PDA

View Full Version : Darren Sharper

packinpatland
11-06-2007, 09:34 AM
"Some of the throws he's making, I just hope he tries that against us," So do we!!!! :lol:

http://www.startribune.com/510/story/1530778.html

Sharper to Favre: Try going deep, I'll be ready

Darren Sharper knows Brett Favre is playing some of the best football of his career, and the Vikings safety has seen the highlights of his former teammate completing touchdown passes of 79, 82 and 60 yards in the Packers' most recent victories at Denver and Kansas City.
So what does Sharper think of Favre's success on those deep passes?

"Some of the throws he's making, I just hope he tries that against us," Sharper said Monday. "Those 50-yard balls over the middle of the field, we'll see how much success he has."

The Vikings (3-5) will play the Packers (7-1) at noon Sunday at Lambeau Field.

Sharper, of course, is very familiar with Favre. The two played together in Green Bay for eight seasons and the Favre-led Packers went to the Super Bowl when Sharper was a rookie in 1997.

"I can't remember him playing any better than he's playing right now," Sharper admitted.

Sharper joined the Vikings in 2005 and often talked about his desire to get an interception against Favre. That happened last December when the teams played in Green Bay.

He nearly had another pick in the Vikings' 23-16 loss to Green Bay on Sept. 30, but it was nullified by a penalty.

Favre attempted 45 passes in that game and broke Dan Marino's NFL record for career touchdown passes. Sharper is hoping Favre again tries to put on an aerial show with some deep shots.

"I just see him throw the ball up over the middle of the field very high and very long, and I like when quarterbacks do that," Sharper said. "He did that last time we played him."

HarveyWallbangers
11-06-2007, 09:38 AM
He should probably learn to keep his mouth shut, but I guess it's hard to teach an old dog new tricks.

Deputy Nutz
11-06-2007, 09:42 AM
Does Sharper just do this against the Packers? Or is he constantly talking trash about other teams? Does he realize that his secondary is the worst in football? Part of me believes he just says this shit to mess around with his old teammates, I don't think he even takes himself seriously.

Zool
11-06-2007, 09:44 AM
He should probably learn to keep his mouth shut, but I guess it's hard to teach an old dog new tricks.

Making the easy joke....now.

Mike Vick could teach him.

The Leaper
11-06-2007, 09:55 AM
Does Sharper just do this against the Packers? Or is he constantly talking trash about other teams? Does he realize that his secondary is the worst in football? Part of me believes he just says this shit to mess around with his old teammates, I don't think he even takes himself seriously.

I think the media plays it up more with the MIN-GB matchup, and they know Sharper will give them what they want. I've seen him spout crap for other matchups as well though. That's just what he does to motivate himself, I guess. It's harmless as far as I'm concerned. He respects Favre, and the lip service is probably more of his way to show it. I'm sure he did the same crap to Favre when he was with the Packers in training camp.

mmmdk
11-06-2007, 10:15 AM

...poor Mike Vick then :cry: NOT :lol:

Cheesehead Craig
11-06-2007, 10:48 AM
I hope Favre throws those passes too, Sharper's not fast enough to keep up with Jennings or Jones.

MJZiggy
11-06-2007, 10:54 AM
He said the exact same thing last time we played and got toasted for a 42-yard touchdown. Keep talkin' Darren!!!

RashanGary
11-06-2007, 11:32 AM
I though Sharper got torched by Jennings in the last game, but Favre was under pressure and didn't get a good throw off.

Merlin
11-06-2007, 12:28 PM
Sharper got torched by Jennings this year and by Driver last year. He had better hope Favre doesn't continue to throw the 50 yard bullet, maybe this will be the game that Jennings gets that 10 yard separation that makes Harrison, Wayne, Moss and Owens look so dangerous. I mean it's only Sharper back there and his mouth is faster then he is.

BF4MVP
11-06-2007, 12:32 PM
Ohhhhh man I can't wait for Sunday...

Cleft Crusty
11-06-2007, 12:51 PM
"I can't remember him playing any better than he's playing right now," Sharper admitted.

