PDA

View Full Version : I Was Wrong About Derek Anderson.

oregonpackfan
11-05-2007, 05:47 PM
When Derek Anderson was being considered as a pro prospect, I thought there was no way he could make it as a pro.

I first saw him play when he was a high school senior. His undefeated, Scappoose, Oregon team played the undefeated high school of my town. Though our coach used all kinds of coverages and bliztes during the game, Anderson shredded our secondary for over 300 passing yards and the win!

Anderson went down the highway to college at Oregon State. He became a starter during his sophomore year. At 6'6" and 235 lbs, he had excellent height and size. Furthermore, he had a strong arm and was a very accurate passer.

His main drawback was his immobility. He was slow of foot and could not evade the blitz. As a kid, he wore size 17 shoes by the time he was 10! Opposing teams quickly learned the most effective way to corral Anderson was to send in their linebackers and an occassional safety to blitz. Anderson usually either had to throw the ball away or be sacked.

In addition, Anderson had a tendency to focus in on his primary receiver rather than switch to a secondary receiver.

Because of his poor running skills, I did not think Anderson had much of a chance to make it in the NFL.

Baltimore drafted him in the 6th round. He was cut that September. Cleveland picked him up and he sat on the bench for most of his first 2 years in the pros.

This year, Anderson beat out Charlie Frye as well as draftee Brady Quinn for the starting job. He has exceeded all expectations, especially mine! In addition, Anderson has actually ran for a couple of touchdowns! Maybe he hired some form of speed coach to improve his running ability.

The time may come in the future where the Browns believe they have to start Quinn because of his enormous contract. If Anderson chooses to become a Free Agent, would you want TT to sign him?

Rastak
11-05-2007, 05:49 PM
When Derek Anderson was being considered as a pro prospect, I thought there was no way he could make it as a pro.

I first saw him play when he was a high school senior. His undefeated, Scappoose, Oregon team played the undefeated high school of my town. Though our coach used all kinds of coverages and bliztes during the game, Anderson shredded our secondary for over 300 passing yards and the win!

Anderson went down the highway to college at Oregon State. He became a starter during his sophomore year. At 6'6" and 235 lbs, he had excellent height and size. Furthermore, he had a strong arm and was a very accurate passer.

His main drawback was his immobility. He was slow of foot and could not evade the blitz. As a kid, he wore size 17 shoes by the time he was 10! Opposing teams quickly learned the most effective way to corral Anderson was to send in their linebackers and an occassional safety to blitz. Anderson usually either had to throw the ball away or be sacked.

In addition, Anderson had a tendency to focus in on his primary receiver rather than switch to a secondary receiver.

Because of his poor running skills, I did not think Anderson had much of a chance to make it in the NFL.

Baltimore drafted him in the 6th round. He was cut that September. Cleveland picked him up and he sat on the bench for most of his first 2 years in the pros.

This year, Anderson beat out Charlie Frye as well as draftee Brady Quinn for the starting job. He has exceeded all expectations, especially mine! In addition, Anderson has actually ran for a couple of touchdowns! Maybe he hired some form of speed coach to improve his running ability.

The time may come in the future where the Browns believe they have to start Quinn because of his enormous contract. If Anderson chooses to become a Free Agent, would you want TT to sign him?

No, I'd like Speilman to sign him. :)

3irty1
11-05-2007, 06:46 PM
Its hard to say anything bad about the guy. He's this years Tony Romo. If I were the Browns I'd find a way to keep him!

Rastak
11-05-2007, 06:53 PM
Its hard to say anything bad about the guy. He's this years Tony Romo. If I were the Browns I'd find a way to keep him!

But they payed a big price for Quinn. What to do what to do?

I'd try and keep him for at least one more year....to see what they have in Quinn....

HarveyWallbangers
11-05-2007, 07:20 PM
He's an RFA, so I expect the Browns to keep him one more year--unless they can get a king's ransom. They have nice young talent. I wouldn't be surprised if they became one of the best teams in the league by next year.

