to you guys, that TT saw the talent on the roster and decided not to pursue Moss and others because, frankly, we don't need them. Moss would not be improving our pass game that much. We have thrown the ball well short, middle, and deep. There is very little room for improvement. With the exception of the running game (although it has improved 10 fold over the last few weeks and there wasn't really anybody available that would have helped) we are fairly strong in every facet of the game. For crying out loud we are 8-1 and TT has plenty of cap room to lock up his own guys and if he sees somebody he likes he will pursue them in FA, see Pickett and Woodson.

VegasPackFan
11-12-2007, 05:20 PM
Most reasonable people on this forum took an attitude (rightly so) of waiting 2-3 years to give the new GM a chance to show what he could do. There were very few people that hated or loved him right from the beginning.

Now he is proving to most of us that he does know what he is doing and that his "formula" for team building works. He will not make every move you or any of us wishes he would make every time. He will make the move that HE thinks is best for the team.

The only true measure of success for a GM is the team's record and their current to near future salary cap position.

TT gets a good grade on both accounts.

Some of you want to grade him on whether he made the moves and draft picks YOU wanted him to make. That is ridiculous. You can invent dozens of arguments. Arguments about the future of this position and that position, who he could have signed in FA, etc etc. There would be no way ANY GM would be good with that logic.

The Shadow
11-12-2007, 05:27 PM
Wow. I can't believe the posts I read from Woodbuck and Merlin. You guys have to be the most miserable bastards ever.

And, Woodbuck, you have to be one of the dumbest ever. I would be embarrassed to even have thought what you wrote.

"I would FIRE TT in a NY minute and confidently hire any number of people even here on this Forum to replace him."

The bottom line is this. The top guy gets the credit and the blame for EVERYTHING. To say that the success of this team doesn't reflect on TT is ludicrous. This is HIS team. Regardless of players that he inherited. Those players could have been cut or traded. Those are decisions that TT made. If MM installs the offense and defense that is a winner, then it is certainly TT's success as he hired him. And, let's not forget how many fans were against the MM hiring. TT took a bunch of heat for that. Now, you wanna just give the credit to MM? Laughable.

TT could have traded Favre. He could have cut good players that he didn't like, didn't feel could adapt, etc. Those are decisions HE made. And, deciding not to do something is a decision as much as deciding to do something.

Oh, and for you two, the last time we had a poor running game...that would be under Ron Wolf in Holmgren's early years. We ran probably worse then when it seemed all we had was Favre to Sharpe. But, like most rational/sane fans we had a sense that things were on the upswing. That this team was being built, that there was a plan. That is the same feeling that any normal, rational fan has now. Are we perfect, of course not. But, I watch this team and the moves TT has made and I can plainly see that TT has a philosophy and methodology..and as my mom and TT say, the proof is in the pudding. This team has shown constant growth.

Woody and Merlin, the time is now for you to gracefully acknowledge that TT has turned this team around in a much quicker time frame than anyone expected.

Ding! Ding! Ding!
Another winning post!!!
Applause!!!!!

The Shadow
11-12-2007, 05:29 PM

Ding! Ding! Ding!
ANOTHER winner!!!!
You guys are really hitting the mark today!

Rastak
11-12-2007, 05:33 PM
Well, it's just my opinion but I think McCarthy is the guy doing the best job. TT is doing ok, above average even but MM has been outstanding.

Then again, look who I have to compare him to..... :roll:

Joemailman
11-12-2007, 05:44 PM
Packertimer has it right. Because Thompson had confidence that the guys on his roster were as good or better than most of the players available in free agency, he was seen as tightwad, a hibernator, or a turtle. Sometimes the best deals are the ones you don't make. San Francisco was supposed to be a big winner in free agency, and they are 2-6. Sometimes free agency works, and sometimes it doesn't. New England appears to have done well, but they were probably the second best team in the league already, so I'm not sure how big a difference there is.