Perhaps Sharper's memory was failing in 1997 because he was having a pretty marginal rookie year and not paying attention, while Favre was earning his third MVP trophy. Or perhaps he wasn't looking in 2002, when Favre started off playing the best ball of his career through 9 games. Of course, that was the year everyone got injured, including Sharper, who was injured running back an INT when he should have just taken a knee. Or perhaps he also forgot 2004, when Favre had a statistical year like 1997, and had to bail out the horrific Packer defense in a number of games. There is a medical term called hysterical blindness, that some suffer after experiencing significant trauma. Perhaps Sharper suffered from hysterical blindness in 2004, after witnessing his play and the play of the defense around him, and didn't really see what Favre was doing.

The Leaper
11-06-2007, 01:19 PM
There is a medical term called hysterical blindness, that some suffer after experiencing significant trauma. Perhaps Sharper suffered from hysterical blindness in 2004, after witnessing his play and the play of the defense around him, and didn't really see what Favre was doing.

You are on to something Clefty.

I was pretty hysterical when it came to the defense in 2004...and I wasn't on the team roster.

Him8123
11-06-2007, 03:16 PM
does Sharper have bad blood with Favre or something?? Or is he just trying to stir a friendly pot rivalry? I hope Jennings or Driver scorches him and scores a TD and then runs back to sharper to hand him the ball. That would be some good jabbing! Nice little up yours!

b bulldog
11-06-2007, 03:40 PM
That is Sharper's game, he talks and this might fire him up.

MadtownPacker
11-06-2007, 04:48 PM
That is Sharper's game, he talks and this might fire him up.Please, the only people he is firing up is Favre and the WRs.

I love that he runs his mouth. I hope he keeps it up because so far it has come back to bite him in the ass everytime.

b bulldog
11-06-2007, 09:13 PM
He does this every week, it is his game.

esoxx
11-06-2007, 11:08 PM
Sharper is always talking junk but he does appear to have a king-sized chip on his shoulder against the Packers. He had a big problem with the way he left Green Bay. Talking smack about Favre is just another way for him to twist the knife a little.
It's not smart to tug on Superman's cape though. :)

packinpatland
11-07-2007, 07:13 AM
................goes right along with 'whizzing' in the wind!

pbmax
11-07-2007, 08:51 AM
Mr. Route Jumper will also get to run off his mouth after the game, explaining his trailing the scoring play by five yards.

Rastak
11-07-2007, 08:57 AM
Mr. Route Jumper will also get to run off his mouth after the game, explaining his trailing the scoring play by five yards.

He might not be the only safety on the field explaining that be the end of the game I think.

Zool
11-07-2007, 09:00 AM

He might not be the only safety on the field explaining that be the end of the game I think.

So you think Dwight Smith will be explaining too? Or is Tank starting in his place?

Rastak
11-07-2007, 09:08 AM

So you think Dwight Smith will be explaining too? Or is Tank starting in his place?

We'll see which names and which jerseys on Sunday........ :)

Zool
11-07-2007, 09:29 AM

Indeed we shall my good man. The rook starting that CB?

Rastak
11-07-2007, 09:47 AM

Indeed we shall my good man. The rook starting that CB?

Not sure if Winfield will be healthy enough to go or not. McCauley got torched a couple of times but also made a couple good plays. I'd rather he not start of course.... :shock:

MadtownPacker
11-07-2007, 10:51 AM
You guys are doing good, we have Rastak ready to go off on us. Lets keep the pressure on him, he will crack.

I will smile when it happens. :D

Rastak
11-07-2007, 11:36 AM
You guys are doing good, we have Rastak ready to go off on us. Lets keep the pressure on him, he will crack.

I will smile when it happens. :D

No, no chance. I'm not ultra confident, I just think there is a decent chance for an upset here for all the reasons I laid out in other threads.

3irty1
11-07-2007, 11:42 AM
If AP is good for another 300 yds then I could see an upset. I could also see it being a blowout win for the Pack.

