PDA

View Full Version : PRO FOOTBALL WEEKLY--COREY WILLIAMS most improved NFL Player

Bretsky
11-09-2007, 04:51 PM
Man in the middle

Williams atop most-improved list in ’07
By Mike Wilkening
Nov. 8, 2007

With the NFL season at its halfway point, we asked NFL scouts and executives for their opinion on the league’s most improved players. Rookies were not considered. All respondents were quoted on condition of anonymity.\

1. DT Corey Williams | Packers — What separates Williams, said one personnel man, “is his ability to defend the run as well as being a very good inside pass rusher.

I think they have some guys who are more ‘one or the other’ (types), but he does both.” Another personnel man opined, “He has a lot of confidence. He can rush the passer. He can split the double-team. He does everything he is capable of doing.”

2. QB Derek Anderson | Browns — “He played well in the Kansas City game (last season). Other than that, he was inconsistent,” said one respondent. “But some of that was (a factor) of not having a (clear-cut No. 1) guy. This year, he’s done it pretty much every week. The big thing you’ve always heard is that it’s Derek’s job for now until Brady (Quinn) is ready to take over. … And he’s made that transition tougher.”

3. SLB-DE Robert Geathers | Bengals — “He is their guy (on defense). He plays the pass. He rushes the passer. He’s explosive.”

4. OLB Calvin Pace | Cardinals — “He’s probably made the most improvement of anyone on the Cardinals. At (outside linebacker), he is comfortable and playing well.”

5. CB Antonio Cromartie | Chargers — “He just seems to be in the right place in the right time for them. He’s starting to get better and better.”

Partial
11-09-2007, 04:55 PM
Lock him up.

Bretsky
11-09-2007, 04:58 PM
Yes, get it down TT

Here were some other honorable mentions

Others mentioned: Cowboys WR Patrick Crayton, Raiders RB Justin Fargas, Giants RB Brandon Jacobs, Packers DT Johnny Jolly, Cowboys QB Tony Romo.

gbpackfan
11-09-2007, 04:59 PM
It will be a HUGE mistake if TT doesn't sign this kid. We suffered through all his developmental years and now that he is playing great, we are about to let him go? Come on! Good D-linemen are very hard to find. Just because we draft Harrell doesnt mean we can let Williams go. Harrell hasn't done shit yet. TT, get it done!

Bretsky
11-09-2007, 05:04 PM
Williams might be asking free agent market money. TT has did a very good job, but I still think overall he's a tight ass and I'm not sure he wants to pay top dollar for another DL when he's invested good money at that position and also just spent his first round draft pick on a guy that's been doing much of nothing on most game days.

Partial
11-09-2007, 05:17 PM
Williams might be asking free agent market money. TT has did a very good job, but I still think overall he's a tight ass and I'm not sure he wants to pay top dollar for another DL when he's invested good money at that position and also just spent his first round draft pick on a guy that's been doing much of nothing on most game days.

The thing to think about is that he isn't a starter, and we already have a first round pick coming up. I would say lock him up and trade him eventually if we don't need him. Better safe than sorry and better getting something in return for him than nothing.

Bretsky
11-09-2007, 05:25 PM

The thing to think about is that he isn't a starter, and we already have a first round pick coming up. I would say lock him up and trade him eventually if we don't need him. Better safe than sorry and better getting something in return for him than nothing.

Negotiating him as a non starter forces him out the door; he's better than most starters. So if that is the mojo than you almost have to encourage TT to let him go. I agree to lock him up and trade him is better than sending him out to test free agency though.

The first round draft pick has shown next to nothing up to this point. That argument is a loaded weapon in itself.

One might argue we drafted Harrell figuring Williams would leave.

One might argue the two should have nothing to do with each other.

One might argue Harrell has looked like junk and that makes it more important to keep Williams.

Who knows what the right answer is there.

Partial
11-09-2007, 05:30 PM
The right answer that Williams is a heck of a player and Harrell looks like junk. Cannot let a guy like that get away TT. GEt it done!!!!