In his third year, TT has this team at 8-1, and they are probably at worst the second best team in the NFC. Ron Wolf is justifiably in the Packer Hall Of Fame for what he did here as GM. In his third year in Green Bay, the Packers were still stuck on 9-7. Can't predict the future, but Thompson so far need not take a back seat to his predecessors.

son of a vic
11-12-2007, 05:54 PM

When he makes a positive impact on the items I have been talking about for 3 years. For some of us, it's not all about the record. Just because that is your only measure of success doesn't mean it's the same for all of us. According to your yard stick, Sherman was a great GM, right?

And I don't need your constant failure to comprehend what is said. If you don't understand the concept, ask someone to explain it to you.

Greg Jennings, A.J. Hawk, James Jones, Ryan Grant, Brady Poppinga, Charles Woodson, an entire revamp of the defensive line (except for Kampman,) a head coach that can win on the road,(and at home), an explosive offense, a physical defense, exciting hard nosed football.

You're right, I don't understand how much more of an impact Ted could have on you, other than him coming off the top rope and slamming your sorry ass down to the canvas. Oh, forgive me, you are already there according to this thread.

So in a nutshell, If the Packers get to the Super Bowl this year, you will be bent because Ted hasn't done his job up to YOUR standards.

This is funny shit. Maybe you should head out to Hollywood and bust ass throught the picket line. You make me laugh a lot harder than any sitcom ever could.
And as far the the ITEMS you feel are not being addressed, RETURN TO SENDER.

The Shadow
11-12-2007, 06:24 PM

Greg Jennings, A.J. Hawk, James Jones, Ryan Grant, Brady Poppinga, Charles Woodson, an entire revamp of the defensive line (except for Kampman,) a head coach that can win on the road,(and at home), an explosive offense, a physical defense, exciting hard nosed football.

You're right, I don't understand how much more of an impact Ted could have on you, other than him coming off the top rope and slamming your sorry ass down to the canvas. Oh, forgive me, you are already there according to this thread.

So in a nutshell, If the Packers get to the Super Bowl this year, you will be bent because Ted hasn't done his job up to YOUR standards.

This is funny shit. Maybe you should head out to Hollywood and bust ass throught the picket line. You make me laugh a lot harder than any sitcom ever could.

LOL!!! :D

Merlin
11-12-2007, 07:43 PM
I love all the bullshit you guys come up with!

"Don't disagree with us because Sherman was a joke but Thompson is the real deal and has been since day one! Ron Wolf was a great GM! (after we had multiple years of success of course)" "He Got Jennings, Jones, Hawk, Grant, and Woodson" "Revamped Defense" (top 5 right?) "Doesn't matter that Sherman won games, Thompson is EIGHT AND ONE!" "DID YOU HEAR ME EIGHT AND ONE!" "You are BENT even if we win the super bowl!" (dunno what field that came out of)

That's all you got in your support of the guy????

And I am the one with a problem? Eh, no.

the_idle_threat
11-12-2007, 07:46 PM
:lol: :lol: :lol:

esoxx
11-12-2007, 07:58 PM
In his third year, TT has this team at 8-1, and they are probably at worst the second best team in the NFC. Ron Wolf is justifiably in the Packer Hall Of Fame for what he did here as GM. In his third year in Green Bay, the Packers were still stuck on 9-7. Can't predict the future, but Thompson so far need not take a back seat to his predecessors.

Whoa, slow down there.

TT certainly does take a back seat to Lombardi & Wolf, who both brought World Championships to Titletown. We're getting a little carried away here.

