PDA

View Full Version : Reggie McKenzie mentioned as GM candidate for Houston

motife
05-10-2006, 08:46 PM
http://www.wbay.com/Global/story.asp?S=4888355

Green Bay Packers
McKenzie Responds to Reports of Becoming a GM

There has been little turnover in the Green Bay Packers personnel department in the last four years, and sophomore general manager Ted Thompson has made very few changes there himself since taking the reins.

But Reggie McKenzie's position as pro personnel director since 1997 may change. The NFL Network and Houston Chronicle both report McKenzie is a candidate to replace Texans GM Charlie Casserly, who resigned Wednesday.

Action 2 Sports director Chris Roth spoke with McKenzie Wednesday afternoon. He said no one has contacted him about any job in Houston, although he had heard about the reports.

McKenzie is very active in the community here and said he's not actively pursuing any jobs.

The Houston reports name two other candidates, including one who has strong ties to new Texans coach Gary Kubiak.

MJZiggy
05-10-2006, 08:56 PM
I read somewhere earlier today that TT won't let him interview unless he has a lot of control as GM and it's a definite promotion.

HarveyWallbangers
05-10-2006, 10:23 PM
It's bound to happen sooner or later--although wist will tell you that the whole scouting department sucks.
:D

Anti-Polar Bear
05-10-2006, 11:55 PM
I respect Reggie McKenzie and everything he has done for the Packers, but the best man for the Texans GM job is right under their nose.

MIKE SHERMAN

Scott Campbell
05-11-2006, 07:10 AM
From PFT:

MORE CANDIDATES EMERGE FOR TEXANS GIG

A source with knowledge of the inner workings of the Houston Texans' front office tells us that the list of candidates for the G.M. gig should be expanded by two.

Added to the roster, per the source, are Bears director of pro personnel Bobby DePaul and Dolphins director of pro personnel George Paton.

Other candidates include former Falcons personnel guy Ron Hill, Eagles director of player personnel Jason Licht, Bucs director of player personnel Ruston Webster, Seahawks director of pro personnel Will Lewis, Broncos assistant G.M. Rick Smith, and Packers director of pro personnel Reggie McKenzie.

Not bad for a team that supposedly hasn't started identifying potential replacements.

In response to a barb tossed earlier on Wednesday by one of our sources at current Texans' cap guy Dan Ferens, we're told has no aspiration to replace Casserly as General Manager. Per the source, Ferens realizes that he doesn't have the football qualifications to run the show.

KYPack
05-11-2006, 08:05 AM
I thought Dan Reeves was all pre-wired to take this job.

I guess not, eh?

Mike Sherman as a GM candidate?

Yeah, right after they give Michael Jackson a job running a day care center.

Pack0514
05-11-2006, 08:09 AM

LOL.... sick but funny.

GoPackGo
05-11-2006, 11:24 AM
report from the Housten Chronicle...

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/3855654.html

May 11, 2006, 12:16AM
SEARCH FOR A SUCCESSOR
Broncos' Smith, Packers' McKenzie top list
Ties to Kubiak, Sherman earn pair early consideration

By JOHN MCCLAIN
Copyright 2006 Houston Chronicle

Although the search for Charley Casserly's replacement as Texans general manager will not begin for at least another week, expect Denver assistant general manager Rick Smith and Green Bay director of pro personnel Reggie McKenzie to emerge as leading candidates.

Texans owner Bob McNair will have no shortage of candidates eager to replace Casserly, and the list he puts together could start with Smith and McKenzie.

Smith has a long association with Texans coach Gary Kubiak. They worked together in Denver for 10 years. When Texans assistant head coach/offense Mike Sherman was Green Bay's head coach for six years, he worked closely with McKenzie.

"I'll start dealing with that in a week or two," McNair said. "I'll visit with Gary, and we'll talk about his views. I'll define the job and start looking at potential candidates.

