PDA

View Full Version : DID DONALD DRIVER SIGN AN EXTENSION? RUMOR

gbpackfan
05-10-2006, 10:02 PM
There are rumors floating all over the net, no real credible sites, that DD has signed a contract extension. Has anyone else heard anything like this? Again, I am not reporting this as fact just looking to find more about this reported extension. Thanks.

MJZiggy
05-10-2006, 10:17 PM
I can't find anything. Where did you see it?

gbpackfan
05-10-2006, 10:19 PM
forums at

Packerchatters.com

and

packerreport.com

Like I said, nothing credible!

GrnBay007
05-10-2006, 10:24 PM
Hope it's true. DD should get paid. It's unreal Fergy is making more money than Driver.

MJZiggy
05-10-2006, 10:27 PM
I'm with you on that one. I've been wanting Driver paid since the first Walker mess. He's the kind of guy you want to see win big.

Pack0514
05-11-2006, 08:05 AM
If this is true I think it is kinda humorous that Driver signed an extension after Walker was traded just as (I believe) Al Harris signed an extension just after Mike McKenzie was traded. Kinda like a slap in the face to the traded player.

We'll see if this is true.

beakerman
05-11-2006, 08:21 AM
Or more of an example to other players on the roster, that if you play as a team player, put up your numbers on the field, keep you mouth shut and your money will come.

RashanGary
05-11-2006, 08:51 AM
I doubt it's true. Also, I hope it's not because paying guys before their deals are up is a horrible mistake.

GBRulz
05-11-2006, 08:58 AM
I have a hard time believing this one. While the thought that Fergy makes more than DD is hard for me to stomach, the Packers were very firm on not redoing deals with more than a year left on them.

If the Packers do this now, they lose alot of credibility IMO. I'm sure we'll see an extension in the middle of the season, but not right now.

MJZiggy
05-11-2006, 09:04 AM
I wonder if the comment Driver's agent made that they were talking about it got blown out of proportion. He said it during the Walker drama when it was suggested that DD wanted out too.

Green Bud Packer
05-11-2006, 09:15 AM
most info from packerchatters is bogus. DD is to high class of a guy to threaten the pack for more cash. like others have posted mid season or the end of season would be a good time to try and re-do DD's contract.

GBRulz
05-11-2006, 04:12 PM
ok, so I was wrong. Driver DID get an extension.

Story from GB Press gazette....

Green Bay Packers receiver Donald Driver has signed a two-year contract extension that runs through 2009.

The general parameters of the contract were listed on the NFL Players Association Web site, and the deal was confirmed by an NFL source on Thursday afternoon. The source said the deal was completed last week.

For more on the story, go to www.PackersNews.com.

GBRulz
05-11-2006, 04:15 PM
ok found more info here.....

Packers give Driver 2-year extension

By Rob Demovsky
PackersNews.com

Green Bay Packers receiver Donald Driver has signed a two-year contract extension that runs through 2009.

The general parameters of the contract were listed on the NFL Players Association Web site, and the deal was confirmed by an NFL source on Thursday afternoon. The source said the deal was completed last week.

The contract actually lowers Driver’s base salary for this season from $1.36 million to $950,000 but almost certainly includes some bonus money to be paid this season. The exact bonus was not immediately available.

The extension also raised Driver’s 2007 base salary from $1.84 million to $2.7 million. His base salaries for the two additional years are $2.9 million in 2008 and $3.9 million in 2009. Driver’s original contract expired after the 2007 season.

The Packers haven’t typically extended contracts of players with more than one year remaining, so it’s unclear why they did so with Driver, 31, who caught a career-high 86 catches for 1,221 yards and five touchdowns.

MJZiggy
05-11-2006, 04:23 PM
The Packers haven’t typically extended contracts of players with more than one year remaining, so it’s unclear why they did so with Driver, 31, who caught a career-high 86 catches for 1,221 yards and five touchdowns.

Maybe it's because Driver caught a career-high 86 catches for 1,221 yards and five touchdowns? Either that or they just wanted to slap Javon upside the head and this was the easiest way to piss him off. Driver does completely deserve it thought and if TT's trying to send a message to the younger players that this is the type of player that gets rewarded, he couldn't have picked a better way to send that message.

GBRulz
05-11-2006, 04:25 PM
Totally agree with you, Zig. I just hope that it doesn't cause problems with other players though.

RashanGary
05-11-2006, 04:31 PM
Damn it...By doing this it sure makes you feel like Walker was a mistake. I thought it was a good move because it would prevent players from getting in line for extentions before they are up. Now guys are going to be getting in line and doing the same thing anyway and we lost the teams best player.

Thompson found a way to get the worste of both worlds.

MJZiggy
05-11-2006, 04:31 PM
If the other players start to gripe, TT can always refer to the fact that DD outplayed his contract for years without a word of complaint and that attitude along with his performance is what led to the reward. It would be pretty hard to whine as doing so would negate the main reason for the reward and disprove their own case.

gbpackfan
05-11-2006, 04:48 PM
I LOVE that DD got an extension. He deserved it so he got it. Good work TT.

NOTE: I got this rumor from a guy on packerchatters.com, so I cant take the credit on this one. He said he spoke to DD in texas a couple days ago.

Joemailman
05-11-2006, 04:58 PM
Maybe Driver got an extension because he didn't threaten to hold out if he didn't get his way. He handled the situation the way a professional should. A lot of people rolled their eyes when McCarthy talked about wanting "Packer People". I think we're getting an idea of what he meant by "Packer People". Driver is. Walker Wasn't.

Harlan Huckleby
05-11-2006, 05:04 PM
Driver got an extension and deserved it.

Some say he was rewarded for "doing things right."

It is more realistic to say that Harris and Driver benefited from McKenzie & Walker "doing things wrong." Thompson took prememptive action.

RashanGary
05-11-2006, 05:07 PM
We'll see how this works out. Losing Walker and then doing to Driver what we could have done for Walker makes this seem pretty questionable.

I'm not going to jump to conclusions just yet but this could be Thompsons worste move ever. I just hope a big line doesn't form at Thompsons door for the same treatment. Good teams have a bunch of guys overperforming. If we ever become a good team we are going to run into some real issues with money and we won't beable to become great.

Harlan Huckleby
05-11-2006, 05:07 PM
Maybe Driver got an extension because he didn't threaten to hold out if he didn't get his way. He handled the situation the way a professional should.

If Thompson was certain he could get away with not giving Driver an extension, he would not have. Walker improved Driver's bargaining position. Driver should send Walker 10%.

This is not a game where nice guys get rewarded. It is a brutal game of hard bargaining.

Homer Jay
05-11-2006, 05:14 PM
Somebody remind me. Was this Drivers first contract since his rookie year or did he fulfill his rookie contract , sign a new deal and have that reworked?

Chubbyhubby
05-11-2006, 05:19 PM
Driver got an extension and deserved it.

Some say he was rewarded for "doing things right."

It is more realistic to say that Harris and Driver benefited from McKenzie & Walker "doing things wrong." Thompson took prememptive action.

I agree we got high character guys in the draft. TT set an example of Driver by doing this by saying if work very hard and keep your mouth shut you will get rewarded in the future. I am glad the deal got done.

PS Walker was not the best player on this team as one poster pointed out Brett Favre is.

Partial
05-11-2006, 05:28 PM
definitely had it reworked to some degree, he was a 7th round pick in like 1999 I believe.

Homer Jay
05-11-2006, 05:38 PM
My point is that DD wasn't trying to redo a rookie contract with 2 years left on it. To me that is the big difference.

Harlan Huckleby
05-11-2006, 05:43 PM
My point is that DD wasn't trying to redo a rookie contract with 2 years left on it. To me that is the big difference.

How do you know what went on behind the scenes? (I realize your main point is that it is not a rookie contract.)

If Thompson had announced in February 2005 that he had extended Javon Walker's contract, the fan response would have been the same. "Good, he certainly deserved it!"

Partial
05-11-2006, 05:45 PM

sorry I just skimmed i misunderstood u. my eyes and mind are very much tired from finals

MJZiggy
05-11-2006, 05:55 PM

How do you know what went on behind the scenes? (I realize your main point is that it is not a rookie contract.)

If Thompson had announced in February 2005 that he had extended Javon Walker's contract, the fan response would have been the same. "Good, he certainly deserved it!"

He didn't want it extended; he wanted it redone.

Homer Jay
05-11-2006, 05:59 PM

I don't.

Driver was a to be an unrestricted free agent in 2003. He is on his second contract and is now going to be paid like a #1 receiver. To me there is a big difference in redoing his deal after getting better every year. I haven't read or heard anything that leads me to believe Walker would have re-signed in February or any other time.

Harlan Huckleby
05-11-2006, 06:00 PM
He didn't want it extended; he wanted it redone.

There is no difference between the two.

For some reason, this got me to thinking about king-sized snickers bars.

Harlan Huckleby
05-11-2006, 06:04 PM
Driver was a to be an unrestricted free agent in 2003. He is on his second contract and is now going to be paid like a #1 receiver. To me there is a big difference in redoing his deal after getting better every year. I haven't read or heard anything that leads me to believe Walker would have re-signed in February or any other time.

you mean 2008, right?

I see little or no difference between Driver's situation and Walker's. They were at similar points in their careers, nearing their last contract.

Walker went public with his unhappiness in March 2005. Things went downhill from there. I don't know what went on behind the scenes, I'm not blaming Thompson. I just wish Walker & Thompson had worked things out privately.

Homer Jay
05-11-2006, 06:10 PM
No, I mean he re-signed with the Packers when he would have been an unrestricted free agent in 2003. He fulfilled his rookie contract. To me, that is a big difference. He fulfilled his rookie contract, and according to him and his agent never threatened any type of holdout concerning his current contract. I just don't think you can compare the two situations.

wist43
05-11-2006, 06:15 PM
First of all, I have no problem with extending Driver... BUT,

for all of you embittered Walker bashers to now be singing TT's praises for extending DD in exactly the same manner that I was calling for Walker to be extended last year is duplicitous... you're hypocrites.

