PDA

View Full Version : SAFTEY PROBLEMS...

Pacopete4
11-06-2007, 03:07 PM
ok, for years now we have had saftey problems and it seems like no matter who is back there, we fall flat in that position...

I just was hoping to discuss if maybe it is our scheme that is causing the problems more so than the talent because it sure looks like collins and bigby have talent along with rouse.. but it seems as though we are getting exploited in that area and im not just talking about this year...

what does everyone think?

The Leaper
11-06-2007, 03:22 PM
I don't mind the scheme...we just have the wrong players for the scheme.

We don't need run-stuffing safeties. Sure, a physical tackler who can support against the run is a great advantage. However, in a system where the CBs play tight press coverage, it forces the safeties to be able to cover a large portion of the field and have great ball skills to cover up any mistakes made on the edges...as well as the normal responsibilities on any given play. As the last line of defense, safeties more than anything else also need to be SMART.

Collins is OK. He's very athletic and has reasonable ball skills. He can't catch a cold, but he can at least knock passes down to prevent big plays. He's reliable, but won't be a playmaker. His smarts are questionable, but he's seemed to improve with experience to some extent.

Bigby is attrocious. The guy has no coverage skills man-to-man. He also has no ball skills...i.e. finding the ball in the air and playing IT rather than the man. He constantly peeks into the backfield because he thinks he is a LB, not a safety...even in situations where he should have learned long ago to stop peeking. So, he's dumb as rocks.

Granted, he can hammer a LB after a 5 yard gain. Whoopty-do. Giving up big pass plays and incurring penalties far offsets the upside to his physicality.

I'm not sure on Rouse yet...but I think he's more like Bigby than he is like Collins.

MJZiggy
11-06-2007, 03:37 PM
I think we need to even out our collective thinking a little bit. A few weeks ago, Bigby was considered a surprise world beater and now everyone thinks he totally sucks in coverage and is a complete liability. I think we need to center that a little, realize that maybe he's not ready to be classified a minor deity just yet and also consider that he's just earned the starting job a few weeks ago and he still has some growing to do. Let's see what he can do against the Vikes and maybe against the Panthers and take a listen to what the coaches are saying.

As to Collins, let's all remember Marquand "toast me" Manual and I still say that I'd prefer butterfingers over toast there anyday.

Freak Out
11-06-2007, 04:56 PM
Atari needs a little time to settle in...he'll need another ass chewing at some point as well I'm sure. He does seem to be an odd fit for the defense but it's worked for the most part up until now.

Pacopete4
11-06-2007, 06:34 PM
i guess i was just considering not just this year.. but also in years past how much our safteys are struggling no matter who they throw back there..

in a perfect world rouse steps up the player he can be and takes the job and runs with it

Freak Out
11-06-2007, 06:39 PM
i guess i was just considering not just this year.. but also in years past how much our safteys are struggling no matter who they throw back there..

in a perfect world rouse steps up the player he can be and takes the job and runs with it

Earl who? Marqu...what?

The Butler did it!

The Leaper
11-06-2007, 07:30 PM

Manuel was not a coverage guy either...in fact, that was one of his greatest liabilities in every scouting report. It didn't help that he wasn't athletic either.

Sharper was a very good safety (after early struggles) for his first 5-8 years in the league. He offered little in terms of run support (especially as he got older) and was starting to lose a step when we released him. I think Thompson wanted someone physical...which is nice, but I don't see why it is the top priority at safety in this defense.

Most of the other guys we've had back there in the last 6-8 years just have been guys. Not much athletic ability...certainly no playmaking ability. Matt Bowen? Scott Frost? Curtis Fuller? Mark Roman? Anyone else I'm missing? There is just nothing there. Those are all stiffs. They wouldn't work in any scheme.

Pacopete4
11-06-2007, 07:38 PM
check the other thread i started.. i searched kurt schotenheirmer up and found he is the problem... stats over 9-10 seasons and 5 different teams dont lie..

The Shadow
11-06-2007, 08:02 PM
For Minnesota, I'd be tempted to let Peprah roam center field instead of Rouse. He seems to be a savvy player.
The Vikings are not stupid; they will assume we will consistently have 8 in the box (and we are pretty good already at stopping the run).
Look for them to take a number of shots deep - to take advantage of that AND Collins' absense.