When we add another SB trophy to the collection we'll talk about comparisons.

son of a vic
11-12-2007, 08:03 PM

"Don't disagree with us because Sherman was a joke but Thompson is the real deal and has been since day one! Ron Wolf was a great GM! (after we had multiple years of success of course)" "He Got Jennings, Jones, Hawk, Grant, and Woodson" "Revamped Defense" (top 5 right?) "Doesn't matter that Sherman won games, Thompson is EIGHT AND ONE!" "DID YOU HEAR ME EIGHT AND ONE!" "You are BENT even if we win the super bowl!" (dunno what field that came out of)

POINT NO. 1----This isn't about Shermy, it's about admitting Ted has the team pointed in the right direction.

POINT NO. 2----I said if they GET to a Super Bowl. And the field of cow manure that came out of, was your brainless comment regarding "only basing my opinion" on such a trivial thing as an 8-1 record.

I know this next question is going to have me lyin' on the floor pissin' my pants, but tell us why you think Shermy was a better GM than Ted.

Joemailman
11-12-2007, 08:29 PM

Whoa, slow down there.

TT certainly does take a back seat to Lombardi & Wolf, who both brought World Championships to Titletown. We're getting a little carried away here.

When we add another SB trophy to the collection we'll talk about comparisons.

Two things. I wasn't intending any comparison to Lombardi. By predecessors, I meant Sherman and Wolf. Also, my comparison was between where the Packers are in Thompson's third year vs. Wolf's third year. Please note I said so far.

cheesner
11-12-2007, 10:18 PM

Odd. I have to explain your own posts to you, but here goes.

"You are BENT even if we win the super bowl!" (dunno what field that came out of)

You were asked what it would take for you to be satisfied with the season. Your response was "When he makes a positive impact on the items I have been talking about for 3 years."

Your post did not mention any level of success for the Packers for you to be happy. Therefore, even if the Packers won the Superbowl, but didn't address your issues, you would still be dissatisfied. I think that explains your attitudes and posts quite a bit. I just don't understand it.

cpk1994
11-13-2007, 12:45 PM
Packertimer has it right. Because Thompson had confidence that the guys on his roster were as good or better than most of the players available in free agency, he was seen as tightwad, a hibernator, or a turtle. Sometimes the best deals are the ones you don't make. San Francisco was supposed to be a big winner in free agency, and they are 2-6. Sometimes free agency works, and sometimes it doesn't. New England appears to have done well, but they were probably the second best team in the league already, so I'm not sure how big a difference there is.

Good example, but why don't we Woody and Merlin a better example. A team that is doing the things they want TT to do. A team Rastak is very familiar with. That right the Minnesota Vikings. A team that has invested $100 Million on one side of the line. A team that paid $2.1 million/yr for a kicker. A team that spents millions on Darren Sharper, Fred Smoot and others on the defense over the last 3 seasons. All these big name free agents. Their record: 3-6. IF TT ran the team The Woody/Merlin way, the Pack would be in cap hell, the team with a 2-14 record and Favre retired because he got tired of the BS. Woody and Merlin should continue to post though. I get a real good laugh at their ignorance. OTOH, when Woody's wet dreams about Randy Moss stop, and when Merlin can't find anyone else on the team to disparage to try and bolster is ever failing anti-TT campaign, maybe then they will rejoin reality.

Tyrone Bigguns
11-13-2007, 01:39 PM

Ding! Ding! Ding!
Another winning post!!!
Applause!!!!!

You like me, you really like me. :oops:

mraynrand
11-13-2007, 02:04 PM
an entire revamp of the defensive line (except for Kampman,)

In case no one else corrected you, it should be noted that the starting D-line Jenkins (Sherman), Williams/Jolly (Sherman/Thompson), Kampman (Sherman), and Pickett (Thompson), as well as depth with KGB (Wolf, resigned by Sherman), Cole, Montgomery, Muir, and Harrell (all fourThompson).

So it's a stretch to give the revamped D-line credit all to Thompson. At least a good deal of it goes to Sherman and then also to the current coaching staff for making the switch to Jenkins at end on obvious run downs and KGB to a role as PRS.

