PDA

View Full Version : Rouse

arcilite
11-06-2007, 10:30 PM
He will be fine. I've watched him the last couple years here at Tech, I just goto school about 10 minutes away from VT. Remember he has played on the nations top defense in college football for a couple years. He is a very big man and a very hard hitter.

Only drawback is that me and my friends would joke how he is usually good for one personal foul a game.

BallHawk
11-06-2007, 10:32 PM
Well, if he wants to prove his worth on the team, now would be a great time.

We all know he can hit, but can he cover?

Freak Out
11-06-2007, 10:32 PM
....better not screw this up.

Lurker64
11-06-2007, 11:28 PM
So long as he's not indecisive and plays like he's looking to knock the other guy's head off, he should be fine against Minnesota. I liked the way Rouse laid the wood in the preseason. But I really hope we have Collins back for Detroit and Dallas.

esoxx
11-06-2007, 11:30 PM
Not a fan.

HarveyWallbangers
11-06-2007, 11:48 PM
Intriguing potential. Not sure he's ready. I liked Peprah in the preseason, so the fact that Rouse is the guy they want to plug in there at least gives me hope that Rouse has showed the coaches something in practice.

cheesner
11-06-2007, 11:48 PM
He will be fine. I've watched him the last couple years here at Tech, I just goto school about 10 minutes away from VT. Remember he has played on the nations top defense in college football for a couple years. He is a very big man and a very hard hitter.

Only drawback is that me and my friends would joke how he is usually good for one personal foul a game.There is a world of difference between college and pro.

That being said, I think this young man has a lot of upside to him. He has played well in the little action he has seen. However, the Vikes will have an entire week to plan their offensive attack and may find something to exploit in his game. On the positive side, the Vikes have Childress at coach and Tavarious Jackson at QB. Thats like having a dwarf telling an midget how to slam dunk a basketball.

PaCkFan_n_MD
11-07-2007, 06:24 AM
Lets just say were lucky were playing the Vikings this week. If we were playing a pass happy offense, Rouse would be picked on constantly.

The Leaper
11-07-2007, 08:08 AM
Having Rouse and Bigby manning the safety positions scares the hell out of me. I expect the Vikings to have an above average passing day.

Freak Out
11-07-2007, 11:35 AM
Having Rouse and Bigby manning the safety positions scares the hell out of me. I expect the Vikings to have an above average passing day.

You have to sell out against the run with that line and AP back there so getting burned with a long pass/run is possible....add two rookies to the mix and look out.

3irty1
11-07-2007, 11:39 AM
I think Rouse might be the answer to covering a tight end . He's super big and fast so it doesn't bother me at all that he'll be out there this week.

I'll already admit that I plan to judge him based solely on this weeks game and I might very well fabricate a permanent opinion on him after Sunday.

Rastak
11-07-2007, 11:53 AM
I think Rouse might be the answer to covering a tight end . He's super big and fast so it doesn't bother me at all that he'll be out there this week.

I'll already admit that I plan to judge him based solely on this weeks game and I might very well fabricate a permanent opinion on him after Sunday.

How fast is Rouse?

edit: Scratch that, he's a 4.58 40 guy per espn. That's think that's just a little faster than Minnesota TE Shiancoe.

HarveyWallbangers
11-07-2007, 12:07 PM

How fast is Rouse?

Fast. Not quite as fast as Collins, but well above average--especially for somebody who is 6'4". His measurables aren't the problem. Supposedly, he had a great junior year and poor senior year. We'll see which guy shows up in the pros.

Aaron Rouse
Position: Safety
School: Virginia Tech
Height: 6-4
Weight: 215
40-Yard Dash: 4.40

Positives:
Aaron Rouse’s physical presence is almost unnatural. Based on his size and speed alone many projected Rouse as a late first rounder before the beginning of the 2006 season. Some NFL scouts dubbed him as “the best player that you’ve never heard of.”

In his 2005 campaign with the Hokies, Rouse led the team in tackles, taking snaps at both safety and whip linebacker. Rouse gravitated to the role of leader after the fiasco that was the Gator Bowl (Jimmy Williams’ ejection and StompGate). He rallied the team, and began the season as the undisputed owner of Foster’s lunchpale (the trophy for defensive leader).

Rouse’s versatility in stopping the run and sound coverage ability helped to ear mark the Hokies as one of the best defenses coming into the 2006 season. As a reward for his outstanding play he was moved to the coveted “rover” position in Bud Foster’s defense.

Negatives:

The 2006 season. Rouse began the season as arguably the best safety in the country. However, once the time came to play a meaningful game, Rouse was no where to be found. Georgia Tech picked apart the Hokie secondary and not all of it was Calvin Johnson. Assigning Rouse to the Georgia Tech receiving corps was too much.

Things only got worse as Rouse was pitiful in the very next game against Boston College. He loafed around the field and ended the night on the bench before engaging in a heated argument with fellow teammates Vince Hall and Brandon Flowers. After the poor back-to-back performances Rouse lost sole ownership of the rover position to another senior, Cary Wade. Since then, Rouse has improved his tackling and put in more effort. However, the two seniors still continue to split time.

Overview:

What happened? Rouse’s play and behavior mark a 180-degree turn from the 2005 season. There are some talented safeties in this year's draft and Rouse did himself a major disservice by playing so poorly. LaRon Landry and Brandon Meriweather already had a healthy lead coming into the season, but many saw Rouse as the dark horse that might steal the crown.
The good news for the Norfolk native is he has unmatched size and strength. Also helping Rouse is the recent talent of Virginia Tech defensive backs in the NFL (DeAngelo Hall, Jimmy Williams, and Eric Green, all of whom Rouse played with in Blacksburg). Nonetheless, those late first-round dreams are all but forgotten.

Rouse’s attitude will be of major concern. That same issue haunted his former teammate, Jimmy Williams, in the 2006 draft, where he slid from a sure top-15 pick all the way into the meat of the second round. Barring jaw-dropping numbers from the combine, the same slide is likely to plague Rouse.

Projection: Third Round

Rastak
11-07-2007, 12:08 PM

How fast is Rouse?

Fast. Not quite as fast as Collins, but well above average--especially for somebody who is 6'4". His measurables aren't the problem. Supposedly, he had a great junior year and poor senior year. We'll see which guy shows up in the pros.

Aaron Rouse
Position: Safety
School: Virginia Tech
Height: 6-4
Weight: 215
40-Yard Dash: 4.40

Positives:
Aaron Rouse’s physical presence is almost unnatural. Based on his size and speed alone many projected Rouse as a late first rounder before the beginning of the 2006 season. Some NFL scouts dubbed him as “the best player that you’ve never heard of.”

In his 2005 campaign with the Hokies, Rouse led the team in tackles, taking snaps at both safety and whip linebacker. Rouse gravitated to the role of leader after the fiasco that was the Gator Bowl (Jimmy Williams’ ejection and StompGate). He rallied the team, and began the season as the undisputed owner of Foster’s lunchpale (the trophy for defensive leader).

Rouse’s versatility in stopping the run and sound coverage ability helped to ear mark the Hokies as one of the best defenses coming into the 2006 season. As a reward for his outstanding play he was moved to the coveted “rover” position in Bud Foster’s defense.

Negatives:

The 2006 season. Rouse began the season as arguably the best safety in the country. However, once the time came to play a meaningful game, Rouse was no where to be found. Georgia Tech picked apart the Hokie secondary and not all of it was Calvin Johnson. Assigning Rouse to the Georgia Tech receiving corps was too much.

Things only got worse as Rouse was pitiful in the very next game against Boston College. He loafed around the field and ended the night on the bench before engaging in a heated argument with fellow teammates Vince Hall and Brandon Flowers. After the poor back-to-back performances Rouse lost sole ownership of the rover position to another senior, Cary Wade. Since then, Rouse has improved his tackling and put in more effort. However, the two seniors still continue to split time.

Overview:

What happened? Rouse’s play and behavior mark a 180-degree turn from the 2005 season. There are some talented safeties in this year's draft and Rouse did himself a major disservice by playing so poorly. LaRon Landry and Brandon Meriweather already had a healthy lead coming into the season, but many saw Rouse as the dark horse that might steal the crown.
The good news for the Norfolk native is he has unmatched size and strength. Also helping Rouse is the recent talent of Virginia Tech defensive backs in the NFL (DeAngelo Hall, Jimmy Williams, and Eric Green, all of whom Rouse played with in Blacksburg). Nonetheless, those late first-round dreams are all but forgotten.

Rouse’s attitude will be of major concern. That same issue haunted his former teammate, Jimmy Williams, in the 2006 draft, where he slid from a sure top-15 pick all the way into the meat of the second round. Barring jaw-dropping numbers from the combine, the same slide is likely to plague Rouse.

Projection: Third Round

He is big.....if he's a 4.40 then he is very fast for a big guy.......espn indicated 4.58.

HarveyWallbangers
11-07-2007, 12:09 PM

How fast is Rouse?

edit: Scratch that, he's a 4.58 40 guy per espn. That's think that's just a little faster than Minnesota TE Shiancoe.

He ran 4.52 and 4.58 at the combine. Then, he ran 4.31 at his campus workout. Probably a fast track. I'd think he's probably in the 4.4s range. I know from watching the combine that sometimes guys slip or are nervous, and that doesn't really come through in the times. Similar thing happened to Koren Robinson. He ran in the low 4.6s at the combine, but then came back and ran in the 4.4s at his workout.

Rastak
11-07-2007, 12:11 PM

How fast is Rouse?

He ran 4.52 and 4.58 at the combine. Then, he ran 4.31 at his campus workout. Probably a fast track. I'd think he's probably in the 4.4s range. I know from watching the combine that sometimes guys slip or are nervous, and that doesn't really come through in the times. Similar thing happened to Koren Robinson. He ran in the low 4.6s at the combine, but then came back and ran in the 4.4s at his workout.

That would certainly make him an interesting prospect. I had no idea he was that fast.

HarveyWallbangers
11-07-2007, 12:12 PM
I really haven't seen the guy much, so I don't know what kind of football speed he has. I do know that he was praised for his incredible size/speed ratio, but was downgraded for having a poor senior year after having a great junior year.

HarveyWallbangers
11-07-2007, 12:15 PM
CAMPUS AGILITY TESTS
4.31 in the 40-yard dash...370-pound bench press...605-pound back squat...360-pound push jerk...360-pound power clean...35-inch vertical jump...33 3/8-inch arm length...9-inch hands...Right-handed.

COMBINE AGILITY TESTS
4.55 in the 40-yard dash...1.59 10-yard dash...2.64 20-yard dash...35-inch vertical jump... Bench pressed 225 pounds 16 times.

He has small hands.
:D

Rastak
11-07-2007, 12:16 PM
I really haven't seen the guy much, so I don't know what kind of football speed he has. I do know that he was praised for his incredible size/speed ratio, but was downgraded for having a poor senior year after having a great junior year.

So was Marcus McCauley and overall he's been decent as a pro. Some ups and downs but made a couple really nice plays Sunday. You won't know till he gets some snaps I guess.

Merlin
11-07-2007, 12:59 PM
Rouse has the right team at the right time to make a statement. Who is going to challenge him from the Vikings? Unless Peterson is lined up at WR, I'll take my chance with Rouse on Ferguson.