PDA

View Full Version : morency kick..refs were wrong to penalize for delay of game.

gbgary
11-07-2007, 09:01 PM
vp of officiating said they shouldn't have called that penalty. since it wasn't an illegal kick (because the pass was incomplete) and wasn't done when the play had been whistled dead, it shouldn't have been called. it wasn't correct in the spirit of the rule and wouldn't happen again.

calling a penalty from a replay is opening up a can of worms the nfl doesn't want to do. when they changed the call, based on the replay, i didn't think it was right. penalties aren't something that's reviewable anyway. anything after the pass was judged incomplete should have been ignored.

Rastak
11-07-2007, 09:34 PM
It was funny last Sunday during the Vikings game Ferguson kicked the ball after an incomplete pass (I think it was Ferguson) and he must have immediately realized what he did, he ran over and grabbed it and handed it to the refs.....who seemed to be ignoring the whole thing.

esoxx
11-07-2007, 10:28 PM
I thought that was a horseshit call during the game. How can you penalize a guy when he thought the ball was live? It was the officials mistake and he kicked it to keep it away from the Chiefs. It had nothing to do with delay of game.
Of course Troy Aikman thought he had the call right but it turns out Troy, you're wrong.

mmmdk
11-08-2007, 03:02 AM
A very stupid call - Morency was doing the smart thing. Bad judgement by refs.

Iron Mike
11-08-2007, 07:16 AM
I thought that was a horseshit call during the game. How can you penalize a guy when he thought the ball was live? It was the officials mistake and he kicked it to keep it away from the Chiefs. It had nothing to do with delay of game.
Of course Troy Aikman thought he had the call right but it turns out Troy, you're wrong.

No Wai!!! The Troy can NEVER be wrong. :whaa: [/sarcasm]

Zool
11-08-2007, 07:44 AM

No Wai!!! The Troy can NEVER be wrong. :whaa: [/sarcasm]

Agreed. Robots cant make mistakes. The person in the wrong is whomever developed Aikmans personality algorithm.

The Leaper
11-08-2007, 10:46 AM
I thought that was crap too. If you overturn the call that the pass was a lateral, then everything relating to the PLAY (penalties included) after that should be ignored. Personal fouls, however, should not be ignored.

Creepy
11-08-2007, 11:06 AM
When a playis reveiwed certain penalties can be called, because the entire play is revewed. An example is whether the WR had posession of the ball going OOB. Duringthe review the dtermine thatthe QB crossed the line a penalty will be called. They may overturn or let stand the OOB decsioion, but then will state the QB was over the line.

This is kind of the case with the kick. The kick was penalized for 10 yards as a live ball. When they determined it was an incomplete pass it became a dead ball foul. Refs are not supposed to use intent in determination. It was a dead ball fould an dthe 5 yard infraction was the correct call. I wish ithad been a lateral and GB then would have run theball and not thrown that pass.

The ref's called it correctly by the rules, not that big a deal. Nobody told GB to go for the first down, nobody except Colledge allowed the DT to hit Bretts arm. had he got the fisrt down and GB maybe got a FG, everybody would be applauding what transpired. because it turned to crap everybody is crying about it.

Luckily it didn't decide the game, which if you are a Chiefs fan may still be crying about the holding call on Gonzales. Now there is a real reason to be upset.

gbgary
11-08-2007, 11:12 AM
because it turned to crap everybody is crying about it.

nobody's crying...and as i mentioned, the vp of officiating already stated it was the wrong call.

Merlin
11-09-2007, 02:49 PM
What I don't understand is that even if the play wasn't an incomplete pass, how is it delay of game for a guy to get the ball away from the defense recovering? I would think it would be delay of game if he did it AFTER an incomplete pass, not in the defense of a fumble.