You bash Walker b/c he was unhappy with his contract and he's now a former Packer - and, since he's now a former Packer, he of course, sucks, right??? You're hypocrites.

-------------------

DD is a nice player, but he is 31 and really isn't a bonafide #1 receiver. Walker, on the other hand, was 27 last year, coming off a pro bowl, his upside was obvious, and theretofore had been nothing but a model citizen in the clubhouse and in the community.

DD is unlikely to produce numbers better than he has the past two years (which were good numbers), while Walker was just coming into his prime, and his ceiling was much higher.

No GM in their right mind would take DD over Walker... now maybe with the knee some would hedge, but even with the knee most would still take Walker. He's an explosive player maker... DD is just a good player.

I can't fathom why TT would dis a young, in his prime, blue-chip player like Walker - citing the "more than 1 year left" mantra - and then turn around and do the exact thing he said he wouldn't do, for a player that is inferior in skill and upside in DD.

It's beyond my comprehesion.

The Leaper
05-11-2006, 06:15 PM
Nick, you are grasping at straws.

Driver deserved some extra coin. He's been a consistent receiver for 3-4 years, and has one of the best work ethics on the team. This helps show the young kids that hard nosed play and good character is what will be rewarded.

This is an excellent move by Thompson. I still believe Thompson has to learn how to better diffuse any future situations with disgruntled employees, because I thought he handled the Walker situation poorly. I will always hold to the viewpoint that it is not in the best interest of the team to ignore a high talent player who is concerned with his pay scale. That doesn't mean you give the guy what he wants...but at least be willing to step up and put what you believe to be a fair offer on the table. Walker's street value last offseason was CONSIDERABLY more than his rookie deal, and as such you need to be willing to do what is necessary to see if you can prevent a situation from occuring.

Nice job Donald. You are a credit to the Packers, and I'm happy to see you get what you deserve.

Homer Jay
05-11-2006, 06:22 PM
Wist, I'm checking my posts and can't see where I bashed Walker. He is the one who came out and said he would retire rather than ever playing in Green Bay again. That's not bashing, thats the facts.

In the past 4 seasons Donald Driver has failed to get 1000+ receiving yards once, and that was because he missed some games. He fulfilled his original contract and never threatened to holdout or cause any trouble. He wanted to be in Green Bay. It looks like apples and oranges to me.

The Leaper
05-11-2006, 06:25 PM
No, I mean he re-signed with the Packers when he would have been an unrestricted free agent in 2003. He fulfilled his rookie contract. To me, that is a big difference. He fulfilled his rookie contract, and according to him and his agent never threatened any type of holdout concerning his current contract. I just don't think you can compare the two situations.

What the hell is the difference between a rookie contract and any other contract?

If anything, the rookie contract is far more logical to rework...because it isn't actually based on ANYTHING other than draft slotting. Basically, if you are saying a guy has to play out his rookie deal, then you are forcing him to accept less money than he deserves if his level of production is greater than that of his draft position.

Regular contracts are actually based on NFL performance...and so I would see less of an argument for a player to rework a contract that wasn't a rookie deal.

Homer Jay
05-11-2006, 06:31 PM
I didn't realize Walker had been forced to sign his rookie contract. If you sign a contract you live up to it. Walker got a nice signing bonus for signing as a rookie in the NFL. He still had 2 years left on the deal and wanted to start all over because he had one very good year. His situation is much different than Driver's. IMO

The Leaper
05-11-2006, 06:45 PM
I didn't realize Walker had been forced to sign his rookie contract.

What does this mean? No one in the NFL...rookie or otherwise...is forced to sign a contract. So does this mean you should never rework soneone's deal?

If you sign a contract you live up to it.

Walker did live up to it. He capitalized on his talent and turned in a monster season where he became one of the biggest playmakers in the game. If that isn't living up to a deal, I don't know what is.

Walker got a nice signing bonus for signing as a rookie in the NFL.

Who cares? The point is that Green Bay had an extremely young talented WR on their roster...and they should've done more to try to keep him happy and in a Packer uniform. Instead, they ignored him...and Walker got his way out of Green Bay.

He still had 2 years left on the deal and wanted to start all over because he had one very good year. His situation is much different than Driver's. IMO

Yes, they are different. Driver is being rewarded for past performance. However, being rewarded for potential FUTURE performance is the norm in the NFL. That is what the rookie bonus that you are constantly blabbering about is all about. Walker's potential FUTURE performance far exceeded the value of his rookie deal one year ago. As such, I feel he was justified in trying to do what he could to gain more financial security. I personally feel he did a poor job going about it, but I don't criticize him for trying.

Homer Jay
05-11-2006, 06:48 PM
To put it simply Leaper, we disagree.

To threaten to retire is not my idea of living up to ones contract. Ask for more money, fine. What he did after that was handled poorly on his part. IMO

RashanGary
05-11-2006, 06:53 PM
The way I look at it, the Packers got worse for losing Walker. Walker is better than almost every WR in the game. The Packers gave him up for a 2nd round pick.

I was behind Thompson because I unsderstand teh buisness aspect adn you don't want to get in the habbit of paying every guy who wants more money because good team have many such players.

Now I cannot possibly be behind Thompson for letting the most exploisive and dominate weapon the Packers had go and then doing to Driver who is 31 and not as good what he could have done for Walker..

WTF is all I can say. If you're gonna redo contracts at least do it for fucking playmakers and not good players.

Scott Campbell
05-11-2006, 07:07 PM
Nick, your playmaker had 4 receptions for 29 yards last year.

RashanGary
05-11-2006, 07:11 PM
Reliable stat SC.....

GBRulz
05-11-2006, 08:09 PM
Driver wasn't demanding top WR money, either. That also makes a big difference

Partial
05-11-2006, 08:35 PM
The way I look at it, the Packers got worse for losing Walker. Walker is better than almost every WR in the game. The Packers gave him up for a 2nd round pick.

I was behind Thompson because I unsderstand teh buisness aspect adn you don't want to get in the habbit of paying every guy who wants more money because good team have many such players.

Now I cannot possibly be behind Thompson for letting the most exploisive and dominate weapon the Packers had go and then doing to Driver who is 31 and not as good what he could have done for Walker..

WTF is all I can say. If you're gonna redo contracts at least do it for fucking playmakers and not good players.

you don't know that he didn't try.

RashanGary
05-11-2006, 09:06 PM
Driver wasn't demanding top WR money, either. That also makes a big difference

Really good point...This is just one of those things that I'm going to have to wait and see on.

Some things you just know as a fan are good. This one is questionable at best.

b bulldog
05-11-2006, 09:10 PM
The wr's without Walker are not going to scare anyone. That being said, they had to deal him. I think getting a 2 for him was a good deal.

MJZiggy
05-11-2006, 09:11 PM
I can't find anything wrong with this one. DD did what was right and in the face of what everyone else did wrong, TT rewarded him. I see no problem with that.

b bulldog
05-11-2006, 09:12 PM
Quickie is a professional!

HarveyWallbangers
05-11-2006, 09:25 PM
I see little or no difference between Driver's situation and Walker's. They were at similar points in their careers, nearing their last contract.

There is a difference. Driver signed his new contract in 2003, and has mostly outperformed his contract since. Walker signed a 5 year contract as a rookie, and had 1 good, 1 bad, and 1 average year in the first three years of the deal. You could say Walker outplayed his contract in one of the 3 years. Other things do come into play (e.g. attitude and leadership), so it's not all about stats either.

Harlan Huckleby
05-11-2006, 10:35 PM
well Harvey, one more difference: Driver is a good player, Walker is a great one.

pbmax
05-11-2006, 11:36 PM
Driver is on AT LEAST his fourth contract BEFORE this extension, as he was an RFA in 2002 and signed a one year tender, and would have had one other tender in 2003 prior to the big November deal in 2003.

So differences between Driver and Walker:
1. Didn't demand to leave or declare that he would never play for Green Bay.
2. Had signed and fulfilled three previous contracts.
3. Known commodity, not a one year wonder.
4. Does not have an ACL injury.
5. Wasn't demanding top 5 money, but money commensurate with the ability he has demonstrated over a 7 year career.
6. Out performed contract in last calendar year

And this is the list I would show the next McKenzie or Walker who demand a redo. Meet these qualifications and we will talk.

Walker obviously is the bigger talent. But his track record was shorter, he had demanded more money on his first contract after year 3 and he went public first and when the answer wasn't to his liking, he demanded to be moved. This seems pretty clear cut.

And remember, it is not in Thompson's best interest to talk about what he told Javon and his reps. Any ground he was willing to give or consider could be used against him by other players. It also doesn't serve the team to tick off the agent by releasing public info on what they may have gotten if they had waited or what they turned down.

Walker has nothing but a piece of paper right now. He needs to have a good and healthy season this year. Even then, the Broncos could come knocking about restructuring the $10 million next year. He has pocketed no cash and has no leverage, unless he lights up the league.

HarveyWallbangers
05-12-2006, 12:11 AM
well Harvey, one more difference: Driver is a good player, Walker is a great one.

We'll see. Unlike most, I think Driver is a legit #1 receiver and I feel he's in the same league as Javon. Very underrated. He's had huge seasons as the #1 with Schroeder or Ferguson on the other side and as the #2 with Javon on the other side. Not only that, Driver has shown that his professionalism will not wane after getting the big contract. Assume that Walker will be the same way, but we'll see. A lot of guys have regressed after getting paid (see Antonio Freeman).

I'd have given Javon a slight edge before, but that was before he tore his knee up. Rod Smith is getting up there in age, so we'll see just how good Javon truly is.

Driver
70-1064-9 in 2002 as #1 with Schroeds on the other side
84-1208-9 in 2004 with Javon on the other side
86-1221-5 in 2005 as #1 with Fergy on the other side

Walker
89-1382-12 in 2004 with Driver on the other side
68 receptions his other 3 years combined

wist43
05-12-2006, 07:25 AM
As I said, I don't have a problem with extending Driver...

but, some arguments and rationale you guys are coming up with simply don't hold up when comparing Driver and Walker.