RashanGary
11-09-2007, 05:45 PM
If Williams is willing to take a fair deal, sign him up. If he wants the moon, let him go.

Joemailman
11-09-2007, 05:46 PM
I don't buy the theory that TT drafted Harrell thinking he would lose Williams. I think TT values quality depth on the DL. None of our other DT's have the pass rush abilities of Williams. TT will use up some of his considerable cap room on Williams.

RashanGary
11-09-2007, 05:47 PM
I don't buy the theory that TT drafted Harrell thinking he would lose Williams. I think TT values quality depth on the DL. None of our other DT's have the pass rush abilities of Williams. TT will use up some of his considerable cap room on Williams.

I think it will get done too, but there are media rumblings that Williams wants to get to the UFA market. If that is the case, I think Williams might be a little overrated (because he plays with a bunch of good lineman) and will get more on the UFA market than he is worth. In that case, I'd let him go.

b bulldog
11-09-2007, 05:55 PM
Will Mike Montgomery and Justin Harrell be good enough to fill his vacancy if he leaves?? If yes, than only resign him to a fair deal but if no, we may need to give him some big $$ and than we may need to redo Kampy's deal also.

RashanGary
11-09-2007, 05:58 PM
Will Mike Montgomery and Justin Harrell be good enough to fill his vacancy if he leaves?? If yes, than only resign him to a fair deal but if no, we may need to give him some big $$ and than we may need to redo Kampy's deal also.

That's what I was worried about. As soon as you give Williams the moon, it compounds itself because you have to then give Kampman a big raise. It's a tough situation because Williams is not worth 6 mil per year and then another 2 mil per year because the the raise Kampman would have to get, then Barnetts deal looks like a rip off, then Jenkins is gettting robbed, then we get back to Driver.

Who knows what to do. Best case is getting it done now for a fair deal and not having to worry about it in the off season. That is up to Williams though. He probably knows he'd get big offers if he makes it to UFA so maybe he's jsut saying "screw you, I'll wait it out and take the risk"

the_idle_threat
11-09-2007, 06:33 PM
IMO, Williams is a good DT, but he's not irreplaceable. He's not even the best DT on the team.

JH has this one right---TT should offer a him a good deal that doesn't make the Kampman or Jenkins deals look bad, and if Williams is intent on getting overpaid in free agency, let him go.

It's a well-established fact that the team's deepest position is defensive line, and Williams was what---a 6th round pick? Williams is very replaceable.

b bulldog
11-09-2007, 06:38 PM
wILLIAMS WON'T BE HERE NEXT SEASON IMO.

Partial
11-09-2007, 06:39 PM
IMO, Williams is a good DT, but he's not irreplaceable. He's not even the best DT on the team.

JH has this one right---TT should offer a him a good deal that doesn't make the Kampman or Jenkins deals look bad, and if Williams is intent on getting overpaid in free agency, let him go.

It's a well-established fact that the team's deepest position is defensive line, and Williams was what---a 6th round pick? Williams is very replaceable.

Complete Bojive.

His draft position is irrelevant. What matters is he is one of the best interior pass rushers in the game, and when he plays with Kampman, Jenkins and Pickett they form a very good line. There is something to be said for chemistry, and we know not if his development and turning into a great interior pass rusher is making things easier for the other players, or if the other players development has made it easier for Williams.

I say offer him a good contract and let that be the end of it. They should lock him up asap. Interior pass rushing does not come cheap.

Harlan Huckleby
11-09-2007, 06:52 PM
Damn, they should have signed him before this article came out.

woodbuck27
11-09-2007, 07:00 PM
If Williams is willing to take a fair deal, sign him up. If he wants the moon, let him go.

Are YOU Ted Thompson?

OR . . .DOES IT JUST SEEM THAT Way JH? :)

This is just a prime example of why TT gets under my skin.

He loves to POKEY it.

Is he just slow or SLOW?

He came within a whisker of losing Aaron Kampman.

