PDA

View Full Version : LEROY BUTLER'S PACKERS vs CHIEF Q&A

Bretsky
11-05-2007, 09:54 PM
Week 8: LeRoy Butler analyzes Packers-Chiefs game
Posted: Nov. 5, 2007

LeRoy Butler
5 Questions

Former Packers all-pro safety LeRoy Butler teams up with Journal Sentinel beat writer Tom Silverstein in our "Questions with LeRoy Butler" feature. Following is the Q&A after Sunday's 33-22 victory over Kansas City.

Q. Charles Woodson has been getting a lot of coverage penalties lately and by his own admission has been holding receivers. Is he playing with fire by holding so often?

A. I think it's part of his game to frustrate the receivers. I think he does a good job of it because the receivers are getting frustrated because they can't separate. I used to do a little bit of grabbing myself. You don't want to give a first down so many times. If receivers always know they're going to have contact it kind of gets in their head a little bit. To know you can impede a receiver's progress, as a defensive back you're winning. I know everyone wants scores like Kansas and Nebraska in the NFL, but you have to make sure you slow down these receivers or they'll just run free all day with the protection of the referees. Charles is trying to be professional about it and show them they're in for a long day. The interference call they had on him was a dumb call. It was the worst call of the game. The guy was looking for the ball and you can't really touch the guy without them throwing a flag.
Advertisement

Buy a link here

Q: It looks like safety Nick Collins is going to be out for a couple of weeks and the Packers are going to have to start 6-4, 223-pound Aaron Rouse. Based on what you saw Sunday and his physical attributes, what do you think they have in him?

A. Seeing how they have Adrian Peterson this week, it would be good to have another big body in there. To play these eight-man fronts because you're going to see the best young running back in decades, so this is the ideal game for him. But I think the fans are going to have to be patient and understand that he's a young guy and has to go through a growing process. I'm hopeful he can turn things around. With his wing span a lot of quarterbacks can't fit balls in to tight ends and maybe he'll be a good match-up for some big, tall tight ends, especially down the road when they play Jason Witten of the Dallas Cowboys. There's a guy 6-5, 250 who runs pretty good. Rouse would match up pretty good with a guy like that. But he's going to get picked on all the time, that's why when they catch a ball on him I want the fans to be patient because he has to go through that to learn.

Q. Compare Minnesota Vikings running back Adrian Peterson to some of the backs you have seen. And how do you stop him?

A. He's identical to Eric Dickerson, straight up running style, very, very fast and very physical. You stop him by, instead of a traditional 4-3 defense, four linemen and three linebackers, you put a linebacker on the line and slide the linemen over so you have five guys on the line, two linebackers, and then you bring your strong safety down to make the third guy behind the line. So it's like a 5-3 front. The linebacker would be right over the tight end. You put Brady Poppinga over the tight end, you move Kampman down over the tackle, and you move Pickett and Jolly over the two guards, and you put Cullen Jenkins over the tackle on the other side. And you bring down the strong safety to the open side of the field. And you move to it. You don't just line up to it, you disguise it so the quarterback won't pick out which hole he can audible to. When the quarterback gets into his cadence, with about 15 seconds left on the play clock, you start to move and start getting yourself lined up. That would definitely stop it. But everybody has to understand gap control. You do it on first and 10, second and 5, things of that nature. Third and 3. It's all a guessing game, but you can rest assured he'll get the ball more than the first time the Packers played against him. He'll be getting it 30 times. He's a special, special back. I would dare - and I stress dare - Minnesota to throw the ball on me. I would lock my two cornerbacks up and tell both of my safeties you're going to come up a little bit, 8 to 10 yards and be very aggressive.

Q. Do you think that left guard Daryn Colledge has become a liability and should the Packers consider starting someone else?

A. No, I think you let the guy learn. You have to let him learn, let him get coached through it because every player goes through it. I just feel like you just can't pull a guy after one or two games. You have to let a guy feel his way through. He's going to be a good player, but he has to understand where his help is and when he doesn't have help and understand that you can always cut a guy if he makes a move on you. Just keep working.

Q. How do you think the Packers would do if they played the Patriots right now?

A. I think the Patriots would win the game because they're very good on the perimeter, they run the ball well, their quarterback has very good progression and they can throw the ball down the field, down the middle where the Packers aren't very good, down the middle with deep passes. They have to get more experienced at that. The Patriots love to throw deep so you'll see a lot of deep balls. But it could a shootout game, it could be one of those 59-48 games because with Brett and those young receivers they can score at will. So can New England. The Packers can score on any defense. They can score whenever they get ready. The end of the first half was a little mismanaged, but it also showed the resiliency of this team to go from 6-up to a point down, they still went out and took the game over.

