PDA

View Full Version : Which Jersey to Buy?

Lurker64
11-06-2007, 12:16 AM
So, here's my dilemma. I like football jerseys for obscure players and/or obscure positions, and I intended to buy another Jersey this year. On one hand, I'm interested in buying the jersey of our young up and coming Kicker Mason Crosby who will hopefully go on to achieve great things for this team in coming years. But on the other hand, I'm drawn to the jersey of Rob Davis the second most consistent contributor to this Packers team. (If you don't know much about Davis, read his profile (http://www.packers.com/team/players/davis_rob/) at packers.com)

So which is cooler in that "so uncool it's cool" way, the youthful hotshot kicker or the veteran longsnapper?

Partial
11-06-2007, 12:17 AM
What about the canadian ginger jew? He is one of the best in the biz already!

Bossman641
11-06-2007, 12:44 AM
Wow tough call. Never could have imagined someone would face this dilemna.

I'm not sure rockin a kicker jersey could ever be cool. That said, neither is wearing a Rob Davis jersey.

I'd go with Crosby just cause he should be around for a while. Davis seems to be on the cut line every year. I'd hate to get a jersey and then have the player be gone the next year.

Good luck

the_idle_threat
11-06-2007, 06:01 AM
I love the idea of jerseys of obscure players and obscure positions. It's something outside of the norm (even better than my idea of jerseys of infamous players, e.g. Mandarich, Jamal Reynolds, or T.J. Rubley).

Crosby is very good and all, but the jersey would be relegated to a garage rag if, at some point down the line, he turns out to suck after all (we haven't seen him yet in Lambeau winter), or worse yet, makes some kind of gaffe (e.g. Applebee's comment). Also, it's more on the borderline between fanboy and obscure, since he's pretty high profile, being a rookie who basically won the Philly game.

I'd go Davis, because his place in Packers history is assured, and he's a great combo of good guy and bad mofo. Plus, what position is more obscure than long snapper?

It's such a good idea, I wish I had thought of it first.

the_idle_threat
11-06-2007, 06:07 AM
Davis' bio (linked above) doesn't mention this, which I remember reading way back when at JSO:

Rookie free agent nose tackle Ken Kocher might have gotten away with shoving rookie center Andy Eby in the head well after the whistle, but he chose the wrong man to mess with in the morning practice. After some extracurricular activity during a special teams, Kocher found himself face to face with long snapper Rob Davis. Bad move. Davis used to be a bodyguard for Chicago Bulls forward Dennis Rodman and is not to be messed with. Luckily for Kocher, defensive assistant Brad Miller was there to prevent an altercation.

link: http://www.jsonline.com/story/index.aspx?id=66524&format=print

I like that our long snapper is "not to be messed with." 8-)

woodbuck27
11-06-2007, 04:03 PM
I voted Rob Davis but Mason Crosby is cool too.

Freak Out
11-06-2007, 04:45 PM
I voted for Davis...nobody has been able to replace him all these years.

GoPackGo
11-06-2007, 04:54 PM
So, here's my dilemma. I like football jerseys for obscure players and/or obscure positions, and I intended to buy another Jersey this year.
So which is cooler in that "so uncool it's cool" way, the youthful hotshot kicker or the veteran longsnapper?

I think you should pick a different way to be unique. explaining why you wear a Davis or Crosby jersey to people who ask will no doubt make you look foolish.

Rastak
11-06-2007, 05:42 PM
I love the idea of jerseys of obscure players and obscure positions. It's something outside of the norm (even better than my idea of jerseys of infamous players, e.g. Mandarich, Jamal Reynolds, or T.J. Rubley).

Crosby is very good and all, but the jersey would be relegated to a garage rag if, at some point down the line, he turns out to suck after all (we haven't seen him yet in Lambeau winter), or worse yet, makes some kind of gaffe (e.g. Applebee's comment). Also, it's more on the borderline between fanboy and obscure, since he's pretty high profile, being a rookie who basically won the Philly game.

