PDA

View Full Version : Veterans Day / Remembrance Day

Kiwon
11-10-2007, 08:48 AM
A special thanks to all the men and women currently serving in the U.S. military and to their families, along with appreciation to everyone who has worn our country's uniform in the past. :flag:

Freedom isn't free. Thank you for your service.

packinpatland
11-10-2007, 01:29 PM
Kiwon, you are so right. Good post. :flag:

I wish it was NOT a day off for school......why not plan an entire day around vetrans? From art to math, pe to social studies, center the curriculum this day to focus on some aspect of remembering veterans. Kids today simply see it as a day off............................my two cents.

BallHawk
11-10-2007, 01:51 PM

I wish it was NOT a day off for school......why not plan an entire day around vetrans? From art to math, pe to social studies, center the curriculum this day to focus on some aspect of remembering veterans. Kids today simply see it as a day off............................my two cents.

Do the kids up in the NE have school off for it? Since it's on a Sunday this year we still have school on Monday.

Surprisingly, my school isn't holding any special events for the holiday. Last year, when I was in middle school, we had a few veterans, including one who fought in the Northern African Campaign. Really interesting to sit down and talk with them.

Thanks for all you've done! :flag: :flag:

digitaldean
11-10-2007, 01:53 PM

My old high school is having a Veterans Day celebration on Monday. They are having a breakfast put on for vets and a remembrance ceremony.

We need to remember past AND present vets to make sure they get the medical help and recognition they deserve.

packinpatland
11-10-2007, 02:42 PM
Kids here are having the day off on Monday.
In the paper today there were several photos of schools around the area that had veterans come visit on Fri.

Joemailman
11-10-2007, 04:59 PM
Thought it might be a good time to mention that the USO has a number of programs going on to help veterans serving overseas, including my favorite, Operation Phone Home, which provides prepaid phone cards to veterans serving overseas. https://www.uso.org/donate/

packinpatland
11-10-2007, 06:05 PM
Thanks for sharing that Joe, am looking into it.

MadtownPacker
11-11-2007, 10:34 AM
Thanks to all who fought and died protecting our right to live freely in our great nation. I agree with the sentiment that much more should be done to help them for all they have done.

RashanGary
11-11-2007, 11:08 AM
I don't know the exact numbers, but there are something like 5% of people in our country who are veterans and 10% of the homeless are veterans.

Basically, there are a lot more veterans that are homeless than other people.

I'd say something is wrong when we send these guys off to kill and become emotionally unstable and then abandon them to homelessness while the rich men making the decisions get richer and more powerfull.

The dumb and the poor will always be taken advantage of. That is the way life works. That said, Pres Bush claims to be a great man of morals, maybe he should step up to the plate and help these messed up veterans.

MJZiggy
11-11-2007, 11:13 AM
I think that at least part of that phenomenon can be accounted for by soldiers who play around with drugs while overseas or when they come back can't deal with life and begin to self-medicate leading to alcohol and other addictions. They need to be cared for better, not just physically, but emotionally as well. And if you're wounded in military service badly enough to be disabled, it should be the government's responsibility to take care of you to the tune of the median income from the town you were living in when you enlisted.

BEARMAN
11-11-2007, 09:31 PM
I don't know the exact numbers, but there are something like 5% of people in our country who are veterans and 10% of the homeless are veterans.

I'd say something is wrong when we send these guys off to kill and become emotionally unstable and then abandon them to homelessness while the rich men making the decisions get richer and more powerfull.

The dumb and the poor will always be taken advantage of. That is the way life works. That said, Pres Bush claims to be a great man of morals, maybe he should step up to the plate and help these messed up veterans.

First, I want to thank you all for the kind words, I am a Vet. Second, I want to share with you a letter sent to me awhile back, ...

All Vets, all Guardsmen, all whom wore a uniform of the United States of America, wrote a blank check to the people of America, for the amount of ... any amount up to and including my life.

Is taking care of their medical needs too much to ask for in return ?
I think not, I think it is our Duty to insure thease people are taken care of the rest of their lives. It is discracful that so many are homeless, destitute and have no where to turn. In America, the greatest nation on the face of this planet ? God Bless America, ... God help us all.....

digitaldean
11-11-2007, 10:14 PM

First, I want to thank you all for the kind words, I am a Vet. Second, I want to share with you a letter sent to me awhile back, ...

All Vets, all Guardsmen, all whom wore a uniform of the United States of America, wrote a blank check to the people of America, for the amount of ... any amount up to and including my life.

Is taking care of their medical needs too much to ask for in return ?
I think not, I think it is our Duty to insure thease people are taken care of the rest of their lives. It is discracful that so many are homeless, destitute and have no where to turn. In America, the greatest nation on the face of this planet ? God Bless America, ... God help us all.....

Well said Bearman. Instead of the pay raises, pork earmarks and gov't waste we have in DC, our leaders in Congress and the White House need to do more than pay lip service when taking care of our vets.

Tyrone Bigguns
11-13-2007, 01:30 PM
I think that at least part of that phenomenon can be accounted for by soldiers who play around with drugs while overseas or when they come back can't deal with life and begin to self-medicate leading to alcohol and other addictions. They need to be cared for better, not just physically, but emotionally as well. And if you're wounded in military service badly enough to be disabled, it should be the government's responsibility to take care of you to the tune of the median income from the town you were living in when you enlisted.

By the end of Vietnam, 1/4 of returning soldiers were heroin addicts.