What does it take him to go to school?

It's ALL about the Packers and winning not about TT's personality or quirks.

PACKERS fOREVER ! :)

Tyrone Bigguns
11-09-2007, 07:06 PM

Are YOU Ted Thompson?

OR . . .DOES IT JUST SEEM THAT Way JH? :)

This is just a prime example of why TT gets under my skin.

He loves to POKEY it.

Is he just slow or SLOW?

He came within a whisker of losing Aaron Kampman.

What does it take him to go to school?

It's ALL about the Packers and winning not about TT's personality or quirks.

PACKERS fOREVER ! :)

God, my brain hurts from reading your posts.

How do you know TT is pokey? It takes two sides to negotiate. You nor I, nor anyone else knows how the negotiations went. Just because you read something doesn't make it factual. Part of the game is playing it thru the media.

I can see it now. TT quickly signs a player and you would complain that he overpaid, that he shoulda waited to see what the market demand was.

I don't care if it came within a whisker...is Kampman signed? Yes. Then all your talk is just blather.

7-1. Guess we woulda been 8-0 if only TT would get rid of all his annoying traits. :roll:

MadtownPacker
11-09-2007, 07:20 PM
I would say TT needs to drop some major dollars on him or C.Williams will be C.Yalater. If it aint broke dont fix it. The strength zapping DL rotation is what has kept the Pack in games all year. I don't want it to change at all. Sign him and throw some others a few $$$. It can be done and it wouldn't burn the team financially. I could only see him somewhere else if he gets a ridiculous contract. Thompson seems like to spend his FA cash on D.

Of course, he may just want to get the hell out of Green Bay. :lol:

Partial
11-09-2007, 07:25 PM
We will have plenty of cap room guys. Hawk got an 11 million dollar roster bonus this year. We'll be fine financially.

pbmax
11-09-2007, 07:48 PM
Just like the Kampman deal, the player and agent know that time is on their side. The market for D Lineman is even better (as in steadier) than for QBs. Romo took a Dallas friendly deal and that will have repercussions for all QBs. There are too many D lineman for one odd deal to throw the market off.

Clearly he is refusing a home team discount or an early renegotiation discount.

If it gets done, it'll be after player evaluations in the offseason, right before FA, just like Kampman.

Like AK, he has steadily improved and would seem to be a good bet not to relax after getting paid. But with Harrell and Jolly waiting, T2 won't make a monster bet like he did with Woodson.

the_idle_threat
11-09-2007, 08:32 PM
Perhaps my opinion is "Complete Bojive." Partial, but just watch: He'll walk away in free agency for the big money, and he'll be another Gabe Wilkins.

He knows he's being overvalued, because he's getting garbage sacks due to the good coverage downfield combined with the hustle of other players on the line, like Kampman and Jenkins. His numbers are inflated. He'll cash in, and be expected to generate those numbers himself. He doesn't have the talent to do it.

RashanGary
11-09-2007, 08:44 PM
He knows he's being overvalued, because he's getting garbage sacks due to the good coverage downfield combined with the hustle of other players on the line, like Kampman and Jenkins. His numbers are inflated. He'll cash in, and be expected to generate those numbers himself. He doesn't have the talent to do it.

I agree with this. It sounds like Williams knows he's going to get monster offers. He's playing well, but he gets a lot of single blockers because of Kampman, KGB, Jenkins and Pickett (in the run game).

I was against letting Williams go because I assumed he would sign a fair deal a year early. It sound (according to reports) like he is not willing to do that and he wants to test his value on the open market. The way he's inflated, I'm sure he'll get $$ thrown his way, but he may not be worth it. Ted Thompson has done a great job. If he lets him go, I'll lean on the side of trust and assume it was a good move before I go nuts and look stupid a few months down the road.

