PDA

View Full Version : Pack favored by 6.5 over Vikes

GrnBay007
11-05-2007, 09:54 PM
7-1. 8 games so far and were the Packers favored more than once? I can't remember. Anyway....I hope they have a plan to contain AP!!

GO PACK!!!!!

Charles Woodson
11-05-2007, 09:57 PM
7-1. 8 games so far and were the Packers favored more than once? I can't remember. Anyway....I hope they have a plan to contain AP!!

GO PACK!!!!!

11 in the box

Bretsky
11-05-2007, 10:03 PM

GO PACK!!!!!

A couple weeks ago I had planned to take GB this week in the survival pool; after seeing AP I'm not so sure anymore

MadScientist
11-05-2007, 11:51 PM
That's a lot of points given how non-dominating the Packers wins have been, and how incredible AP was last week.

Unfortunately Chilly has figured out what everyone else had figured out weeks ago. The Queens best bet is to just keep feeding the ball to AP until he or the defense drops.

Hopefully the track at Lambeau will be slower, but with conditions good for passing.

FritzDontBlitz
11-06-2007, 01:40 AM
The Pack will contain him again. Childress better teach his QB how to run a play action pass....

Guiness
11-06-2007, 04:31 AM
6.5 - that is a lot, and unwarranted I think, considering two things:

1. The strength of their running game - AP is going to eat a lot of clock, keeping our O off the field.

2. We haven't beat anybody by that much, really. The final score at KC was not indicative of the game.

Minnesota worries me a bit because of the way LJ was running against us just before he got hurt. I think the outcome of the game could well have been different if he hadn't gone down. I think AP is certainly in the same class as LJ at this point...I'm just not sure how Huard and 'this spot for rent' (as Ras put it) compare.

Certainly I think we'll have 8 in the box almost the whole game. This worries me a bit more than it did last week, because it will be Rouse back there helping our CB's, instead of Collins. Hopefully the kid steps up. Atari should be good playing up on or near the line.

CaliforniaCheez
11-06-2007, 05:47 AM
The point spread is set by the number of bettors.

Those running the wagering know few people bet on the vikings(would you in any of their games).

They have to set the line high enough to attract fools to bet on the indoor arena team.

Kiwon
11-06-2007, 07:56 AM
This is going to be a good game, a real challenge for the Packers linebackers and young safeties. Hopefully the Packers can get out to a decent lead and force the Vikes to throw the ball.

AP is scary. An amazing talent.

LL2
11-06-2007, 09:03 AM
This game makes me nervous, because the Pack tend to split games with the Lions and Vikings. AP being hot makes me nervous too! The Packers need to keep pace with the Cowboys and keep their one game lead over the Lions.

Cheesehead Craig
11-06-2007, 10:43 AM
No way we should be 6.5 pt favorites. Not even close.

BF4MVP
11-06-2007, 11:04 AM

GO PACK!!!!!

A couple weeks ago I had planned to take GB this week in the survival pool; after seeing AP I'm not so sure anymore
They play St. Louis later in the year..take em then 8-)

That said, I still think the Packers will win...As long as AP is their only player, they don't scare me..We beat em at their place, we can beat em at ours..

BF4MVP
11-06-2007, 11:08 AM
Minnesota worries me a bit because of the way LJ was running against us just before he got hurt.
LJ did nothing on Sunday...We contained him very well, and one well-executed screen pass doesn't change that....Not in my opinion, at least.

OS PA
11-06-2007, 11:10 AM
We learned our lesson last time. I'm hoping we have Cole and Muir active this week and play a 5,3,3 set, or a 4,3,4 depending on how obvious the down is. Put Harris on Sidney Rice and play Bigby over the top.

BF4MVP
11-06-2007, 11:11 AM
If we beat em by 7 at their place, why can't we beat em by more than 6.5 at ours?

You guys act like AP just all of a sudden got good last week...He's been great all season, and the Vikings are still terrible..It's not like he's going to run for 300 yards every week.

HarveyWallbangers
11-06-2007, 11:49 AM
If we beat em by 7 at their place, why can't we beat em by more than 6.5 at ours?

You guys act like AP just all of a sudden got good last week...He's been great all season, and the Vikings are still terrible..It's not like he's going to run for 300 yards every week.

Bingo! It's the NFL, so any team can beat another team. However, I'm not suddenly shaking in my boots. Peterson is awesome. There have been a lot of great RBs that have played on bad teams (Walter Payton, Eric Dickerson, Barry Sanders). We shut him down, and the Vikings have little chance. Minnesota has talent. They could win. However, I'll take our team over their team at this time. 6.5 points doesn't seem like a lot to me--when you consider it's a 7-1 team at home vs. a 3-5 team (that it beat by 7 points on the road).

They should be worried about our passing game as much as we should be worried about Peterson. It seems to me that we are solid against the run--while they are average (at best) against the pass.

Rastak
11-06-2007, 12:04 PM

Bingo! It's the NFL, so any team can beat another team. However, I'm not suddenly shaking in my boots. Peterson is awesome. There have been a lot of great RBs that have played on bad teams (Walter Payton, Eric Dickerson, Barry Sanders). We shut him down, and the Vikings have little chance. Minnesota has talent. They could win. However, I'll take our team over their team at this time. 6.5 points doesn't seem like a lot to me--when you consider it's a 7-1 team at home vs. a 3-5 team (that it beat by 7 points on the road).

They should be worried about our passing game as much as we should be worried about Peterson. It seems to me that we are solid against the run--while they are average (at best) against the pass.

Well, I certainly can see why Green Bay is favored. Their passing game is outstanding this year and that is not the strength of the Minnesota defense. If Green Bay is allowed to stack the box then they could very well shut down Peterson. I will, however, give you a couple of reasons why I have some hope.

1) Rouse and Bigby aren't the best coverage safeties. Williamson and Rice have shown the ability to get behind the defense. You can't stack the box when a team is going over the top.

2) Don't play Jackson. He isn't ready. He burned Chicago on a long Williamson TD but missed a bunch of other ones this year. Bollinger has played pretty well in relief this year. If he starts he gives them a little better chance to keep the running game open by at least giving the Vikings the option to go over the top.

3) The Vikings showed a bunch of new blitz packages and really pounded Rivers on Sunday. The front four also looked pretty good all day. If Green Bay's OL struggles at all Favre could be rushed into mistakes.

HarveyWallbangers
11-06-2007, 12:17 PM
The Vikings have hope because of #28. He's that good.

Merlin
11-06-2007, 12:21 PM
I don't like us being given a TD spread like that. With Collins out and Bigby's propensity for getting flagged deep, this may be the cure for the Vikings woeful passing attack. I think we can contain Adrian Peterson because he has been their only offense. But we are vulnerable if the ol' UW Bollinger finds his game.

Offensively, I think we can pass all day on them but there is no way we can rush with any success. So, I think we should run power I runs right up in their face and then time some play action. We will get our usual 70 yards rushing but we should not run the ball less then 20 plays against them.

This game has the makings of a huge upset in my mind.

Rastak
11-06-2007, 12:34 PM
The Vikings have hope because of #28. He's that good.

Yea, but they probably aren't going to win just because of #28. They have to play some defense and they have to stop Green Bay from stacking the box every play.

mngolf19
11-06-2007, 12:55 PM
At the same time, it depends on who shows up that day. The Vikes played with tenacity this last game, something they hadn't for awhile. And it showed up in both the blocking and defensive effort. If they show up with that same tenacity....might also help if whoever QB's completes a few passes downfield as Ras said. All you have to do is complete a few here and there and AP will be opened up. 6.5 pts is probably right due to how well Favre is playing right now. He is really making some great throws.

Cheesehead Craig
11-06-2007, 01:36 PM

We didn't stop their running attack in the previous game, Brad Childress did. They ran all over us. Confidence is running high for the Vikes with their run game, and with that, they have a very good chance of beating us.

oregonpackfan
11-06-2007, 02:55 PM
While I am very enthused about the Packers 7-1 record, I share the sentiment with other posters that a 6.5 favored point spread against the Vikings is very generous.

The Vikings are on an upswing with their offense, particularly their running game with Peterson. We cannot forget the Vikings also have a tremendous front four.

I actually, think the Packers chances are 50-50 for this game.

Zool
11-06-2007, 02:58 PM
I think point spreads are the second most arbitrary and ridiculous thing going ATM, sports-related that is.

Its set by 'experts' who are only using is to gain an advantage in the betting on of sporting events. I put about as much stock in it as I would a dog picking the winners of a Futbol tournament amongst bar teams Londons east side.

Him8123
11-06-2007, 03:12 PM
that spread does seem a little much. Plus conference games are usually close. I`d much rather be the underdogs, it has been working for us. Plus AP is scary good. I hate we have to face him twice a year now.

HarveyWallbangers
11-06-2007, 04:38 PM
What's the big deal about 6.5 points? You get 3 for being at home, so the bettors see the Packers as 3.5 points better than the Vikings. We are 7-1. They are 3-5. It can go either way, but I don't see anything wrong with this line.

BF4MVP
11-06-2007, 04:40 PM
What's the big deal about 6.5 points? You get 3 for being at home, so the bettors see the Packers as 3.5 points better than the Vikings. We are 7-1. They are 3-5. It can go either way, but I don't see anything wrong with this line.
:bclap:

Harlan Huckleby
11-06-2007, 04:41 PM
I'm as worried about the Vikes now as I was confident the last time. Peterson has really come on, they didn't use him to full advantage last game.