Some of you have agreed that one of the reasons extending Driver was a good move was b/c "he wasn't demanding top money"... There's a reason he wasn't demanding top money - he's not a legit #1 receiver. If he were, he would demand top money, and what's more, he would get it. If not from the Packers, then from someone else.

Furthermore, to compare Driver and Walker in similar periods in their careers is a nonstarter as well. In Drivers case, going into his fourth year, there was serious doubt as to whether he would even make the team. Walker, on the other hand, was blossoming into a pro bowl receiver, and near All-Pro.

I like Driver both in the locker room and as a player - and, I'm glad TT extended him. But, in terms of value, Driver isn't even close Walker... the only thing that has driven Walker's value down is his knee injury. Talent wise??? Walker is a much more explosive and talented player.

Only one GM in the league would take Driver over Walker - TT.

MJZiggy
05-12-2006, 07:27 AM
Just a curious thing to ponder, but I wonder how Walker would have fared had t been Driver who went down and it was Walker facing all the double and triple teams...interesting.

Bretsky
05-12-2006, 07:59 AM
Damn it...By doing this it sure makes you feel like Walker was a mistake. I thought it was a good move because it would prevent players from getting in line for extentions before they are up. Now guys are going to be getting in line and doing the same thing anyway and we lost the teams best player.

Thompson found a way to get the worste of both worlds.

Not sure I completely agree with this. Driver performed at a high level for a few years in a row and was the prime example of what a Packer should be....charities, community appearances...class act. So IMO his contributions to Green Bay and the community were far greater than what was just on the field so TT rewarded that.

JW, on the other hand, was a me first guy. The opposite of a Henderson or Driver. He excelled one year and wanted to break the bank.

That being said, Nick, I would completely agree that Ted Thompson made some errors with Javon Walker and the first was probably actively going to him and his agent last year and saying, listen, perform this year and we'll extend you and make you a wealthy man. But TT's apparent snottiness, pr JW, hurt the Packers.

Ultimately I think GB could have kept him if they were more personable to JW. But that IMO is not TT's strength.

Bretsky
05-12-2006, 08:05 AM
First of all, I have no problem with extending Driver... BUT,

for all of you embittered Walker bashers to now be singing TT's praises for extending DD in exactly the same manner that I was calling for Walker to be extended last year is duplicitous... you're hypocrites.

You bash Walker b/c he was unhappy with his contract and he's now a former Packer - and, since he's now a former Packer, he of course, sucks, right??? You're hypocrites.

-------------------

DD is a nice player, but he is 31 and really isn't a bonafide #1 receiver. Walker, on the other hand, was 27 last year, coming off a pro bowl, his upside was obvious, and theretofore had been nothing but a model citizen in the clubhouse and in the community.

DD is unlikely to produce numbers better than he has the past two years (which were good numbers), while Walker was just coming into his prime, and his ceiling was much higher.

No GM in their right mind would take DD over Walker... now maybe with the knee some would hedge, but even with the knee most would still take Walker. He's an explosive player maker... DD is just a good player.

I can't fathom why TT would dis a young, in his prime, blue-chip player like Walker - citing the "more than 1 year left" mantra - and then turn around do the exact thing he said he wouldn't do, for a player that is inferior in skill and upside in DD.

It's beyond my comprehesion.

Wist,

You make some good points in here, and I'd agree that TT made some mistakes in this process (not reassuring him he would redo the deal in the future). And Walker is undoubtedly better than DD and now we've witnessed two offensive weapons leave that will be hard to replace in Wahle and Walker.

The one thing about your posts I'd disagree with is Walker being the model citizen. From my understanding DD did a lot more for the community and valued the area.........aka....Packers a lot more. And the way DD went about this showed class. DD's a much better person.

Bretsky
05-12-2006, 08:07 AM
Wist, I'm checking my posts and can't see where I bashed Walker. He is the one who came out and said he would retire rather than ever playing in Green Bay again. That's not bashing, thats the facts.

In the past 4 seasons Donald Driver has failed to get 1000+ receiving yards once, and that was because he missed some games. He fulfilled his original contract and never threatened to holdout or cause any trouble. He wanted to be in Green Bay. It looks like apples and oranges to me.

First off let's not throw rocks just at TT; Javon Walker was a whining pissbaby through this process. Unlike taking the high road like Driver, he used the media and his agents to make this a high profile battle with GB. Anybody who doesn't think this was part of the problem is severely bias.

Mistakes were made on both sides.

gureski
05-12-2006, 08:22 AM
There was a guy who ran a publication (not sure if he's issuing it this year) and he was called the 'Football Scientist'. This guy watched every snap of every game for every NFL team and then documented scouting reports on the various players. He was good.

What this guy said, going into last year, was that Donald Driver actually outplayed J.Walker during the year in which Walker drummed up his best statistics as a pro and went to the pro-bowl.

The point is that there is legitimate debate as to whether or not Walker was so head and shoulders above Driver to begin with. Driver can be a #1 WR. He's done it before. He was the only legitimate receiving threat on the field for most of last season and was double and triple covered and yet he STILL managed to make plays! Nobody should be questioning Donald Driver! He has earned his contract extension and his status as a #1 calibur WR. He is proven.

I"m sick of hearing the whines and cries about Walker getting a raw deal. I heard LeRoy Butler whining on TMJ this morning about how the Packers now can be seen to have had a double-standard and how that's what Walker had been pointing out the whole time. I could've just puked after hearing that. The guy had one good season. That's it. One season of real good play does not give a player the entitlement of a new deal. There is no double standard! No player has a RIGHT or entitlement to an extension! That's the problem here. Some people here and in the media are talking as if Walker deserved and earned a new deal and are up in arms that the Packers gave Driver an extension but wouldn't for Walker. In order to get to that point you have to believe that Walker earned or deserved the extension and there is no way you can honestly look at Walker and state that he earned and deserved anything! He had one good year. That's it! I'm proud that Thompson didnt' give in or else we'd be tied into big money for a guy who is a question mark now due to his injury!

And on that 2nd round pick we got for Walker.....It had the value of a normal late first rounder in an average year! This years draft was absolutely stocked with talent! The value of the player and the calibur of the players available with the 37th overall pick were just as good as the players available at the end of the 1st round last year and as good as the players that will be available at the end of the first round next year! It was a good trade.

Green Bud Packer
05-12-2006, 08:32 AM
it will be interesting to see how walker performs this year.his knee should be healed but most guys take two full years to return to pre injury form.denver is making walker play this season for the same money he would have gotten from the pack so they are banking on his future, not the present,as a play maker.it was no surprise ted extended drivers deal cuz the pack and dd's agent have been talking all off-season.when i think of walker, alvin harper keeps popping into my mind.one great year, a big contract with a new team and never coming close to being the same player he was with dallas.all in all i think it was a good idea to lock dd up for the next four years.he should have a positive effect on jennings and maybe even rub off a little on gardner.i'm glad walkers gone and i wish him hell in denver.

wist43
05-12-2006, 08:54 AM
Just a curious thing to ponder, but I wonder how Walker would have fared had t been Driver who went down and it was Walker facing all the double and triple teams...interesting.

Walker was facing double teams the year before when he and Driver were both healthy and on the field... opposing defenses certainly understood who the real threat was - it wasn't Driver.

Like someone said earlier, "without Walker, nobody is afraid of any of the Packers WR's"... Sorry, but that's just the reality of it.

The Leaper
05-12-2006, 08:55 AM
Unlike most, I think Driver is a legit #1 receiver and I feel he's in the same league as Javon. Very underrated. He's had huge seasons as the #1 with Schroeder or Ferguson on the other side and as the #2 with Javon on the other side. Not only that, Driver has shown that his professionalism will not wane after getting the big contract.

I agree with most of this. The main difference between Javon and Driver IMO is that Walker is much more of a playmaker. Driver doesn't possess the size to be a major factor in the redzone like Walker is. That is why Javon will typically put more points on the board, and why he generally is considered more valuable. Everyone knew Walker was going deep the majority of the time...and they still couldn't stop him from scoring. That is impressive...and something Driver can't accomplish nearly as well. They were excellent complimentary receivers...which is why I'm surprised Thompson didn't try harder to make Javon happy in Green Bay.

Badgepack
05-12-2006, 09:07 AM
Didn't Favre's production improve alot when Sharpe retired(not that Jwalk is a Sharpe) and he had numerous good receivers and not 1 go to guy?

pbmax
05-12-2006, 09:44 AM
I"m sick of hearing the whines and cries about Walker getting a raw deal. I heard LeRoy Butler whining on TMJ this morning about how the Packers now can be seen to have had a double-standard and how that's what Walker had been pointing out the whole time.
I don't see Butler's point here. Walker was arguing that the Packers didn't pay their top players and they had to leave or hold out to get money. His point was they are cheapskates, not hypocritical. They have redone very few deals with two years left to go.

Signing Driver sends the message that Walker's full of bologna. That there may be a right way and a wrong way to ask for a renegotiation.

wist's point about losing the more talented player by standing on this principle is valid. But we don't know what Walker was offered or told, and only Walker is talking about it.

Wolf never commented on this, but I know some consider WR a position where you can find talent more easily than some others. Maybe Walker fell victim to the same philosophy that let Wahle go: Your replacement will be a lot cheaper and at your position, easy to find.

Sparkey
05-12-2006, 10:19 AM
Walker is a physically gifted athlete who poses excellent hand strength and great leaping abilities, BUT he still ran routes incorrectly and has never been considered a great route runner, yet he wanted to get paid like the greats.

The Leaper
05-12-2006, 10:21 AM
Didn't Favre's production improve alot when Sharpe retired(not that Jwalk is a Sharpe) and he had numerous good receivers and not 1 go to guy?

That had more to do with Favre's progression as a young QB than anything else. Favre was going to improve whether or not Sharpe was still around. If Sharpe hadn't been forced to retire early, I think Green Bay would've challenged for the NFL title a year or two sooner.

wist43
05-12-2006, 12:47 PM
Over the course of his career, the Packers failed miserably when it came to providing Favre with weapons at the WR position. In fact, prior to drafting Walker, I would argue that they couldn't care less about providing him with weapons. Wolfe actually cites this as one of his regrets during his tenure as GM.

