PDA

View Full Version : Pre-emptive Strike

Partial
11-09-2007, 06:07 PM
Darren McFadden isn't half the running back prospect coming out of college that Adrian Peterson was. Other than injury concerns, it was quite obvious to me he was up there with Calvin is terms of ability to impact a game and just straight up being a freakish athlete.

McFadden is an 8.0 if Peterson is a 10.0

Partial
11-09-2007, 06:14 PM
I have also decided that I don't care for Felix Jones. He's fast, but he never gets any yards after contact.

Partial
11-09-2007, 06:17 PM
West Virginia's Noel Devine looks like he will be an NFL stud some day as well. He needs to thicken up, though. He breaks a lot of tackles.

cheesner
11-09-2007, 06:42 PM
Darren McFadden isn't half the running back prospect coming out of college that Adrian Peterson was. Other than injury concerns, it was quite obvious to me he was up there with Calvin is terms of ability to impact a game and just straight up being a freakish athlete.

McFadden is an 8.0 if Peterson is a 10.0

He is 8/10 the RB?

McFadden is very good - you are selling him short.

Peterson - everyone knew he was a stud. Problem is he was injured often. His only full season was as a freshman in College. How will he hold up banging with the big boys? Time will tell.

Partial
11-09-2007, 06:55 PM
McFadden is good but he is not nearly as good as Peterson was in college. He doesn't dominate games and doesn't show up against good defenses. He had what 50 yards on 20 rushes against Auburn?!?

Tyrone Bigguns
11-09-2007, 07:33 PM
McFadden is good but he is not nearly as good as Peterson was in college. He doesn't dominate games and doesn't show up against good defenses. He had what 50 yards on 20 rushes against Auburn?!?

You are outta your mind. First, Mcfadden can do more than AD, better receiver, kick returner and played some QB.

Furthermore, he plays in a much tougher conference.

Second, selectively picking a game to justify your point is foolish.

AD:
36 for 130 against Kstate?
15 for 58 against Nebraska?
25 for 82 against USC?
29 for 101 against Texas A&M?

All of those under 4 yards a carry.

5.68 ypc average

22 for 63 against TC fucking U?
23 for 58 against UCLA?
29 for 108 against Texas Tech?
24 for 80 against Oregon?

That is two games under 3 yards a carry.

5.0 ypc. average

20 for 77 against Boise State?

Zero yards against Colo, Mizzou, A&M, TT, Baylor, OK State, and Nebraska.

Season: 5.38 ypc.

Mcfadden:

This season 2 games under 4 ypc.

5.92 ypc average. BETTER than any season AD had.

19 for 71 against Vandy.
17 for 65 gainst Miss (a blowout win for Ark)
26 for 84 gainst Miss St.
21 for 73 against Florida.

5.8 ypc average. BETTER than any season AD had.

2 games under 4 ypc.

6.32 ypc. BETTER than any season AD had.

By any objective standard, Mcfadden is more consistent, plays more games, acrues more yards, has a higher ypc average, passes, returns kicks, etc.

And, he plays for a much more one dimensional team. Ark makes Oklahoma look like BYU or Hawaii. In 06 Ok had a passing rating of 144 while Ark was at 122. In 05 Ok had over 2000 yards passing, Ark didn't even break 1500.

You tell me which team is easier to defend. Anyone who watched UW vs. Ark could plainly see that Ark's offense was basically Mcfadden and Jones. They couldn't even pass the ball.

Is Mcfadden better than AD? I don't know. But, there is no way you can make an argument that he is half the player.

Partial
11-09-2007, 07:36 PM
I didn't say he was half the player, I said he was 8/10s the prospect.

He doesn't have that extra gear, and he doesn't break as many tackles. He is extremely overrated. He will probably go #1 but he won't be the best back in the NFL or likely top 5. I would certainly take him to be on the Packers and I think he would start, but he is getting really overrated. He isn't and never will be in APs league. People knew Peterson since freshman year of HS. I doubt the same was said for McFadden.

I don't necessarily think the SEC has been better than the Big-12.

Rastak
11-09-2007, 07:37 PM
I don't follow college football too much except to watch the Gophers lose, but did McFadden stroll into Div I and put up 2000 yards as a true freshman?

Man, that is some series stuff there. I haven't seen McFadden play so maybe he's just as good.

MadtownPacker
11-09-2007, 07:46 PM
I didnt know squat about any of these guys but right now I would have to say peterson is playing is the tougher conference.

Cheesehead Craig
11-09-2007, 10:11 PM
McFadden = Reggie Bush

A guy who can hurt you multiple ways, has tons of hype but not enough ability to ever live up to it.

He's not a bad player, simply different than Peterson.

esoxx
11-09-2007, 10:12 PM
I like Rice from Rutgers.

Scott Campbell
11-09-2007, 10:18 PM

Sorry, the SEC is tough. But the NFC North is tougher.

Partial
11-09-2007, 10:19 PM

Me too. A lot. Problem is he has so many carries on his body already. He won't time super fast but he's a good player. Reminds me of Marion Barber.

Scott Campbell
11-09-2007, 10:19 PM
I didnt know squat about any of these guys but right now I would have to say peterson is playing is the tougher conference.

My bad. You caught if first.

Charles Woodson
11-09-2007, 10:25 PM
West Virginia's Noel Devine looks like he will be an NFL stud some day as well. He needs to thicken up, though. He breaks a lot of tackles.

Do you even know anything about this kid?
This kid makes marshawn lynch look like an angel in terms of character, i think he had 4 kids with different mothers as sophomore. who know how many now... He was the kid deion sanders tried to adopt but noel didn't want to be so he stole deions car and flew back and enrolled back in his old school, i think north fort myers... HE is a freak though, amazing skills watching his sophomore game tape made my jaw drop...
Bottom line, if he keeps his act together he could have a great nfl career

MJZiggy
11-09-2007, 10:31 PM
Or the next T.O.

