PDA

View Full Version : Gripe with the impromptu hurry up plays. Legit or no?

Chester Marcol
11-06-2007, 02:26 PM
I haven't seen it discussed, and as often as it happens, there must be others with observations on this.

I'm not a big fan when Favre does the impromptu hurry up plays. It is a completely different situation than a hurry up offense because I don't think anyone else is expecting it. All of a sudden you have Favre waiving everyone to hurry up to the line. I can understand what he's trying to accomplish, catching defense off guard or catching the defense in player changes. However, I think our offense at times looks just as off guard.

I would like to see a stat on successes of the unplanned hurry up. Other than the few times we've gotten penalties, I really can't remember much success. I remember more times like the one from the KC game that didn't amount to anything and left us at 2nd and 10, and we didn't get a first down after that. After a nice play that picked up some good yards, I think that hurry up play slowed the momentum a bit. We are a west coast rhythm type offense. From what I see, we are most productive when we get into a grove, taking small chunks, mixing in shots down the field, and moving the chains.

We're 7-1, Favre is having a Pro Bowl year, and I'm enjoying the ride so it may be a petty issue, but none the less it's one of those annoyances for me.

BlueBrewer
11-06-2007, 02:31 PM
I think that he is trying to catch the defense on their heels or in mid-substitution, or to make them use a time-out. True, it does not always work but I like it and think they should continue.

MadScientist
11-06-2007, 02:32 PM
The other reason is to get a play of before the other team can challenge. If KC had done on the play they lost the challenge on, it could have made a huge difference.

The idea is sound, so I'd say keep trying unless the numbers really look bad.

Badgepack
11-06-2007, 02:35 PM
As I have stated before, I like the semi-hurry up offense. It worked well against Denver and beyond that I don't remember specifics but it seems to work more often than not.

The Leaper
11-06-2007, 02:42 PM
If Favre feels the 11 guys on the field for Green Bay have a considerable advantage over the 11 guys on defense, why shouldn't he attempt to do what is necessary to prevent the defense from substituting?

I'm almost certain it is something he and McCarthy talk about during the week. They might see a certain defense that they feel can be exposed with a certain play. When Favre sees that defense on the field, he's going to try to exploit it.

I have no problem with it. If anything, Green Bay should use it MORE...because of the experience and knowledge of the guy under center directing the offense. You don't want to run that stuff with a newbie.

Chester Marcol
11-06-2007, 02:52 PM
As I have stated before, I like the semi-hurry up offense. It worked well against Denver and beyond that I don't remember specifics but it seems to work more often than not.

I don't have a problem with the semi-hurry or hurry up offense. I think Favre is one of the best at running it. It's just those times when he seems to be the one deciding that RIGHT NOW we hurry up. It just appears that it catches our guys almost by surprise and doesn't come off very organized.

FritzDontBlitz
11-06-2007, 03:03 PM
Legit or no? My answer is no.

Carolina_Packer
11-06-2007, 03:11 PM

I don't have a problem with the semi-hurry or hurry up offense. I think Favre is one of the best at running it. It's just those times when he seems to be the one deciding that RIGHT NOW we hurry up. It just appears that it catches our guys almost by surprise and doesn't come off very organized.

You gotta think that's addressed in practice and meetings. I'm sure Favre is not shy about speaking up saying, hey guys, sometimes I'm gonna audible to a quick snap, or a hurry up play when I see something, so you have to be ready for that. That would be the downside of having a younger team at many of the skill positions perhaps.

superfan
11-06-2007, 04:27 PM
I like it most of the time. It didn't make much sense late in the half of the KC game where it seemed the goal should have been to eat up clock.

MadtownPacker
11-06-2007, 05:01 PM
While this instance in the KC game didnt work so well Favre doing this has made several opponents burn timeouts. Either they had the wrong personnel or too many men on the field but it is nice to know they are wasting time outs due to Favre's quick thinking.

RashanGary
11-06-2007, 05:06 PM
I like it. Just as mad said, teams have been burning TO's and they look pissed when it happens. Shannahan looked like he was going to blow a nut when he had to use a time out because of one of those hurry ups. They ended up iwth one less time out at the end of the game, and it acctually made a difference in teh outcome. Cutler had to force more, rather than having that time out in his back pocket at the end.