During his career, Favre has thrown to one elite receiver (Walker), two very good receivers (Sharpe and Rison), one good receiver (Driver), and one slightly above average receiver (Freeman) - and that's it - all the rest are junk.

That's probably one of the principle reasons that I'm furious with TT and the Packers and how they bungled the Walker situation.

With a HOF QB like Favre, we should have had at least 2-3 SB titles. Now his run is over, and it may be another 30 years before the Packers have another shot at a SB.

gureski
05-12-2006, 01:35 PM
During his career, Favre has thrown to one elite receiver (Walker), two very good receivers (Sharpe and Rison), one good receiver (Driver), and one slightly above average receiver (Freeman) - and that's it - all the rest are junk.

That's probably one of the principle reasons that I'm furious with TT and the Packers and how they bungled the Walker situation.

How does one single year of pro-bowl calibur play make Javon Walker an 'elite wr'?

Is A.Boldin of Arizona an ELITE WR?

Is Reggie Wayne an ELITE WR?

Is Andre Johnson of Houston an ELITE WR?

Is Michael Clayton of Tampa Bay an ELITE WR?

All these guys had at least one really really good Pro-Bowl calibur season and all are talented. Maybe you can tell me how you can call Walker ELITE but these guys regular when they, statistically, had similar starts to their careers?

I'll tell you that each of these guys are really good but none of them are ELITE. That category is reserved for the very very best WR's in the NFL. Owens, Moss, Harrison... Chad Johnson may be joining that club. Torry Holt. There aren't many ELITE players in any category for any position. DOn't throw that label around loosely. Walker has done NOTHING to earn the label of ELITE. That's the biggest p roblem with the Pro-Walker crowd right now. You're all buying into the fact that he's the real deal before he's proven anything. He had one Pro-Bowl season. That's a fact, not a myth. One good season doesn't carry anyone to the Hall of Fame.

gureski
05-12-2006, 01:40 PM
And I'll tell you another thing.... for you to say that Walker is/was better then Sterling Sharpe shows that you didn't watch Sterling Sharpe play. Sharpe was one of the ELITE WR's in the NFL and he did it on crappy teams. In case you didn't know, Sharpe set the single season reception record at something like 106 or 108 catches. He may have set it and then broken it the following year. I do'nt recall all the details but he was an incredible talent at the WR Position that was on track for a Hall of Fame career when injury robbed him of that honor.

it's not even close when comparing Walker and Sharpe. it's actually offensive to compare a one year wonder who has a double surgery-gimpy knee to one of the top offensive playmakers the Packers ever had at WR. If I'm not mistaken, Sharpe set some records as a WR for the packers in certain receiving categories that were held by Don Hutson! Not too shabby to break records set by Don Hutson!

You're way overstating Walker's value. You couldn't have watched Sharpe play much at all to be talking like this! I was in Detroit at the Wildcard playoff game in 1994 when Sterling Sharpe managed to haul in 3 TD's including the game winner! He threw that team on his back that day and it wasn't the first time! When did Walker every pull the Packers on his back?

The Leaper
05-12-2006, 01:41 PM
Wist...you are insane.

Sharpe wasn't an elite WR? Go back and look at the stats this guy put up over 7 years.

Sharpe 595-8134 13.7 65td

Sterling Sharpe was easily a better receiver than Javon Walker. He led the LEAGUE (not team, not conference...LEAGUE) in receptions 3 times in his 7 seasons...led the LEAGUE in TDs twice and yardage once. Was statistically a top 5 NFL receiver 4 of his 7 years in the league. He only played SEVEN YEARS and is one of the top 40 WRs all time in yardage and TDs. Mind you, Sharpe accomplished all of this during the prime of the NFL's greatest WR...Jerry Rice.

gureski
05-12-2006, 01:42 PM
Wist...you are insane.

Sharpe wasn't an elite WR? Go back and look at the stats this guy put up over 7 years.

Sharpe 595-8134 13.7 65td

Sterling Sharpe was easily a better receiver than Javon Walker. He led the LEAGUE (not team, not conference...LEAGUE) in receptions 3 times in his 7 seasons...led the LEAGUE in TDs twice and yardage once. Was statistically a top 5 NFL receiver 4 of his 7 years in the league. He only played SEVEN YEARS and is one of the top 40 WRs all time in yardage and TDs. Mind you, Sharpe accomplished all of this during the prime of the NFL's greatest WR...Jerry Rice.

Absolutely! This guy never saw Sharpe play to be saying Sharpe wasn't ELITE but Walker is. No doubt about it.

The Leaper
05-12-2006, 01:43 PM
It's not even close when comparing Walker and Sharpe. it's actually offensive to compare a one year wonder who has a double surgery-gimpy knee to one of the top offensive playmakers the Packers ever had at WR. If I'm not mistaken, Sharpe set some records as a WR for the packers in certain receiving categories that were held by Don Hutson! Not too shabby to break records set by Don Hutson!

I agree 100%. Wist shows a real lack of knowledge by labelling Sharpe as a "good" WR. The guy would've been one of the 5 best all-time EASY had he been able to continue playing, especially with Favre as his QB. Even after only playing seven years, he still is statistically one of the 40 or 50 best of all-time.

Harlan Huckleby
05-12-2006, 01:44 PM
FRI., MAY 12, 2006
What we've got here is failure to communicate
TOM OATES, WSJ

Now that wide receiver Javon Walker has landed safely in Denver, the real reason for his discontent with the Green Bay Packers has come out.

It was - what else? - money that caused Walker to become so disenchanted with the Packers that he forced a draft-day trade to the Broncos.

It certainly wasn't quarterback Brett Favre, even after Favre took Walker to task over a threatened holdout last year.

"I would play with Favre if he went to another team," Walker told Denver reporters after signing a five-year contract extension worth about $40 million that will kick in after this season.

So Favre's off the hook. Don't worry, though, there is plenty of blame to go around.

Walker and general manager Ted Thompson must share responsibility for the failed relationship that has left the Packers without their No. 1 offensive threat. Walker's comments Wednesday and Thompson's decision to add two years to the remaining two on wide receiver Donald Driver's contract Thursday showed that all of this could have been avoided with better communication and more flexibility last year.

Walker clearly has an inflated sense of his football worth after just one good season, but what ticked him off was Thompson's refusal to even discuss a renegotiation of his contract when it had two years to go last summer.

"I said, 'Let's just talk about it,' " Walker said. "It was just a flat-out, disrespectful 'No.' "

Driver's extension shows Thompson learned from that. Good. But Thompson might have been able to save the marriage had he told Walker last summer that they would talk about a new contract during the season if Walker was performing at his Pro Bowl level of 2004. That became a moot point after Walker suffered a serious knee injury in the opener, but Walker's statements in Denver indicate Thompson never told him any such thing.

Thompson probably still could have placated Walker if he had approached him about a new contract while Walker was rehabilitating from knee surgery during the season. There is precedent for this, too.

After offensive tackle Mark Tauscher suffered a serious knee injury early in the 2002 season, the Packers gave him a six-year, $17.4 million contract extension that November. Tauscher got a $1.5 million signing bonus, but most of the bonuses and salary were backloaded in the contract, a compromise that protected the team in case Tauscher didn't return to form and gave Tauscher a chance to earn good money if he did.

Couldn't Thompson have approached Walker last season with a similar, though larger, deal in mind?

It's not far-fetched when you consider the contract extension Walker accepted with Denver, which is structured much like Tauscher's. The Broncos will be on the hook for only $2.15 million this season and the bulk of the $15 million in bonuses will be paid in 2007 and '08. That protects the Broncos in case Walker doesn't return to form.

"I'm not worried about that," Walker said.

If he's not worried about that now, he probably wouldn't have been worried about it in November. And he might still be in Green Bay.

The Leaper
05-12-2006, 01:47 PM
Thompson was a flat out IDIOT for not being willing to at least step up to the table and try to hammer out a renegotiation. If Walker wasn't willing to give up his outrageous salary demands, then Ted would be welcome to walk away and wash his hands of the situation.

However, there is NO EXCUSE for ignoring Walker. None.

RashanGary
05-12-2006, 01:50 PM
I think Walker was demanding more up front from GB. When GB flat out refused to deal with his demands he was shipped off. I think it is very possible that after his experience in GB that he was humbled a bit and was willing to take a deal from Denver that was not all up front.

I could be wrong but after he left GB I'm pretty certain he was less confident in his negotiating tactics as he originally was with us. Anything written is all speculation and is only taking into account the statements of a player who got a 6 on the Wonderlic. I don't know if Walker even understands what happened with him.

RashanGary
05-12-2006, 01:53 PM
If everything went down exaclty as Walker stated then, yes, it was a problem. However, I highly doubt that the words coming out of his mouth are the complete truth. I'm sure he left out some convenient details like "I was demanding to get a 10 mil bonus up front in GB so they immediately clsoed the door"...You know, info like that, which helps explain the whole story.

Anyone supporting or non-supporing Thompson in this situation is doing so without some very important info.

jack's smirking revenge
05-12-2006, 01:56 PM
I tend to think that we don't know the whole story. Walker is blabbing; TT is stating "sometimes things just don't work out." I think he's taking the diplomatic approach and not sinking to Walk's level of criticism, letting Walk run off his mouth and knowing that nothing good could come with a media b#tchfest about what happened. What good would it do if TT came out and blasted Walk about the contract negotiations? It wouldn't look good to his team, to the fans or to the media. TT is taking a closed-lip approach, but I suspect there's much more to the story than a simple "no".

There are many sides to every story. In this one, we are truly only hearing JWalk's side. For the sake of team integrity, TT is not telling his side and I think he should be commended for that. He does NOT owe us a story. He owes us a competitive team.

tyler

The Leaper
05-12-2006, 02:00 PM
I think Thompson was pretty clear last year that he wasn't interested in negotiating with Walker...so unless you have evidence to suggest that Thompson did, I feel rather confident taking Walker's word for it. What reason does he have to lie now? He's gotten his wish to get out of town and has signed a new contract extension.