Rastak
11-09-2007, 10:32 PM

This kid makes marshawn lynch look like an angel in terms of character, i think he had 4 kids with different mothers as sophomore. who know how many now... He was the kid deion sanders tried to adopt but noel didn't want to be so he stole deions car and flew back and enrolled back in his old school, i think north fort myers... HE is a freak though, amazing skills watching his sophomore game tape made my jaw drop...

It worked for Travis Henry!

:wink:

Deputy Nutz
11-09-2007, 10:34 PM

He doesn't have that extra gear, and he doesn't break as many tackles. He is extremely overrated. He will probably go #1 but he won't be the best back in the NFL or likely top 5. I would certainly take him to be on the Packers and I think he would start, but he is getting really overrated. He isn't and never will be in APs league. People knew Peterson since freshman year of HS. I doubt the same was said for McFadden.

How can you come to this conclusion? How many games have you seen McFadden play, versus how many games you have seen Peterson play in college? Compare the teams that they played on?

I know I haven't and I don't even work on Saturdays.

Partial
11-09-2007, 10:35 PM

No, I didn't know any of that. I've watched him play a few times this year though and I think he is better than Slaton. He is not quite as fast but way more powerful. He's a true freshman though, so i'm not sure what the sophomore stuff means other than possibly high school.

Partial
11-09-2007, 10:43 PM

How can you come to this conclusion? How many games have you seen McFadden play, versus how many games you have seen Peterson play in college? Compare the teams that they played on?

I will be the first to admit I didn't see much of Peterson, but I have seen 4 games that McFadden has played on in the last two years. I didn't know who he was as a freshman. I only saw Peterson twice at OK, so I am basing it slightly off of his highlights.

McFadden does not strike me as nearly as hard of a runner. Peterson is insanely super special fast and can pull away from people like Ahman Green. I'm not convinced that McFadden is as fast.

The big difference is Peterson is perfect in every sense of the game other than his running style and his injury concerns. His injuries weren't really related to how he runs high, though. One was from celebrating a touchdown and the other was just a high ankle sprain. Everything I read from scouts and the big sites said he was a once-in-a-lifetime talent.

I am not seeing the same thing with McFadden, nor am I hearing it or seeing it written. He's good no doubt, but every year it seems there is someone just like him. Peterson was rare.

the_idle_threat
11-10-2007, 03:10 AM

This guy sonds like Cecil Collins or Lawrence Phillips kind of trouble.

Tyrone Bigguns
11-11-2007, 02:17 AM

"Darren McFadden isn't half the running back prospect coming out of college that Adrian Peterson was"

Sounds like you said half.

Extra gear: You are high. Runs a 4.38. Faster than AD.

High school: You should keep you mouth shut, so people can just guess you don't know something, instead of opening it and confirming it. He was a 5 star recruit, #23 on rivals top 100, and #2 player at his position coming out of high school. The football world knew about him. The only question they had was what position he would play.

BTW, no one knew about AD since freshmen year. He didn't play varsity until his junior year. Man, you make it too easy.

Tackles: Two different types of runners. AD is more physical, no doubt. But, he is also hurt a lot more. And, he can only run. He isn't a good receiver, doesn't return kicks, can't pass, etc. He is far from a complete back. He is a great runner, but he isn't a complete back.

SEC: Florida, LSU, Georgia, Tenn, Auburn, Bama, etc. Big 12 is Texas and OU, that is it. What you think isn't relevant. The facts speak for themselves.

Go check out any ratings of conferences. Not even in dispute.

Tyrone Bigguns
11-11-2007, 02:23 AM

No, I didn't know any of that. I've watched him play a few times this year though and I think he is better than Slaton. He is not quite as fast but way more powerful. He's a true freshman though, so i'm not sure what the sophomore stuff means other than possibly high school.

You just continue to prove you know very little about football, and you just make it up.

More powerful than Slaton. Oh lord. Devine is FIVE FUCKING EIGHT AND A BUCK 17O. Slaton is 195 and two inches taller. And, they are both timed at 4.4 in the 40.

Tyrone Bigguns
11-11-2007, 02:27 AM

I will be the first to admit I didn't see much of Peterson, but I have seen 4 games that McFadden has played on in the last two years. I didn't know who he was as a freshman. I only saw Peterson twice at OK, so I am basing it slightly off of his highlights.

McFadden does not strike me as nearly as hard of a runner. Peterson is insanely super special fast and can pull away from people like Ahman Green. I'm not convinced that McFadden is as fast.

The big difference is Peterson is perfect in every sense of the game other than his running style and his injury concerns. His injuries weren't really related to how he runs high, though. One was from celebrating a touchdown and the other was just a high ankle sprain. Everything I read from scouts and the big sites said he was a once-in-a-lifetime talent.

I am not seeing the same thing with McFadden, nor am I hearing it or seeing it written. He's good no doubt, but every year it seems there is someone just like him. Peterson was rare.

Oh, I guess that broken collar bone wasn't from his running style.

You just make shit up as you go. You are worried about rice and his hits, while between Ad's senior year in high school and freshman season at Oklahoma, Peterson carried more than 600 times for more than 4,800 yards. In his freshman season alone, he had 339 carries for 1,925 yards. In fact, Peterson said he initially hurt his collarbone as a freshman. It didn't break until he was a junior.

Partial
03-19-2008, 10:05 PM

You just continue to prove you know very little about football, and you just make it up.