Joemailman
11-13-2007, 05:05 PM
Actually Mraynrand, Cole played in 3 games for the Packers in 2004, so you can credit. him to Sherman too.

son of a vic
11-13-2007, 09:59 PM
an entire revamp of the defensive line (except for Kampman,)

In case no one else corrected you, it should be noted that the starting D-line Jenkins (Sherman), Williams/Jolly (Sherman/Thompson), Kampman (Sherman), and Pickett (Thompson), as well as depth with KGB (Wolf, resigned by Sherman), Cole, Montgomery, Muir, and Harrell (all fourThompson).

So it's a stretch to give the revamped D-line credit all to Thompson. At least a good deal of it goes to Sherman and then also to the current coaching staff for making the switch to Jenkins at end on obvious run downs and KGB to a role as PRS.

You got me, I was a bit overdramatic, I guess my point is that the defense as a whole, has better personel now, than it did when Thompson took over. Cetainly there is no disputing that fact.

Scott Campbell
11-13-2007, 11:44 PM

Man, you are old. Robert Lee played for the South during the Civil War.

Donald Lee is the Packer TE.

mraynrand
11-13-2007, 11:47 PM

With Ulysses Grant emerging, I think the Packers are set at running back.

mraynrand
11-13-2007, 11:48 PM
Actually Mraynrand, Cole played in 3 games for the Packers in 2004, so you can credit. him to Sherman too.

Nice pickup on Cole. I forgot all about that.

superfan
11-14-2007, 12:49 AM
With the writers strike upon us, good thing there are threads like this for great entertainment.

Somebody commented about 4 pages ago that this team is hurting for depth. I beg to differ on that count. Without analyzing every NFL roster in painstaking detail, I would think this team is about average or maybe slightly above. As other posters have stated before on multiple occasions, you can't stock a roster with studs at every roster spot. Every team has some holes. If you have great depth, then you have allocated money to the depth players that could have gone to upgrading the starters.

Remember two years ago, and to a lesser extent last year, when we heard a lot of "NFL Europe" comments describing the depth on this team? Not hearing that anymore.

And a couple comments on Moss:

1) I really wanted the Moss trade to go through on draft weekend. I was very disappointed when it didn't.
2) The production of the WR corps, especially with the addition of Robinson, combined with the record has rendered any angst over not getting Moss moot.
3) We have no idea how Moss would have done this year in Green Bay, either on or off the field. He might have gotten hurt, he might have been a locker room disaster for this young team, he might have 20 TDs after 9 games. We just don't know.

Regardless, best case scenario is that with Moss we have one more win. Worst case scenario is that we have several more losses. Gaining perhaps one more win is not worth the risk of potentially several more losses.

Classic hindsight, but it is what it is. Move on.

3irty1
11-14-2007, 01:38 AM

With Ulysses Grant emerging, I think the Packers are set at running back.

I'm not one to take anything away from anybody.... :rs:

son of a vic
11-14-2007, 09:09 AM

And if that damned Willard Harrell could ever get on the field, Eric Torkelson might be in trouble!

son of a vic
11-24-2007, 06:07 PM
10-1 don't mean jack. When Ted pleases Woody and Merlin that willl be much more rewarding. This Uncle Teddy definately is not "sweaty".

I bet Ted only gets two letters of hate mail a day, but I'm sure he stays awake at night trying to be a "better" GM.

cpk1994
11-25-2007, 10:26 AM
10-1 don't mean jack. When Ted pleases Woody and Merlin that willl be much more rewarding. This Uncle Teddy definately is not "sweaty".

I bet Ted only gets two letters of hate mail a day, but I'm sure he stays awake at night trying to be a "better" GM.

The only way TT will please Merlin and Woody is if he resigns. At this point, TT is probably having more fun laughing and pointing at the ignorance of those two boobs.

retailguy
11-25-2007, 04:26 PM

The only way TT will please Merlin and Woody is if he resigns. At this point, TT is probably having more fun laughing and pointing at the ignorance of those two boobs.