Another option is to franchise him. It's 6.7 mil for one year. If he still wants to play hard ball, let him go the following year. He'll be 29 then and we'll have gotten one more year of his prime for a reasonable price. I don't think he'll want to play year to year at that age. Injuries have a funny way of happening as guys approach 30. He'd be wise to cut a long term deal. If not, just get one more year out of him and let him go when Jolly, Harrell and Muir are fully developed. As nice as it is to have him, we do have many good ones and you never know when Ted will find another. He's valuable, but he's not as valuable as the UFA market is going to dictate. I do think the franchise tag would be a good way to approach the Williams situation. ONe year at 6.7 mil is a lot better than 6 years 36 mil with 12 gauranteed.

Partial
11-09-2007, 08:47 PM
Perhaps my opinion is "Complete Bojive." Partial, but just watch: He'll walk away in free agency for the big money, and he'll be another Gabe Wilkins.

That I don't necessarily agree with. He's very slippery and has a knack for getting past people.

the_idle_threat
11-09-2007, 08:54 PM

That I don't necessarily agree with. He's very slippery and has a knack for getting past people.

The Wilkins comparison is pushing it, I admit, because Williams has to be doing something right in order to get to the quarterback as much as he has. But I think his production is maybe 50% his own efforts and 50% a result of the group he's playing with. He's replaceable.

Funny how we always rip on the national writers for not knowing anything, until they say something good but perhaps undeserved about one of our own.

Partial
11-09-2007, 08:56 PM
I think many have wanted Williams to be the 2nd priority after Jenkins. He is versatile and effective.

Let's put it this way, if they want to realistically take a shot at the SB next year they should extend Williams.

RashanGary
11-09-2007, 09:03 PM
If they want to keep Williams next year (because you think the SB is in reach), but the market is 35 mil on a 6 year deal then just sign him for 6.7 as the franchise player and make him play one more year before he gets the big pay day. If they want one more year with him, there are other ways to do it that don't involve giving him more than Kamp. It might force his hand a little on a longer deal too.

Rastak
11-09-2007, 09:28 PM
If they want to keep Williams next year (because you think the SB is in reach), but the market is 35 mil on a 6 year deal then just sign him for 6.7 as the franchise player and make him play one more year before he gets the big pay day. If they want one more year with him, there are other ways to do it that don't involve giving him more than Kamp. It might force his hand a little on a longer deal too.

Keep in mind how players detest and act like total jackasses when they get the tag. I don't agree with their behavior in most cases but you gotta factor it in.

Scott Campbell
11-09-2007, 10:05 PM
wILLIAMS WON'T BE HERE NEXT SEASON IMO.

I agree, and that's too bad. The price of doing business with him just went way up.

b bulldog
11-09-2007, 10:13 PM
If he is tagged, he'll probably hold out till the third week in the preseason and than get hurt. If TT wants him back he should get a deal done before UFA begins, if not, tag him and trade him for somthing.

ZachMN
11-09-2007, 10:14 PM

I agree with this. It sounds like Williams knows he's going to get monster offers. He's playing well, but he gets a lot of single blockers because of Kampman, KGB, Jenkins and Pickett (in the run game).

I was against letting Williams go because I assumed he would sign a fair deal a year early. It sound (according to reports) like he is not willing to do that and he wants to test his value on the open market. The way he's inflated, I'm sure he'll get $$ thrown his way, but he may not be worth it. Ted Thompson has done a great job. If he lets him go, I'll lean on the side of trust and assume it was a good move before I go nuts and look stupid a few months down the road.

Another option is to franchise him. It's 6.7 mil for one year. If he still wants to play hard ball, let him go the following year. He'll be 29 then and we'll have gotten one more year of his prime for a reasonable price. I don't think he'll want to play year to year at that age. Injuries have a funny way of happening as guys approach 30. He'd be wise to cut a long term deal. If not, just get one more year out of him and let him go when Jolly, Harrell and Muir are fully developed. As nice as it is to have him, we do have many good ones and you never know when Ted will find another. He's valuable, but he's not as valuable as the UFA market is going to dictate. I do think the franchise tag would be a good way to approach the Williams situation. ONe year at 6.7 mil is a lot better than 6 years 36 mil with 12 gauranteed.