Q. Why aren't you coaching? - David Aman, Cary, NC

A. Well, first of all there are no spots available. Really, thanks for the question, but maybe in the future. I really feel like I can help a young player get to that next level. And maybe one day in the future I'll be able to do it. I think about it every day, there's a lot of knowledge I'd like to share with players. But at the same time I have to wait for the right opportunities.

Iron Mike
11-06-2007, 08:04 AM
Week 8: LeRoy Butler analyzes Packers-Chiefs game
Posted: Nov. 5, 2007

LeRoy Butler
5 Questions

Former Packers all-pro safety LeRoy Butler teams up with Journal Sentinel beat writer Tom Silverstein in our "Questions with LeRoy Butler" feature. Following is the Q&A after Sunday's 33-22 victory over Kansas City.

Q. Why aren't you coaching? - David Aman, Cary, NC

Amen. He would be a definite upgrade over Schottenheimer. :P

HarveyWallbangers
11-13-2007, 01:31 AM
Week 9: LeRoy Butler analyzes Packers-Vikings game

Former Packers all-pro safety LeRoy Butler teams up with Journal Sentinel beat writer Tom Silverstein in our "Questions with LeRoy Butler" feature. Following is the Q&A after Sunday's 34-0 victory over Minnesota.

Q: How does the Packers' defensive line of 2007 compare with the defensive line of the two Super Bowl teams when you were playing?

A. The defensive line we had in '96 and '97 was legendary. I think the overall depth of this year's team is comparable. They go seven deep and the old team could only go five, maybe six. This team can go as deep as it wants. Justin Harrell hasn't even scratched the surface yet. That's another potential player right there. I wouldn't get into who's better, but this group as a whole is probably one of the better ones you've seen depth-wise. When Corey Williams got hurt you were able to put another guy in there. I'm not sure if Reggie or Sean Jones had gotten hurt we would have been able to put a guy with the same impact in there.

Q: The Packers went with a number of five-receiver formations against the Vikings Sunday. What's the danger with doing that and can you do it every week?

A: The reason why they went to five wides was because cornerback Antoine Winfield was de-activated because of a hamstring injury. By putting five wides out there you're making some guy cover that normally wouldn't. That lets me know Mike McCarthy is paying attention to detail. Because the strength of the offense is Brett Favre, obviously, but these receivers can cause match-up problems. So they brought Ruvell Martin in and look what happened, he caught a couple of touchdowns. They're going to continue to do that. But what happens is you don't have a guy in the backfield to pick up a blitzer, so you may get some free blitzers from the outside. You have to also know that when the linemen pick up guys they're going to block, they tell Brett that he has a guy. He has to figure out which guy will be blizing. Once they figure that out the ball comes out before that guy can get there. If you're playing New England, they have a three-man front and they can bring six anytime, so there's always going to be an unblocked guy. So you have to figure out who that's going to be. It's a guessing game. Whenever you have a three-man line, you have eight guys in coverage, but you potentially can bring five or six at any time. You can go all man-to-man and blitz six. Or you can rotate coverages and go Cover 2 and blitz a cornerback and rotate a safety over there. That's why the Patriots are very good. They're very complicated and hard to figure out.

Q. Ryan Grant seems to be a good fit for what the Packers are doing. The rest of the league is still figuring out who he is and doesn't have a feel for him yet. What are some of the things he's going to face as time goes on and defenses get a feel for what he does best?

A. It won't be as easy it was for him. Teams will start to key on him in certain situations and also they'll try to limit his access on free runs. But how McCarthy can help him and continue to help him is the same run formations he runs the ball out of, those are the same formations he throws out of. The Packers they chart their own tendencies real well. They (opponents) will say when they're in I-back they're running to the right. Well, Brett will go back and audible and run the ball right, but he'll pull the ball and throw it deep. Teams can't just key on, when Grant's in there they're going to run the ball. The plays they're running are perimeter plays and that's what he's very good at. He's been showing pretty good athletic ability. The guy breaks a lot of tackles. Pretty soon they're going to rotate a safety down for an eight-man front because that's what the Packers want, man-to-man on their outside receivers, although 85 (Greg Jennings) has to hang onto the ball. I'm a little bit worried about his drops right now.

Q. If you were nitpicking, what would be the one area could be the Packers' Achilles' heel in terms of getting to the Super Bowl.