:beat: :pc:

KYPack
11-25-2007, 05:33 PM
RG with the infamous "emoticon only" post.

esoxx
11-25-2007, 05:43 PM
And sov with his infamous bump his own thread post.

packrat
11-25-2007, 05:49 PM
I enjoy Woody and Merlin. With everything going so smoothly for the Packers, it would be almost boring if we couldn't get additional joy from the frustration of those who predicted disaster for the Packers. Watching the two of them grasp at straws is somewhere between pathetic and hilarious--Merlin is even carefully redefining what success means. Now winning the superbowl isn't enough, TT also has to jump through a number of Merlin's other hoops. Are you telling us that it is better to never make the superbowl, so long as TT meets all Merlin's other demands, than to win it if TT doesn't also dance to Merlin's tune? It's hard to believe even Woody would agree with that. I used to spend more time at another forum, but now that all their Sherman Loving, TT hating posters have either seen the light of day or at least aren't beating their chests anymore, the only guys still performing their clown act are over here.

MJZiggy
11-25-2007, 06:36 PM
Glad we could help you out with that...lol

Joemailman
11-25-2007, 08:05 PM

A picture is easier than a thousand words.

Carolina_Packer
11-25-2007, 08:49 PM
The post that will not die!!!! :arrow: The Energizer Bunny of posts. I do like the title.

retailguy
11-25-2007, 09:00 PM

A picture is easier than a thousand words.

:clap: :wink: :twisted:

Merlin
11-26-2007, 08:00 AM
I enjoy Woody and Merlin. With everything going so smoothly for the Packers, it would be almost boring if we couldn't get additional joy from the frustration of those who predicted disaster for the Packers. Watching the two of them grasp at straws is somewhere between pathetic and hilarious--Merlin is even carefully redefining what success means. Now winning the superbowl isn't enough, TT also has to jump through a number of Merlin's other hoops. Are you telling us that it is better to never make the superbowl, so long as TT meets all Merlin's other demands, than to win it if TT doesn't also dance to Merlin's tune? It's hard to believe even Woody would agree with that. I used to spend more time at another forum, but now that all their Sherman Loving, TT hating posters have either seen the light of day or at least aren't beating their chests anymore, the only guys still performing their clown act are over here.

I don't seem to recall predicting disaster for the Packers. Yet again, something made up fueled by speculation and misinterpretation. I put the Packers success or lack there of, squarely where it belongs, on the players and coaches. Thompson has made some very poor personel moves in his tenure but for whatever reason he gets a pass. I was as critical of Sherman as I am Thompson. This board suffers from homerism because we are 10-1 and people just have blinders on. Hell they were bitching about our guard play but it was never attributed to Thompson, you know the guy you have given credit for everything that's good with the Packers? It's ridiculous to even have this conversation with anyone who is so obviously blinded by a 10-1 record.

SkinBasket
11-26-2007, 08:05 AM
I don't seem to recall predicting disaster for the Packers. Yet again, something made up fueled by speculation and misinterpretation. I put the Packers success or lack there of, squarely where it belongs, on the players and coaches. Thompson has made some very poor personel moves in his tenure but for whatever reason he gets a pass. I was as critical of Sherman as I am Thompson. This board suffers from homerism because we are 10-1 and people just have blinders on. Hell they were bitching about our guard play but it was never attributed to Thompson, you know the guy you have given credit for everything that's good with the Packers? It's ridiculous to even have this conversation with anyone who is so obviously blinded by a 10-1 record.

Merlin, you've been down this road before. It doesn't end well.

cheesner
11-26-2007, 09:44 AM

I have a new theory about you. You were very wrong about TT and you know it. You, however, are a very superstitious person, and are attributing Packer success in part to your negativity for TT. Although your statements in this post contradict many of your earlier posts; are blatant lies; and/are a departure from rational thought; you continue to post to maintain the Packer success. Either that or your nurse makes you wear a helmet most of the day.

packers04
11-26-2007, 09:52 AM
blinded by homerism?!? 10 wins..... 1 loss...... Enuf Said Merlin.

packrat
11-26-2007, 10:06 AM
Cheesner, I think you nailed it. The only rational explanation for Merlin's "10-1 does not cut it and it is all TT's fault" hysteria is that his continued knocking of TT is his good luck charm that brings on Packer victories. Keep it up, Merlin, and thanks! I'll not complain again, now that I realize the sacrifice you are making for the team.

Carolina_Packer
11-26-2007, 11:06 AM
I don't seem to recall predicting disaster for the Packers. Yet again, something made up fueled by speculation and misinterpretation.

Scott Campbell, do you have info to the contrary? It's hard to misinterpret the word disaster, but I would think it would mean not expecting much good to happen would also mean disaster.

I put the Packers success or lack there of, squarely where it belongs, on the players and coaches.

So, no matter what Thompson does, it has no bearing on the success or failings of the team? I'm not understanding this point.

Thompson has made some very poor personel moves in his tenure but for whatever reason he gets a pass.

Every GM makes decisions that don't work out. What is your definition of poor personnel moves? Ones that do not agree with your idea of how a team should be built? Is your way the gold standard? If so, then according to you we've blindly lucked into being 10-1, despite Thompson's efforts. Every GM has hits and misses. Every GM has their idea of how to build or rebuild a team and uses their own philosophies to do this. I'd say at 10-1, there's not much to argue about. Does that mean he's done no wrong? Stop asserting that EVERYONE else thinks that Thompson has done NOTHING wrong and that he deserves a free pass. Obviously there are people who disagree with him still, but many of them had the epiphany that perhaps his ideas are working. Thompson can only control what he can control. He finds the talent, and McCarthy develops it. That's the relationship. You can't take ALL the credit or ALL the blame and give it to either the Head Coach or the GM. Success is as much like a chemical reaction as failure is. Bottom line is, everyone shares both failures and success.

I was as critical of Sherman as I am Thompson. This board suffers from homerism because we are 10-1 and people just have blinders on. Hell they were bitching about our guard play but it was never attributed to Thompson, you know the guy you have given credit for everything that's good with the Packers? It's ridiculous to even have this conversation with anyone who is so obviously blinded by a 10-1 record.

Again, you are asserting that the Packers are winning despite the efforts of Ted Thompson. He may not build a team with the same philosophy that you have, but obviously, if his job is to bring football talent to McCarthy and staff, he must not have brought them too bad a talent, unless McCarthy is sitting there complaining that the Packers are succeeding in spite of Thompson's approach. Wouldn't that be more evident if we had guys who were stiffs?

I don't think anyone here, even the most ardent Thompson supporter would say that EVERYTHING he does is what they agree with, but they look at the big picture and the results and like what they see overall, including the record so far this year. You do not luck into a 10-1 record. You cannot explain it all away and say it's Brett Favre and nobody else, because we had Brett Favre when we were struggling in 2005 and part of 2006. Favre needs a supporting cast just like every other QB. It's amazing how much better teams look when they catch the ball and move the chains. What Thompson and McCarthy takes time to build. It's not a light switch, especially when you make yourself the youngest team in the league, but bottom line, they are having success together.

packrat
11-26-2007, 11:18 AM
We've got to lighten up on Merlin. Now that I realize it is his negative posts that are the reason the football God is helping the Pack win with things like Sharper turning a Viking interception into a Packer touchdown, or an opponent calling a timeout that takes away their touchdown, then I also realize the sacrifice Merlin is making by keeping the negative posts up, even though they make him look foolish. How many of us would be willing to make the same sacrifice (Check it out--how many negative posts did Merlin make before the Chicago game, and look what happened.) With Dallas coming up, we need all the negativism that Merlin can muster. Go to it, man.