I was hoping someone would bring this up, if we can leverage him for some draft picks, all the better because TT has shown he can find good productive players for us.....

Bretsky
11-10-2007, 12:21 AM

I'm curious as to who is the best DT on our team then ? I suppose Pickett; but after that Williams brings more to the table currently since he can be effective at both DT and DE. We don't currently have a guy on the DL that can just step in and offer as much as Williams if we let him go for free IMO

Bretsky
11-10-2007, 12:26 AM

So much of success in the NFL is work ethic and attitude and the drive to succeed. I haven't seen Gabe Wilkins like Mentality in Williams.

From the sounds of it you do not agree with the scouts who have broken down Williams play this year. He also makes the players around him better. It's the strength of the unit IMO.

That being said, I'm sure he wants to cash in and with everybody having plenty of cash he'd be stupid to take a home town discount

Bretsky
11-10-2007, 12:28 AM

Good point on the franchise deal; if Favre returns and TT thinks GB has a true Super Bowl shot that's a good idea. We have loads of cap room so one year at that salary won't hurt

Bretsky
11-10-2007, 12:30 AM

The Wilkins comparison is pushing it, I admit, because Williams has to be doing something right in order to get to the quarterback as much as he has. But I think his production is maybe 50% his own efforts and 50% a result of the group he's playing with. He's replaceable.

Funny how we always rip on the national writers for not knowing anything, until they say something good but perhaps undeserved about one of our own.

I'm a bit biased as I've always liked C Williams, but I think he's every bit as good as PFW stated

esoxx
11-10-2007, 01:16 AM
Too much dicking around w/ Williams. Git-R-Done TT!

the_idle_threat
11-10-2007, 01:57 AM

I'm curious as to who is the best DT on our team then ? I suppose Pickett; but after that Williams brings more to the table currently since he can be effective at both DT and DE. We don't currently have a guy on the DL that can just step in and offer as much as Williams if we let him go for free IMO

IMO, Pickett is better, and Jenkins is basically the same guy, except I think he's a little better too.

I agree that we don't have a guy on the roster right now who can do the same things right now, but I think a guy can be found in the offseason, and for that matter, the depth at the position might absorb the loss without a hitch. Jolly has looked pretty good, and we don't know what we have yet in Harrell or even Daniel Muir.

Partial
11-10-2007, 01:59 AM

IMO, Pickett is better, and Jenkins is basically the same guy, except I think he's a little better too.

I agree that we don't have a guy on the roster right now who can do the same things right now, but I think a guy can be found in the offseason, and for that matter, the depth at the position might absorb the loss without a hitch. Jolly has looked pretty good, and we don't know what we have yet in Harrell or even Daniel Muir.

Hopefully we do have players in those guys and can trade Williams. That would be ideal. Letting a guy walk just seems dumb when you have so many unknowns behind him, though.

the_idle_threat
11-10-2007, 02:54 AM

So much of success in the NFL is work ethic and attitude and the drive to succeed. I haven't seen Gabe Wilkins like Mentality in Williams.

From the sounds of it you do not agree with the scouts who have broken down Williams play this year. He also makes the players around him better. It's the strength of the unit IMO.

That being said, I'm sure he wants to cash in and with everybody having plenty of cash he'd be stupid to take a home town discount

I think Williams is a good player, but he's a little overrated. He's not a great player. He gets a lot of sacks for a DT, but I frequently see the QB chased into him by another pass rusher. I give him credit for slipping free from blockers and getting to the backfield, but I doubt he would have half as many sacks without buys like Kampman and/or Kabeer causing pressure from the edges, plus coverage downfield causing the QB to hold the ball. So is it him making everyone else better? I'd say it's the other way around.

He hustles and tries hard, but he's basically been in contract years last season (as guys typically get locked up with one year remaining) and this year (impending UFA). Two seasons ago, when he was supposed to be a big contributor, he was a disappointment and he lost playing time to Colin Cole.

