PDA

View Full Version : Packers vs. Lions - Schedule

HarveyWallbangers
11-07-2007, 01:17 PM
Turkey Day classic in works

The chase for the NFC North title appears to be a two-horse race between the Packers (7-1) and Lions (6-2). The Thanksgiving Day matchup between the two teams has the makings of a classic. By then, the Packers could be 9-1 and the Lions 8-2. Not since 1962 would both teams be sporting such gaudy records for a Turkey Day shootout.

In 1962, Vince Lombardi’s Packers took a 10-0 record into Detroit to face the 8-2 Lions. Behind Alex Karras and the sack-happy Detroit defense, the Packers took a beating and lost 26-14. It turned out to be the Packers’ only loss of the season. They posted a 13-1 regular-season record and won the NFL title over the New York Giants 16-7. The Lions finished 12-3, including a victory in the now-defunct Playoff Bowl for third place over Pittsburgh.

More recently, the Packers and Lions battled for the NFC Central Division title in 1993. The Lions were crowned champions when they beat the Packers 30-20 in the final game of the regular season. The Packers got revenge a week later when they defeated Detroit in a playoff game at the Silverdome 28-24 on Brett Favre’s last-minute touchdown pass to Sterling Sharpe.

The Lions haven’t won a division title or playoff game in the 14 years since, and haven’t qualified for the post-season since 1999.

This season is shaping up as another down-to-the wire battle for the division title between the Packers and Lions. Regardless of how the Thanksgiving Day game turns out, the Packers-Lions game on Dec. 30 at Lambeau Field could have huge implications, with first place in the NFC North on the line.

Here’s a look at the schedules of the Packers and Lions in the second half of the season:

Packers schedule
Vikings (3-5)
Panthers (4-4)
@ Lions (6-2)
@ Cowboys (7-1)
Raiders (2-6)
@ Rams (0-8)
@ Bears (3-5)
Lions (6-2)

Lions schedule
@ Cardinals (3-5)
Giants (6-2)
Packers (7-1)
@ Vikings (3-5)
Cowboys (7-1)
@ Chargers (4-4)
Chiefs (4-4)
@ Packers (7-1)

The Packers appear to have a significant advantage, based on the records of their opponents. The combined record of the Packers’ foes is 31-33, while the record of the Lions’ opponents is 41-23. Four of the Packers’ opponents have losing records, while only two of the Lions’ eight opponents have losing records.

-- Mike Vandermause, mvandermause@greenbaypressgazette.com

mmmdk
11-07-2007, 01:29 PM
Turkey Day classic in works

The chase for the NFC North title appears to be a two-horse race between the Packers (7-1) and Lions (6-2). The Thanksgiving Day matchup between the two teams has the makings of a classic. By then, the Packers could be 9-1 and the Lions 8-2. Not since 1962 would both teams be sporting such gaudy records for a Turkey Day shootout.

In 1962, Vince Lombardi’s Packers took a 10-0 record into Detroit to face the 8-2 Lions. Behind Alex Karras and the sack-happy Detroit defense, the Packers took a beating and lost 26-14. It turned out to be the Packers’ only loss of the season. They posted a 13-1 regular-season record and won the NFL title over the New York Giants 16-7. The Lions finished 12-3, including a victory in the now-defunct Playoff Bowl for third place over Pittsburgh.

More recently, the Packers and Lions battled for the NFC Central Division title in 1993. The Lions were crowned champions when they beat the Packers 30-20 in the final game of the regular season. The Packers got revenge a week later when they defeated Detroit in a playoff game at the Silverdome 28-24 on Brett Favre’s last-minute touchdown pass to Sterling Sharpe.

The Lions haven’t won a division title or playoff game in the 14 years since, and haven’t qualified for the post-season since 1999.

This season is shaping up as another down-to-the wire battle for the division title between the Packers and Lions. Regardless of how the Thanksgiving Day game turns out, the Packers-Lions game on Dec. 30 at Lambeau Field could have huge implications, with first place in the NFC North on the line.

Here’s a look at the schedules of the Packers and Lions in the second half of the season:

Packers schedule
Vikings (3-5)
Panthers (4-4)
@ Lions (6-2)
@ Cowboys (7-1)
Raiders (2-6)
@ Rams (0-8)
@ Bears (3-5)
Lions (6-2)

Lions schedule
@ Cardinals (3-5)
Giants (6-2)
Packers (7-1)
@ Vikings (3-5)
Cowboys (7-1)
@ Chargers (4-4)
Chiefs (4-4)
@ Packers (7-1)

The Packers appear to have a significant advantage, based on the records of their opponents. The combined record of the Packers’ foes is 31-33, while the record of the Lions’ opponents is 41-23. Four of the Packers’ opponents have losing records, while only two of the Lions’ eight opponents have losing records.

-- Mike Vandermause, mvandermause@greenbaypressgazette.com

I'd say that Lions, by far, has the toughest remaining schedule. Lions will have to sweep the Packers to take the NFC North. I see no easy games for the Lions. Packers do have Raiders & Panthers at home plus at Rams. Rams will be difficult though - really! Packers should crush the Panthers whom I consider overrated.

swede
11-07-2007, 01:35 PM

Packers schedule
Vikings (3-5)
Panthers (4-4)
@ Lions (6-2)
@ Cowboys (7-1)
Raiders (2-6)
@ Rams (0-8)
@ Bears (3-5)
Lions (6-2)

Lions schedule
@ Cardinals (3-5)
Giants (6-2)
Packers (7-1)
@ Vikings (3-5)
Cowboys (7-1)
@ Chargers (4-4)
Chiefs (4-4)
@ Packers (7-1)

I see two more potential losses for us and at least four for them.

Giants, Cowboys, Packers, Chiefs, and even the Chargers and Vikings all look pretty dangerous for the Lions.

The Cowboys and the Turkey day game worry me the most as far as the Packers are concerned.

(Edit) If Detroit manages to get through the rest of the season with only two more losses than they are way, way better than I have thought them to be.

mmmdk
11-07-2007, 02:14 PM

Packers schedule
Vikings (3-5)
Panthers (4-4)
@ Lions (6-2)
@ Cowboys (7-1)
Raiders (2-6)
@ Rams (0-8)
@ Bears (3-5)
Lions (6-2)

Lions schedule
@ Cardinals (3-5)
Giants (6-2)
Packers (7-1)
@ Vikings (3-5)
Cowboys (7-1)
@ Chargers (4-4)
Chiefs (4-4)
@ Packers (7-1)

I see two more potential losses for us and at least four for them.

Giants, Cowboys, Packers, Chiefs, and even the Chargers and Vikings all look pretty dangerous for the Lions.

The Cowboys and the Turkey day game worry me the most as far as the Packers are concerned.

(Edit) If Detroit manages to get through the rest of the season with only two more losses than they are way, way better than I have thought them to be.

I'm worried by AP; he can beat the Packers. Scary. Also, I agree that at Cowboys and the turkey game are the most daunting. Lions have 8 killer games left with at Cardinals being the lightest game.

Lurker64
11-07-2007, 02:56 PM
I'm worried by AP; he can beat the Packers. Scary.

Thankfully, he can also beat the Lions, which Minnesota also plays once more. It'll be weird to cheer for Minnesota against Detroit, but I'm willing to give it a shot.

The Leaper
11-07-2007, 03:18 PM
That is a wicked remaining schedule for Detroit. KC is the weakest team they face at home...and their road games aren't cake either.

I'm thinking Detroit goes 10-6 at best, so we need to play .500 ball the rest of the way to win the division. That probably will also be good enough to earn a first round bye.