Carolina_Packer
11-26-2007, 11:55 AM
Like the old Hollies song "King Midas in Reverse" gotcha!

Tarlam!
11-26-2007, 12:05 PM
It's ridiculous to even have this conversation with anyone who is so obviously blinded by a 10-1 record.

If we were 1-10, we'd be flaming the guy Merlin. We'd be calling for his head. Man, can you imagine being a Miami fan?

None of us think TT is Godlike. We have all taken potshots at individual decisions. More than once, we've called into question his sanity.

BUT THE TEAM IS WINNING!

Whether you acknowledge it or not, this is a team put together by TT. He seems to listen to his scouts. He seems to listen to M3, who represents his staff. M3 seems to listen also to his players.

What I as a fan applaud in this TT led regime is that plans are made bottom up, not top down. That is why I am on the bandwagon.

Of course, TT has definitely made mistakes. Everyone here knows that! But despite those mistakes, the team is not the Miami Dolphins.

That's why I'm a Homer, and proud of it.

Tyrone Bigguns
11-26-2007, 02:31 PM
It's ridiculous to even have this conversation with anyone who is so obviously blinded by a 10-1 record.

As it is to have a conversation with someone who is so obviously blinded by a 4-12 and 8-8 record.

son of a vic
01-13-2008, 08:44 PM
I've done worn out my teddy. Woody, do you have an extra one hidden in your closet you could borrow me, until the season ends with a championship?

I'll understand if you decide to keep it. The popularity of the "silver teddy"
will make the beanie baby sensation look like a Burger King kid's meal toy collection.

woodbuck27
01-29-2008, 03:36 PM

Fight! Fight!! Fight!!! FOR YOUR RIGHT Merlin.

SkinBasket
01-29-2008, 03:46 PM
Are you really that bored woody?

woodbuck27
01-29-2008, 04:00 PM
We've got to lighten up on Merlin. Now that I realize it is his negative posts that are the reason the football God is helping the Pack win with things like Sharper turning a Viking interception into a Packer touchdown, or an opponent calling a timeout that takes away their touchdown, then I also realize the sacrifice Merlin is making by keeping the negative posts up, even though they make him look foolish. How many of us would be willing to make the same sacrifice (Check it out--how many negative posts did Merlin make before the Chicago game, and look what happened.) With Dallas coming up, we need all the negativism that Merlin can muster. Go to it, man.

That is what I have a lot of difficulty with.

To classify or infer that any man here is a fool just because he takes a stance opposed to the status quo, and then defends his position with rigor and consistent merit. My hat is off to Merlin and his brave world of telling it as he see's it. Not always trying to be accepted and a follow along. This forum has room for more REBELS like Merlin and I too.

A really close inspection of what TT has actually done, merits the position that Merlin and I stand by also. Sadly it's easier for some here to lower themselves in arrogance; resort to common forms and jabs of ridicule rather than keep an open view.

Where I come from:

It's not over till 'the fat lady sings'. TT has a ways to go there and I'm just hoping he'll be in tune soon. Neither Merlin or I HATE TT, and if Merlin is like me? He doesn't lower himself to that useless and pathetic emotion.

He and I just want to see the GM in training rise up and get there faster. To see really certain signs of that ideal of promise. Granted the age of our team and CAP health is good and holds well for our future, but you've got to see or have the playmakers after all the shouting and the dust clears. It's the playmakers that often carries a team over the top and the little fellas as well.

We need both.

How many playmakers has TT supplied to us compared to all the warm bodies he's placed in TC's and on our rosters? CHECK THAT OUT and Y'all might get that reality check that Merlin and I hope for Y'all.

The bottom line is this:

None of you are more the Packer fan or have higher hopes for our team than Merlin and I. SUCK that one UP!! :)

and this:

PACKERS FOREVER!

PS: Good stuff Merlin.

