PDA

View Full Version : Be afraid. Be very afraid.

Harlan Huckleby
11-08-2007, 04:04 PM
Paper Trail Gives Ferguson Motivation
By JASON WILDE

GREEN BAY — It hangs in Robert Ferguson's locker, a daily reminder of how his time with the Green Bay Packers ended this summer.

He put it there the moment he arrived at the Minnesota Vikings' Winter Park training facility following his release.

"That's fuel, man," he says of his termination paper from Green Bay, where he'd spent the first six years of his NFL career. "As soon as I got here I put it up. (I look at it) every day, whether it's a walkthrough or (a) practice. That's why I don't slack out there. That's why. I'll never get another one of those again in my career."

Above the official document, signed by Packers vice president of player finance Andrew Brandt — not general manager Ted Thompson — is another piece of paper.

On this one, scrawled in Ferguson's handwriting, are the words "Prove It" and "Every day, every snap."

"Prove It" is written in green.

"The green represents Green Bay," Ferguson said.

So while Ferguson harbors no ill will toward his former teammates — he still text messages and calls many of them, including wide receivers Donald Driver, Greg Jennings and Koren Robinson and tight ends Bubba Franks and Donald Lee — Ferguson will return to Lambeau Field Sunday for the first time as a visitor with more than a little motivation.

"Obviously this is unknown territory," said Ferguson, who was released by the Packers on Aug. 17. "I've never been going back there and playing against them. It would be very special, especially with them being where they are right now (at) 7-1, (to) play very well."

So far, Ferguson hasn't gotten many chances to do that. He's caught just nine passes for 102 yards this season for the Vikings, who use him more as a blocker.

"That's a good question," he replied when asked when his opportunity will come. "Hopefully it will come soon."

mraynrand
11-08-2007, 04:15 PM
Man I hope Ferguson doesn't have ANOTHER of his many 100 yard receiving games against us. He just gouged the Packers the last time they played. Bigby should wear his Donovan Darius mask.

packinpatland
11-08-2007, 04:22 PM
Sounds like he saw the movie 'Invincible". :roll:

GBRulz
11-08-2007, 04:24 PM
I'll never get another one of those again in my career

I never knew him to have a sense of humor !

The Leaper
11-08-2007, 04:36 PM
When you are a WR used as a blocker, you suck. Stop putting up crap on your locker to motivate yourself. It ain't gonna work.

Freak Out
11-08-2007, 04:59 PM
Green Bay is really starved for news isn't it?

Joemailman
11-08-2007, 05:01 PM
Harlan, stop trying to scare Bretsky. Sometimes, you are not very nice.

Harlan Huckleby
11-08-2007, 05:02 PM
I just found the story pretty funny. Can you imagine getting a pink slip, then hanging it up at your desk at your next job? And then claiming you aren't bitter? :lol:

I don't like dumping on players that leave GB, but this one was just too rich to resist. I wonder how Wilde ever got this story, he must do a lot of jock sniffing in other teams locker rooms.

Lurker64
11-08-2007, 05:04 PM
Well, the good thing for Ferguson is that now that KoRo is back with the Packers, Ferguson might have a shot to put up better numbers than Ruvell Martin this season.

RashanGary
11-08-2007, 05:24 PM
Wilde has been pretty quite since MM went off on him.

Harlan Huckleby
11-08-2007, 05:47 PM

:lol: JH, I think/hope you are being sarcastic. That was a hilarious incident, although I forget the details. I just remember that what Wilde suggested that ticked off McCarthy so badly ended up being obviously true.

esoxx
11-08-2007, 05:56 PM
I'm more afraid of Rouse starting this game than whatever meager contribution Ferguson will make.

the_idle_threat
11-08-2007, 05:58 PM
He might have the career day against us that I feared might happen in the first matchup this season. Something like 3 catches for 50 yards. :o :lol:

Oh, the humanity!

FritzDontBlitz
11-08-2007, 06:03 PM
Rouse doesn't scare me. I just hope he doesn't love to stare into the backfield half as much as Collins and Bigby do.

Ferguson is a sad case, think Javon Walker without the receiving yards. You get mentioned in an article about Minnesota, and the best they can come up with is how well you block on running plays. 'Nuff said.

Ferguson wrote his own ticket out of town when he refused to contribute on special teams, which was his forte. You bitch about being cut, but you wont even fall back on your specialty to improve your chances of making the roster? What, was Ahmad Carroll your mentor?

Jeez.

b bulldog
11-08-2007, 08:00 PM
If Rouse can be average we won't lose anything

Rastak
11-08-2007, 08:10 PM
I'm more afraid of Rouse starting this game than whatever meager contribution Ferguson will make.

He has been throwing some nice downfield blocks. Laugh all you want but 6 pts is 6 pts.....

b bulldog
11-08-2007, 08:27 PM
fergy is a good downfield blocker and a good special teams player but nopt a very good pass catching wr

Rastak
11-08-2007, 08:31 PM
fergy is a good downfield blocker and a good special teams player but nopt a very good pass catching wr

He's beaten a few guys deep but the ultra inaccurate Viking QB's have missed him. He also dropped a few. He has thrown a few key blocks though to spring Peterson. Honestly, I really don't care if he scores or the guy running by him while he holds a block scores.

ND72
11-08-2007, 08:33 PM

so he's a glorified Tight End :lol:

RashanGary
11-08-2007, 08:39 PM
He's beaten a few guys deep but the ultra inaccurate Viking QB's have missed him. He also dropped a few. He has thrown a few key blocks though to spring Peterson. Honestly, I really don't care if he scores or the guy running by him while he holds a block scores.

He is awfull, Rastak. He does not adust to the ball at all. It can be a good throw and Fergy running away from the ball makes it look bad. I understand you're a Vikings fan and you want him to be good (we held out hope for 5 years) but it's not coming. He's just a bad WR.

Rastak
11-08-2007, 08:42 PM

He is awfull, Rastak. He does not adust to the ball at all. It can be a good throw and Fergy running away from the ball makes it look bad. I understand you're a Vikings fan and you want him to be good (we held out hope for 5 years) but it's not coming. He's just a bad WR.

I will defer to you because you've seen him play WAY more than I have. I've seen him blow a couple this year and on other plays he's done just fine. It's looked more good than bad from what I've seen but he certainly hasen't stood out catching the ball, nor has he been a liability thus far.

GBRulz
11-08-2007, 08:54 PM
he certainly hasen't stood out catching the ball, nor has he been a liability thus far.

I think that describes him pretty well, actually. He never really did anything for us, but yet wasn't a liability either. What disappointed me the most in him is that when he had the chance to really stand out (other WR's suffering injuries) he didn't take advantage of it. I always said the the perfect WR would be Driver's determination with Fergie's body.

Carolina_Packer
11-08-2007, 09:06 PM
It's too bad it never worked out as hoped with Fergie. I know Brett had good things to say about him during his time there, but it never really clicked, much of it having to do with bad luck due to injuries. I don't think anyone thought he was slack. The NFL is filled with players who fall short of their promise, especially first and second rounders where the expectations are much higher. In Green Bay, he was always hoped to be a number 2 WR, but was really always a 3 when he was healthy. In Minnesota, since he missed their OTA and half of their training camp, I'm sure he's just trying to find his way there, so he's a 5th WR now. At this point, he's joe lunch pail. He could have quit rather than accept a lesser role, but he's doing what he can to extend his career. Who knows if he'll be able to make any more than a role playing contribution. I wish him well after this weekend.

Rastak
11-08-2007, 09:06 PM
he certainly hasen't stood out catching the ball, nor has he been a liability thus far.

