PDA

View Full Version : Nice Koren Robinson article in the Saint Paul paper

Rastak
11-08-2007, 06:35 AM
Koren Robinson talks about his life since a drunken driving arrest sidelined a promising career with the Minnesota Vikings
Ex-Viking calls post-DWI suspension a blessing
BY SEAN JENSEN
Pioneer Press
Article Last Updated: 11/08/2007 12:18:15 AM CST

Heading into the 2006 season, Koren Robinson was one of the NFL's top comeback stories.

After a series of setbacks because of substance abuse, Robinson had transformed from NFL afterthought into NFL all-star within a year. In March 2006, the Vikings rewarded him with a three-year, $12.7 million that included $1.1 million in immediate bonuses and guaranteed him $2 million for the 2006 season.

Only Robinson didn't make it to the regular season. He was arrested on suspicion of drunken driving as he raced back to Mankato, Minn., for curfew during training camp and was released 11 days later.

Green Bay signed him, but Robinson played only four games for the Packers before the NFL suspended him for one year. Robinson was reinstated last month and played in his first game this season Sunday, catching three passes for 18 yards in a 33-22 victory in Kansas City.

Wednesday, Robinson talked about his ups and downs.

Q. How are you?

A.

I'm good. I can't complain. I'm sitting here on a 7-1 team, leading the division. Things are real lovely.

Q.

Did you think you'd get back onto a football field so quickly?

A.

I thought my chances were over. I thought I shot myself in the foot, with my career. But not only am I just back on the team, I'm being able to produce a little bit and help out. It just feels great, man.

I didn't think I'd be reinstated.

It's very overwhelming. Because I really, truly thought it wasn't going to happen.

Q.

How difficult was it being suspended for a year?

A.

It was real hard. Nobody wants to go through that. You're away from your teammates who support you. You're not getting paid.

But you got to stay away and can't really be in contact with the organization. It was real hard.

At the same time, it was very beneficial for me. It was a blessing in disguise. I needed that time and an opportunity to figure out some of these issues I had going on.

Without that year, I don't think I'd be in the place I am today.

Q.

I thought things were going well in Minnesota.

A.

I think I got too confident. I felt what I was doing was enough. But really it wasn't. I think I got complacent, and I got comfortable.

I just slipped up. Me being selfish, and me being the Koren of old. Basically, not thinking about the team and just thinking about me and what I wanted at that particular time.

They call it a disease. If you let your guard down for a minute, it'll get you. But I've taken the time out to correct that problem and make sure I don't ever drop my guard again.

Q.

The Vikings and Brad Childress believed in you enough to give you a three-year contract extension. How disappointed are you since you let them down?

A.

I know I let coach down, and, to this day, I wanted to call him. He wouldn't answer the phone. I wanted to talk to him and let him know, truly, I was sorry, and I know I let him down.

I wanted to apologize to him.

I will do that on Sunday before the game.

I just want to tell him, I appreciated it. Because without him letting me go, and without the organization letting me go, I don't feel I'd be in this position. Or in this place, mentally, spiritually and physically. I've gotten straight, across the board. My hunger is back.

Q.

Why are you so confident you won't slip up again?

A.

Now, I'm strong enough mentally to handle it and cope with it, without picking up a drink. I found out that I'm strong enough to live life on my terms.

Before, I was really trying to escape.

Now, I have other ways to escape.

Q.

Were you drinking regularly before that fateful night in August 2006?

A.

It was one isolated incident that went bad. And I look at it like, "God is trying to tell me something."

Q.

When was your last drink before that?

A.

Cinco de Mayo of 2005.

Q.

Why did you drink the night you got arrested?

A.

I don't know. I don't even want to go back, to tell you the truth. It's in the past. I think about it, and it's fresh in my mind, because I don't want to go back there.

Q.

Boy, that was an expensive night of drinking.

A.

I mean, that just lets you know where I was, in my head, for me to mess that up. My contract was for almost $13 million. Then I had to pay my lawyer.

I lost a lot.

Q.

But you're obviously not dwelling on that?

A.

I look at it as what I gained. That's my perspective. That's why I changed so much. I look at things for the positive, and not for the negative. I have a different perspective on everything.

That's just an example. Not me losing $12 or $13 million. But looking at what I gained.

Confidence in myself. Having peace within myself. Being comfortable with myself.

Q.

How has your wife been?

A.

Everyone has been supportive. I got to do it for me, God and all the people who love and support me. I want to let them know their support is not in vain. That's what I'm living for. I just feel good, man.

Q.

What's been the biggest change?

A.

I don't have to lie. I can look everybody in the eye. 'This is what happened. Either you like it or you don't. I don't really care.

I used to care about (how) people perceived me. It doesn't matter now.

Q.

Did it bother you, when you were lumped in with other suspended players like Pacman Jones and Chris Henry?

A.

Not really. It was different, what they were doing, and what I'm doing. But at the same time, the integrity of the NFL was still at stake. However you look at it, I was making the NFL look bad.

Q.

How much has Brett Favre's support meant to you?

A.

It's real overwhelming. Him being who he is, the legend, the icon. It's crazy to me.

I just got to continue to put the pieces of the puzzle together so I can stay on that course.

Sean Jensen can be reached at sjensen@pioneerpress.com.

Harlan Huckleby
11-08-2007, 10:17 AM
thanks Rastak, you are a Good Christian for posting this article.