The Shadow
01-29-2008, 07:59 PM
"......team than Merlin and I. SUCK that one UP!! "

That's a bit more accurate, I believe........

Deputy Nutz
01-29-2008, 08:12 PM

To classify or infer that any man here is a fool just because he takes a stance opposed to the status quo, and then defends his position with rigor and consistent merit. My hat is off to Merlin and his brave world of telling it as he see's it. Not always trying to be accepted and a follow along. This forum has room for more REBELS like Merlin and I too.

A really close inspection of what TT has actually done, merits the position that Merlin and I stand by also. Sadly it's easier for some here to lower themselves in arrogance; resort to common forms and jabs of ridicule rather than keep an open view.

Where I come from:

It's not over till 'the fat lady sings'. TT has a ways to go there and I'm just hoping he'll be in tune soon. Neither Merlin or I HATE TT, and if Merlin is like me? He doesn't lower himself to that useless and pathetic emotion.

He and I just want to see the GM in training rise up and get there faster. To see really certain signs of that ideal of promise. Granted the age of our team and CAP health is good and holds well for our future, but you've got to see or have the playmakers after all the shouting and the dust clears. It's the playmakers that often carries a team over the top and the little fellas as well.

We need both.

How many playmakers has TT supplied to us compared to all the warm bodies he's placed in TC's and on our rosters? CHECK THAT OUT and Y'all might get that reality check that Merlin and I hope for Y'all.

The bottom line is this:

None of you are more the Packer fan or have higher hopes for our team than Merlin and I. SUCK that one UP!! :)

and this:

PACKERS FOREVER!

PS: Good stuff Merlin.

Honestly, it is still too early to start this stuff. Remorse with me if you please, but I can't start or get into this debate quite yet.

cheesner
01-29-2008, 09:57 PM

. . .

Come on, now you are some kind of 'rebel without a cause'?

I gave you the benefit of the doubt on your anti TT tirades, but now you are showing me that you weren't just superstitious.

There are lots of people who go against the flow. It is sometimes the guy who warns of a coming volcano explosion, nobody believes, the volcano blows, and he saves the day - you know, Hollywood style.

Most folks, however, who go against the flow are more of the bigfoot believer type. They ignore conventional wisdom, common sense, and most of the facts to maintain a belief for the sole purpose of going against the grain. Makes them feel special about themselves because they have 'thought it through further' than anyone else. Thus they are right, and everyone else is wrong.

Tyrone Bigguns
01-29-2008, 10:34 PM
"......team than Merlin and I. SUCK that one UP!! "

That's a bit more accurate, I believe........

Took me a bit to get it.

LMAO

Tyrone Bigguns
01-29-2008, 10:36 PM

. . .

Come on, now you are some kind of 'rebel without a cause'?

I gave you the benefit of the doubt on your anti TT tirades, but now you are showing me that you weren't just superstitious.

There are lots of people who go against the flow. It is sometimes the guy who warns of a coming volcano explosion, nobody believes, the volcano blows, and he saves the day - you know, Hollywood style.

Most folks, however, who go against the flow are more of the bigfoot believer type. They ignore conventional wisdom, common sense, and most of the facts to maintain a belief for the sole purpose of going against the grain. Makes them feel special about themselves because they have 'thought it through further' than anyone else. Thus they are right, and everyone else is wrong.

Very eloquent and well put.

My mom put it to me when i was a rebellious high school student.."if you think the sky is red, but everybody else is telling you it is blue..it is best to believe it is blue."

The whole world is telling merlin and woody the sky is blue, but for some reason they think it is red.

Carolina_Packer
01-29-2008, 10:40 PM
Would that be their rose colored glasses causing that? :lol:

Tyrone Bigguns
01-30-2008, 08:33 PM

Doubtful.

Prolly bloodshot eyes. :lol:

woodbuck27
01-30-2008, 11:44 PM

Doubtful.