I don't think scouts are necessarily wrong about him, but you have to take the article with a grain of salt. They say he's improved. What does that mean? He certainly isn't a blue chip player. There are probably 25 defensive tackles in the league that are better than him. So Williams must be a red? (Remember the scale, from best to worst, goes blue, red, purple, green, yellow.) I would think he was no worse than a purple before, maybe even a purple (+) or a red (-) after last season, so this really isn't that much of an improvement. Especially since I don't see him as any better than a red (-) now.

I think he'll be overvalued in the UFA market, and he knows it, so he's intent on testing the waters. Some team out there that needs pash rush help will look at his sack numbers and pay him like he's a difference-maker, and really he isn't one. He'll fail to recreate those numbers without as much help around him. He'll be another free agent flop, just like Gabe Wilkins was.

It's nothing personal against the guy---I don't dislike him. I just think he's overrated right now and will be overvalued as a FA. I can't blame him for recognizing that his value is high and wanting to cash in as best he can. I just hope it's not the Packers who overpay him.

the_idle_threat
11-10-2007, 03:42 AM

Hopefully we do have players in those guys and can trade Williams. That would be ideal. Letting a guy walk just seems dumb when you have so many unknowns behind him, though.

If he's intent upon testing the free agent waters, then there's not much you can do unless you franchise him, with all of the negative baggage that comes along with it.

RashanGary
11-10-2007, 09:40 AM
Reports are that TT tried to get it done but Williams wants to see UFA. If that is the case, franchise him, keep him for one more year then let him go and get a compensitory pick for losing him. Williams seems content breaking off discussions early so he should be OK with the team using their power too.

b bulldog
11-10-2007, 10:11 AM
Players who are tagged usually become disgrunteled and holdout until they sign near the start of the season. he is not worth $7mil for one season imo, I'd try to trade him if he can't be signed under a fair contract.

Rastak
11-10-2007, 10:13 AM
Players who are tagged usually become disgrunteled and holdout until they sign near the start of the season. he is not worth $7mil for one season imo, I'd try to trade him if he can't be signed under a fair contract.

How do you trade a guy who is about to be an UFA?

MJZiggy
11-10-2007, 10:24 AM
You tag him first (or at least let other teams know that's what you're gonna do).

Rastak
11-10-2007, 10:39 AM
You tag him first (or at least let other teams know that's what you're gonna do).

The minute he signs it I believe you are on the hook for it.

I doubt TT goes that route.

MJZiggy
11-10-2007, 10:58 AM
You're on the hook when you sign it, but when you trade the player, his contract goes with him.

Rastak
11-10-2007, 11:08 AM
You're on the hook when you sign it, but when you trade the player, his contract goes with him.

Can you even trade a tenderd player? I would think you'd have to sign him....not sure....where's Patler when you need him.

RashanGary
11-10-2007, 12:20 PM
6.7 for one year isn't bad. If I had to make a decision with my limited knowledge of the situation, I'd do it.

He'd have pressure to sign a longer one with a bigger bonus. If not, you get him for one more at age 28. The following year he'll be a 310 lb 29 year old guy. Losing him at that point hurts (you do get a compensitory for losing FA's) but it doesn't hurt as much as a 6 year 36 million dollar deal would. I'm just speculating, but I think he gets that much on the UFA market.

The Packers do have options. They might not have the option to sign him to a fair deal (according to reports) but they do have the franchise option. It buys them one more year of the guys prime.

retailguy
11-10-2007, 04:35 PM

Can you even trade a tenderd player? I would think you'd have to sign him....not sure....where's Patler when you need him.

You can work out the deal, even delay the signing bonus until the new team get him, but the player must sign the tender offer to be traded.

retailguy
11-10-2007, 04:37 PM

The minute he signs it I believe you are on the hook for it.

I doubt TT goes that route.

This is true. His salary becomes guaranteed the moment he signs the tender. You can still trade him though, and the new team inherits the salary guarantee.