Walker may have approached this whole thing all wrong, but I haven't found him to be deceitful in the situation. If you have proof to the contrary, please share it.

RashanGary
05-12-2006, 02:20 PM
There is no proof either way leaper. All we're saying is that nobody knows. You can go off assumptions but at the end of the day that's all it is.

Harlan Huckleby
05-12-2006, 02:32 PM
Signing Driver sends the message that Walker's full of bologna. That there may be a right way and a wrong way to ask for a renegotiation.

Al Harris benefited from Mike McKenzie's holdout, just as Donald Driver benefited from Walker's protracted battle with management. The "good guys" have increased bargaining position because managment wants to avoid them becoming "bad guys."

This notion that management rewards nice people because the managers are nice people who like other nice people is a load of crap. If managment could get away behaving as ruthlessly as Vince Lombardi or George Halas, players would still be working jobs unloading trucks and selling life insurance in the offseason.

MJZiggy
05-12-2006, 03:03 PM
What reason does he have to lie now? He's gotten his wish to get out of town and has signed a new contract extension.

Walker may have approached this whole thing all wrong, but I haven't found him to be deceitful in the situation. If you have proof to the contrary, please share it.

What reason does he have to lie now? I would imagine that a fair number of people think (correctly, perhaps?) that JWalk was being a real boob over all this and if he can run his mouth off, then he gets to save face and be the victim of evil, Terrible Ted Thompson. Therefore, he cannot possibly be the money-hungry baby everyone's making him out to be. The one that approached this all wrong. It's all Ted's fault and JWalk in not culpable according to him. Does that Wonder even know what culpable means or should we break it down to make it easier on him?

The Leaper
05-12-2006, 03:14 PM
Walker said that the reason he left was because Thompson refused to negotiate his contract last year. That isn't faulting Thompson...just giving a REASON why Walker wanted out. Thompson wasn't going to rework Walker's deal because he wasn't proven commodity yet in his mind, and Javon was hurt by that. That is how it goes in the business of the NFL.

Thompson did not do nearly enough in terms of ensuring that Walker was happy and content in Green Bay. As a Packer fan, I wish he had done more...but I'm not overly upset because I believe Thompson received adequate value in return for Walker in the draft day trade. My take is that Thompson was far too cavalier regarding the situation...and got lucky that Denver was itchy to find a receiver, and that there wasn't one blue chip WR in this year's draft. Things could've turned out far worse for Green Bay.

gureski
05-12-2006, 04:02 PM
Thompson did not do nearly enough in terms of ensuring that Walker was happy and content in Green Bay. As a Packer fan, I wish he had done more...but I'm not overly upset because I believe Thompson received adequate value in return for Walker in the draft day trade. My take is that Thompson was far too cavalier regarding the situation...and got lucky that Denver was itchy to find a receiver, and that there wasn't one blue chip WR in this year's draft. Things could've turned out far worse for Green Bay.

Again, I will point out your fatal flaw. You need to understand that no player in the NFL is ENTITLED to an extension. YOu sign a contract and that's all you can count on. You can ask for an extension but the team has no obligation to even discuss your request.

You say Thompson didn't do enough to ensure Walker was happy?

I have two things to say to that...

1. Why can't you look at the situation and say that Walker didn't do enough to ensure he was worthy of an extension? Why is it automatically Thompson's fault? This wouldn't have been an issue if Walker had performed better during his contract. If he'd have just proven he was more then a 1 year wonder then he'd have been given a nice fat contract extension.

2. Since when the hell is it the GM's job to keep players happy with their contracts after they sign it? The answer is that it's not his problem! If you sign a bad deal and the team wont redo it then you have to live with that! That's nonsense to say Thompson should've coddled Walker and made him feel better! That's not what he's there to do.

pbmax
05-12-2006, 05:28 PM
This notion that management rewards nice people because the managers are nice people who like other nice people is a load of crap. If managment could get away behaving as ruthlessly as Vince Lombardi or George Halas, players would still be working jobs unloading trucks and selling life insurance in the offseason.
I am not saying Ted is nice and Driver is nice and isn't it nice it worked out. Teams make decisions every year on who to extend and for how much. They can't, nor would they want, to extend everyone.

By that token, trying to back the team into a corner is only going to work in certain circumstances. You usually need to leave to score the money, and Walker lost all leverage when he reported and got hurt. I am sure he believes that if he stuck to his guns and was healthy, he would have gotten guaranteed money by now.

If he hadn't demanded it publicly, he might still have gotten hurt and received the Tauscher treatment from GB. Or he might have been healthy all year and received the bonus money he believes he deserves. Either way, without going public, he would, at worst, be in the same situation, but with one additional team looking to keep him. A team with a greater need for a #1 WR than Denver. Eliminating a team that needs you from competing for your services reduces your price.

Harlan Huckleby
05-12-2006, 05:33 PM
I don't know what happened between Walker and Thompson. It's possible that Walker was too quick to force public confrontations, don't know.

One thing I strongly suspect: If Driver had not gotten his payday, he would have held-out. The man is taking a lot of hard hits, he is near the end of his career. I do not think he would wait until he is 33 to get his golden parachute.

Rastak
05-12-2006, 06:13 PM

Again, I will point out your fatal flaw. You need to understand that no player in the NFL is ENTITLED to an extension. YOu sign a contract and that's all you can count on. You can ask for an extension but the team has no obligation to even discuss your request.

You say Thompson didn't do enough to ensure Walker was happy?

I have two things to say to that...

1. Why can't you look at the situation and say that Walker didn't do enough to ensure he was worthy of an extension? Why is it automatically Thompson's fault? This wouldn't have been an issue if Walker had performed better during his contract. If he'd have just proven he was more then a 1 year wonder then he'd have been given a nice fat contract extension.

2. Since when the hell is it the GM's job to keep players happy with their contracts after they sign it? The answer is that it's not his problem! If you sign a bad deal and the team wont redo it then you have to live with that! That's nonsense to say Thompson should've coddled Walker and made him feel better! That's not what he's there to do.

Gureski, I see your point. But also keep in mind that:

1) No team is required to pay a guy, he only get's paid if the team says he makes the team.

2) No team is ENTITLED to a player showing up...if the player decides he wants to play for the team he gets paid what his contract says, otherwise he goes on with his life.

Niether side is REQUIRED to do anything.

wist43
05-12-2006, 06:38 PM
I can see where you guys would, and could, reasonably consider Sharpe an elite receiver. I liked Sharpe, and considered him a pro bowl calibur receiver... If that's elite, then, OK I'll go along with that.

For my money, I'd take Walker over Sharpe... IMO, Walker was the most talented WR to pass thru Green Bay since James Lofton. Unfortunately, that's all he did was pass thru - and, for that, I blame Thompson.

RashanGary
05-12-2006, 06:43 PM
Walker is not more talented than Sharpe. No way. Sharpe was phyiscally dominate. Walker is very, very good but he's not even in the top 5 today. Sharpe was the best at his position untill he got hurt.

RashanGary
05-12-2006, 06:56 PM
In 3 fully healthy seasons Walker had 153 receptions for 2,421 yards for an average of 15.6 yards. Walker also came into the league older and in better than usual physical shape because of his time in MLB.

In Sharpes first 3 seasons he had 212 receptions for 3,319 yards with an average of 15.6 yards.

Based on the stats, Walker was not as good as Sharpe. That and he has a pretty major knee problem to go with his mental instability. He's a hard worker and one of the better WR's today but he is not Sterling Sharpe. Not even close IMHO.

After those first three seasons Sharpe went on to break single season records in receptions and was known as 1a or 1b with Jerry Rice as the best in the game before he went down.

Walker has Harrison, Owens, Moss, Johnson who are all considered by just about everyone to be better than Walker. Walker is in that next catagory down from todays greats. Sharpe was right in the top category if not at the top of it.

Rastak
05-12-2006, 07:03 PM
Walker is not more talented than Sharpe. No way. Sharpe was phyiscally dominate. Walker is very, very good but he's not even in the top 5 today. Sharpe was the best at his position untill he got hurt.

I hated Sharpe, that dude was outstanding.

I mean outstanding.....

Bretsky
05-12-2006, 07:49 PM

I hated Sharpe, that dude was outstanding.

I mean outstanding.....

Yes, I agree Sterling Sharpe had amazing talent; the best I've seen in GB hands down and he would have went down as one of the best all time had he not been hurt.

But I'd also say Javon Walker has elite WR talent. No, he hasn't proven his eliteness in back to back years yet, but I'd take him hands down over guys like Reggie Wayne. A healthy Javon Walker was one of the top 10 WR's in the NFL in his last healthy year and was entering his prime.

Should TT have made more of an effort to use some good customer relation skills to keep him a Packer ? We really don't know. Did TT do any of this ? If the answer is no, then I agree with Wist that TT completely dropped the ball.

B

Rastak
05-12-2006, 09:39 PM
From PFT:

POSTED 9:02 p.m. EDT, May 12, 2006

WOY DEFENDS DRIVER DEAL

On Thursday, we suggested that the failure of agent Jordan Woy to disclose the bonus structure of receiver Donald Driver's new contract with the Packers was evidence that the bonus structure, well, wasn't all that good.

On Friday, we heard from Woy.

"I did give a statement to the press regarding Donald Driver's new two year extension," Woy wrote in an e-mail. "However, I was asked by Driver and the team not to disclose certain information."

But Woy was candid regarding certain other information. Here's what he had to say.

"The Driver deal was outstanding under the circumstances," Woy said. "Donald is 31 years old and had two years remaining on his contract for salaries of approximately $1.36 million and $1.86 million. After witnessing what Javon Walker went through I was amazed and very happy we were able to get accomplished what we did. We did it behind the scenes without any bad blood between Donald and the front office and no bad press for Donald in a town that idolizes their stars.

