PDA

View Full Version : Forum Police.....

RashanGary
05-10-2006, 06:35 PM
I have a ton of respect for the creators of this forum. IMO you guys have created an amazing site.

I do have one complaint. I don't like when reasonable topics get moved from the main page to the romper grave yard. You might as well toss it 3 pages back. You come here to talk to a group of people but you have to go from one room to the next. It's just inconvenient and it's hard to get consistant discussion because your thread takes forever to get a hit.

I'm not saying we should overload the Packer forum with OT threads. There is a line to draw and sometimes it's not so clear. Everyone's line probably differs a little bit. I know there are some here who would restrict conversations and language to the point where it is more uncomfortable than chirstmas at the inlaws and there are some who would have profanity posted on every thread. I just want to let my forum voice be heard.

Here is why I think an OT thread like AP or FYI is good for the health and well being of the forum:

1. People hit the main page most frequently. Sometimes you just want to hear what your forum friends have to say on a topic so you drop on by. You immediately head for the dark dingy corner of the forum and kick up a discussion in the so called Romper Room *great idea, bad results*. What happens? Nobody responds. Why? Because they are on the main page for 3/4 of their visit and either miss your thread or catch it when it's too late.

2. I think conversation on the main page and overall volume is only a good thing for any forum. Diversity and free speech help to feed an enviornment that is comfortable and welcoming.

On the flip side, a forum can be overtaken wiht OT threads and junk. I spent a lot fo time at JS and sometimes days went by without a mod checking in. It was a great place for a long time untill one idiot started doing rediculous things. The forum became unusable. Untill that happened, the forum was great. There was OT stuff. Sure we all could have gone to a different forum to talk about Kobe or Barroid or whatever the hell was on our minds that day but we chose to talk to our usual buddies about it instead.

If you tihnk back to JS, there were some great times. Sure we didnt' like every homosexual OT thread that popped up but for the most part, that stuff made it a fun place to visit. Honestly, I think a part of H.H. and Tank died when we came here because they had a ton of good info and insite on a lot of that stuff and now it is designated to the dark corner. I respectfully request that those in charge move that gray line a little to the left. I liked our old internet personalities and I think it's possible to let them live on the main page without harming the integrity of this board. Acctually, it makes it a very comfortable place.

If you look at a thread and you ask:

Is this really offensive to large groups?
Is this thread damaging the football integrity of the board?

If the answer is yes to either, move that mother beeper right to the romper room. If the answer is no to both then why? IMO you are hurting the board by taking away from it's livelyhood and personality. The romper room was a great idea and I at first thought it was great but honestly, I feel like putting OT comments in a new room has made it harder to discuss them and brought about a general discomfort to speak on the main page.

That's my damn rant. Whew....

I resepect the intentions of the authority, but I think somethings might get misplaced. Thanks for hearing me.

MadtownPacker
05-10-2006, 06:47 PM
"Diversity and free speech help to feed an enviornment that is comfortable and welcoming."

Dont agree with this comment cuz it aint censoring, just putting in the appropriate place.

As for the rest of it. You bring up a excellent point NC. Hate to move threads to the romper room cuz it does take the thunder out of it. But like you said, OT threads can start overtaking football ones. The problem is where do we draw the line? If I move one that tanks makes then it isnt right for me not to move one you make. There is a Mothers day one that I have to move to be fair but man I feel like a real asshole doing that. So Im torn on this subject.

RashanGary
05-10-2006, 06:56 PM
I know mad....I think you were the right guy for the job though. You come from a diverse backround so you can relate and respect many people. That makes you a pretty damn qualified leader in my book.

I'm requesting it move a little to the left. I know some stuff just doesn't belong on the main board. I miss AP, FYI and the one or two big issues that are happening that week. Barroid if he hits 715 would be an example. Kobe going for 87 or whatever..Things like that.....Sometiems a homo topic would get really heated. It was cool when they were on the main page. I think it only got bad when that moron kept posting like 20 threads to push everything off and started being really personal and attacking. Other than that, I liked all the other stuff. I know that might be too far to the left but I'm just tossing this out there.

Whatever you do, I think this site is doing an awasome job. Anytime you create someithg in public like this you are going to get some feedback. Mine is meant as good will not ill will.

MadtownPacker
05-10-2006, 07:07 PM
Qualified? Haha, thats a first.

Good arguement but I gotta tell you the title of this thread is BS. Nobody is policing nobody.

You KNOW I liked AP and even though I didnt use it I really like FYI including the lil battles between the threads. I just dont see how that can work though. Do we make only an FYI or AP thread then say, OK no one else makes a political or OT thread in the Packers area? Then we would be policing. Right now it is just catergorizing but i hear you on headlines making good conversation. At the same time the RR serves its purpose well.

How about we make this thread into a vote to get the opinions of the masses?

RashanGary
05-10-2006, 07:28 PM
It's tough...

I can see the dillema...

Maybe you guys can figure out a way to have a happy medium. Like judgement calls.

RashanGary
05-10-2006, 07:29 PM
LOL...yeah police isn't the right word....I was a little offended at the get this crap in the romper room comment earlier...

I know you don't want to be a damn nazi...

Little Whiskey
05-11-2006, 07:37 AM
here is a solution, start checking in at the romper room. what the romper room needs is good threads and topics. it also needs people to stop by during their football discussion. I like the division. if i want to discuss music, cooking types, help with weight lifting, i know where to find them. if i want to discuss the draft or aj hawk i know where to go. talk about dumping a thread to the graveyard. there is so much packer talk and threads being posted that a thread on mad's latest avatar will drop to the third page behind the 14th draft board thread! (actually, there isn't as many duplicates as there used to be on JSO)

thats my thoughts, you know how i voted

MJZiggy
05-11-2006, 07:50 AM
I love the Romper Room. You never know what someone's gonna bring up next.

RashanGary
05-11-2006, 08:50 AM
I think we should keep the romper room too but I think it would be a good idea to hold off from moving threads unless they hurt the content of the main page. I don't think 3 OT threads are hurtfull to the content. I explained above why I think it's acctually better.

I think we should have this vote on the main page because we're only getting romper votes here. :)

GBRulz
05-11-2006, 09:09 AM
Ditto for me... I love the romper room, too.

Mad hit the nail on the head, at what point do you draw the line between what OT threads to keep.

if we kept OT topics on the main page, people would have less reason to check out other parts of the forum. i've actually noticed an increase lately of people posting and participating on RR forum, so I think it's definitely getting noticed.

mraynrand
05-11-2006, 01:13 PM
Keep it simple. All OT threads should go to RR. The only problem as I see it is when a football thread veers into OT. I've modified some of my own posts to avoid this.

jack's smirking revenge
05-11-2006, 01:14 PM
My opinion: The Packers fourm should be for NFL and Packers chat. Romper Room for should be for anything OT.

Some people are here just for the Packer and NFL chat and we should respect that.

tyler

swede
05-11-2006, 02:01 PM
I know mad....I think you were the right guy for the job though. You come from a diverse backround so you can relate and respect many people. That makes you a pretty damn qualified leader in my book.

I thought it was because he handled a knife better than the rest of us.