GBRulz
11-05-2007, 07:22 PM
Nice to see him having a good year. In a way, he can thank Brady Quinn for holding out and getting into camp late, which IMO cost Quinn the starting job and allowing Anderson to showcase his talent.

Scott Campbell
11-05-2007, 10:36 PM

I'd try and keep him for at least one more year....to see what they have in Quinn....

This is a rerun of the Drew Brees/Phillip Rivers qb controversy in San Diego. I'm guessing that it gets resolved in much the same manner.

RashanGary
11-05-2007, 10:41 PM

Defense mechanism? Sounds like a fan; desperate for a QB, not wanting to get his hopes up :) :)

Rastak
11-06-2007, 06:23 AM

Defense mechanism? Sounds like a fan; desperate for a QB, not wanting to get his hopes up :) :)

Actually it sounds like a realistic view of the situation. Earlier in the year I thought they might get rid of him next year to make room for Quinn but now it seems to me they'll probably keep both as insurance. Isn't that what you'd do?

Zool
11-06-2007, 08:28 AM

Actually it sounds like a realistic view of the situation. Earlier in the year I thought they might get rid of him next year to make room for Quinn but now it seems to me they'll probably keep both as insurance. Isn't that what you'd do?

I was really surprised when they gave up on Frye so easily, but I guess thats why I'm not a GM.

It cant really hurt that he's throwing to Edwards and Winslow either. He's a RFA so Cleveland will probably put the high tender on him meaning any team that signs him has to give up a 1st and 3rd. A trade is more likely if they want Quinn starting, but that would start a revolt if Cleveland makes the playoffs.

The Leaper
11-06-2007, 08:32 AM

Not really...at least not as far as the cap goes. Aaron Rodgers, picked roughly in the same area, doesn't really cost us that much.

The loss of a draft pick is a concern, but that is a sunk cost at this point. You were trying to get a good QB...and now you've got one. The Browns need to hang on to Anderson, and having Quinn as insurance probably isn't a bad idea. Anderson could be Romo...or he could be Scott Mitchell. No one knows for sure at this point. If Anderson proves himself over the course of the next season and a half, they can look to trade Quinn after 2008.

run pMc
11-06-2007, 09:08 AM
Having two (potentially) good QB's is a nice luxury.

Unless someone makes a killer offer, CLE will keep Anderson and try to figure out what they have in Quinn.
Assuming he hasn't been stinking it up, I could see Quinn go head-to-head vs. Anderson in TC next year for the starting job. If Anderson wins, they let Quinn watch and learn. If Quinn wins that job, I don't know that they'd want to let Anderson walk as a UFA, so a trade would happen. What to do after that though?
How would Anderson take riding the pine after having success as a starter?
Would you trade Anderson for a lowball offer (like a R4 pick)?
Would you try to sign Anderson to an extension (and tie up a lot of cap space to 2 QB's)?

I don't think CLE will give up on Quinn before the end of next season...consider TT and A-Rod's 1st two pre-seasons.

Rastak
11-06-2007, 09:48 AM

Not really...at least not as far as the cap goes. Aaron Rodgers, picked roughly in the same area, doesn't really cost us that much.

The loss of a draft pick is a concern, but that is a sunk cost at this point. You were trying to get a good QB...and now you've got one. The Browns need to hang on to Anderson, and having Quinn as insurance probably isn't a bad idea. Anderson could be Romo...or he could be Scott Mitchell. No one knows for sure at this point. If Anderson proves himself over the course of the next season and a half, they can look to trade Quinn after 2008.

The big price was trading next years #1, not the money.

The Leaper
11-06-2007, 09:59 AM
The big price was trading next years #1, not the money.

Quinn still holds value. You might not get a 1st round pick out of him, but it isn't like they are out a first round pick with nothing in return. The current woes at QB around the league (and lack of any mega-star talents in college right now) mean that Quinn's value likely will remain rather high if they feel the need to move him.

LL2
11-06-2007, 09:59 AM
They'd be smart to keep him one more year, but the Browns are not in the same boat as the Chargers. Rivers was a top 5 pick and had too much money in both QB's, fortunately for them Rivers turned out pretty good. Anderson could make Quinn a long term backup like Rodgers.

Guiness
11-06-2007, 10:18 AM
He's an RFA, so I expect the Browns to keep him one more year--unless they can get a king's ransom. They have nice young talent. I wouldn't be surprised if they became one of the best teams in the league by next year.

I'm thinking the same. I'm sure they'll be watching real closely to see how he does his second pass through the league - when teams have film on him. The slow footedness OPF mentioned may come home to roost.

Remember Holocomb? He lit it up for a while, but something went wrong.

Cheesehead Craig
11-06-2007, 10:40 AM
I know the Vikes fans here in the Twin Cities are drooling over the possibility of getting him.

Rastak
11-06-2007, 11:51 AM
I know the Vikes fans here in the Twin Cities are drooling over the possibility of getting him.

I'm not drooling. Ever heard of Scott Mitchell? He'd have to do it for more than one year to cough up a 1 and a 3.

Besides, like I said, why would they get rid of him?

Merlin
11-06-2007, 12:22 PM
I think a lot of us were way off with Derek Anderson. Hey, sometimes it happens. It happened with a guy named Favre. If you think I deserve to be strung out for criticizing Thompson then you will definitely want to string me out for my criticism of Wolf for trading a #1 pick for some country boy named Favre. I was so pissed off, I couldn't believe we wasted a #1 pick on the guy. We of course had the "Majik" man, but he turned into a wimpass by demanding more money then promptly getting injured. I didn't warm up to him until the end of the 1992 season. Then it clicked for me that we had someone special in him.

It's nice to know there are people out there that can admit they were wrong and go on in life.

Cheesehead Craig
11-06-2007, 01:39 PM

I'm not drooling. Ever heard of Scott Mitchell? He'd have to do it for more than one year to cough up a 1 and a 3.

For a 1 and a 3. If they can get that for a potential 1 yr wonder, when they have Quinn ready to fill in, why wouldn't they?

Partial
11-06-2007, 01:52 PM
I think he's overrated. He's got a pretty darn good receiving corps w/ two studs in Edwards and Winslow.

esoxx
11-06-2007, 05:13 PM
And wrong about Haloti Ngata. :twisted:

:wink:

Rastak
11-06-2007, 05:38 PM

For a 1 and a 3. If they can get that for a potential 1 yr wonder, when they have Quinn ready to fill in, why wouldn't they?

Oh yea, I agree from the Browns side. If they max tender him and someone tries to sign him, I'd be happy if I were the Browns. I don't think anyone will do it and I'd not just give him away.
My point was to tender him high and then when nobody bites, keep him for one more year.

MadtownPacker
11-06-2007, 06:38 PM
Hadn't read this thread yet but when I saw the title I figured OPF had forbid his daughter to date Anderson! :lol:

oregonpackfan
11-06-2007, 08:55 PM
And wrong about Haloti Ngata. :twisted:

:wink:

Not exactly. If you research threads in which I gave my views about Ngata, I did not think he merited a top 5 choice in the first round like some posters wanted.

He is starting for the Ravens but he is hardly performing at the all-pro level from what I understand.

If you recall, while he was a lineman at UO, he admitted to "Taking off some plays." Some NFL scouts told him he would be expected to put out 100% effort on every play when he was in the pros.

Will he become an all-pro? It is too early to determine, IMO.

Cheesehead Craig
11-06-2007, 08:56 PM
My point was to tender him high and then when nobody bites, keep him for one more year.
Agree 100% on that Rastak.

oregonpackfan
11-06-2007, 08:58 PM
Hadn't read this thread yet but when I saw the title I figured OPF had forbid his daughter to date Anderson! :lol:

:lol: You are a character, Madtown! :)

Actually, from what I have read about him in the local papers, he is a well-respected young professional who is well grounded. When he played for Oregon State, he displayed a good work ethic and was very coachable.

MJZiggy
11-06-2007, 08:59 PM
Just what you need in a son-in-law. Coachable. 8-)