"Donald had no interest in leaving Green Bay," Woy explained. "He also told the team he would NEVER hold out. Andrew Brandt and Ted Thompson knew these things about Donald and could have really squeezed us. In fact, they did for a number of months. I had meetings with both of them several times face to face just to inch up their offers. We continued to point out over and over again why it was fair for them to take care of Donald in his final years and pay him accordingly. In the end, after a lot of debate, they did. Javon Walker was 23 with a great future in front of him but he was unable to get an extension in Green Bay. Many teams would have jumped to do an extension. Green Bay is not one of those teams. They keep their salaries tight and are no big on re-doing deals until they are up.

"Donald's deal is an outstanding deal given his age. He could have played it out and been a free agent at 33. Their is no telling what could happen in those two years and how much someone would pay a 33 year old receiver. As I told the Packers, 'It is time for the good guys to get taken care of.' I think NFL players get tired of only seeing the players who make scenes of themselves in public and fight with the teams in public get deals. Players like Donald, who came into the league as a 7th rounder from Alcorn State and who has been outstanding citizen should get taken care of. A lot of times they don't. I am happy when all players get paid large amounts of money. It is just nice when players like Donald Driver can get paid without going through a public mess and threatening to hold out or be traded."

Last month, Driver denied an ESPN report that he had asked to be traded if his deal was not restructured. The fact that the team "squeezed" Driver "for a number of months" makes us wonder whether there's any truth to the notion that Woy got frustrated during the process and asked for Driver to be dealt.

pbmax
05-13-2006, 12:13 AM
"Donald had no interest in leaving Green Bay," Woy explained. "He also told the team he would NEVER hold out. Andrew Brandt and Ted Thompson knew these things about Donald and could have really squeezed us. In fact, they did for a number of months. I had meetings with both of them several times face to face just to inch up their offers.
Definitely sounds like Driver really wanted one more contract before the window closed. And it sounds like Walker's likely departure shook loose the money to reach an agreement.

And its nice of the agent to carry the Packers water for them, by publicly stating they were determined not to go public and the Packers drove a hard bargain, makes it look like this is an exception.

Did Harris get redone with more than a year left on his contract? Tauscher was in the last year, but what about Al?

Scott Campbell
05-13-2006, 08:44 AM
Javon Walker was 23 with a great future in front of him but he was unable to get an extension in Green Bay.

Javon is not 23. He'll be 28 in October.

Scott Campbell
05-13-2006, 08:45 AM
From PFT:

POSTED 9:22 a.m. EDT, May 13, 2006

DRIVER GOT $4 MILLION TO SIGN

A league source has provided us with the real numbers regarding receiver Donald Driver's new four-year contract, which extends by two years his current deal. Previously, Driver's agent had disclosed the salaries and the total value only, without commenting on bonus money.

Per the source, Driver got $4 million to sign. He also will receive a $250,000 roster bonus and a $950,000 base salary in 2006.

It's a net increase of $3.49 million over his prior base salary of $1.76 million.

For 2007, Driver gets a base salary of $2.7 million and a workout bonus of $50,000. The net increase over his the base salary for 2007 from his old contract is $510,000.

So Driver gets a total raise of $4 million over the next two years and $4 million in cash now, in exchange for extending the term by two seasons.

In 2008, Driver will receive a $1 million roster bonus, a $100,000 workout bonus, and a base salary of $2.9 million. In 2009, he will get a $1 million roster bonus, a $100,000 roster bonus, and $3.9 million in base salary.

The total new money, then, is $13 million over four years, for an average of $3.25 million.

So it's a pretty good deal for Driver, since he was due to make $4 million over the next two years, but now will make $8 million. And he opted to take the $4 million signing bonus now, in the event that, when he is 33 in two years, he won't get that much on the open market.

But he still might be on the open market in 2008 or 2009, due to the $1 million roster bonus in each of the last two seasons of the deal. If the team decides that Driver no longer can play at a high level at age 33 or 34, the Packers will simply opt not to pay the roster bonus.

HarveyWallbangers
05-13-2006, 09:31 AM
I agree with NickCollins that Sharpe was better than Walker. There's more than speed/size that comes with the position. Sterling ran great routes, was fast enough to beat you over the top, was a tough SOB that could run the underneath routes, he was one of the best after the catch (he was an RB in a WRs body). The only knock was that his hands would get shaky at times--although I'd classify his hands as good overall. Walker was a great deep threat, had good hands, ran good routes for vertical receiver, and showed toughness, and he was solid after the catch. I guess the only category that I'd truly give Walker was the deep ball, mainly because he was tall, could jump, and did a great job timing the deep balls. Sterling was better on the underneath stuff, ran better routes, and was better after the catch. Their hands were about even.

Scott Campbell
05-13-2006, 09:46 AM
I'm still on the Sharpe bandwagon. Teams had to game plan around him, and he still put up huge numbers. Had he not been hurt, and if he managed to keep his head out of his ass, he could have been one of the best ever.

Walker will have to put up monsterous numbers for quite a few years before he moves into that elite status.

chain_gang
05-13-2006, 09:57 AM
Yeah Sharpe was awesome. Still think back to that playoff game against detroit in 1993, I believe, in the old Silverdome when Favre found him deep in the back of the endzone. Think that pass must have traveled at least 70 yards it was cross field into the back of the endzone, and Favre hit him right in the breadbasket with it. After the game the lions coaches and players couldn't believe Favre had thrown it that Far.

Also a game in 1992 or 93 season, against the Saints when sharpe had a bad concussion and had blurred vision and still had a hell of a game. Caught the game winnning bomb, I believe. What made Sharpe so great was that teams new he was going to get the ball, but he always got enough separation. He gave opposing teams fits when he played.

MadtownPacker
05-13-2006, 11:39 AM
I don't know what happened between Walker and Thompson. It's possible that Walker was too quick to force public confrontations, don't know.

One thing I strongly suspect: If Driver had not gotten his payday, he would have held-out. The man is taking a lot of hard hits, he is near the end of his career. I do not think he would wait until he is 33 to get his golden parachute.
First you say that you "dont know" when it comes to the walker situation even though he LET EVERYONE KNOW. The you say DD would have held out if he didnt get the money even though HE NEVER said that. Sounds like walker sympathizing talk to me with no facts whatsoever.

You contradict the only facts we know:

DD said he would never hold out, walker said he would never play in G&G again. What else can we expect from an assclown who has "The View" as his avatar.

Have you read ANYTHING walker has said in the last year?

Harlan Huckleby
05-13-2006, 12:32 PM
Donald Driver is not a saint, he would not forgo his last chance at $5M or so. TT ponied-up because of Driver's improved bargaining position. The Walker ordeal demonstrated the cost of a holdout.

Snicker Licker.

RashanGary
05-13-2006, 01:37 PM
T.T. didn't pony up.

Walker wanted 40 million dollars over 6 years coming off an injury. Driver got 17 million over 4.

That is not even close to the same thing. Lets not even go there.

What Thompson did with Driver was give him money up front but Driver had to take less to get it. According to Drivers agent, Thompson was negotiating this for months now. Maybe Walker's situation gave it more leverage but Thompson was willing to extend him at a discount regardless and that is what he did.

Walker wanted to get his money up front and not give back by taking less. Driver took less to get it. It was a fair, win/win situation. Walker's was not. Driver has been one of the NFL's top 10 WR's the last couple of years and he is not getting paid even close to that. Also, the new salary cap is much higher so you're going to see good WR's making double the $$ of Driver and not playing any better. It was not a good deal for Donald but he got his security. The Packers will probably come out on top in that one. The deal Walker was asking for, there was no way GB came out on top even if he was a star.

Not the same thing. Not even close.

MJZiggy
05-13-2006, 02:00 PM
I thought this should go here.

Packers | Driver excited about new contract
Fri, 12 May 2006 21:42:16 -0700

Jeff Harding, of Packers.com, reports Green Bay Packers WR Donald Driver was excited and appreciative to have been offered a contract extension. Driver said, "I take my hat off to the Packers organization first of all for even looking into it. I really appreciate what they did because they didn't have to do it. I'm happy that I'll be a Packer for at least another four years. I've always said that once I got to Green Bay I knew I wanted to retire here and that I always wanted to be a Green Bay Packer. The tradition here is tremendous and the people here are like no other."

This doesn't sound like anyone who was even close to having an attitude about his contract. I love the way he appreciates things.

Scott Campbell
05-13-2006, 02:05 PM
I hope the Packers continue to reward players who go about getting raises the right way - even if that means hurting themselves in the short term when they lose idiots like Javon.

Bretsky
05-13-2006, 02:10 PM
"""Walker wanted to get his money up front and not give back by taking less. Driver took less to get it."""

This is an absolutely great analysis.

And it leads to the point that if we didn't trade JW it was going to get much uglier before it got better.......IF it ever did.

I think TT made some mistakes along this road, namely not making a better effort to communicate with Javon Walker.

RashanGary
05-13-2006, 02:39 PM
Yeah...I agree Bretsky...

I think when Javon first asked for the big payday, Thompson was just entering the job. He wanted to see what he had before he even considered that. I think Javon and Drew should have realized that a little bit but if Thompson just said "no" and didn't give an explaination it would have been a mistake.

In the end, I think Walker was coming in to show TT what he could do and that awfull injury occured. Had that not happened this might be a different story. Some of the things that happened along the way where just bad timing.

Javons original request was not good timing with a new GM who didn't know the roster. The injury was horrible timing. It just was ugly all the way around and some of the hurt feelings were products of circumstance.

Could he have communicated better? I think so. I think he's said he'd do things differently.

Harlan Huckleby
05-13-2006, 03:11 PM
Driver was under contract for the next two years at a very low rate.

And at his age, and the number of hard hits he takes, it is entirely possible that he only has two good years left. Projecting beyond that is certainly risky.

Why do you suppose Thompson redid Driver's deal? Why not wait two years, and save the organization about 8 million dollars?

MJZiggy
05-13-2006, 03:14 PM
Because you have an abundance of cap room now and what better way to show the rest of the team what can happen if you work hard and consistently put up good numbers for years? Imagine what Jolly and Moll must be thinking when they see a 7th rounder work his ass off and get the payday.