More powerful than Slaton. Oh lord. Devine is FIVE FUCKING EIGHT AND A BUCK 17O. Slaton is 195 and two inches taller. And, they are both timed at 4.4 in the 40.

Noel Devine is not even comparable. He is short, but very thick thighs like MJD and has what scouts are saying is the best balance for a running back ever.

But, it's going to bring his stock down that he is crazy short. I saw this pic today and figured i'd post it. The guy he is next to is 6'8", but still.

Not only that, but are you trying to say he's not more powerful than Slaton? Slaton is a finesse guy through and through. Devine is like Bush in running style but has the power of an MJD to run through people. He's a freak. WAY more powerful than Slaton, of course you're an idiot who is basing it strictly off their height and weight versus actual games.

http://www.wvmountaineersports.com/myimages/Devine.jpg

HarveyWallbangers
03-19-2008, 10:26 PM
What is he, about 5'1"?

Partial
03-19-2008, 10:29 PM
5'6"ish they are saying these days. Regardless, he is short like Warrick Dunn but much thicker. Word on the street is he is up to 180 for the upcoming year.

I don't think he has first round potential anymore with how short he is, though.

Scott Campbell
03-19-2008, 10:33 PM
Holy crap - is that Gary Coleman????

Partial
03-19-2008, 11:28 PM
Holy crap - is that Gary Coleman????

I think it just might be.

3irty1
03-20-2008, 12:01 AM
You are getting out of line. Noel Divine is a great college back and was maybe the best highschool running back ever but he's a midget for the NFL. Not saying he won't get there, but he's not a feature back on any NFL team ever. Enjoy watching him now.

And McFadden not that good of a prospect? Doesn't dominate? He was the Heisman runner up for the last two years which is an award for most outstanding college football player. He's an amazing athlete who has Adrian Peterson's speed and size but is a much more versatile weapon.

Adrian Peterson had a spectacular season last year and is already a proven player, but there's no way I'm buying that he was a better prospect coming out of college. Because he's not.

Partial
03-20-2008, 12:23 AM
I don't think Devine can be a feature back anymore. It is just coming out about his true height. Some scouts and his coaches knew. Most fans didn't. He will likely fall somewhere between Gary Coleman and Barry Sanders. Probably pretty similiar to a MJD. I'd love to pick him up in a few years and have him be a Packer provided he stays outta trouble.

He's a stud, though. Amazing balance and ability to run through people.

McFadden is a very good prospect but Adrian Peterson is the rare LeBron James type that everyone knew would be great since HS. He was a 5 star recruit and the best RB in his class. McFadden can't make the same claim, and he certainly wasn't well known to the average sports fan.

He's good and would start for a lot of teams but he isn't in Petersons league in terms of power. We'll see in a few months but I see two different types of players. Rarely do I see McFadden break a tackles by a linebacker or a DL. The reason for this is their offense is play-action and trick plays. He is always running outside it seems like as well. He'll not have nearly as much success as NFL linemen and backers are much faster.

He isn't as fast as he looks. In the LSU game, Jones damn near caught him from behind and would have absolutely if he wasn't blocked.

I am not sold on his ability to run in between the tackles. He certainly is fast, but he isn't in the same class of rare talent as AD. He is also a fumbler. He put 15 balls on the ground last year, and he seems to have a knack for doing it at the worst time. He fumbled twice against LSU on crucial plays!!!!! This likely won't stop either, as like Ahman Green, he is known to consider it very uncomfortable to carry the ball in his weaker hand. He always has it in the right.

Not only that, but he is also known to be a prick off the field and has some serious questions about how he will handle millions of dollars. He has gotten in trouble in the past and jeopardized his career after injuring his foot kicking someone. Peterson is a quiet, team-first guy.

Here is a highlight video of McFadden:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1FCfZoPGEFA

Take to note a few things:
- The distinct lack of broken tackles
- The trick-play offense
- The lack of inside runs
- The lack of runs from an i-formation that aren't a misdirection
- How lean he looks, his lower body looks horribly thin!
- How everytime he gets hit he falls down, regardless of if he is delivering the blow or not

Then, watch this one of Peterson.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_rJ1xDBT1jM

Peterson looks like Bo Jackson (would have been the best ever if not for injury - same concern with AD) where as McFadden looks like a poor man's Ted Ginn.

Granted they're not a very good way of judging a player, the difference in style of making plays is very evident. Peterson played in a pro-style offense and as a result was NOT running counters and misdirections play after play. He is breaking tackles in all layers of the defense, and is using much more than just his speed. McFadden is all speed in his.

Don't buy into the hype. Other than injury concerns, Peterson was the perfect prospect and the best one to come out in years. YEARS. McFadden is an 8.0, a solid first round pick, probably top 10 on potential. Peterson was a #1 without a doubt when ignoring injuries. There is a reason Mike Mayock (best draft guru out there) has McFadden as his #3 tail back and said he wouldn't touch him with a top 20 pick.

He certainly put up big numbers, but look at his playing style, his body, his inability to break tackles or run between the tackles, and you see a guy who will be like Reggie Bush. A threat for the occasional big play, but easily contained by playing ends and LBs out slightly wider.

McFadden is a 10/10 college player, but that doesn't mean he is a 10/10 pro prospect. They are two very different games. His stats are about as good as anyones, but would you pick him over any of these guys coming out of school?

Bo Jackson
OJ Simpson
Barry Sanders
Archie Griffen
Herschel Walker
Reggie Bush
Earl Campbell
Doak Walker
Jim Thorpe
Jim Brown
Tony Dorsett
Ricky Williams

You, Gabe and Chris all said the same thing about Bush. Except Bush was faster, more powerful, more elusive, and a better receiver. Bush has a thicker lower body though, and was a better prospect.

Oddly enough, McFadden kind of reminds me of Steve Slaton. A fast, quick guy who makes people take bad angles. Unfortunately, even though he is a 4.33 guy he isn't going to beat AJ Hawk, Nick Barnett, DJ Williams, etc to the edge THAT often.

Sorry if its hard to read, I jump around a lot when I write.

3irty1
03-20-2008, 08:12 AM
McFadden is a very good prospect but Adrian Peterson is the rare LeBron James type that everyone knew would be great since HS. He was a 5 star recruit and the best RB in his class. McFadden can't make the same claim, and he certainly wasn't well known to the average sports fan.

McFadden is also the best RB in his class, Adrian Peterson was passed over by NFL Scouting departments and fell to 7th. McFadden wasn't known to the average sports fan? Its not a popularity contest and he was only a sophomore last year. He was the best college running back in the country last year too.

He's good and would start for a lot of teams but he isn't in Petersons league in terms of power. We'll see in a few months but I see two different types of players. Rarely do I see McFadden break a tackles by a linebacker or a DL. The reason for this is their offense is play-action and trick plays. He is always running outside it seems like as well. He'll not have nearly as much success as NFL linemen and backers are much faster.

Even if this were true and its all speculation, NFL teams don't do play-action and trick plays? Of course hes running to the outside, its college. Peterson did it too. I don't think you've seen him play... you said before that he doesn't take over a game like Peterson did in college... couldn't be more untrue its the other way around. McFadden WAS that offense. They lined him up everywhere and rode him all season.

He isn't as fast as he looks. In the LSU game, Jones damn near caught him from behind and would have absolutely if he wasn't blocked.

He's absolutely as fast as he looks and many say he's got more speed than AP. He certainly isn't slow. You're judging this because you think he almost got caught from behind on a long touchdown run???

I am not sold on his ability to run in between the tackles. He certainly is fast, but he isn't in the same class of rare talent as AD. He is also a fumbler. He put 15 balls on the ground last year, and he seems to have a knack for doing it at the worst time. He fumbled twice against LSU on crucial plays!!!!! This likely won't stop either, as like Ahman Green, he is known to consider it very uncomfortable to carry the ball in his weaker hand. He always has it in the right.

He fumbled twice against LSU and also rushed for over 200 yards and 3 rushing one passing TD. Not a bad day at the office upsetting the best team in the country. McFadden's fumbling is wildly exaggerated. Many of them were on special teams.

Not only that, but he is also known to be a prick off the field and has some serious questions about how he will handle millions of dollars. He has gotten in trouble in the past and jeopardized his career after injuring his foot kicking someone. Peterson is a quiet, team-first guy.

Peterson is a terrific character no doubt. But serious character questions about McFadden? Even you know that is BS. That incident was only a big deal in the media because hes a big deal.

- The trick-play offense
- How everytime he gets hit he falls down, regardless of if he is delivering the blow or not

Peterson looks like Bo Jackson (would have been the best ever if not for injury - same concern with AD) where as McFadden looks like a poor man's Ted Ginn.

Granted they're not a very good way of judging a player, the difference in style of making plays is very evident. Peterson played in a pro-style offense and as a result was NOT running counters and misdirections play after play. He is breaking tackles in all layers of the defense, and is using much more than just his speed. McFadden is all speed in his.

Also notice:
- How he's faster than everyone else
- Is a versatile weapon who they can line up anywhere
- How decisive he is
- How big he is for a player of this type

Also notice how great of a situation AP has always been in both with a highly talented Oklahoma team and Viking team that is built to run where Chester Taylor also dominates. Darren McFadden plays how a big fish in a small pond should play. He runs through everybody and looks like a one man offense.

Don't buy into the hype. Other than injury concerns, Peterson was the perfect prospect and the best one to come out in years. YEARS. McFadden is an 8.0, a solid first round pick, probably top 10 on potential. Peterson was a #1 without a doubt when ignoring injuries. There is a reason Mike Mayock (best draft guru out there) has McFadden as his #3 tail back and said he wouldn't touch him with a top 20 pick.

I think maybe we have different definitions of what makes a good prospect. If Peterson were the "perfect" prospect that means you couldn't improve anything. Not the case. He's purely a runner and will never be the presence that guys like LT or Westbrook can be. McFadden could be that guy. Like I've said already, I may have already lost this argument because we are judging McFadden against a player who is a rookie phenomenon and the rookie of the year. Peterson was the best prospect in years.... in retrospect. Not to NFL Scouting departments on the day of the draft. I'm guessing that the NFL general managers who are actually the "best" draft gurus are not going to pass on McFadden 20 times, or even 10 times.

He certainly put up big numbers, but look at his playing style, his body, his inability to break tackles or run between the tackles, and you see a guy who will be like Reggie Bush. A threat for the occasional big play, but easily contained by playing ends and LBs out slightly wider.

Agreed he's versatile like Bush. He's also bigger than Bush which should help him translate to the NFL. When teams look at guys like Bush and McFadden they aren't thinking that if we had this guy we could just beat everyone to the edge. They plan to run with him up the middle. This has been a problem with Bush doesn't mean it will be with McFadden.

McFadden is a 10/10 college player, but that doesn't mean he is a 10/10 pro prospect. They are two very different games. His stats are about as good as anyones, but would you pick him over any of these guys coming out of school?

Bo Jackson
OJ Simpson
Barry Sanders
Archie Griffen
Herschel Walker
Reggie Bush
Earl Campbell
Doak Walker
Jim Thorpe
Jim Brown
Tony Dorsett
Ricky Williams

You, Gabe and Chris all said the same thing about Bush. Except Bush was faster, more powerful, more elusive, and a better receiver. Bush has a thicker lower body though, and was a better prospect.

Bush was a better prospect than either of these guys. Bush was actually "The best one to come out in years." He was the second overall pick in one of the most talent packed drafts in memory. Knowing what I know now, I'd take HOF running backs over McFadden yes. I'd take most of the people on that list over Peterson too.

Oddly enough, McFadden kind of reminds me of Steve Slaton. A fast, quick guy who makes people take bad angles. Unfortunately, even though he is a 4.33 guy he isn't going to beat AJ Hawk, Nick Barnett, DJ Williams, etc to the edge THAT often.

Agreed, He reminds me of Steve Slaton. Only Slaton is too small to be the prospect McFadden is. Like I said before, nobody in the NFL plans on running the option with McFadden in the NFL. This doesn't hurt him as a prospect at all.

mission
03-20-2008, 08:14 AM
McFadden reminds you of Slaton?

Have you SEEN McFadden ... he's a man beast... he's built almost identical to AP. those guys are built like linebackers with 4.38 speed... Slaton is a tiny scat back ...

Just stop now man ... maybe you had some points, I dunno but anything I might have believed is backed up by nothing close to truth.

AP is ridiculous, im not even going to enter that argument but to compare the Big-12 to the SEC is not even close to stupid. I dont even know the right word to use!!

Auburn ?? One of the best "focus on shutting down one thing" defenses in the LAND... man ... im still laughing.

The Leaper
03-20-2008, 09:39 AM
McFadden IMO is just as good a prospect as Peterson...Peterson has better running skills IMO, but McFadden is more well rounded in other areas like some have already mentioned.

ND72
03-20-2008, 09:51 AM

Problem is he has so many carries on his body already.

Same was said about Adrian Peterson

Partial
03-20-2008, 11:13 AM
McFadden reminds you of Slaton?

Have you SEEN McFadden ... he's a man beast... he's built almost identical to AP. those guys are built like linebackers with 4.38 speed... Slaton is a tiny scat back ...

Just stop now man ... maybe you had some points, I dunno but anything I might have believed is backed up by nothing close to truth.

AP is ridiculous, im not even going to enter that argument but to compare the Big-12 to the SEC is not even close to stupid. I dont even know the right word to use!!

Auburn ?? One of the best "focus on shutting down one thing" defenses in the LAND... man ... im still laughing.

Running style reminds me of Slaton. Watch the two.

He's not a man beast. He's rail thin below the waist.

mission
03-20-2008, 11:20 AM
I dunno...

call me crazy (go ahead!), but the kid reminds me of Dickerson ...

Tebow is the greatest tho...

Why?

http://www.thermocaster.com/wp/wp-content/uploads/2007/10/tebow.jpg

She could be hotter but it's hard to notice her face ...

Partial
03-20-2008, 11:32 AM
McFadden is also the best RB in his class, Adrian Peterson was passed over by NFL Scouting departments and fell to 7th. McFadden wasn't known to the average sports fan? Its not a popularity contest and he was only a sophomore last year. He was the best college running back in the country last year too.

So was Reggie Bush. So was Kijana Carter. That means nothing. According to some of the best draft analysts out there, they don't think he is. I take their word more than yours. No one is doubting that he is a spectacular athlete. As Bush proved, that doesn't necessarily translate to being a great football player.

Even if this were true and its all speculation, NFL teams don't do play-action and trick plays? Of course hes running to the outside, its college. Peterson did it too. I don't think you've seen him play... you said before that he doesn't take over a game like Peterson did in college... couldn't be more untrue its the other way around. McFadden WAS that offense. They lined him up everywhere and rode him all season.

You can do that when you have another back as good as Felix Jones in the backfield. While I am not high on him either, many scouts think he was the better of the two backs. McFadden won't have the same success running to the edge in the NFL because in college a guy like Nick Barnett and AJ Hawk are super fast studs. In the NFL, just about every team has a guy or two with equivalent speed.

If you notice, his runs are either nothing or big plays. That doesn't translate well to the NFL at all. He falls when getting hit. Peterson barrels over people.

He's absolutely as fast as he looks and many say he's got more speed than AP. He certainly isn't slow. You're judging this because you think he almost got caught from behind on a long touchdown run???

Fine. He's really fast. Reggie Bush was really fast too. That doesn't mean you can run between the tackles!!!! McFadden thighs make Bush look big. That says something right there.

He fumbled twice against LSU and also rushed for over 200 yards and 3 rushing one passing TD. Not a bad day at the office upsetting the best team in the country. McFadden's fumbling is wildly exaggerated. Many of them were on special teams.

Doesn't matter. You don't spend a top 5 pick on a special team player. You can have a great statistical day when they run trick play after trick play to you, but it doesn't mean shit when you fumble the game away at the key time. It shows that he cannot handle the pressure and is not michael jordan.

Peterson is a terrific character no doubt. But serious character questions about McFadden? Even you know that is BS. That incident was only a big deal in the media because hes a big deal.

I've never met him nor have you so I have no idea. I can only tell it like I hear it. There are certainly character questions surrounding his maturity. He risked a career to beat someone up. Think about that one.

- The trick-play offense

Also notice:
- How he's faster than everyone else
- Is a versatile weapon who they can line up anywhere
- How decisive he is
- How big he is for a player of this type

Also notice how great of a situation AP has always been in both with a highly talented Oklahoma team and Viking team that is built to run where Chester Taylor also dominates. Darren McFadden plays how a big fish in a small pond should play. He runs through everybody and looks like a one man offense.

He isn't big for what they do!!!!! He is rail thin!!! He looks like a thinner Ted Ginn below the waist. Same running style as well. Not very condusive to running up the middle.

In the NFL, he isn't going to be faster than everyone. The players are better, faster, smarter and hit harder.

What do you mean how versatile he is? He is a good return man because he is faster than everyone else around him in college. He has a lot of success with the wildcat because they need to account for him at QB and throwing, him at QB and running, a pitch or handoff to Jones, etc. This is not an offense you'll see in the NFL. Simply won't happen.

I think maybe we have different definitions of what makes a good prospect. If Peterson were the "perfect" prospect that means you couldn't improve anything. Not the case. He's purely a runner and will never be the presence that guys like LT or Westbrook can be. McFadden could be that guy. Like I've said already, I may have already lost this argument because we are judging McFadden against a player who is a rookie phenomenon and the rookie of the year. Peterson was the best prospect in years.... in retrospect. Not to NFL Scouting departments on the day of the draft. I'm guessing that the NFL general managers who are actually the "best" draft gurus are not going to pass on McFadden 20 times, or even 10 times.

I disagree. One of the biggest strengths of Peterson is the screen pass. Also, he had a good deal of success returning kicks this year. Teams ahead of the Vikes in the draft didn't have needs at RB. I think you'll see McFadden go at about the same spot this year +- 1.

Agreed he's versatile like Bush. He's also bigger than Bush which should help him translate to the NFL. When teams look at guys like Bush and McFadden they aren't thinking that if we had this guy we could just beat everyone to the edge. They plan to run with him up the middle. This has been a problem with Bush doesn't mean it will be with McFadden.

HE's NOT BIGGER THAN BUSH!!! He is thinner by a lot. He is 2 inches taller and the same weight!!! Time will tell if they have success up the gut. I doubt it. He's too small and can't toute the rock 25 times a game. Especially with his fumbling issues I just don't see it happening.

Bush was a better prospect than either of these guys. Bush was actually "The best one to come out in years." He was the second overall pick in one of the most talent packed drafts in memory. Knowing what I know now, I'd take HOF running backs over McFadden yes. I'd take most of the people on that list over Peterson too.

The point of the list was McFadden had better numbers in college.

Agreed, He reminds me of Steve Slaton. Only Slaton is too small to be the prospect McFadden is. Like I said before, nobody in the NFL plans on running the option with McFadden in the NFL. This doesn't hurt him as a prospect at all.

I think you're misunderstanding me. McFadden is a heck of an athlete but he is too small to be an elite running back. He doesn't have a true position but I don't think he is the receiver that Bush is. Honestly, I think he'll have a hard time being used for a year or two. Freakish athlete. Too thin to be a starting RB. If I was in need of a running back, I don't think I'd take him.

If I were a team like NE that is fairly deep and complete, I would definitely jump on the opportunity to get a playmaker like him. I'd use him on screens and end-arounds.

Partial
03-20-2008, 11:34 AM
Yuck, he can do way better than that. Their are some Hotties down here and he is worshipped. Why would he go for the bimbo with the fake tits and torn up cooter? I would go for the C cups and the just broken in cooch.

mission
03-20-2008, 11:37 AM
Yuck, he can do way better than that. Their are some Hotties down here and he is worshipped. Why would he go for the bimbo with the fake tits and torn up cooter? I would go for the C cups and the just broken in cooch.

that's what im sayin... plus he's a mormon, can't he just have like six of them? maybe keep the fake tittie one for the coke parties or something i dunno. i guess we'd need scott's feedback on this.

gainesville fl... ? it's like... hottie capital.

Partial
03-20-2008, 11:41 AM

that's what im sayin... plus he's a mormon, can't he just have like six of them? maybe keep the fake tittie one for the coke parties or something i dunno. i guess we'd need scott's feedback on this.

Southern Girls are hot and well endowed in all the right places. I am sure he is getting some fresh poon nightly. He's is WORSHIPPED around here.

Only city I've ever been where everywhere you go its their sports team. Go in Wal-Mart and they show the National Championship games on all their TVs on loop. Also, they put one right at the entrance. Go to a restaurant, they have Gators stuff on all the walls. It's insane because it is literally everywhere. I am not doing it justice.

Tyrone Bigguns
03-20-2008, 11:44 AM
there is no point in arguing with partial about Mcfadden. NO matter how much facts you throw at him, he just won't face them.

I systematically answered his bs, and proved where he was wrong..yet, he can't admit it.

Tyrone Bigguns
03-20-2008, 11:47 AM

That pic is as old as the internet. It isn't his girlfriend. Just a random chick.

http://barstoolsports.com/randomthoughts/2008/01/23/where_are_they_now_catching/

Fritz
03-20-2008, 11:48 AM

Noel Devine is not even comparable. He is short, but very thick thighs like MJD and has what scouts are saying is the best balance for a running back ever.

But, it's going to bring his stock down that he is crazy short. I saw this pic today and figured i'd post it. The guy he is next to is 6'8", but still.

Not only that, but are you trying to say he's not more powerful than Slaton? Slaton is a finesse guy through and through. Devine is like Bush in running style but has the power of an MJD to run through people. He's a freak. WAY more powerful than Slaton, of course you're an idiot who is basing it strictly off their height and weight versus actual games.

http://www.wvmountaineersports.com/myimages/Devine.jpg

The backs of that dude's thighs look like ass cheeks!

Partial
03-20-2008, 11:53 AM
there is no point in arguing with partial about Mcfadden. NO matter how much facts you throw at him, he just won't face them.

I systematically answered his bs, and proved where he was wrong..yet, he can't admit it.

Ha. Reread this thread. I am fairly certain I have proved you wrong on just about everything.

Stats don't tell the whole tale.

Just like the iPhone, just like everything else. Better fire an insult out quick before your massive ego takes a hit!!!

HarveyWallbangers
03-20-2008, 12:07 PM
That chick that Tebow is with is hot. Not his GF though.

Outside of injury concerns, Peterson is an all-time great talent. I don't rate McFadden anywhere near his level. Peterson has size, speed, agility. He's a power runner and a fast/elusive runner. McFadden can not run between the tackles like Peterson does. I think McFadden will be closer to Reggie Bush than Peterson.

I don't know how anybody can watch Adrian Peterson and not realize the kid is S-P-E-C-I-A-L.

Guiness
03-20-2008, 12:11 PM
Well, that was only a four minute video of some of McFadden highlights...and all it's showing is his ability to make people miss, and his open field speed. He was hardly touched in any of those carries, except for a couple of plays showing him making some contact at the end of a play before going out of bounds.

SkinBasket
03-20-2008, 12:23 PM
After reading this fucking thing the only pre-emptive strike I feel is the one on my sensibility.

Partial advising people on the virtues of different regional "cooch" is only marginally less mind numbing than his take on several college football players who he's watched 2 minute youTube clips of.

I think I'll pre-emptively strike the Grey Goose now in an effort to pre-emptively forget everything I've just read.

GoPackGo
03-20-2008, 12:32 PM
After reading this fucking thing the only pre-emptive strike I feel is the one on my sensibility.

Partial advising people on the virtues of different regional "cooch" is only marginally less mind numbing than his take on several college football players who he's watched 2 minute youTube clips of.

I think I'll pre-emptively strike the Grey Goose now in an effort to pre-emptively forget everything I've just read.

I'll join you on that.

Partial
03-20-2008, 12:34 PM

Do I have a server loaded with college film online somewhere that I can link people to?

Christ, use your head you jag off.

Fritz
03-20-2008, 12:40 PM

I'll join you on that.

Pour me one, too, cuz I thought "cooch" was Steve Marriucci's sister.

Partial
03-20-2008, 12:42 PM
Well, that was only a four minute video of some of McFadden highlights...and all it's showing is his ability to make people miss, and his open field speed. He was hardly touched in any of those carries, except for a couple of plays showing him making some contact at the end of a play before going out of bounds.

The thing to watch is how every run is to the outside with a guard pulling where no one is close to touching him. They run a misdirection run with Jones going one way taking a backer or two than McFadden going the other way.

He isn't touched, and when he goes down easy and is likely to couch the ball up!!

Partial
03-20-2008, 12:43 PM
That chick that Tebow is with is hot. Not his GF though.

Outside of injury concerns, Peterson is an all-time great talent. I don't rate McFadden anywhere near his level. Peterson has size, speed, agility. He's a power runner and a fast/elusive runner. McFadden can not run between the tackles like Peterson does. I think McFadden will be closer to Reggie Bush than Peterson.

I don't know how anybody can watch Adrian Peterson and not realize the kid is S-P-E-C-I-A-L.

Agreed. I don't think he can run between the tackles very well at all. Is it just me or does he look remarkably similar to Ted Ginn except playing a different position??

SkinBasket
03-20-2008, 12:44 PM
I didn't know you had a server full of college film. That's amazing. Now I know where you get all your well informed opinions about players from. Can you give me the link? Do you need a password?

3irty1
03-20-2008, 01:17 PM
What I meant by how versatile he is is how he's got great hands, can run routes like a WR, and can even throw the ball. He is a coaches dream.

Too small? He's both taller and heavier than Reggie Bush who is both taller and heavier than Steve Slaton. These are facts. McFadden is also a much better receiver than AP was. Runs for nothing or big plays? That's not true at all but the big runs do help out your average as AP showed last year in the Pros. And for a "Rail Thin" running back he sure didn't seem as fragile as AP either.

You are trying to take everything you can away from an amazing athlete and physical specimen who is the clear cut best RB in the country. There is no reason to believe that McFadden will struggle in the NFL. If anything he's a better prospect because of the added dimensions to his game.

Questions:

How do you call Reggie Bush a great athlete but a poor football player?

How do you reference the "best draft guru" who says they wouldn't use a top 20 on McFadden but estimate he'll be drafted in roughly the same place as Peterson was?

Who told you that McFadden weighs only 200lbs?

Why does Felix Jones take away from McFadden but Taylor doesn't take away from AP?

Do you recall AP "barreling" through hash to hash sized holes last year?

You you in love with AP or something? And I don't mean "are you a fan?", I mean do you want to hold hands and have ketchup fights with him.

Partial
03-20-2008, 02:01 PM
What I meant by how versatile he is is how he's got great hands, can run routes like a WR, and can even throw the ball. He is a coaches dream.

I haven't seen this. Bush did this much more frequently in college as was better at it. He's isn't great at it in the pros, so using logical reasoning I don't see McFadden being great at it either.

Too small? He's both taller and heavier than Reggie Bush who is both taller and heavier than Steve Slaton. These are facts. McFadden is also a much better receiver than AP was. Runs for nothing or big plays? That's not true at all but the big runs do help out your average as AP showed last year in the Pros. And for a "Rail Thin" running back he sure didn't seem as fragile as AP either.

Too thin. He's not as compact as Bush. I like Jon Stewart because he has 8% body fat and is 235. He's built like a house!! Bush and Slaton are too thin to be every down backs. He didn't seem as fragile because he never ran between the tackles, exactly what I have been trying to explain to you this whole time!!!

You are trying to take everything you can away from an amazing athlete and physical specimen who is the clear cut best RB in the country. There is no reason to believe that McFadden will struggle in the NFL. If anything he's a better prospect because of the added dimensions to his game.

No, I don't care about him at all. He's a good college player. Very dominant, but Bush's dominance didn't translate to the Pros, so why would McFaddens when Bush was a better college player and prospect?!?

Questions:

How do you call Reggie Bush a great athlete but a poor football player?

The same way I can call Rodger Federer an amazing athlete who wouldn't be a great pro football player. There is more to the NFL game than speed. You need to have size and power, and imo McFadden is lacking on both of those.

How do you reference the "best draft guru" who says they wouldn't use a top 20 on McFadden but estimate he'll be drafted in roughly the same place as Peterson was?

Because teams are not all smart. Mayock said he wouldn't touch him in the top 20. That doesn't mean a crazy mofo like Al Davis won't.

Who told you that McFadden weighs only 200lbs?

He weighed in at 210, 6'1.5" at the combine. Bush is 6" 210 these days.

Why does Felix Jones take away from McFadden but Taylor doesn't take away from AP?

How often are both Peterson and Taylor on the field at the same time?!? Are they lining Peterson up at QB and having him run?? Please...

Remember, Mike Vick was an extremely fast, versatile Athlete who could line up everywhere too. He wasn't great.

Do you recall AP "barreling" through hash to hash sized holes last year?

No question, but you can't deny he dropped his shoulders and created a ton of yards after contact.

You you in love with AP or something? And I don't mean "are you a fan?", I mean do you want to hold hands and have ketchup fights with him.

Not at all. I couldn't care less about him. But I know for a fact that he is a much better player than McFadden and if given the choice between the two, I choose Peterson every single time.

Partial
03-20-2008, 02:05 PM
As for McFadden's success as a receiver, here is a list of negatives from a scout.

Has some off-the-field and character questions...Legs and lower body are a little thin....Might run too high and open himself up to big hits...Could still improve as a blocker...Does not have a ton of experience as a receiver...Did not really play in a conventional offense in college and shared the workload...Ball security is an issue.

Seems to me he's not as versatile as you think. Seem's like I hit the nail on the head.

3irty1
03-20-2008, 02:19 PM
As for McFadden's success as a receiver, here is a list of negatives from a scout.

Has some off-the-field and character questions...Legs and lower body are a little thin....Might run too high and open himself up to big hits...Could still improve as a blocker...Does not have a ton of experience as a receiver...Did not really play in a conventional offense in college and shared the workload...Ball security is an issue.

Seems to me he's not as versatile as you think. Seem's like I hit the nail on the head.

Accept here is the rest of that report. Done by an analyst not a pro scout:

Strengths:
An outstanding natural athlete...Has very good size...Excellent timed speed with a burst...Has great vision and instincts...Big play threat who can take it the distance at any time..Elusive with nice feet..Quick and agile...Real strong...Tough and loves contact...Runs hard and does not go down easy...Has decent hands and can be a weapon in the passing game..Plays with a nasty demeanor..Extremely productive.

Weaknesses:

Notes:
Burst onto the scene as a true freshman...The Heisman Trophy runner-up as both a sophomore and a junior...In the summer of '06 he dislocated his toe (which later required surgery) while trying to kick someone during a fight outside a night club at 4am...In January of 2008 was handcuffed during a disturbance outside of a bar shortly after midnight because according to the police report he was agitated and provoking aggressive behavior inciting the incident....Often worked as a shotgun quarterback in the Razorbacks "Wildcat" package and showed the ability to throw the ball...Pure football player with all the physical tools who is as good or perhaps an even better prospect than Adrian Peterson was coming out...A rare talent who should rank amongst the top running backs in the NFL very early in his pro career.

3irty1
03-20-2008, 02:19 PM
Nice post.

Partial
03-20-2008, 02:24 PM
And thats why not all scouts are created equal. His weaknesses are obvious. He has a lot of the P word. We'll see what comes to be of him. I don't think he's going to be a great player.

3irty1
03-20-2008, 02:28 PM
Well that's certainly a different story. And if he goes to the Pats then I hope you're right.

Partial
03-20-2008, 02:37 PM
Well that's certainly a different story. And if he goes to the Pats then I hope you're right.

That's certainly a different story? All along I said I don't think he's going to be a great player.

3irty1
03-20-2008, 02:40 PM
All I was saying is that he's a better prospect than AP was.

Partial
03-20-2008, 02:44 PM

He's not. Not even close. He MIGHT be a better all-around athlete. Athlete != football player. He certainly won't do anything close to AD his first year.

You'll see in a few months.

3irty1
03-20-2008, 02:46 PM

He's not. Not even close. He MIGHT be a better all-around athlete. Athlete != football player. He certainly won't do anything close to AD his first year.

Your scout thinks its close and even says McFadden could be better. Because he is.

Partial
03-20-2008, 02:51 PM

Your scout thinks its close and even says McFadden could be better. Because he is.

No, A Scout thinks that. Mike Mayock doesn't think he is as good as Mendenhall or Stewart. We'll see. IMO, he and Mendenhall are fairly similiar except Mendenhall is a better receiver and Stewart is just a beast.

3irty1
03-20-2008, 02:58 PM
uint8_t ThisConversationIsAWasteOfTime( void)
{
McFadden = AP++;

while(Partial != rational)
3irty1 = giving_up

return to_work;
}

Zool
03-20-2008, 03:06 PM
Got a windows java script error 31. Something about a specific com not being registered.

Partial
03-20-2008, 03:10 PM
That code is as bad as your ability to judge football players!!! ZING!! :wink: :P

3irty1
03-20-2008, 03:15 PM
:)

I only see one missing semi-colon.

Pretty good for a guy like me!

SkinBasket
03-20-2008, 03:16 PM
That code is as bad as your ability to judge football players!!! ZING!! :wink: :P

That's like your grandmom telling you you're a poor fuck. Ouch.