PDA

View Full Version : Chance to scout the opponent

Rastak
11-06-2007, 06:16 PM
Vikings-Chargers and Packers-Chiefs are both being replayed tonight on NFLN.

MadtownPacker
11-06-2007, 06:42 PM
What more is there to know? Stop AP, stop the vikings. I don't think the Packer's stopped him last time but the kept him from going crazy like he did against the chargers.

So Rastak, what do you think are the Packers chances on keeping peterson under 100yds?

superfan
11-06-2007, 06:46 PM
It's all on Childress. If he limits AP's carries to under 15 again, the chances of containing him are good.

Somebody needs to leak a previously undetected vulnerability in our pass defense. :)

Rastak
11-06-2007, 06:49 PM
What more is there to know? Stop AP, stop the vikings. I don't think the Packer's stopped him last time but the kept him from going crazy like he did against the chargers.

So Rastak, what do you think are the Packers chances on keeping peterson under 100yds?

If T Jackson starts, very possible. Green Bay has a pretty damn decent defense, although Peterson had almost 100 yards in the first half against the Packers last game and then only carried twice in the second half if I recall.

If the Vikings can get Rice or Williamson deep AND get them the ball I think they have a great shot at Peterson getting a bunch. The Vikings have gotten guys deep in every game but Jackson and Holcomb can't seem to hit them like your man Favre does. If you can't hit it then they don't respect it and the safeties come up. One thing working in Peterson's favor is Collins being out. Man, that dude was the only reason Peterson didn't house it last game. He caught him from behind, although 28 carried him about 15 yards. I know you might say Rouse is a better hitter....man Peterson makes some unreal cuts and then has a 4th gear he hits. You kinda need speed on the edge....hell, even up the middle.

MadtownPacker
11-06-2007, 06:54 PM
I agree about Collins being the last line of defense. I dont know nada about Rouse but I thought someone mentioned him and AP played against each other. Do you know anything about that?

Rastak
11-06-2007, 06:55 PM
I agree about Collins being the last line of defense. I dont know nada about Rouse but I thought someone mentioned him and AP played against each other. Do you know anything about that?

Nope, I don't follow much college football.....just watch the Minnesota Gophers lose each week. I got to see alot of Barber and Maroney!

Bretsky
11-06-2007, 08:31 PM

If GB just gives up 125 and one TD I'd take that in a second

Packers4Ever
11-06-2007, 08:53 PM
It's all on Childress. If he limits AP's carries to under 15 again, the chances of containing him are good.

Somebody needs to leak a previously undetected vulnerability in our pass defense. :)

He can limit all he wants, Superfan! :mrgreen:

Rastak
11-06-2007, 08:57 PM

He can limit all he wants, Superfan! :mrgreen:

Unlikely after last week. :D

esoxx
11-06-2007, 11:10 PM
Play a five man front.

HarveyWallbangers
11-06-2007, 11:12 PM
Still don't understand why Green Bay didn't challenge the potential interception by Nick Collins. A national writer noted that it looked like Collins may have had the interception, but FOX just basically ignored the play after giving one bad angle shot of it. They gave a different shot of it tonight. It was still not a great camera angle, but I think he might have caught that.

mmmdk
11-07-2007, 02:47 AM

If T Jackson starts, very possible. Green Bay has a pretty damn decent defense, although Peterson had almost 100 yards in the first half against the Packers last game and then only carried twice in the second half if I recall.

If the Vikings can get Rice or Williamson deep AND get them the ball I think they have a great shot at Peterson getting a bunch. The Vikings have gotten guys deep in every game but Jackson and Holcomb can't seem to hit them like your man Favre does. If you can't hit it then they don't respect it and the safeties come up. One thing working in Peterson's favor is Collins being out. Man, that dude was the only reason Peterson didn't house it last game. He caught him from behind, although 28 carried him about 15 yards. I know you might say Rouse is a better hitter....man Peterson makes some unreal cuts and then has a 4th gear he hits. You kinda need speed on the edge....hell, even up the middle.

AP will carry the rock more than twice in the second half come sunday.

mmmdk
11-07-2007, 03:15 AM

I agree 100% with Rastak; Collins is being picked on by many PRs but you can't teach speed. Collins do make mistakes but his speed & determination has made up for his bad angles. Collins comes to play yet I agree also that Collins doesn't seize the turnover opportunities thrown at him :oops:

Rouse may be good someday but AP must be licking his chops. Can Packers stop AP? Yes! But AP/Vikings OL are on a roll and everyone on Packers D knows this. It's a psychological war which I hope Packers win. Fact is: Nick Collins and his speed will be missed sunday.

RashanGary
11-07-2007, 06:35 AM
Play a five man front.

I agree. Take Poppinga off the field and replace him iwth KGB.

Play Kamp, Pickett, Jolly, Jenkins and KGB across the line. Maybe activate an extra Dlineman (Montgomery and Cole instead of just one of the two)

Play Barnett and Hawk as the two LB's with Rouse creeping up as the 3rd LB in the box (basically playing a rover type position).

This would be the best formation against the Vikings IMO. Dare them to pass.

Carolina_Packer
11-07-2007, 03:43 PM

If you go back and look at Oklahoma's football schedule for the last few years, it looks like VA Tech and OK never played each other during their respective times at each school.

FritzDontBlitz
11-07-2007, 04:08 PM
Play a five man front.

I was actually musing about such a run defense: call it a "53 Defense" if you like: 5 down linemen, 3 LB's, 2 cornerbacks and one safety. Run it in short yardage situations. Assign outside containment to the DE's, have them make their first step upfield, then if its a pass assign them to cover the flats in a zone (Kampmann and KGB both have the speed and range to play this front - think of each as essentially LB's who start each snap in a 3 point stance). Assign LB Nick Barnett to cover AP if the Vikes check to a pass, Hawk takes TE, Poppy either spies or covers TE/FB depending on the formation. Chuck and Al cover two top wideouts, safety either mans up on the 3rd wideout or plays deep 1/3rd to take away the deep pass. At each snap, think run first/pass second. Or, you could just go with two inside LB's, assign the DE's LB responsibilities as I have previously mentioned, substitute a second safety for the 3rd LB and call it a "52."

Not that you'd run it every down, you'd still exercise your options to use your base 4-3, nickel and dime packages when necessary. But, it throws something new at the Vikes and may limit AP's success. I don't think you can shut him down completely, but better backs have been shutdown before (remember the 1993 playoff game where the Packers held Barry Sanders to -1 yards rushing?).

The offense's responsibility would primarily be clock management and ball control: work the play clock down as far as you can before every play, utilize a balanced pass/run attack where even on the pass completions the receivers stay in bounds if they can, and most of all keep the miscues to a minimum and of course SCORE POINTS. AP can't score if the Vikes don't have the ball, so keep it away from him as much as possible. Once you build a big enough lead and enough time evaporates the Vikes will have to go to the pass if they have any hopes of catching up, so it limits AP's touches even more.

Yes, I know: AP returns kicks too. Just don't kick it to him (duh). No one in their right minds kicks to Devin Hester anymore, so employ the same strategy: angle all punts out of bounds, have Mason Crosby squib it as often as possible and/or kick it through the uprights when the wind is at his back (Crosby definitely has enough leg to do this as well).

Its gonna be a damn exciting game whatever the outcome, but I predict a Packers win because its easier to stop a running game (1 guy) than it is to shut down a prolific passing game (6 guys - 1 QB, 5 receivers). At worst I see Green Bay winning in a shootout.