Harlan Huckleby
05-13-2006, 03:18 PM
No, a GM does not pass-out 8M as a goodwill gesture.

If Thompson really could have gotten away with waiting two years, he would have.

The Leaper
05-13-2006, 03:23 PM
I agree the entire situation turned out horribly for Walker. It almost was disasterous for Green Bay too.

I just want Thompson to learn from this...he's got a lot of good young talent on the roster, and he needs to keep the ones that turn out in town. That won't happen if he ignores them when they want to talk about $$$.

MJZiggy
05-13-2006, 03:26 PM
No, a GM does not pass-out 8M as a goodwill gesture.

If Thompson really could have gotten away with waiting two years, he would have.

I thought he was kissing the cap minimum?

Harlan Huckleby
05-13-2006, 03:35 PM
I agree the entire situation turned out horribly for Walker. It almost was disasterous for Green Bay too.

Probably Walker would have done better working things out with Green Bay. But if he recovers 100%, he has a good chance of collecting on his contract.

This is slightly off topic, but when employees go on strike, as Walker essentially did, they almost always lose. Sometimes they can make it up in the long term. The real beneficiaries of a strike are other people negotiating contracts. The occasional strike makes the THREAT of a strike more credible.

Driver doesn't have to threaten to hold-out. Walker has done the dirty work for him by demonstrating the viability and harm of a hold out. The Packers are now extra-vulnerable to a holdout by Driver, and a holdout is indeed an unspoken implicit threat. . Without Walker's holdout, Thompson would have held Driver to his contract. A contract is a contract, after all, nothing unfair about waiting to negotiate the new deal.

Scott Campbell
05-13-2006, 03:41 PM

Probably Walker would have done better working things out with Green Bay. But if he recovers 100%, he has a good chance of collecting on his contract.

This is slightly off topic, but when employees go on strike, as Walker essentially did, they almost always lose. Sometimes they can make it up in the long term. The real beneficiaries of a strike are other people negotiating contracts. The occasional strike makes the THREAT of a strike more credible.

Driver doesn't have to threaten to hold-out. Walker has done the dirty work for him by demonstrating the viability and harm of a hold out. The Packers are now extra-vulnerable to a holdout by Driver, and a holdout is indeed an unspoken implicit threat. . Without Walker's holdout, Thompson would have held Driver to his contract. A contract is a contract, after all, nothing unfair about waiting to negotiate the new deal.

That's some incredibly loose supposition, but whatever floats your boat.

Scott Campbell
05-13-2006, 03:45 PM

I can just as easily argue that Driver would never hold out because of what happened to Javon. Walker has to play well and stay injury free this year, or he DOES NOT GET PAID.

The bottom line is, the players like Driver and Harris who have been behaving appropriately have been getting their paydays.

RashanGary
05-13-2006, 03:52 PM

Acctually, Driver and Thompson have been working on this extention for a long time. According to Drivers agent the were inching the offers up month by month. Driver is getting 17 mil over 4 years. That is peanuts compared to what Walker was asking. That is peanuts compared to what he is worth.

Harlan Huckleby
05-13-2006, 03:55 PM
Walker is in jeopardy because of injury, not because of his holdout. I think he has a 50-50 chance of collecting a big contract.

Ummm, as far as the good guys getting their paychecks, it is because they have the bargaining position. Al Harris had his bargaining position enhanced when McKenzie held out.

Grady Jackson played his ass off in Green Bay, was greatly underpaid given his contribution, compared to his peers at his position around the league. He didn't get his contract redone because he lacked the bargaining position (age & health were shaky.) Players are not paid out of loyalty or fairness.
The "good guys get paid" theory is a fairy tale.

RashanGary
05-13-2006, 03:56 PM
To put it in perspective, Driver is now making Fergi type money. I don't think he got away with anything.

There was a factor of deserving because if Driver didn't earn it, Thompson wouldn't have signed it but there was also a factor of the discounted rate for an early signing.

If Barnett and Collins want to step up and do 4 year deals early for 17 mil I'd be all over it. Thompson is not setting a rediculous precident like Walker would have been. Denver wanted Walker bad enough to give up a valuable high second round pick but even they were unwilling ot give him money up front.

Thompson was following standard procedure when he started talking with Donald months ago and he was follwoing standard procedure in regards to an injured player asking for millions up front. leverage came into play but it wasn't some deal where Driver forced the Packers to do the deal. The wnated to because Driver was negotiating a lower rate.

Scott Campbell
05-13-2006, 03:57 PM
Al Harris had his bargaining position enhanced when McKenzie held out.

I disagree. Al Harris had his bargaining position enhanced because he was not stupid enough to hold out.

Harlan Huckleby
05-13-2006, 04:03 PM
Actually, Driver and Thompson have been working on this extention for a long time. According to Drivers agent the were inching the offers up month by month. Driver is getting 17 mil over 4 years. That is peanuts compared to what Walker was asking. That is peanuts compared to what he is worth.

Well, Driver is not as good as Walker, and is entering his declining years, so no point in comparing the two.

Driver having a shot at 17M is huge, compared to the 2.5M (or so) he was scheduled to make.

What do you suppose Driver would have done if Thompson had said, "We'll talk about it in 2 years?" Do you really think Driver would have just quietly kept playing, giving 100%, knowing that his current contract could easily be his last?

OF COURSE DRIVER WOULD HAVE HELD OUT!!

Harlan Huckleby
05-13-2006, 04:06 PM
I disagree. Al Harris had his bargaining position enhanced because he was not stupid enough to hold out.

Losing McKenzie was a huge blow to the Packers, one that they are still recovering from. Al Harris became much more valuable to the Packers when McKEnzie went AWOL. A holdout by Harris would have been devestating.

RashanGary
05-13-2006, 04:06 PM
I doubt he woudl have held.

There are many underpaid players across the league. Not too many of them hold out. Look at Green.

MJZiggy
05-13-2006, 04:08 PM
Grady Jackson played his ass off in Green Bay, was greatly underpaid given his contribution, compared to his peers at his position around the league. He didn't get his contract redone because he lacked the bargaining position (age & health were shaky.) Players are not paid out of loyalty or fairness.
The "good guys get paid" theory is a fairy tale.

Then how do you explain Tauscher's getting paid while waiting for a knee to heal. He didn't have great bargaining power according to your theory but was a "good guy" who got paid.

Harlan Huckleby
05-13-2006, 04:08 PM
I doubt he woudl have held.

There are many underpaid players across the league. Not too many of them hold out. Look at Green.

Green is not underpaid.

Players don't stay underpaid for long, unless they are pushing up against retirement like Grady Jackson.

Harlan Huckleby
05-13-2006, 04:11 PM
Then how do you explain Tauscher's getting paid while waiting for a knee to heal. He didn't have great bargaining power according to your theory but was a "good guy" who got paid.

Tauscher was a young guy that the Packers wanted to keep for the long term. That was his bargaining position.

Tauscher's deal was backloaded, much like Walker's deal is with Denver. Packer's didn't take that much risk. Either is Denver. Seems fair to all parties.

RashanGary
05-13-2006, 04:19 PM
Walker was on a dominate offense. The offense was top 5 in the league before Walker really came on.

They had a DOMINATE power running attack that loosened up the defense for Walker to make explosive players. Brett Favre might be the best QB in the league when it comes to letting his guys make plays. Walker was in a pretty ideal situation to shine while Sherman, Favre, Green and one of the NFL's premier run blocking and pass blocking O-lines.

We'll see how good Walker is but he had it made in GB. Denver is a pretty good situation but guys like Owens and Moss do it year after year on not so great offenses. Walker was asking for Owens/Moss money. We'll see if he's worth it. I doubt it.

Scott Campbell
05-13-2006, 04:24 PM
Walker is in jeopardy because of injury, not because of his holdout. I think he has a 50-50 chance of collecting a big contract.

50/50 - huh?

I can't imagine how well he'll have to play to earn that $10M bonus for what amounts to the club as nothing more than a 1 year deal.

Scott Campbell
05-13-2006, 04:29 PM
Tauscher's deal was backloaded, much like Walker's deal is with Denver. Packer's didn't take that much risk. Either is Denver. Seems fair to all parties.

Much risk? Denver is taking on virtually no risk. A second round pick and a million bucks is all they've put on the line.

RashanGary
05-13-2006, 04:30 PM
Favre just throws it out there and gives his guys a chance. I don't think he'll get the oppertunity to shine that he had here. Recievers want to play with Brett Favre.

Scott Campbell
05-13-2006, 04:30 PM
Tauscher's deal was backloaded, much like Walker's deal is with Denver.

I'll never classify a deal with a second year $10M bonus as "backloaded".

Scott Campbell
05-13-2006, 04:32 PM
Favre just throws it out there and gives his guys a chance. I don't think he'll get the oppertunity to shine that he had here. Recievers want to play with Brett Favre.

I wonder if Jake read Javon's comments comparing his play to military service. There's not one guy I know of in the NFL that is more likely to hold that statement against him.

retailguy
05-13-2006, 04:32 PM

Losing McKenzie was a huge blow to the Packers, one that they are still recovering from. Al Harris became much more valuable to the Packers when McKEnzie went AWOL. A holdout by Harris would have been devestating.

Well, I guess it is all supposition. However, if you take ALL the statements that McCarthy and Thompson have made, what it equals for me, is that they say they are going to "take care of Packer People".

Who is Driver if not a "Packer Person". He, in my mind anyhow, fits that definition to a "T". No pun intended. Grady didn't get paid, because Grady didn't honor the terms of his contract. He came in out of shape every year, and didn't work the offseason program. The Packers honored the contract they gave him, but essentially said, you didn't earn an increase. Then he held out, and that was the "kiss of death". He wasn't that great to put up with the crap.

JW, on the other hand, proved he didn't put the Packers above all else. He proved he'd be just as happy elsewhere, and now his wish was granted. Same with McKenzie. Neither one will have the same career opportunities after football that they would have had if they had stayed in GB. Walkers young enough he may have them in Denver, but McKenzie won't.