"The No. 1 criteria is they have to be a good talent evaluator. Talent and coaching the talent is what it's all about. We have to get someone who has a good eye for talent."

Kubiak is excited McNair wants him involved.

"Bob and I had a good conversation about it today," Kubiak said Wednesday. "It makes me feel good that he wants my (input). This is a big decision for the organization. We have to do our homework and be very patient. I'm sure a lot of good people will be interested in the job, because it's a tremendous opportunity."

Smith, who was promoted from pro personnel director to assistant GM under Broncos general manager Ted Sundquist, will be a candidate.

"I watched him as a player and coach before he moved into the front office," Kubiak said. "I think a lot of Rick, but we're going to be looking at a lot of good candidates."

Dan Reeves, who was hired by the Texans as a consultant late last season and was involved in the process that led to Kubiak's hiring, will not be involved in the search for Casserly's replacement.

"Dan performed the task that I asked him to," McNair said.

Like Casserly did over the last four months, the new general manager will have to work closely with Kubiak.

"We've said all along that we get players that Gary wants, but there's a lot of effort in our organization that goes into the draft process," McNair said. "Charley managed all of that.

"Gary would define to us what he wanted in the way of a player or group of players. The challenge for Charley and his group was to find that which had been described to them. That doesn't change.

"The fact that Gary does an outstanding job of that makes it that much easier for the scouts, because they have a much clearer idea of what he really wants and what he doesn't."

jack's smirking revenge
05-12-2006, 11:52 AM
I do find it comical that Sherman's not really being mentioned at all, that the press is reporting that the Texans are shopping for Casserly's replacement. I think that speaks a bit about the perception of Sherman. Otherwise, I would think he'd be a lock for that job, given his executive experience.

(Basically...SHERMAN SUCKS)

tyler

No Mo Moss
05-12-2006, 11:58 AM
I don't think this will be a very friutful position for whoever gets it. It seems to me that after what happened to casserly, owners are looking for a "yes man", TT would be wise to prevent McKenzie from interviewing there if that's tru. "Yes men" are never successful.

Merlin
05-12-2006, 01:14 PM

I guess not, eh?

I think Sherman could be a good GM, just don't give him any other job.

jack's smirking revenge
05-12-2006, 01:24 PM

I guess not, eh?

I think the opposite. I think he could be a good coach (well, he is a good coach--look at the record he had), but I question his activities as a GM while he was part of the Pack. I think he decimated our depth and drafted poorly (can also be attributed to our scouting department, but we seemed to have a solid draft in 2006).

Good discussion though. If he had one job, which would he be better at: Coach or GM? I agree that he can't handle both (but I seriously don't think any person should--even Holmgren).

tyler

Tony Oday
05-12-2006, 04:16 PM
Sherman was a horrible GM. Anti must be knee deep in the ganje if he thinks he was even decent.

Sherman on the other hand was a solid offensive coach. I really liked his fire. I think he has a great career as a solid offensive Coordinator.

KYPack
05-12-2006, 05:29 PM

I guess not, eh?

I think the opposite. I think he could be a good coach (well, he is a good coach--look at the record he had), but I question his activities as a GM while he was part of the Pack. I think he decimated our depth and drafted poorly (can also be attributed to our scouting department, but we seemed to have a solid draft in 2006).

Good discussion though. If he had one job, which would he be better at: Coach or GM? I agree that he can't handle both (but I seriously don't think any person should--even Holmgren).

tyler

I'm wicha, Jack.

MS is a solid coach in a number of areas.

If he would've been the coach of the Pack w/out the GM responsibilty, we might have pulled it out.

The biggest loss we sustained in the Sherman era was the death of Mark Hatley, Hat could've helped Sherman in so many ways. I like Sherman, he was just a lousy GM. Bob Harlan should've stepped in and given Mike some support. Harlan didn't and MS drowned trying to do both jobs.

Anti-Polar Bear
05-14-2006, 03:49 PM
Most GMs can only wish they are as good as Sherman. Most gms envy Sherman. Sherman's teams never missed the playoffs or finish 4-12. How many GMs can say they've never missed the playoffs? Ted Thompson is not one because he already gave birth to 4-12. How many GMs can say the finished 4-12? Only Gms like Ted THompson and Matt Millen.

Fuck Bob Harlan for hiring Thompson, an inferior GM to Mike Sherman. I wont miss Harlan when he steps down after this season. Harlan fucked up the Packers' last chance to win another ring before Favre calls it quit when he hired Ted "I am using the draft as an excuse for the inability to sign top-tier free agents, even if I have $35 M" Thompson.

All Thompson needed to do was keep the offense intact and upgrade 3-4 spots on defense and the Pack would still be a contender. YOu are delusional if you dont think Thompson dismantled a Playoffs team.

Bretsky
05-14-2006, 03:57 PM
Most GMs can only wish they are as good as Sherman. Most gms envy Sherman. Sherman's teams never missed the playoffs or finish 4-12. How many GMs can say they've never missed the playoffs? Ted Thompson can't because he already gave birth to 4-12. How many GMs can say the finished 4-12? Only Gms like Ted THompson and Matt Millen.

Fuck Bob Harlan for hiring Thompson, an inferior GM to Mike Sherman. I wont miss Harlan when he steps down after this season. Harlan fucked up the Packers' last chance to win another ring before Favre calls it quit when he hired Ted "I am using the draft as an excuse for the inability to sign top-tier free agents, even if I have $35 M" Thompson.

All Thompson needed to do was keep the offense intact and upgrade 3-4 spots on defense and the Pack would still be a contender. YOu are delusional if you dont think Thompson dismantled a Playoffs team.

Sherman's success as a GM= Brett Favre + Inhertied Ron Wolf drafted talent, some of which he resigned.

If Mike Sherman would have had time to f@ck up drafts for four more years, we'd have been better off with USC's team.

Anti-Polar Bear
05-14-2006, 04:21 PM
Sherman's success as a GM= Brett Favre + Inhertied Ron Wolf drafted talent, some of which he resigned.

If Mike Sherman would have had time to f@ck up drafts for four more years, we'd have been better off with USC's team.

Ted Thompson's failure as GM: Brett Favre + Inhertied Ron Wolf Drafted talent.

The result? Let just put it this way: Sherman never went 4-12.

The roster sherman gave Thompson wasnt any different from the one Wolf gave Sherman, except for a few upgrades along the way by Sherman. Wolf left Sherman with a solid offense (but mediocre WR crop) and mediocre defense. Sherman upgraded the offense with the drafting of Walker and added depth with Nall and Davenport; the unit became top 3; Sherman was also instrumental in resigning Tausher and Clifton and Driver and Hanederson and KGB WITH LESS THAN $7.5 M AND WAY WAY WAY WAY LESS THAN THE $35 M THE POLAR BEAR HAS THIS YEAR.

Last year, Sherman wouldve upgraded the defense. Or he wouldve this year with $35 M

The Polar Bear had the money to resign Wahle but he wanted to fuck Klemm. The Polar Bear had the opportunity to draft Logan Mankins but he wanted to fuck Whitticker instead. Walker just wanted to talk about an extension; the Polar Bear hides in his cave and then trade Walker for a 2nd rounder. The Polar Bear has more money this year than Sherman had in 3 years COMBINED, and yet he remains idle when the defense is in need of an upgrade, as well as the dismantled offense.

Whereas Sherman sought to upgrade the Packers, Thompson seeks to downgrade the team. No GM in his right mind would dismantle a playoffs team.

Unless the GM is Ted Thompson.

MJZiggy
05-14-2006, 04:58 PM
Doesn't matter. APB's word is good for nothing 'til he pays up.

b bulldog
05-14-2006, 09:53 PM
I guess the Texan's search for a new GM will be very short since the best available candidate is already coaching their Oline :razz: