PDA

View Full Version : Wayne Simmons

HarveyWallbangers
05-10-2006, 10:38 PM
Hopefully, Hawk and Hodge bring the attitude Wayne brought to the championship club.

Simmons was larger-than-life figure
By MARTIN HENDRICKS

Editor's note: The 2006 NFL season marks the 10th anniversary of the 1996 Green Bay Packers, who finished the regular season at 13-3 and went on to defeat New England in Super Bowl XXXI. Over the next several issues, Packer Plus, in its "Flashback" feature, will focus on a different member of that championship team.

"When I line up across from you, I will destroy you and I will crush you."

That statement from Wayne Simmons in the 1997 Green Bay Packers media guide reflected the intensity and attitude of the former linebacker, who played for the Packers from 1993-1997. He was traded to the Kansas City Chiefs during the 1997 season and concluded his career with the Buffalo Bills in 1998.

In August 2002, Simmons was killed in a one-car crash on Interstate 70 at about 2:45 a.m. in Independence, Mo. Simmons reportedly was driving alone at a high rate of speed and was weaving his Mercedes-Benz through traffic when he lost control and his vehicle went off the road.

According to Milwaukee Journal Sentinel reports, his car rolled over several times and landed in a ditch before the engine caught fire. Witnesses tried to rescue Simmons from the burning vehicle, but could not unfasten his seat belt. He was extricated from the wreckage by firefighters and pronounced dead at Independence Regional Health Center.

Simmons, a 6-foot-3, 250-pound left outside or "Buck" linebacker, was a fierce competitor who enjoyed his reputation as one of the nastiest players in the National Football League.

Just ask teammate Frank Winters, the former Packer center who shared the same reputation.

"I played every down like it was my last, that's the only way I knew how to play football," Winters said. "Wayne was just an intense guy who played hard, whether in games or at practice. It was just his nature. He brought a certain toughness and presence to our defense at a time when we needed it.

"He was an intense guy off the field, too. He loved to have fun and party, was always loud, and liked to joke around with his teammates. He lived life at a fast pace. He worked hard and played hard."

Winters said as he gets older, he reflects on the loss of some of the key members on the Packers Super Bowl-winning team of 1996.

"As I sit back and think about it, we've lost some people from that team," Winters said. "First Fritz (Shurmur, defensive coordinator) to cancer, then Wayne to an unfortunate accident, and then Reggie White.

"You hate to see such great people pass away tragically. It makes me think back to all the moments we had and enjoy them, because it all goes by so fast."

Winters said Simmons did not get along with every member of the coaching staff, but he was a favorite of Shurmur's.

"I think Fritz liked his 'hard-ass' kind of attitude," Winters said. "I remember on the sidelines of some games, Fritz would yell at Wayne and Wayne would yell right back. After the game, they're hugging each other in the locker room. I think Fritz really loved Wayne for who he was and how he played the game. They seemed to feed off each other.

"Wayne didn't get along perfectly with everybody - if it were up to Wayne we'd be hitting in practice 24/7, and that's not the way Coach Holmgren wanted it done."

In his five-year Green Bay career, he played in 64 games, including starting in the Packers' 35-21 victory over New England in Super Bowl XXXI in New Orleans.

Six games into the 1997 season, Simmons was traded to the Kansas City Chiefs as the Packers coaches decided to go with Seth Joyner as their starter.

"Wayne was one of the most physical guys in the league, especially at the point of attack," said LeRoy Butler, former Packer safety.

"I remember hearing that he died on a sports channel, and then getting a call from a former teammate, George Koonce. Once Wayne arrived in Green Bay, we never had a problem with the tight end again. His claim to fame was that he was a tough guy. He took out one or two guys on a play, which allowed me to make some plays on defense."

Butler said he remembers Simmons' stellar play against the San Francisco 49ers in the 1995 NFC divisional playoff game.

"He took Brent Jones, a Pro Bowl player, right out of the game," Butler said.

Simmons also set the tone for the game on the 49ers' first offensive play, leveling fullback Adam Walker on a screen pass. The ensuing fumble was scooped up and returned 31 yards for a touchdown by rookie cornerback Craig Newsome.

The physical play of the Packer defense created four turnovers and pressured San Francisco quarterback Steve Young all afternoon, as Green Bay shocked the reigning Super Bowl champions by a 27-17 margin.

Simmons had a career game, accounting for a personal best 16 tackles (11 solo) and a quarterback sack.

"Wayne Simmons was an intense, all-out football player, probably the most intense player I've ever encountered," said Lee Remmel, team historian. "He was very committed to the game of football and had a productive career with the Packers."

Simmons was the Packers' No. 1 draft choice in 1993 after stellar collegiate play at Clemson and as an all-state high school player at Hilton Head (S.C.) High School.

He overcame a pre-season knee injury in 1993 to start eight games and play in 14. Simmons earned NFL all-rookie honors for his play, which included 39 tackles, one sack, and two interceptions.

The 1994 season was one to forget, as Simmons sprained his left knee in the third pre-season game and was inactive for the Packers first four regular-season games. In his absence, Bryce Paup flourished and became the starter, earning Pro Bowl honors. Simmons appeared in 12 games and started one, and was a key contributor to special teams.

Paup was lured away from Green Bay by Buffalo for a multi-million-dollar contract after the season, paving the way for Simmons to excel in 1995. He started all 16 regular season and three playoff games, finishing as the Packers' second-leading tackler with a career-high 103, including 68 solo.

The athletic linebacker lived up to his potential, wreaking havoc with his physical brand of play and ability to make the big play. He had a career-high four sacks and five passes defended, along with a forced fumble and one fumble recovery.

In an article by Gary D'Amato of the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel in the 1995 Packer Yearbook, Shurmur said Simmons "has worked extremely hard - I mean really, really hard. He has worked his butt off from a physical standpoint. Mentally, he's really tuned in."

Winters said Simmons "had a great season and was a key member of our defense. And he was one of our vocal leaders every Sunday. He came into his own in 1995."

Simmons was a key contributor to the Packers' 1996 Super Bowl team, and tested free agency before resigning with the Packers after a long conversation with coach Mike Holmgren. The Packers traded Simmons to Kansas City on October 7, 1997.

Cliff Christl of the Journal Sentinel staff wrote in an August 24, 2002 story that "Simmons was traded after the Packers decided to bench him and insert Seth Joyner in the starting lineup." Holmgren figured that Simmons would be a disruption within the team if he remained as a backup player.

"I really look at him the same way I do (Andre) Rison," Holmgren said at the time. "Very, very volatile, high-strung guys who had been starters for their careers. I thought if we go ahead and do this, he might not accept it very well."

At the same time, Holmgren praised Simmons for his contribution during the Packers' (1996) championship season.

"Last year, he was a very, very important part of the team and I thought he had a great year," Holmgren said.

Five months before he was traded, Simmons was convicted in South Carolina of driving under the influence. A sexual assault charge also was pending against him in Georgia.

Simmons played in Kansas City for parts of two seasons, starting 18 games before being released after an embarrassing 30-7 loss to rival Denver on "Monday Night Football."

During that game, linebackers Simmons and Derrick Thomas of the Chiefs were flagged for five personal fouls on the Broncos' winning touchdown drive.

Buffalo claimed Simmons on waivers on November 19, 1998 and he played in six games before his release in February 1999.

"I think Wayne was happiest in Green Bay," Butler said. "I know he wanted to stay with the Packers, but the trade was made. That's life in the NFL. But he helped bring a Super Bowl championship back home to Green Bay."

Murphy37
05-10-2006, 10:55 PM
Good thread. I remember watching that 49er game. Wayne just kicked the shit out of Jones. I mean he physically kicked his ass all over the field without mercy. I loved it. And I think it was the SuperBowl when he was introduced on to the field, and instead of running, he just walked out like he was the undertaker. That guy was intense. We need someone who puts fear into an offense's mind like he did. Thanks for the flashback.

esoxx
05-10-2006, 11:06 PM
My favorite Simmons moment was during the 1996 season in a game against the Vikings. He picked up Amp Lee, spun him around a few times like he was winding up for the shot put and then piled drived him into the unforgiving Metrodome turf. Intimidation and toughness were his calling card.

GrnBay007
05-10-2006, 11:24 PM
Thanks Harv! I hope you will post the rest of the flashback features. Great reading.

KYPack
05-11-2006, 07:42 AM
Great post Harv.

Every defense needs a badass or two, and Wayne Simmons was ours. That guy was one tough hombre.

A few years ago, they were doing a retrospective with Brett about the Super Bowl teams. They were going over the various players on the club and Brett was talking about each one. At one point, they brought up Wayne Simmons. Brett got a funny look on his face, and said "Wayne Simmons?, he was a scary guy and I was scared of him!"

He was an important member of those teams and he's kind of a forgotten guy now. Wayne had a short career and a short life. he wasn't the kind of guy who would live a long life and wind up on the porch in a rocking chair. He was a blazing comet of a guy, meant to be a rough tough linebacker.

pacfan
05-11-2006, 08:51 AM
Good thread. I remember watching that 49er game. Wayne just kicked the shit out of Jones. I mean he physically kicked his ass all over the field without mercy. I loved it. And I think it was the SuperBowl when he was introduced on to the field, and instead of running, he just walked out like he was the undertaker. That guy was intense. We need someone who puts fear into an offense's mind like he did. Thanks for the flashback.

I still remember Simmons entrance at the Super bowl. We went nuts when he strolled in. A true bad-ass.

Thanks for the article, its great to talk about the past stars.

SkinBasket
05-11-2006, 08:54 AM
My favorite Simmons moment was during the 1996 season in a game against the Vikings. He picked up Amp Lee, spun him around a few times like he was winding up for the shot put and then piled drived him into the unforgiving Metrodome turf. Intimidation and toughness were his calling card.

That play tops my list as well. Looked like a grown man tossing an 8 year old around. Not that I've seen a grown man toss an 8 year old before...

Deputy Nutz
05-11-2006, 11:08 AM
I always thought of Simmons as very inconsistent. His Break out game was that playoff game in 95 against the 49ers, but he would just disappear during stretches of the season. When he got amped up he was an industructable force, that was like a wrecking ball on the field. His energy level wasn't always consistent, so his play was inconsistent.

Harlan Huckleby
05-11-2006, 12:23 PM
I just hope they don't have a posse like Torrance Marshall's.

Guiness
05-11-2006, 12:36 PM
I'd forgotten Seth Joyner passed through town. IIRC he was unspectacular, wasn't he? I guess he should've been an upgrade over Simmons, but thinking back, I don't remember it being so.

Was Simmons in that much of decline at that time? He sure didn't last long in the league after he left here.

Deputy Nutz
05-11-2006, 12:39 PM
I think his off the field troubles began to mount, and on top of that, Joyner was the better player at the time. The main thing, He and Holmgren didn't see eye to eye.

mraynrand
05-11-2006, 01:04 PM
"Simmons played in Kansas City for parts of two seasons, starting 18 games before being released after an embarrassing 30-7 loss to rival Denver on "Monday Night Football."

During that game, linebackers Simmons and Derrick Thomas of the Chiefs were flagged for five personal fouls on the Broncos' winning touchdown drive. "

-------

Did anyone else see this? I have no idea why I was still watching this game up until the bitter end, but I saw that final drive. Thomas and Simmons were out of control. They had really lost it. Something was wrong with both of those guys and eerily, they both died the same way about (a year?) apart - in single vehicle high speed crashes where they both lost control of their car/truck. Simmons was an absolute beast, but he couldn't control it. I recall hearing that the reason they got rid of him was because he was a total disruptive element in the lockerroom and Holmgren couldn't take it anymore.

KYPack
05-11-2006, 04:10 PM
[I recall hearing that the reason they got rid of him was because he was a total disruptive element in the lockerroom and Holmgren couldn't take it anymore.[/quote]

Yer right.

There was a nasty lockerroom incident between Reggie and Simmons that the coaches had to calm down. Holmgren had had it with Simmons and Wayne was dispatched to KC for a song.

The full story didn't come out right away and then was forgotten after Simmon's death.

The guy was a bitch, but totally out of control.

Deputy Nutz
05-11-2006, 04:21 PM
Simmons was just another Clemson guy. Decent athlete, but no brains or self control.

Never Draft a Clemson football player.

This article talks about him like he was Lawrence Taylor.

b bulldog
05-11-2006, 09:22 PM
I remember before the Superbowl game started, when the starting lineups were being announced, when Simmons was shown, it looked as though he was going to kill someone.

ND72
05-12-2006, 09:38 AM
Wayne Simmons was the first linebacker i ever really loved. He was a personal favorite of mine from the day he was drafted. The intensity he brought was obvious every play he was on the field. I was probably as sad, well not really as sad as Reggie, but the day i found out Wayne had died, was a person hit on me, because of the respect i had for him while in green bay. I know he had problems, heck we all do, but what was important for his job, on sundays, he performed as well as i could hope.

Kind of weird that my 2 all time favorite LB's as of right now, Derrick Thomas and Wayne Simmons, both died way too young.

b bulldog
05-12-2006, 02:39 PM
My two favorite LB's are LT and Ray Lewis. Since I'm to young to have seen 676 play, my favorite LB that wore the green and gold is Brian Noble and George Koonce is a close second.

Harlan Huckleby
05-12-2006, 02:45 PM
I gotta go with Brian Noble and MadDog Douglass.

jack's smirking revenge
05-12-2006, 03:02 PM
I hate to admit that I didn't know that he died. How tragic.

Great story. Thanks for posting.

tyler

The Leaper
05-12-2006, 03:16 PM
Harlan...

Where's Rosie?

Harlan Huckleby
05-12-2006, 05:05 PM
Harlan...

Where's Rosie?

To my knowlege, Rosie never played linebacker for Packers. But u may be onto something.

KYPack
05-12-2006, 05:20 PM
1. Ray Nitschke. HOF and Warrior. The heart & soul of the Lombardi era defenses. The leader on 5 Championship teams.

2. HH's Blue dog avatar. Bring it back Harlan.