A. I think their Achilles' heel is perimeter play and passes over 15 yards. Obviously, covering the tight end man-to-man has been a problem. Teams who seem to attack the Packers down the middle of the field have been having success. It's always a situation where if a team comes out in five wide receivers and uses shifts and motion, it confuses them. They seem to be able to get the match-up they want. They can get a running back on a linebacker or they can get a tight end on a safety and feel like that's the match-up they want. The Packers will see more five wides when they see Dallas and Detroit. They'll see a lot of four wides and power running formations. The one thing as I sit here now I worry about is tight ends being able to hurt them. Jason Witten of the Cowboys is one of the better tight ends in the NFL, so you have to figure out a way to stop him.

Q. You've played on Thanksgiving Day. Which is the hardest part about that, the week before and trying not to think about when you have another game to play or the short week leading up to the game? How does your body feel after just a couple of days rest?

A. I was always excited about the Thanksgiving Day game because it gives you a long weekend. Now with the Dallas game afterward you only have seven days between games. But I would feel comfortable with that. You play Thursday and you're off Friday, you can bring the guys in on Sunday to watch the film on Dallas and get right into the game plan. The coaches have the game plan ready on Friday. The guys who really want to get a jump on Dallas they can start right away. I don' think it's that hard to get ready for the Thanksgiving game. I think guys know they need this stretch. The guys love playing these kind of games. The practice schedule can get long, but the way the Packers practice now, keeping guys fresh, is key. You're traveling on Wednesday, so it's one of those things where I rather do that and get ready for Dallas than just doing a normal work week. Plus, if I was a guy playing on Thanksgiving, I would love it because I'd love to show America we're a real 8-1 team. Getting excited about that will get you through the soreness.

Reader Question

Q: Please compare the linebackers now to the ones you played with? As a group, who would you take? - Jerry Curtin, Beverly Hills Ca.

A: I would take the linebackers from '96 and here's why. Wayne Simmons was way more physical. Brian Williams was fast, smart and tough. And George Koonce or Bernardo Harris, they take on the lead back better than anybody. I just think the '96 and '97 group, even with Ron Cox, was one of the smartest groups I was around. I think the group now is a lot faster and a lot more athletic. But the group in '96 and '97, they protected me my whole career so I could be a free hitter up there. Wayne took care of the tight end and Bernardo and Koonce took care of the fullback. All I had to do was make tackles. But I'd love to play with Nick Barnett and A.J. Hawk. I would have traded a guy to play with those two guys. Even Brady Poppinga, I like him too. Barnett and Hawk are Pro Bowlers. For the next 10 years, they should be great players. Barnett is a man amongst boys and Hawk is coming into his own.

Harlan Huckleby
11-13-2007, 01:36 AM
Q. Charles Woodson has been getting a lot of coverage penalties lately and by his own admission has been holding receivers. Is he playing with fire by holding so often?

A. I think it's part of his game to frustrate the receivers. I think he does a good job of it because the receivers are getting frustrated because they can't separate.

Watch the punt returns, it's obvious that Woodson is no longer a speedster.

Woodson & Harris have no choice but to play a physical style.

And they get away with it because the defensive line (and blitzes) are getting adequate pressure. Maybe the diminished speed at corner is why Butler says the Pack are vulnerable to the deep ball.

HarveyWallbangers
11-13-2007, 01:46 AM
Woodson & Harris have no choice but to play a physical style.

And they get away with it because the defensive line (and blitzes) are getting adequate pressure. Maybe the diminished speed at corner is why Butler says the Pack are vulnerable to the deep ball.

Two very good corners. I'd rather have that then a 4.35 guy that can't cover.

Harlan Huckleby
11-13-2007, 01:54 AM
Ahmad Caroll is gone. Get over it. :D

Iron Mike
11-13-2007, 07:24 AM
Q: Please compare the linebackers now to the ones you played with? As a group, who would you take? - Jerry Curtin, Beverly Hills Ca.

A: I would take the linebackers from '96 and here's why. Wayne Simmons was way more physical. Brian Williams was fast, smart and tough. And George Koonce or Bernardo Harris, they take on the lead back better than anybody. I just think the '96 and '97 group, even with Ron Cox, was one of the smartest groups I was around. I think the group now is a lot faster and a lot more athletic. But the group in '96 and '97, they protected me my whole career so I could be a free hitter up there. Wayne took care of the tight end and Bernardo and Koonce took care of the fullback. All I had to do was make tackles. But I'd love to play with Nick Barnett and A.J. Hawk. I would have traded a guy to play with those two guys. Even Brady Poppinga, I like him too. Barnett and Hawk are Pro Bowlers. For the next 10 years, they should be great players. Barnett is a man amongst boys and Hawk is coming into his own.

Has he already traded his left nut???? :wink: