PDA

View Full Version : Silverstein Chat : 11/06/07

motife
11-07-2007, 05:14 PM
TUESDAY, Nov. 6, chat transcript
Tom Silverstein
Journal Sentinel Packers/NFL beat writer

Tom Silverstein answered questions about the team in our weekly Packer Insider chat.

Q: Mark Jones of Amarillo, TX - Hi Tom, During the game the other day, Favre completed a pass to Lee for a long gain and then proceeded to hurry the team to the line for a quick play, when I felt he had plenty of time - over 2 minutes left in the half - his next play was a bad pass to Morency, incomplete, then the next play was a 2 yard loss handoff to Grant. Two wasted plays. My point is that sometimes Green Bay seems to lack communication in the Red Zone. I didn't understand the rush to get a play off. Any explanation?

A: Tom Silverstein - Good evening everyone. There are a lot of questions posted tonight so I'll try to get to as many as possible. I'm going to avoid repeating subjects, so I apologize if I skip over your question. Let's get started. Mark: I have to admit I don't recall him rushing the team to the line after that play, but I do recall him going no-huddle for one play during the game. I think sometimes he does it to take advantage of personnel matchups. He might have not wanted Kansas City to bring in different personnel or he may have just been trying to speed up the tempo.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Q: Paul of Glendale, CA - Hi Tom, thanks for the chat. I think most of us, did not expect the offense to be so effective in the passing game. I thought maybe the O-line with 1 year of experience of Zone blocking would have improved over last year, but it has not, especially Colledge. But watching this team this last sunday, I thought the defense would be playing better. Their defense is very solid but they lack that one player on the line to wreck havoc throughout the game. I thought in preseason that one player was Cullen Jenkins, because he was amazing then. But he hasn't been like that after the season started. What do you think of the Packer's defense?

A: Tom Silverstein - They don't have a Reggie White or Julius Peppers or Dwight Freeney, so there's no telling how offenses will block them. Kampman is pretty consistent getting to the quarterback and is probably the closest to that model. Jenkins has been banged up and isn't playing at full strength. Overall, I think the defense is strong. Their third-down efficiency is remarkable. They give up a lot of yards, but they don't give up a lot of points. That's basically all you can ask for from a defense.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Q: Josh Ike of Madison, Wisconsin - Tom, I appreciate your time answering our questions. I've got a couple for you, starting with: 1) Will the Packers success this year while being young, pay dividends when the team begins to mature? 2) Based on the remaining schedule, how many wins can the Packers pull out, will it be enough for the Post-season, if so do the Packers have a legitimate opportunity to represent the NFC?

A: Tom Silverstein - I don't think you can make an argument that they won't make the playoffs. It would be one of the worst collapses in recent history if they didn't. They can be a 12-win team if things continue to go well and they stay away from multiple injuries. As for the future, don't count on anything. A good team one year can go bad the next. That's the way the NFL is. The Packers are riding a hot Favre, who is playing efficiently and getting the ball to his receivers. But none of the young players is an undisputable Pro Bowl candidate. They still have a lot of holes and I think there are still question marks regarding the young offensive linemen, Jarrett Bush, Atari Bigby, James Jones, Justin Harrell, etc...
Q: John Kallio of Clifton, VA - Tom, I hear a lot of the players on this team talking about the "chemistry" amongst the players. Barnett said he's having the most fun playing since college. How much of a difference does the chemistry of the locker room translate to output on the field? How much of the chemistry amongst the players can be attributed to McCarthy?

A: Tom Silverstein - The one thing McCarthy has done is created an atmosphere where there is unspoken tension. If he's unhappy with the way someone is playing he lets them know it. You can see it in his news conferences. He's not afraid to identify players who screwed up. Everyone is accountable, even Brett Favre. I can't ever remember Mike Sherman standing up to Favre. That in itself sends a powerful message to the team who is in charge. McCarthy continually sends that message.
Q: Paul of Missoula - Tom-The packs season has been unbelievably exciting and successful-however why didnt they at least try to jam Gonzolaz at the line earlier in the game and why use Kampman and not a linebacker when they did try?You guys have alot more knowledge of the schemes used than I and I just cant understand why they didnt try to be more physical with him rather than let him run freely into his routes as he was single handedly almost beating them --thanks for your insight

A: Tom Silverstein - I wish I could tell you I knew a lot about schemes, but I'm limited in my knowledge as well. I agree that they need to start being more physical with receivers, but you have to consider the options. Bigby is the ideal candidate, but he's not well-schooled in bump and run coverage. You could put Woodson on him, but Gonzalez is just going to muscle him. You'd like Hawk or Poppinga to be physical with him, but he'll run right by them if they miss. I can't figure out why they can't come up with a better plan for tight ends, but I do know if they don't Jason Witten is going to scored six touchdown against them when they play Dallas.
Q: Jesse of Atlanta - Tom, Two questions: How many games this year have the Packers been the underdog and won? Do you think if Tony Romo were the Packer's quarterback this year, he could lead them to a 7-1 record as Favre has?

A: Tom Silverstein - By my records, the Packers have been underdogs in five games and they've won them all. In their only loss, against Chicago, they were three-point favorites. Romo's an outstanding quarterback and he benefits from having a very good receiving corps and tight end. I think the record would be similar.
Q: Lawrence Sena of Onalaska, WI - Hey Tom, thanks for the great chats! Isn't it great that the Packers still have a lot of space under the salary cap? They've locked up Donald Lee, and now they can lock up Jennings, Jones, and other studs. Isn't it great that they didn't spend all that money on those mediocre (or cancerous) free agents? Ted Thompson is looking pretty smart right now, don't you think??

A: Tom Silverstein - He definitely took the right path. But I don't think this season should be used as an argument not to use free agency. Don't forget, Charles Woodson and Ryan Pickett were free agents. The cap room doesn't mean much unless you have a lot of players about to become free agents or you intend to spend it. I don't see that happening for the Packers in either case. If the Packers are lucky enough to make it deep into the playoffs, Thompson is going to have to consider adding an impact free agent that can put them over the top. Look what free agency and trades have done for New England.
Q: Mike D. of Mequon, WI - A.J. Hawk has been in coverage a lot this year despite his above average blitzing ability. Is he still playing at a pro bowl level this year even though he may not have outstanding statistics?

A: Tom Silverstein - He hasn't played at a Pro Bowl level ever. He's been solid and made a very good interception Sunday. He gets his share of blitzing opportunities and does a decent job but he's not trashing running backs on his way to the quarterback. I think he's a good, solid player for the defense he's playing in. Pro Bowl players make big plays and have to be schemed against. No opponent is that worried about him at this point.
Q: Rich of Dayton - Tom: Are the Packers doing anything relative to extending Corey Williams contract? Thanks for the chat.

A: Tom Silverstein - As of right now, they've had very preliminary discussions. I think you can bank on Williams going to free agency. He's have a terrific year and he knows he can cash in. The Packers drafted Justin Harrell in part because they knew Williams might want more than they're offering
Q: Brewhawk of Iowa City - Tom, Is this the year of the quarterback in the NFL? We sure have seen some exciting play from that position this year - Brady, Manning, Favre, Roethlisberger - when it seems like the receivers and backs have been the big playmakers the last few years.

A: Tom Silverstein - It certainly seems that way, although where's Carson Palmer and Matt Hasselbeck? I think these things go in cycles. The guys who are having the best years are the most experienced - with the exception of Roethlisberger, although he's been to a Super Bowl. To me the biggest surprise is the lack of impact from the runnings, except, of course, the guy the Packers play on Sunday.
Q: Kevin of Chicago - Tom...wanted you perspective for a minute. With all of the penalties on the defensive backs this year, is this another example of why Kurt Schottenheimer should be out as DB coach or is this just how the players play? I also think that if some of these penalties were costing us games, fans would be screaming for coach Schottenheimer's head on a platter.

A: Tom Silverstein - I don't see a correlation. Charles Woodson and Al Harris don't need a lot of coaching. Schottenheimer works mostly with the safeties. Woodson and Harris are the biggest offenders and they're doing it because defensive coordinator Bob Sanders lets them. He wants them to be physical and to beat up receivers. The only danger is they might start relying on holding and shoving instead of using it strategically.
Q: kwed of dubuque - Hey Silverstein, Do opposing defenses still jaw at favre or is he off-limits these days? I don't see any sapp's or Hovan's yapping at him after sacks. Also, is KRob our best wide receiver when healthy and fully integrated next year?

A: Tom Silverstein - You don't see many guys doing that to him. Most of them want his autograph after they hit him. As for Robinson, no. He has a long way to go to get back to where he was. He only had one 1,000-yard receiver in his career. Donald Driver is and will be a better receiver for quite awhile.
Q: Jim of Minneapolis - It scares me when I hear that "Green Bay ties" is one of the factors the Packers will consider when hiring their next President. Sure, Green Bay is a unique franchise but should these ties really mean much vs. football experience, management ability, public relations skills and business acumen? (You could even argue that an outsider might provide a fresh outlook.) I hope the Packers are not taking even a small step back to the insular thinking of the pre-Ron Wolf era.

A: Tom Silverstein - I agree with you to an extent. Someone with a Packers background isn't mandatory and I don't think the search committee is thinking that way. I think they have hopes of finding this uber-candidate who has marketing, business, football and public relations acumen. There aren't that many people like that out there.
Q: Carl Gerbschmidt of Elk Mound - Tom, what's the word on Grant? Is he going to be the "feature guy" the rest of this season.. or do you see this a committee?

A: Tom Silverstein - He's the guy, Carl. Provided he stays healthy, he'll be the starter. Vernand Morency can't be counted on for more than third-down work and Brandon Jackson has already gotten his crack. Grant seems to be more of a natural in the system than the others.
Q: Pinche Calderon of Racine - Didn't it seem that there were a lot of bad calls for pass interference and many other ticky-tacky calls? I don't understand how they could have called Charles Woodson.....he had his head turned and was looking at the ball. It also happened in the Patriots/Colts game. Shouldn't the refs do their laundry at home?

A: Tom Silverstein - The P.I. on Woodson was not a good call. But he was mugging Brandon Stokley all day and deserved the rest of the penalties. There are too many flags thrown on a weekly basis and the NFL needs to remind the officials that the players are the ones people come to see.
Q: Brett of Orlando - Great season, no doubt. And I think TT deserves much more praise than he is getting this year. That said, I have an unsettling feeling about the Pack's 4 OL picks from the 05 & 06 drafts. By all accounts, Colledge is abysmal, Moll is weak and Spitz isn't athletic. And Coston is average at best. Do any of these guys offer hope on the OL? Otherwise TT will be spending day one of the draft next year on Guards. Your thoughts...

A: Tom Silverstein - Coston has the most promise. He really has very good athletic ability and he's learning to play under his pads. He was progressing when he got hurt and I suspect he'll be back in the starting lineup when he's healthy. Colledge's play is the most confounding. He had been a relatively solid pass protector most of the year and then Sunday he had his lunch handed to him by a journeyman, Alphonso Boone. He doesn't have a natural feel for the offense and needs to play smarter. I don't know if he doesn't study enough or is overthinking things. Spitz should be a center and nothing else. That's his natural position and that's where he can play in the NFL for awhile. Moll has some natural talent, but you have to remember he was a tight end until late in his college career. His footwork can be atrocious and he doesn't have a natural feel for blocking combinations. All in all, it's not a very good class right now.
Q: James of Sacramento - Tom, if C. Williams keeps playing at this pace (or exceeds it) for the rest of the season, could the franchise tag be applied to leverage a high draft pick from another team?

A: Tom Silverstein - No. The franchise tag would be around $10 million for him and the Packers aren't going to pay him that on a one-year deal. Plus, no team is going to give up two first-round picks for him, which is the cost of obtaining a franchise player.
Q: Jeff C of Washington, DC - Maybe you could comment on this..inspite of who they have beaten and how, the Packers have received VERY little respect from national commentaters. When it comes to ranking NFC teams, most put the Giants ahead of the Packers - a team Green Bay beat ON THE ROAD in what was probably their most decisive victory of the season. And now Detroit is the sexy team to pic in the NFC North. I realize they are very tough at home, but they also were HUMILIATED on the road by two teams the Packers beat. Apparently the Packers are a fluke...

A: Tom Silverstein - I don't get to listen to the commentators much, but I do look at various power polls and such. I don't agree that the Packers aren't getting a lot of respect. The broadcasters fawn over Favre like he's the second-coming and it gets rather nauseating at times. A year ago, they were telling him to retire. It never seems to be an objective view. As for the rest of the team, they still have a lot to prove. You can't say they're on the same level as N.E., Indy, or even Pittsburgh. If they beat Dallas the kudos will come.
Q: Jeremy of the Prairie - The Pack are 3-0 vs the AFC. Both Detroit and Minn. beat AFC teams last week. After week 9, the AFC leads the NFC 20-19 in Non-Conference match ups. Is the AFC dominance starting to falter? Can we still say that AFC teams are generally better than NFC teams?

A: Tom Silverstein - I see the NFC gaining a little ground. It may have the best running back in the league now in Adrian Peterson. It has an up-and-coming star in Tony Romo. But the AFC is still better. The NFC North is cleaning up on the crappy AFC West. The best teams are in the AFC South, and North (plus New England). I almost always give the AFC the edge when picking games.
Q: Vince S. of Oak Forest, IL - When the Packers run the ball, do you see signs that the Packers' offensive line is improving? Is there anything they are doing worse since the opener in Philadelphia?

A: Tom Silverstein - I do see the tackles and tight ends doing a better job of cutting backside pursuit. You started to see improvement after the bye. But the guards took a huge step backward against Kansas City and stand to be planted in the ground like bulbs against Minnesota's defensive tackle duo. A big problem appears to be their ability to slide off double-team blocks and get to the linebackers. The timing needs to be sharp and isn't right now.
Q: Digger of Andover, MN - Hi Tom, Peterson or no Peterson, it's hard to imagine Brooks Bollinger beating Brett Favre at Lambeau in November. I don't envy the Vikings secondary when the Packers line up with 4 wides. Rouse may be a little fresher then Collins when it comes time to tackle Peterson again and again. Will Mac activate Cole? He must in order to stop Peterson, right?

A: Tom Silverstein - The Packers have to dare Bollinger to throw. They have the corners to cover Minnesota's receivers. If they don't play with eight men in the box all game long, someone should be brought up on charges.
Q: Ted of Grand Rapids Michigan - Am I correct in concluding that few teams in the NFL use the zone blocking scheme that has been so ineffective for the Packers? One team - Denver - comes to mind when I think of zone blocking. Shanahan's system seems to work year in, year out because he insists on lineman who are quick and athletic and able to block on the move. The back is just an interchangeable part. Seems to me the Packers' personnel, with the exception of Tauscher, may be incapable of making this scheme work with any consistency. Am I wrong?

A: Tom Silverstein - You may be right. I think Wells can play the system and I think Coston has the ability to be very good in it. But I have my doubts about Colledge and Moll. Colledge has a lot of talent and should be playing better after 23 starts. If there were someone better waiting, he'd be on the bench.
Q: Dick Johnson of Mesa, AZ - Hi Tom -- Thx for considering my question: Do you think it's possible/likely that our O-line problems could be due to little or no scrimmaging in training camp using the zone blocking scheme against our D? Drills, tec, can't replace live action using 'real bullets'. How better to develop the timing etc than against a very good, defensive line and backers like ours? I am fully aware of the injury potential, but our blocking to date is sick!!

A: Tom Silverstein - It just doesn't make sense to cut your own guys in practice. McCarthy would never do it. They do all kinds of drills to simulate cutting, but I guess it's not quite the same. Other teams practice the same way, so it shouldn't matter that they don't hit live in training camp.
Q: Paul Fleischer of Cheyenne, Wyoming - Tom, big Packer fan here just wondering out loud: in your opinion, how much is a good running game up to the runner or the blocking scheme? I mean, let's say the Pack had Adrian Peterson, could we expect him to be getting the same numbers with us? Or would the lousy blocking keep him contained? Tied in with this, do the Vikings have that much better a run-blocking scheme? Thanks for your help.

A: Tom Silverstein - The Vikings have three very good linemen in Matt Birk, Steve Hutchinson and McKinnie. That's a lot of beef to open up holes for Peterson. From what I've read, Peterson was doing a tremendous job of setting up his blockers and using body language to make linebackers commit. A good running back makes everybody else better, but you still need a line. Look at Kansas City, Larry Johnson isn't doing anything because his line isn't any good anymore.
Q: Pete of Oscelola - Perhaps you can settle a disagreement between my wife Lisa and I - In the weeks leading up to the games against cover two teams I thought I had read that the way to go after them is #1 to be able to run the ball and #2 pass to the TE down the middle of the field (in the KC game Jennings was used instead of the TE). Is this true or am I not recalling what I read properly? McArhty eluded to this I belive in the post game saying something like " we caught them in a cover two with Jennings running down the middle" Thanks for you time.

A: Tom Silverstein - You're right about Cover 2. There are always seven men in the box, so you want to run. The holes in the zone coverage in the passing game are right down the middle of the field or in the seams, and between the linebackers. Years ago, Favre used to have success throwing lasers to receivers running down the seams. You shouldn't be able to throw deep on Cover 2, nor should you be able to break slant routes for big gains.
Q: Dave of Packerville - Tom, which is better proof of the old saying that the NFL is a young mans game: the suprising Pack and their performances of the last two weeks or the pathetic Ravens and their Monday night performance against the Steelers?

A: Tom Silverstein - Good point. I hadn't thought of that. The Ravens do look old. I actually took them against the spread in my weekly picks. Stupid me.
Q: Rubin of West Bend - Hey Tom I'm wondering if you can answer this question. I religiously read all of the stories on the Packers every day (including other newspapers-sorry). What I'm wondering is this: from the overall tone, you would think this team was 1-7, not 7-1. To what do you attribute that? I'm not suggesting all happy talk all the time, but these guys probably deserve a little bit of credit since all of the so called experts had them at .500 or below. How about some positive stories for once?

A: Tom Silverstein - You're kidding, right, Rubin? There haven't been any positive stories? C'mon. Favre has been the darling all year and the cornerbacks have gotten major publicity. I disagree with your premise.
Q: christo from toronto of - What, if anything, is the Packer's organization doing to make Lambeau field a more intimidating experience for visiting football teams? McCarthy said he wanted to do something about this apparent deficiency at the beginning of the season. thanks!

A: Tom Silverstein - I think they're going to release tigers from beneath the field as opponents get near the end zone. And from what I hear they're going to have flyovers when the opposition has the ball. Other than that, I think their best bet would be to play better football.
Q: ed w of boca raton, florida - any chance we will see a different defensive alignment against Vikings? i.e. a 3-4, maybe with Rouse lined up at linebacker and Kampman, Pickett, Jenkins on line

A: Tom Silverstein - You'll definitely see eight-men in the box. That's a given. Whether they go to the goal-line defense (five DL) remains to be seen. But it might not be a bad idea. That's all I have time for folks. Thanks for all the questions and see you at the next chat.

Bretsky
11-07-2007, 08:16 PM
Q: Rich of Dayton - Tom: Are the Packers doing anything relative to extending Corey Williams contract? Thanks for the chat.

A: Tom Silverstein - As of right now, they've had very preliminary discussions. I think you can bank on Williams going to free agency. He's have a terrific year and he knows he can cash in. The Packers drafted Justin Harrell in part because they knew Williams might want more than they're offering

I believe I've heard that before :idea:

Partial
11-07-2007, 09:18 PM
Get CWill locked up. Put some of his bonus in this year. He earned it.