I'd go Davis, because his place in Packers history is assured, and he's a great combo of good guy and bad mofo. Plus, what position is more obscure than long snapper?

I saw dude last year wearing a Viking Jarvis Redwine jersey which I thought was funny as hell. One of the worst picks ever for the Vikes back in the early 80's.

gbpackfan
11-06-2007, 06:08 PM
I wouldn't buy either one of them. But, if you are dead set on it, get Davis'. Crosby is a rookie and hasn't earned the right yet. At least Davis has been doing his job, and doing it well, for a lot of years.

Iron Mike
11-06-2007, 06:29 PM
How 'bout a throwback jersey from the 1994 Halloween game??

http://chancemichaels.tripod.com/packers_images/ruttgers_jackolantern.jpg

MadtownPacker
11-06-2007, 06:32 PM
I think you should pick a different way to be unique. explaining why you wear a Davis or Crosby jersey to people who ask will no doubt make you look foolish.It's easy to tell that Santa never left you a jersey under the tree. :lol: :lol:

superfan
11-06-2007, 06:49 PM
Gotta go with Davis. Chances are very good that he will retire a Packer. I still see the occasional Longwell jersey once in awhile. Don't be that guy.

esoxx
11-06-2007, 10:49 PM
Neither.

the_idle_threat
11-07-2007, 10:21 AM

I saw dude last year wearing a Viking Jarvis Redwine jersey which I thought was funny as hell. One of the worst picks ever for the Vikes back in the early 80's.

See, that's what I'm talkin about! :lol:

Other Packer examples: Brent Fullwood, Jim McMahon, Mossy Cade. Maybe John Michels.

3irty1
11-07-2007, 11:17 AM
Davis is the best there ever was. Easy choice :)

the_idle_threat
11-07-2007, 11:26 AM
So, here's my dilemma. I like football jerseys for obscure players and/or obscure positions, and I intended to buy another Jersey this year.

I think you should pick a different way to be unique. explaining why you wear a Davis or Crosby jersey to people who ask will no doubt make you look foolish.

Who says people are entitled to an explanation?

3irty1
11-07-2007, 11:32 AM

You just gotta say: "I'm wearing a Rob Davis jersey because he's the best there ever was."

Tarlam!
11-07-2007, 03:07 PM
Gotta go with Davis. Chances are very good that he will retire a Packer. I still see the occasional Longwell jersey once in awhile. Don't be that guy.

What Superfan said, with changing a syllable.

GoPackGo
11-08-2007, 09:47 AM
wearing football jerseys for obscure players and/or obscure positions is like telling inside jokes to people who aren't on the inside: They just won't get it or find it funny no matter how you tell it or explain it. :roll:

the_idle_threat
11-08-2007, 10:54 AM
wearing football jerseys for obscure players and/or obscure positions is like telling inside jokes to people who aren't on the inside: They just won't get it or find it funny no matter how you tell it or explain it. :roll:

So you're supposed to cater to people who "don't get it"? I think not. If people don't understand, that's their problem. There's no reason to explain anything to them, or to seek their approval.

GoPackGo
11-08-2007, 10:59 AM

So you're supposed to cater to people who "don't get it"? I think not. If people don't understand, that's their problem. There's no reason to explain anything to them, or to seek their approval.

Count me in as one of the people who don't get it. I'm happy wearing jersey's of players that actually lead their team to victory in big games.

the_idle_threat
11-08-2007, 11:04 AM

Count me in as one of the people who don't get it. I'm happy wearing jersey's of players that actually lead their team to victory in big games.

This goes without saying. :P :P :P

gbgary
11-08-2007, 11:04 AM
i voted for crosby. he's going to be a fixture here for a looong time. the deep snapper idea is pretty funny though. get both if you have money to burn.

GoPackGo
11-08-2007, 11:22 AM

This goes without saying. :P :P :P
:rs: