PDA

View Full Version : This guy rips the Eagles a new one.

Rastak
11-07-2007, 06:02 AM
Tuesday, November 06, 2007
BY MARK ECKEL
STAFF COLUMNIST
PHILADELPHIA -- Before the Eagles blow up their ros ter from this 2007 disaster, and you know that's inevitable, they should blow up the personnel department who put it together.

If the Eagles are going to rebuild, and that's what it looks like as the team heads into the second half of the season with more wins than just St. Louis, Atlanta and San Francisco in the NFC, are the people who brought you Darren Howard and Jevon Kearse, the ones who drafted Winston Justice, Matt McCoy and Jeremy Bloom the ones you want to do it?

It's not a coincidence that since Tom Modrak and Mike McCartney were shown the door to a Nova Care Complex they never got a chance to work in, and Andy Reid became executive in charge of everything, the personnel department has suffered.

Reid's first move, the hiring of Tom Heckert (after several people said no) was the first in the long line of bad decisions.

Since Heckert arrived from Miami, and how is that team in South Florida that he and his dad built doing these days? Winless, you say, no surprise here.

Heckert wouldn't know talent if it walked into his office, and it would have to walk into his office since he never leaves the building.

See, all the great general managers of our time, Ron Wolf, George Young, Bobby Beathard had it wrong. You don't go out to college campuses and meet players and coaches to judge talent. You stay home, watch TV and make sure the big fellow gets his lunch on time.

At least he's doing that last thing well, because the big fellow hasn't missed many lunches.

Heckert's first moves as his title climbed from director of personnel to general manager were to get rid of any scout who even knew Modrak's name.

So Marc Ross, the mastermind behind the Eagles last good draft in 2002, and who is now overseeing the Giants scouting department, was fired and replaced by one of Heckert's cronies Jason Licht. Good scouts such as Dave Boller, now with Tampa, Richard Shelton, now with Tennessee, Rashaan Curry, now with Arizona and Jim Monos, now with New Orleans, were also canned as the new guy in charge filled the spots with "his people."

And that's why the Eagles' cur rent roster the one that is 3-5 on the way to 5-11, or maybe 6-10, looks as it does.

It's why the 2003 draft produced one player -- tight end L.J. Smith, who is playing his last year with the team. It's why the 2004 draft has guard Shawn Andrews and no one else worth a darn.

The Eagles' spin doctors, those both on and off their payroll and it's hard to tell which is which sometimes, brag about all the starters from the 2005 draft (six in all). But the truth is they are start ers on a team that is 3-5 and is win less in the division.

It's too soon to judge the past two drafts, but are you confident in anything this team does anymore? Nearly half of the 2007 draft has already been cut, and the other half can't get on the field.

The pro moves have been worse, a lot worse.

And that's not easy to be.

Kearse -- and this one we think came from team president Joe Banner as well as Reid, Heckert and everyone else in the organization -- has been the most overpaid and biggest disappointment, maybe in team history.

Howard has been worse.

Stunned during the start of free agency in 2006 when center Le Charles Bentley reneged on a ver bal deal and signed with Cleveland, the Eagles felt they had to do something. Enter Howard whose best days were long behind him.

In Sunday night's nationally-televised 38-17 loss to Dallas, the third prime time humiliation this season, Kearse and Howard combined for zero tackles. That's zero.

The Cowboys ran 57 plays (and gained 434 yards) and neither Kearse nor Howard was involved in any of them.

Tight end Matt Schobel, defensive tackle Ian Scott, cornerback Will James, and even linebacker Takeo Spikes, still looking for his first play as an Eagle after being ac quired from Buffalo in a trade, are the other name free agents this personnel department has sought out and signed
Here's an exercise for you to do in your spare time. Go over the Eagles' current 53-man roster and circle the good players -- not solid players, not players the Eagles tell you are good -- the truly good players.

If you get to 10, you circled too many.

Then go over players who probably shouldn't be on the roster, or any other roster. When your hand gets tired, you're done.
Just like the Eagles.

Contact Mark Eckel at

meck el@njtimes.com

sepporepi
11-07-2007, 06:29 AM
Funny, but he seems to be right.

I remember after their Super Bowl appearence when they had about 10 draft choices I thaught: "How does anyone in the NFC can overtake them, when they have 10+ darft picks each year and are already the best?"

But fortunately they found a way :P

Cleft Crusty
11-07-2007, 07:46 AM
BY MARK ECKEL
STAFF COLUMNIST
PHILADELPHIA --

Since Heckert arrived from Miami, and how is that team in South Florida that he and his dad built doing these days? Winless, you say, no surprise here.

Contact Mark Eckel at

meck el@njtimes.com

Go back and circle all the grammatical mistakes in the column. When you get to 20, you're done, just like Mark Eckel. How does this guy keep his job, with such crappy writing? (he is right about the personnel department, though).

The Leaper
11-07-2007, 08:33 AM
I think there is a grain of truth in what he says...but I that team has plenty of issues right now. This same roster, more or less, looked pretty good for much of last season. Was this writer ripping on them after their 4-1 start last year? Despite an injury to McNabb, Garcia stepped in (he was a pretty damn good pickup) and led the team to a 10-6 record with 4 or 5 straight wins to end the season. Their losses came against good teams too...mostly playoff teams I believe. They won a playoff game, and came close to beating NO to go to the NFCC game.

I'm sorry...but you can't harp on the roster when it more or less proved it was playoff caliber last season. There is more to this than simply bad roster moves, and I lay nearly all of that blame on Reid. The guy should not be coaching right now. It is painfully obvious that his family situation is distracting him. The team is not prepared. The team looks nothing like the team it has been in the past. Reid can't keep his own house in order apparently...and that is starting to also seep into the Eagles clubhouse.

Someone needs to step up and tell Reid to move away from football and get his family life in order.

Giving any head coach additional responsibilities is DUMB, DUMB, DUMB. An NFL head coach simply doing that job alone works 80 hours a week. To even think that they have the capacity to do anything else...let alone do it well...is outside the realm of logic. How many utter failures in that experiment will it take before NFL owners figure that out?

Deputy Nutz
11-07-2007, 09:56 AM
The biggest problem is that Reid is the Head Coach and the team' s Vice President. The organization has all their eggs in one basket, and that never seems to work out well.

BallHawk
11-07-2007, 11:07 AM
The organization has all their eggs in one basket, and that never seems to work out well.

Unintentional pun?

:wink:

Chester Marcol
11-07-2007, 11:33 AM
Giving any head coach additional responsibilities is DUMB, DUMB, DUMB. An NFL head coach simply doing that job alone works 80 hours a week. To even think that they have the capacity to do anything else...let alone do it well...is outside the realm of logic.

At least he delegated the running of the crack house to his kids. He's not quite the megalomaniac you have him out to be.

Seriously, how can that situation not impact Reid. Do you think he's doing his best coaching these days?

Merlin
11-07-2007, 01:53 PM
Has anyone ever been successful as a head coach with another title like GM, VP or anything like that?

The only ones that come to mind are:
Bill Parcells
Mike Sherman
Mike Holmgren
Andy Reid
Joe Gibbs (?)

Carolina_Packer
11-07-2007, 02:06 PM
Has anyone ever been successful as a head coach with another title like GM, VP or anything like that?

Bill Parcells
Mike Sherman
Mike Holmgren
Andy Reid
Joe Gibbs (?)

Holmgren really wasn't all that good at the dual-role. Seems like once they relieved him of the GM duties, the team got better.

Mike Sherman was out of his element as a GM. I hated giving him the dual-role, as I do in general. As someone else said, the HC job is a full-time job as it is. Why cheat one or the other job by combining them? Mike Sherman may have won games and had some good records, but he never properly addressed the defensive need the team had, and made too many blunders on drafting/free agency. He fired himself as HC with his performance as GM.

Andy Reid not so much.

Joe Gibbs, I have no idea if he's in charge, but you have to wonder sometimes if he's happy he came back. Sure, he got a lot of money, but he didn't NEED the payday as he's very success with NASCAR.

How about Mike Shanahan? I think he's running the show in Denver. They've made the playoffs since Elway, but he was the dual-role when they were winning Super Bowls, I believe.

Tarlam!
11-07-2007, 02:09 PM

Bill Parcells
Mike Sherman
Mike Holmgren
Andy Reid
Joe Gibbs (?)

This is a startling post. IIRC, the article is about Reid, so, he can't be considered a success.

Holmgren had a SB visit, but was he still both at the time?

Shermie, a success? Sorry, you just outted yourself completely.

Can't really comment on the other two; I read most orf my football news on here, and they aren't really talked about too much.

Tarlam!
11-07-2007, 02:11 PM
Holmgren really wasn't all that good at the dual-role.

Ya beat me to the gun, CP!! :D

Zool
11-07-2007, 02:23 PM

Bill Parcells
Mike Sherman
Mike Holmgren
Andy Reid
Joe Gibbs (?)

This is a startling post. IIRC, the article is about Reid, so, he can't be considered a success.

Holmgren had a SB visit, but was he still both at the time?

Shermie, a success? Sorry, you just outted yourself completely.

Can't really comment on the other two; I read most orf my football news on here, and they aren't really talked about too much.

I think he was just listing all available not successful.

I dont believe that Shanahan won the SB in his dual role. Reid got there, and got to 4 straight NFC championship games. I would consider that a success. Im not sure where Parcells had dual control. Maybe in Dallas? If so that was in name only. Jones pulls a lot of the strings down there.

Carolina_Packer
11-07-2007, 02:49 PM
Jimmy Johnson when he was with Dallas. With the Dolphins? Hmm.

The way Merlin phrased that, it seemed like he was listing successful HC/GM combos, but you may be right, Zool. How about the all-time HC/GM...Vince Lombardi!

Noodle
11-07-2007, 03:19 PM
When Gibbs was winning with the Skins, he was not the GM. Bobby Beathard, one of the all time greats, handled GM duties, and was followed by the much less sucessful Charley Casserly. So Gibbs didn't shop for the groceries when they were winning those SBs.

However, Bill Walsh had the GM and HC duties from 1982 until he left coaching in 1990 (he was also team President from 1985 to 1990). He didn't draft Montana, but he did ok with some guys named Lott and Rice.

Zool
11-07-2007, 03:33 PM
When Gibbs was winning with the Skins, he was not the GM. Bobby Beathard, one of the all time greats, handled GM duties, and was followed by the much less sucessful Charley Casserly. So Gibbs didn't shop for the groceries when they were winning those SBs.

However, Bill Walsh had the GM and HC duties from 1982 until he left coaching in 1990 (he was also team President from 1985 to 1990). He didn't draft Montana, but he did ok with some guys named Lott and Rice.

Isnt Gibbs the HC/GM now with Snyder playing the part of Jerry Jones?