I think that describes him pretty well, actually. He never really did anything for us, but yet wasn't a liability either. What disappointed me the most in him is that when he had the chance to really stand out (other WR's suffering injuries) he didn't take advantage of it. I always said the the perfect WR would be Driver's determination with Fergie's body.

I think I may have actually heard you mention that before, believe it or not.

RashanGary
11-08-2007, 09:20 PM
I will defer to you because you've seen him play WAY more than I have. I've seen him blow a couple this year and on other plays he's done just fine. It's looked more good than bad from what I've seen but he certainly hasen't stood out catching the ball, nor has he been a liability thus far.

It's really hard to pinpoint exactly why he's not effective. I think he lacks the natural skill of seeing and tracking the ball. He just looks confused if anything other then exactly what he expected happens. Good blocker, good ST's player, hard worker, bad reciever. He's probably equal to what you guys have though and he helps in the run game so you might as well use him.

Rastak
11-08-2007, 09:27 PM

It's really hard to pinpoint exactly why he's not effective. I think he lacks the natural skill of seeing and tracking the ball. He just looks confused if anything other then exactly what he expected happens. Good blocker, good ST's player, hard worker, bad reciever. He's probably equal to what you guys have though and he helps in the run game so you might as well use him.

Sadly, he is pretty much equal and he is doing a very good job blocking and I guess that kind of plays to the Vikings strongpoints so maybe Chilly wasn't a complete moron for signing him.

woodbuck27
11-08-2007, 10:26 PM

:lol: JH, I think/hope you are being sarcastic. That was a hilarious incident, although I forget the details. I just remember that what Wilde suggested that ticked off McCarthy so badly ended up being obviously true.

That's exctly why MM was pissed at Jason Wilde when he next set foot in Lambeau. Jason Wilde obviously hit a nerve.

As I re-call that incident. It had something to do with Favre's state of mind regarding to come back to us or not and was around the time of that infamous Golf Tournament annoncement NOT that had the Wisconsin Media in Mississippi one Saturday the off season before this one just past.

PLEASE anyone am I wrong on this?

PACKERS fOREVER!

Bretsky
11-08-2007, 10:47 PM

Me too; worried that Rouse will be lost in coverage.

Ferguson scares me about as much as Jeff Query coming out of retirement to face us this year. He's junk, and if we let him succeed it's because we're playing like junk.

Harlan Huckleby
11-08-2007, 11:20 PM
PLEASE anyone am I wrong on this?

I might be wrong, but I think the incident involved Harris. Wilde suggested Harris was not showing up to minicamps to express his dissapointment in his contract. MM balled him out, said he was spreading rumors to start trouble. The "rumor" turned out to be accurate quotes.

Merlin
11-09-2007, 12:31 PM
Ferguson was given more chances to keep his job then any single person I have ever known. How many times can you get injured, drop balls right in your hands and keep your job? Really, correlate that to any other job and ask yourself how many chances that person should get?

I always thought Ferguson was a class act and I am sure he is a great guy, he just isn't a good NFL WR. He is #4 at best on any other team in the NFL. Sure, he'll make the one spectacular grab, but then drop the easy ones.

Badgepack
11-09-2007, 12:34 PM
l always thought Ferguson was a class act and I am sure he is a great guy, he just isn't a good NFL WR. He is #4 at best on any other team in the NFL. Sure, he'll make the one spectacular grab, but then drop the easy ones.

I love the fact that our #4 is KRob and/or Ruvell.

Merlin
11-09-2007, 02:46 PM
Ruvell has the size but damn he seems slow. Robinson "should" be an #2-3 easily but he of course wasn't here. Ferguson is behind those two easily.

Iron Mike
11-09-2007, 05:57 PM
I always thought Ferguson was a class act and I am sure he is a great guy, he just isn't a good NFL WR. He is #4 at best on any other team in the NFL. Sure, he'll make the one spectacular grab, but then drop the easy ones.

All he needed was a "kick-ass" offense to showcase his blocking skillz. :roll: