PDA

View Full Version : Daryn Colledge Struggling

HarveyWallbangers
11-05-2007, 11:16 PM
Big disappointment. I bet Bretsky never thought he'd see the day when Juice Coston is sorely missed. I'm really hoping Coston gets back healthy, and then they can put some pressure on Colledge to play better. You hope that out of Colledge, Spitz, Moll, and perhaps Barbre they could find a LG. I still think Colledge has a chance to make it, but it might have to be at LT eventually. Too early to write them off, but they can't have too many more of these pathetic efforts that they had against KC. Colledge responded last year after getting benched. Maybe he needs a kick in the pants.

On a side note: I hate they old coach-speak "we'll get it fixed." Well, sometimes you don't. What then?

Youth movement stalling out
By TOM SILVERSTEIN

Green Bay - The Green Bay Packers drafted offensive linemen Daryn Colledge, Jason Spitz and Tony Moll last year with the intention of solidifying an almost-bare cupboard at guard, but with performances like the one the three had Sunday against Kansas City, the Packers don't seem much better off.

With guard Junius Coston (ankle) and center Scott Wells (pneumonia) on the sideline, the three second-year linemen started together for the second consecutive game and ninth time overall, with Colledge at left guard, Spitz at center and Moll at right guard. Later, after Wells was inserted into the lineup, Spitz replaced Moll at right guard.

Through it all, the three played poorly and were the main reason quarterback Brett Favre was hit five times.

"That's not up to our standards," offensive line coach James Campen said. "We expect a lot more. They're young, but they've played almost 20 games now. I'm really telling you our guards have to play better. We need to get that shored up."

The Packers overcame their misdeeds on the offensive line to muster a 33-22 victory over Kansas City, raising their record to 7-1, which is tied for the second best mark in the NFL. Favre was only sacked once and threw for 360 yards and two touchdowns with two interceptions.

But things could have been much different if, say, the Chiefs had recovered Favre's fumble after Moll blew an assignment and allowed him to be sacked. Or if Favre hadn't gotten rid of the ball just before Alfonso Boone, who was in his face because Colledge misread his assignment, got his hand up on the 60-yard touchdown pass to Greg Jennings. Or if Spitz's whiff at the end of the second quarter, which allowed Jared Allen a free shot at Favre's ribs, had injured the Packers quarterback.

"You can say we threw for 360 yards and we completed 70% of our passes and all of that, but we let our quarterback get hit five times," Campen said. "That's unacceptable. We say that we expect that he never should get hit. That's not always going to happen, but just because we only gave up one sack doesn't mean we did a good job."

On the surface, Colledge appeared to be the worst offender. He was responsible for three quarterback hits, including a Boone hit on Favre's arm as he threw an interception at the end of the first half. He also didn't run block very well, missing some backside blocks, and committed holding and false start penalties.

The highest pick of the three, Colledge, a second-rounder, has started 23 games, all but one at left guard. He's playing between two reliable veterans, left tackle Chad Clifton and Wells, and should be performing more consistently.

Asked at his Monday news conference if he had concerns about Colledge, coach Mike McCarthy said, "Yes, I do. He didn't play very well yesterday, and he needs to perform better."

Were any of the other two playing better, McCarthy would have the option of replacing Colledge in the starting lineup. But neither Spitz nor Moll did much better against the Chiefs.

Moll was responsible for the only sack of the game, when he allowed penetration and opened the door for Allen to loop around and sack Favre, with the assistance of end Tamba Hali. Spitz did not make a smooth transition from center to guard after Wells was inserted into the lineup, allowing Allen's solid hit on Favre and being party to some ineffective blocks in the run game.

There is a chance that Coston, who took over the starting position at right guard from Spitz after Week 1, could be back this week from an ankle sprain. But Coston was inactive Sunday and looked gimpy in practice as late as last week.

Campen said he didn't know if Coston, who was mostly solid as a starter, would be back this week. Regardless of his status, Campen said the focus of practice this week will be the play of the guards.

"It's not just Daryn, it's what happened to our guard position?" Campen said. "We have to play better. It always goes back to fundamentals and finishing. We certainly have our work cut out for us this week going against two Minnesota big-time defensive tackles. We'll get that fixed this week."

CaliforniaCheez
11-05-2007, 11:20 PM
It has been obvious Daryn Colledge is Struggling.

Scott Campbell
11-05-2007, 11:50 PM
On a side note: I hate they old coach-speak "we'll get it fixed." Well, sometimes you don't. What then?

Gary Kubiak hires you in Houston.

FritzDontBlitz
11-06-2007, 01:35 AM
We THOUGHT it was just Colledge. The article say they all are.

mmmdk
11-06-2007, 03:21 AM
Thank god for our HOF QB, no disrespect to AR, but he'd have been eaten alive by that stout KC D - and mediocre at best GB OL.

Favre is the difference maker, without Favre, take a wild guess at Packers record then.

Bretsky
11-06-2007, 07:31 AM
We THOUGHT it was just Colledge. The article say they all are.

Yes, all showed promise at some time last year

But none have taken the next step this year.

We actually miss Coston and even if he were back we'd still have to play one of them

MJZiggy
11-06-2007, 08:45 AM
How did Wells' sinus infection turn into pneumonia? And he played with that.

Actually I was under the impression that Spitz did an ok job at center. They must be referring to after Wells came back in. This could get interesting.

HarveyWallbangers
11-06-2007, 09:18 AM
Favre is the difference maker, without Favre, take a wild guess at Packers record then.

Favre is great, but he needs help too. We went 4-12 and 8-8 with him the last two years. He is a major difference maker though. It would all depend on just how good Aaron Rodgers is. If he's Rex Grossman, we'd probably be 1-7. If he's Derek Anderson, we'd probably be around a .500 or team. Maybe slightly better--with our receivers, defense, and special teams.

b bulldog
11-06-2007, 03:44 PM
The Williams' must be licking their chops thinking about going against our G's.

HarveyWallbangers
11-06-2007, 04:40 PM
The Williams' must be licking their chops thinking about going against our G's.

That's what has been said for the last two years, but we are 3-0 against them.

BF4MVP
11-06-2007, 04:41 PM
Offensive line has not progressed as we expected or hoped it would..Especially Colledge..I thought he was the best of the three last year..Now he's probably the worst, although neither of them are anything special....

OS PA
11-06-2007, 04:42 PM
Offensive line has not progressed as we expected or hoped it would..Especially Colledge..I thought he was the best of the three last year..Now he's probably the worst, although neither of them are anything special....

Spitz is actually pretty damn good, nothing special, but no where near in the league of Colledge and Moll.

Brando19
11-06-2007, 08:14 PM

Gary Kubiak hires you in Houston.

:lol: Funny...but true.

b bulldog
11-06-2007, 09:11 PM
We will win but the Williams' will get some shots on Brett. Colledge is a severe weak link. I think they should try him at T some in the offseason and see if his athleticism is better used against the smaller DE's instead of the big, powerful DT's.

retailguy
11-06-2007, 10:31 PM
How did Wells' sinus infection turn into pneumonia? And he played with that.

Actually I was under the impression that Spitz did an ok job at center. They must be referring to after Wells came back in. This could get interesting.

I've said for almost a year now, on and off, that Colledge is a better tackle than a guard. I think that his future is there. I also think that Spitz has played better at center than he ever did as a guard. I'm not sure if that's saying much, though. Seems to me that Wells played "OK" in spot duty at guard last year (tho his arms are probably too short to stay there full time).

what a mess. Can OJ step it up? I'd have never thunk it, but maybe. He can't be any worse than Moll and Spitz, that's for sure....

esoxx
11-06-2007, 11:28 PM
So Colledge can go from a lousy starting guard to a backup tackle? Well, at least he's off the field that way. :lol:

Bretsky
11-07-2007, 07:26 AM
He's not going to bump one of our two steady players anways for a few years. He was obviously drafted to be a Guard and needs to learn how to be competent there

pbmax
11-07-2007, 08:48 AM
The Banaczyk article elsewhere made clear that Colledge isn't going anywhere, but its not because he is improving, its because Moll as guard is even worse. If Moll is regarded by coaches as a better option at guard than Barbre, then there isn't much to do this year. Perhaps Barbre will pull a Grant and prove to be better suited to the position than those in front of him. Seems unlikely we will get to find out unless someone gets hurt.

Spitz did look better as center for the last couple of weeks. But Wells/Spitz > Spitz/Moll.

In some way, having two veterans who might be the next tackles (Colledge and Moll) is a good thing. Problem is, as Tank would remind us, we are still looking for Logan Mankins at guard :D in year three A.W. (After Wahle)

* Completely ignore post if Coston gets healthy. Except for the Tank joke.

Joemailman
11-08-2007, 05:14 PM
Thursday, November 8, 2007
Coston still battling soreness
Barring a late push from Junius Coston, the Packers will open Sunday's game with the same set of guards that closed last week's game -- Jason Spitz on the right, Daryn Colledge on the left.

Spitz and Colledge took the majority of reps in practice today, while Coston struggled with soreness in his problematic ankle, coach Mike McCarthy said. It's unlikely Coston would get the start unless he practices without incident Friday.

"The way he feels (Friday) is going to be a big indication on if he can go on Sunday," McCarthy said.

The other player in the mix for action at guard, rookie Allen Barbre, didn't work at all with the starters during the portion of practice that was open to the media today.

Harlan Huckleby
11-08-2007, 06:03 PM
Barring a late push from Junius Coston, the Packers will open Sunday's game with the same set of guards that closed last week's game -- Jason Spitz on the right, Daryn Colledge on the left.

Not surprising. There isn't much difference between those guys. Ya, maybe some value in having a competition.

b bulldog
11-08-2007, 08:01 PM
All of our G's are just guys at the moment. They should be on the disappointing list.

Joemailman
11-08-2007, 08:57 PM
There is another thread on this forum asking why K. Schott is still here. I'm wondering why James Campen seems to be getting a free pass. Shouldn't the fact that we have had young players like Colledge ans Spitz seemingly regress in their second year bring up questions about the coaching?

Green Bud Packer
11-08-2007, 09:10 PM
There is another thread on this forum asking why K. Schott is still here. I'm wondering why James Campen seems to be getting a free pass. Shouldn't the fact that we have had young players like Colledge ans Spitz seemingly regress in their second year bring up questions about the coaching?

Campen may be getting a free pass from media and fans but I doubt he's breathing easy.

He'll be evaluated at years end and if the run blocking stays dismal it might be time to ditch either the coach or the zone blocking.

Dumping Campen and hiring a guy more schooled in Z-blocking would be an option.

Changing schemes means revamping the o-line.

I'm in favor of changing schemes