PDA

View Full Version : Biggest Surprise This Season?

Partial
11-05-2007, 12:26 PM
What has been the most surprising player/aspect of the Packers this year?

I would have to say KGB's effectiveness on passing downs. He looks better than ever in this role! I think he'll end up with about 13-14 sacks on the year.

GBRulz
11-05-2007, 12:30 PM
I'd have to say the emergence of Donald Lee. so nice to see the TE's, or should I say TE involved in the offense.

the guy has really stepped up his game this year.

HarveyWallbangers
11-05-2007, 12:33 PM
Donald Lee, Johnny Jolly, and Atari Bigby (for the most part) have been the biggest surprises to me.

Brohm
11-05-2007, 12:34 PM
I have to agree about Donald Lee. Hell, it could be said about the TE position as a whole. Bubba was doing well before his injury.

I thought KGB was being overworked as a starter given his size. Given his work ethic, I figured/hoped he would bounce back.

4and12to12and4
11-05-2007, 01:29 PM
Donald Lee, Johnny Jolly, and James Jones.

Joemailman
11-05-2007, 01:35 PM
Donald Lee has a shot at the Pro Bowl. :shock:

4and12to12and4
11-05-2007, 01:36 PM
Actually Favre. If you would've told me that our running game would be averaging 50some yards a game, I would have assumed that Favre would've tried too much and thrown shitloads of pics, and because of that, we'd win 4 or 5 games. I assumed going into this year that the offensive line was going to be much better with a year under their belt, and give Favre a running game and time to throw. Favre is still winning games without any of that. He is probably the biggest suprise, his patience and accuracy this year. His numbers, other than touchdown passes are right up there with Brady and Manning. Completions, yards, even his QB rating is back up to where it was in the mid nineties.

3irty1
11-05-2007, 01:36 PM
Atari Bigby or James Jones

4and12to12and4
11-05-2007, 01:39 PM
Atari is a suprise in that he won the starting spot, but he has played very mediocre. He's responsible for a lot of 1st downs, he is staying with his guy, so he's not blowing coverages, which is great, considering he's a rookie, but, Chuck and Al need to teach him a few things.

HarveyWallbangers
11-05-2007, 01:44 PM
Atari is a suprise in that he won the starting spot, but he has played very mediocre. He's responsible for a lot of 1st downs, he is staying with his guy, so he's not blowing coverages, which is great, considering he's a rookie, but, Chuck and Al need to teach him a few things.

Atari played good ball for the first 6 weeks. He's had some struggles the last 2 games, but overall you'd have to give him a pretty good grade.

hoosier
11-05-2007, 01:58 PM
Biggest positive suprises: Favre playing under control for the most part but still able to make big plays when needed. High productivity and good health from top three WRs, including a rookie third rounder.

Biggest negative surprise: Colledge's failure to progress or even regression.

Badgepack
11-05-2007, 02:05 PM
Greg Jennings, no sophmore slump, came back strong from nagging injuries, now our top playmaker.

pbmax
11-05-2007, 02:19 PM
1. Defense getting off the field on 3rd down. Its like watching someone else's defense every week. Exception noted below.

2. Favre. A poster at footballoutsiders.com claims Favre is a QB idiot savant and must have someone ride herd over his worst tendencies, and that guy is McCarthy.

But I remember the story of Sherman and Rossely forcing Favre to watch tape of the INTs and having Bradshaw throw a fit on a pregame show that this was no way to treat a veteran of Favre's stature. So I give little credence to McCarthy's sideline demonstrations, "hold him accoutable" story lines or ask him to be a game manager explanations.

I think Favre is as surprised as we are that this team is playing this well. But a competitive team that can come back on an opponent, and one that is winning games keeps HIM in the game. With his defense playing like it is, he spends less time this season playing from behind. There are few points where he can justify reaching back and uncorking a whopper because he is in each game.

So we have the throws like the end of the Chief's first half throw that might have been better just to fall down on. But we don't have the six interceptions in a game Favre like we did against the Greatest Show on Turf in the playoffs; where they were clearly overmatched.

3. Defensive penalties that give them first downs are slowly killing me. I expect an increase with Bump and Run and Press Coverage playing CB, but three shots at a two point conversion? C'mon guys, take an ammonia capsule!