Driver, whether he puts the Packers ahead of everything else, or not, SAYS THAT HE DOES. He got rewarded for two principle reasons in my mind, he was the consummate team player, AND his contract was undervalued. I think that both were key, or NOTHING would have been done. Hold out or not.

Scott Campbell
05-13-2006, 04:39 PM
Mark Tauscher is scheduled to earn - $2.25 million in '06, $3 million in '07 and $3.5 million in '08. That does not fit my definition of a backloaded contract. He was and is likely to see all of that money.

A backloaded contract is one that inflates the final year or two of a contract by a ridiculous amount that is unlikely to be earned. See Bubba's, Woodson's or Wahle's deal. It is done to inflate the value of the contract to pad the resume of the agent and the ego of the player. Or as some speculate in the case of Wahle, it is structured by the player's agent to eventually get him out of a city he doesn't like.

RashanGary
05-13-2006, 04:46 PM
I think H.H. was saying the contract isn't soemthing the team had ot pay if they didn't want to.

Pack could cut Tausch risk free. Den could cut Walk risk free.

Scott Campbell
05-13-2006, 04:54 PM
I think H.H. was saying the contract isn't soemthing the team had ot pay if they didn't want to.

Pack could cut Tausch risk free. Den could cut Walk risk free.

Tauscher got a 50% bigger signing bonus than Walker, and that was like 3 or 4 years ago. It's hard to say what his $1.5M signing bonus would have been worth this year, given the extrodinary jump in the salary cap. It certainly represented a greater percentage of the Packer's available cap space.

RashanGary
05-13-2006, 05:03 PM
That kind of shows you how rediculous Walkers request was. Agents are like vulchers. They sense weakness. Rosenhaus figured Thompson being a first time GM would be pressured into doing what he needed to not lose his job. Thompson stood strong. I doubt too many other players will consider doing what Walker did. I think Thompson will redo contracts early but they won't be 6 year 40 million dollar blockbusters. They'll probably be 4 year 17 million dollar deals to players who stand a good chance to earn it.

Partial
05-13-2006, 05:18 PM
Unless Walker is a pro-bowler next year, no way does he see that next year of the contract. I think that contract is an incredible risk for Denver. They gave us a phenominal pick in exchange for what very well could be a one-year endevour.

Scott Campbell
05-13-2006, 05:19 PM
Thompson stood strong. I doubt too many other players will consider doing what Walker did.

I think it's hard to say. I think the organization stood strong and didn't cave to the whims of the periodic idiot that goes to the media and threatens a holdout if they don't get their way. With 53 roster spots, you'll always have your periodic idiots. But you can't let them dictate your management of the salary cap, or the culture of your organization. You do what's best for the team. Never once did I supsect that Thompson wasn't motivated by doing what was best for the team in this situation. And he had to be under tremendous pressure to just cave in to the threats and pay the dude.

Scott Campbell
05-13-2006, 05:20 PM
Unless Walker is a pro-bowler next year, no way does he see that next year of the contract. I think that contract is an incredible risk for Denver. They gave us a phenominal pick in exchange for what very well could be a one-year endevour.

I think it's par for the course. They took a flyer on Maurice Clarret in the 3rd round last year.

Bretsky
05-13-2006, 05:52 PM

A good pick, but I certainly can't say GB got a steal of a deal. All along I'd have liked to see them get a first rounder and then my stance softened to a high second rounder. But I was surprised JW would sign a deal with that and now wonder if TT played the cards wrong throughout the process.

I'm also torn on those draft picks. Green Bay essentially had the #36 and #37 picks in the draft and when they were picking there were two players who were considered to be strong first round talents at one time. NE and Atlanta traded up to get them in Chad Jackson and Jimmy Williams.

I envisioned Jimmy Williams as having all the tools to be a shutdown CB for many years to come and Atlanta did as well. Watching his career after we passed on a guy once thought to be a sure top 15 pick will be interesting.

Partial
05-13-2006, 06:11 PM
allow me to rephrase myself, in the event that walker is only there for a year, we really got a very sweet deal. With the contract they offered him, it seems very likely he's only there for one year.

retailguy
05-13-2006, 06:46 PM
allow me to rephrase myself, in the event that walker is only there for a year, we really got a very sweet deal. With the contract they offered him, it seems very likely he's only there for one year.

WHAT??? Why does it look likely he's only there for a year? Plenty of people recover from ACL injuries. Walker will recover and be a very good receiver for Denver. They just want to see that he does recover before they drop 10mil on him. Even if he has a mediocre year as a #2 receiver they're going to pay him.

You are absolutely kidding yourself if you think Denver made this trade for a one year "rental" of Walker.

Scott Campbell
05-13-2006, 07:04 PM
WHAT??? Why does it look likely he's only there for a year? Plenty of people recover from ACL injuries. Walker will recover and be a very good receiver for Denver. They just want to see that he does recover before they drop 10mil on him. Even if he has a mediocre year as a #2 receiver they're going to pay him.

You are absolutely kidding yourself if you think Denver made this trade for a one year "rental" of Walker.

There's another realistic possibility. They might ask him to restructure if he doesn't earn the $10M.

RashanGary
05-13-2006, 07:07 PM
They are scheduled to pay him 25 million over the next 2 years. It's highly doubtfull he'll make that kind of ching but you never know. T.O. got 25 in 3 years so it's possible Walker gets the same.

MJZiggy
05-13-2006, 07:23 PM

There's another realistic possibility. They might ask him to restructure if he doesn't earn the $10M.

Wouldn't that be a slap-upside-the-head wakeup call!! :smile:

Partial
05-13-2006, 07:29 PM

I agree completely. However, what if he comes back slower and less effective? There are a lot of unknowns and it seems to me they took the same approach New Orleans did with Drew Brees in his contract.

If he doesn't pan out and never is an effective player again, I am saying we made out like bandits. I don't think that this is likely, but it is certainly possible and would be interesting if it happened.

pbmax
05-13-2006, 11:15 PM
They are scheduled to pay him 25 million over the next 2 years. It's highly doubtfull he'll make that kind of ching but you never know. T.O. got 25 in 3 years so it's possible Walker gets the same.
Remember, TO has a contract that in cap terms, is like a series of one year contracts. Very little guaranteed, each year the Cowboys can cut TO and not take a hit.

PFT had a piece today that a league source said its ludicrous to think that Denver wouldn't dump Javon after one year for a second round pick if it was advantageous to do so, they treat picks like they're scatch off lottery cards. Mo Clarett in 3rd round?

Denver has the leverage on this deal. If Javon stinks he could be gone. Or, even if he's showing signs, but still slowed, they could ask for a restruring, or delay of the bonus. If they really put the screws to him, the bonus would come due after July 1, when the FA money has been sucked up.

Rastak
05-13-2006, 11:55 PM
Remember, TO has a contract that in cap terms, is like a series of one year contracts. Very little guaranteed, each year the Cowboys can cut TO and not take a hit.

PFT had a piece today that a league source said its ludicrous to think that Denver wouldn't dump Javon after one year for a second round pick if it was advantageous to do so, they treat picks like they're scatch off lottery cards. Mo Clarett in 3rd round?

Denver has the leverage on this deal. If Javon stinks he could be gone. Or, even if he's showing signs, but still slowed, they could ask for a restruring, or delay of the bonus. If they really put the screws to him, the bonus would come due after July 1, when the FA money has been sucked up.

Man I agree on the Denver thing...they literally tossed away a 3rd round pick.. it's like you or I lighting a cigar with a $100 bill....who the hell would do that?

Partial
05-14-2006, 03:23 AM

lets keep this in perspective. Clarette was supposed to be a player. A great player. He ran a slow 40 and was out of football for two years at that point. When he played, he was compared to some of the greats of all-time. I could see myself dropping a third on a player you know can play when he wants to. He probably was just fat and outta shape and thats why he didn't make their team.

The Leaper
05-14-2006, 01:05 PM
Clarett was not viewed by anyone as a first day draft pick. The guy had proven himself to be a headcase, didn't show elite NFL athletic ability, along with a marginal work ethic. His performance at Ohio State was hardly compared to some of the all-time greats. He did very well as a freshman, but he was far from dominant.

This is the second year in a row that Denver has tossed away a first day draft pick on a huge risk. Not only was acquiring Walker a questionable move by itself...but it also pissed off Lelie, who will now bolt Denver the first chance he gets. If Walker doesn't prove to be an elite WR, it doesn't leave much in the cupboard for the Broncos in 2-3 years at the WR position.

chain_gang
05-14-2006, 01:11 PM
Clarett was not viewed by anyone as a first day draft pick. The guy had proven himself to be a headcase, didn't show elite NFL athletic ability, along with a marginal work ethic. His performance at Ohio State was hardly compared to some of the all-time greats. He did very well as a freshman, but he was far from dominant.

This is the second year in a row that Denver has tossed away a first day draft pick on a huge risk. Not only was acquiring Walker a questionable move by itself...but it also pissed off Lelie, who will now bolt Denver the first chance he gets. If Walker doesn't prove to be an elite WR, it doesn't leave much in the cupboard for the Broncos in 2-3 years at the WR position.

But Denver can afford to take the chances because of their smart acquisitions in the past, and great late round drafting. Denver 90% of the time take caculated risks, they basically pick up all of Browns DL last. That worked out pretty well. That said I'm glad Walker is gone, but realize that Shannahan is the master at resurrecting careers.

Partial
05-14-2006, 01:13 PM

He was when he played football.

Harlan Huckleby
05-14-2006, 01:16 PM
I'm not sure why so many people insist that Javon Walker got screwed, or stupidly signed a terrible deal.

He just had a serious injury near the end of a contract! This is called bad luck. He may never be an excellent player again. Of course he is not going to find a lot of guaranteed money, with G.B. or anybody else.

I can guarantee you this: if Walker returns to his 2004 form in 2007, he's gonna make big money, somewhere. 2006 is largely a throw-away season where he has to show steady progress towards a full recovery.