Carolina_Packer
11-07-2007, 12:52 PM
If the Packers can jump on them early, perhaps get a turnover and get a good lead, that may just take away the Vikes game plan on offense. If the Vikings D can keep it close, then the Vikings offense could grind with Peterson. I heard the Vikes signed another emergency QB today, so the Koy Detmer era in Minnie starts this Sunday.

Merlin
11-07-2007, 12:57 PM
I can see this as an upset game for the Packers. But I can also see us limiting Adrian Peterson and trying to let the rest of the offense beat us. The Vikings run defense is no doubt very good and we don't run the ball well. The Vikings secondary with Sharper isn't much to worry about, even without Sharper.

packinpatland
11-07-2007, 01:27 PM
You mean upset as the Packers winning, right?
How can it be an upset if we're favored?
...............just nitpicking :wink:

Rastak
11-07-2007, 01:30 PM

Me?

No I said an upset was possible and that would be the Vikings winning. I realize the Packers are favorites and should be.

packinpatland
11-07-2007, 01:40 PM

Me?

No I said an upset was possible and that would be the Vikings winning. I realize the Packers are favorites and should be.

I was referring to Merlin's post, sorry for not being specific. :wink:

"I can see this as an upset game for the Packers. But I can also see us limiting Adrian Peterson and trying to let the rest of the offense beat us. The Vikings run defense is no doubt very good and we don't run the ball well. The Vikings secondary with Sharper isn't much to worry about, even without Sharper."

Merlin
11-07-2007, 01:46 PM
It's just one of those feelings you get in your gut. I hope I am wrong but this has the makings to be an upset. Favored by a TD and for only the second time this year (we lost the other one). Offensive line is a merry-go-round and Adrian Peterson torched us the first half last time, it was Childress who lost that game for the Vikings.

We know what to expect from Peterson but can we stop him. Our run defense has stiffened somewhat so there is a positive there. ASI have said before, stop Peterson and make Brooks Bollinger and Robert Ferguson beat us.

Cheesehead Craig
11-12-2007, 08:05 AM
Sharper was supposed to be on the Fox channel sports last night to talk about the game, as he does every week. Last night, he wasn't on and the announcer said that he wasn't going to be there as he was too emotional about the loss.

Sharper ran his mouth pregame in public, got embarrassed, and now is ducking out when it's time to be accountable for it. Stand up and be a man Darren. That Fox station also followed him around on his day off and did a special on him this week too. He sure loved the attention before...

The Leaper
11-12-2007, 08:10 AM
Sharper was supposed to be on the Fox channel sports last night to talk about the game, as he does every week. Last night, he wasn't on and the announcer said that he wasn't going to be there as he was too emotional about the loss.

That is pretty lame...if you run your yap, you should be willing to accept the tough questions when you don't back it up.

Carolina_Packer
11-12-2007, 08:58 AM

That is pretty lame...if you run your yap, you should be willing to accept the tough questions when you don't back it up.

Perhaps money wasn't the only reason for TT standing firm on a pay reduction for Sharper. To me, this shows a lack of character to not come and face the media after you taunt. Again, you understand why someone does it. You need something to get up for as a player. Hell, they had just ripped San Diego a new one, why not let your play do the talking?

mraynrand
11-12-2007, 09:19 AM
I'm surprised Sharper didn't show. He certainly could have talked up his big play, breaking up that TD pass to Griffin in the endzone late in the game - oh wait, I forgot, Griffin doesn't play for the Packers. I also really enjoyed his 'day late, dollar short' coverage on the bomb to Jennings. That brought back the old memories of Sharper as a Packer laying the heavy lumber on a receiver that had already made the big catch - T.O. in 1998, Moss in multiple years, The 4th and 26 play

DAY LATE, DOLLAR SHORT SHARPER. How fitting that he's late (absent) from his own post game show. I think a good new nickname for Sharper would be MIA SHARPER for 'missing in action', but we probably won't get to use it since I don't see him being in the league next year - Oh wait, he plays for the Vikings, so I guess he has a pretty good shot of hanging on given their mastery of player personnel.

mraynrand
06-02-2008, 01:20 PM
bump