The Leaper
11-05-2007, 02:34 PM
Our play on the road has been a surprise to me. 6 straight road wins is impressive. For a young team like this to be as good as they are in a hostile environment speaks to how well the coaching staff prepares these kids.

HarveyWallbangers
11-05-2007, 02:39 PM
So we have the throws like the end of the Chief's first half throw that might have been better just to fall down on. But we don't have the six interceptions in a game Favre like we did against the Greatest Show on Turf in the playoffs; where they were clearly overmatched.

I think this is a bad example, and I hate when it's brought up. Favre threw an interception early--because Bill Schroeder ran the wrong route. He had a bad second interception in the second quarter, so he's to blame for that one. The third interception was tipped at the line of scrimmage. Then, he three three more in the 4th quarter after St. Louis had taken a 38-10 lead. Big friggin' deal. I wish he hadn't thrown those, so we wouldn't have to hear about it. He's the type that isn't going to worry about stats (good or bad), so instead of padding his stats and losing 38-13, he tried to bring the team back. In fact, I think it's one of the qualities that I admire the most about him.

Favre knew things weren't going his way when he came to the line of scrimmage with 9 minutes 18 seconds left in the first quarter and had the option of calling a running play or a passing play. When he saw Herring come up from his deep position to play the run, he went with the pass and threw a quick hitch to Bill Schroeder.

To his surprise, however, Schroeder ran a go route and the ball hit Williams right in the chest. Before anyone had a chance to react, the veteran Rams cornerback was in the end zone.

His third interception was tipped at the line of scrimmage and linebacker Tommy Polley returned it 34 yards for a touchdown to make the score 38-10.

oregonpackfan
11-05-2007, 02:56 PM
Actually Favre. If you would've told me that our running game would be averaging 50some yards a game, I would have assumed that Favre would've tried too much and thrown shitloads of pics, and because of that, we'd win 4 or 5 games. I assumed going into this year that the offensive line was going to be much better with a year under their belt, and give Favre a running game and time to throw. Favre is still winning games without any of that. He is probably the biggest suprise, his patience and accuracy this year. His numbers, other than touchdown passes are right up there with Brady and Manning. Completions, yards, even his QB rating is back up to where it was in the mid nineties.

What he said...

Also, Favre has demonstrated the past two games he still has the arm strength to throw the bomb.

Deputy Nutz
11-05-2007, 03:14 PM
I was suprised that Atari Bigby was becoming decent starting quality safety and then reality smacked us all in the face. Bottom line, teams have realized that he can't cover his responsibilities when he is deep, when he has underneath coverage he is ok.

Deputy Nutz
11-05-2007, 03:15 PM
Oops, biggest surprise, FAVRE.

Carolina_Packer
11-05-2007, 03:19 PM
Biggest surprise is our results and resiliency. What a team! Keep it going guys! This is a fun ride, but there's still a long way to go.

pbmax
11-05-2007, 05:12 PM
OK Harv, but even by your reckoning, he had four INTs that were on his shoulders. We were behind the almost the entire game and things looked dismal from the second quarter on. This is the kind of game I expect to see him implode in.

During the 4-12 year, the distressing trend was the inexplicable throw while down only one score in the second half.

What these things have in common is a sense of hope lost on the teams' part. I am not trying to read his mind, but results can be disastrous when Favre concludes that nothing short of a miracle can save the win.

His defense and his receivers give him the confidence that miracles are not needed. This, I think, his level of confidence in his teammates, is the difference. Not McCarthy.

HarveyWallbangers
11-05-2007, 05:14 PM
OK Harv, but even by your reckoning, he had four INTs that were on his shoulders.

Right. Three of them in the 4th quarter after we had fallen behind 38-10. What did you want him to do... hand the ball off?

Rastak
11-05-2007, 05:31 PM
OK Harv, but even by your reckoning, he had four INTs that were on his shoulders.

Right. Three of them in the 4th quarter after we had fallen behind 38-10. What did you want him to do... hand the ball off?

Throw it to the guys with the "G"s on the helmet?

I admit he was at the disadvantage though. I'd agree generally with you.

gbgary
11-05-2007, 06:56 PM
to me the biggest surprise has been the team's success without having a decent running game. think how much pressure would be taken off the passing game if we just had a mediocre running attack.