PDA

View Full Version : On condition of anonymity

Brainerd
11-08-2007, 04:07 PM
Yet more proof that all Favre haters are cowards.

http://www.profootballweekly.com/PFW/The+Way+We+Hear+It/Audibles/2007/audibles2218.htm

The following quotes are from NFL scouts, coaches and front-office personnel, speaking on condition of anonymity.

“Brett Favre should have retired three years ago. It’s all hype. (The Packers) are not that good. (Favre) can really throw it, but how about the poor decision-making that has defined his career? How come you don’t hear more about his record for having so many picks? The guy has had one helluva career — don’t get me wrong. But let’s call it what it is. A lot of guys get ripped for the same things he does. If one is going to get ripped, rip them all. If (Donovan) McNabb was throwing all those balls away, they would have run him out of Philly years ago and never talked about the b.s. receivers he has had to work with. The one year (McNabb) had a receiver, T.O. (Terrell Owens) got hurt. They were putting up great numbers and the kid got hurt. Then he comes back the next year, and he was lighting it up, and he got hurt. This year, everyone is coming down on him because of that interview (when he said he was treated differently as a black quarterback). And you know what, he was right. Brett Favre pulls that ‘I don’t know if I’m going to retire’ — and he does not get locked out of the building like (Steve) McNair did. Why don’t they tell him, until you decide, you are locked out. They are extra sensitive about his feelings. Brett is a great guy, but right is right, and wrong is wrong. He is holding the team hostage, too.”

Sounds more like a quote from a fan board to me.

MJZiggy
11-08-2007, 04:12 PM
If whoever wrote that actually collects a paycheck, they need to be terminated immediately for sheer stupidity. McNair got locked out because if he'd gotten injured the team wouldn't have been able to afford the payout on his mammoth contract. Lock out a player whose contract the club can afford? Absolute idiocy.

Brohm
11-08-2007, 04:30 PM
Indeed, the contract McNair had was the reason they let him go. Wasn't it like a 30million balloon payment or hit for all the restructuring he did? Did they screw him over? Yes, but it was because of how the contract was set up. If Farve had a similar contract I am sure things would be different. As it is, Farve's contract has roughly stayed steady for the past 5 years (10-12 million).

On another level, losing an icon like Farve may be a bigger financial hit (proshop sales)than actually paying him his salary.

Tarlam!
11-09-2007, 09:31 AM
Sour grapes. Or, someone who doesn't understand the fact that in Green Bay, the waiting list for season tickets is 30 years long.

As a relative newcomer type fan, I really got into studying the Favre phenomena, and it has as much to do with the GB fan as it does with #4. It's a symbiosis, and I theorize Favre would have been a great QB on any team. He is a HOFer because he is the Quarterback of the Green Bay Packers.

Carolina_Packer
11-09-2007, 09:42 AM
The same well of confidence, talent and decision making that he draws from sometimes produces picks, but more often produces positive plays, somtimes even great ones. You have to have big stones to think you can make plays and then actually make them. Sometimes that involves risk too. The fact that he was willing to risk instead of being a wuss, has led to some picks, yes, but has also led to his greatness as a playmaker.

Tarlam!
11-09-2007, 10:03 AM
The fact that he was willing to risk instead of being a wuss, has led to some picks, yes, but has also led to his greatness as a playmaker.

Yeah, but that's how a GB Fan thinks. He resurrected this very proud ball club, and the very proud fan base does not have as short a memory as say, the average 49ers fan.

There's a reason why teams fail in this league, then fold and the franchise moves to another city. The fan is fickle. Just not in GB, WI. Maybe, it's because they knew, i.e. before it was made a community owned team, that if the team folded for another city, say, Milwaukee, they'd never get another team. I am just thinking out loud, here.

In summary: BF is GREAT on 31 other teams. 100% HOF on this team.

Merlin
11-09-2007, 11:17 AM
Another Favre stat for this season:

He has more 40+ yard completions then any other QB in the NFL, including Tom Brady.

swede
11-09-2007, 12:11 PM
Another Favre stat for this season:

He has more 40+ yard completions then any other QB in the NFL, including Tom Brady. 8-)