PDA

View Full Version : Refs Told to Eject Players for Illegal Hits

BallHawk
11-10-2007, 02:23 PM
NEW YORK -- The NFL has told its officiating crews to start ejecting players for flagrant helmet-to-helmet hits.

The new policy was outlined Saturday in a memo from supervisor of officials Mike Pereira, which was obtained by The Associated Press. It followed two fines last weekend for what the officiating department had determined were hits against players in defenseless positions.

One fine was against Washington Redskins safety LaRon Landry, who will forfeit a game check of $16,764 for a helmet-to-helmet hit on New York Jets quarterback Kellen Clemens. The other was against Philadelphia defensive tackle LaJuan Ramsey, who was fined his game check of $21,176 for spearing Dallas' Julius Jones.

Two weeks ago, San Diego cornerback Drayton Florence was fined $15,000 for a helmet-to-helmet hit that gave Houston quarterback Matt Schaub a concussion.

"Officials will be reminded this week to pay strict attention to these rules and disqualify the fouling player if the action is judged to be flagrant," Pereira wrote in the memo sent to the 32 NFL teams. "Actions that involve flagrant helmet to helmet contact are the likely acts that will include disqualification. Our commissioner and this office remain very focused on the safety of our players."

In the memo fining Landry and Ramsey, NFL director of football operations Gene Washington said emphasis would be on hits against players in defenseless positions.

Landry previously was fined $7,500 for two unnecessary roughness violations on Oct. 21 against Arizona. Ramsey was fined $5,000 on Oct. 14 for roughing the passer against the Jets.

After Florence was fined, the Texans complained that the punishment wasn't severe enough.

"We are disappointed in the sense that we have lost our starting quarterback for at least one game after the player took the crown of his helmet and delivered an illegal blow to Matt's jaw and the fine levied is only a small fraction of the player's weekly pay," general manager Rick Smith said.

"Is that equitable? The punishment doesn't appear to fit the crime when all factors are considered."

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3103608

digitaldean
11-10-2007, 02:36 PM
NEW YORK -- The NFL has told its officiating crews to start ejecting players for flagrant helmet-to-helmet hits.

The new policy was outlined Saturday in a memo from supervisor of officials Mike Pereira, which was obtained by The Associated Press. It followed two fines last weekend for what the officiating department had determined were hits against players in defenseless positions.

One fine was against Washington Redskins safety LaRon Landry, who will forfeit a game check of $16,764 for a helmet-to-helmet hit on New York Jets quarterback Kellen Clemens. The other was against Philadelphia defensive tackle LaJuan Ramsey, who was fined his game check of $21,176 for spearing Dallas' Julius Jones.

Two weeks ago, San Diego cornerback Drayton Florence was fined $15,000 for a helmet-to-helmet hit that gave Houston quarterback Matt Schaub a concussion.

"Officials will be reminded this week to pay strict attention to these rules and disqualify the fouling player if the action is judged to be flagrant," Pereira wrote in the memo sent to the 32 NFL teams. "Actions that involve flagrant helmet to helmet contact are the likely acts that will include disqualification. Our commissioner and this office remain very focused on the safety of our players."

In the memo fining Landry and Ramsey, NFL director of football operations Gene Washington said emphasis would be on hits against players in defenseless positions.

Landry previously was fined $7,500 for two unnecessary roughness violations on Oct. 21 against Arizona. Ramsey was fined $5,000 on Oct. 14 for roughing the passer against the Jets.

After Florence was fined, the Texans complained that the punishment wasn't severe enough.

"We are disappointed in the sense that we have lost our starting quarterback for at least one game after the player took the crown of his helmet and delivered an illegal blow to Matt's jaw and the fine levied is only a small fraction of the player's weekly pay," general manager Rick Smith said.

"Is that equitable? The punishment doesn't appear to fit the crime when all factors are considered."

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3103608

The spearing hit on Jones was DEFINITELY an ejection offense. Jones was held by one player and then speared by another Eagles defender.

Only hope is that the refs don't use the ticky tack "hits" as ejectable calls.

I understand why the NFL is doing this. They should have levied game suspensions AND fine of the previous game's check as well. Then it might have an impact.

Oscar
11-10-2007, 02:40 PM
A cheap shot is a cheap shot.. I know I'm gonna be out of line here.. But, All the talk about how the Pats are running up the score and someone is gonna lay one on one of there players......I can't help but think the league might be thinking the same thing. I know teams could still put a third string guy in to do the dirty work..Just made me think is all.

Tarlam!
11-10-2007, 02:52 PM
A cheap shot is a cheap shot.. I know I'm gonna be out of line here.. But, All the talk about how the Pats are running up the score and someone is gonna lay one on one of there players......I can't help but think the league might be thinking the same thing. I know teams could still put a third string guy in to do the dirty work..Just made me think is all.

I never even thought of the connection you made. Wow, great detective work, "Watson". Impressive. I think you've cracked the case!

Well done, Bro! Hope all is well.

digitaldean
11-10-2007, 02:53 PM

If Belijerk plays Brady when they're up by 21+ points, he's looking for trouble. Some teams (especially the Jets) would give a 3rd stringer a chance to knock him out just for spite.

This type of enforcement, however, should have been started from game 1.

Oscar
11-10-2007, 02:59 PM
My point is that it seems odd that now of all times this is an issue...I say this could be a game changing kinda rule.. If they get the call wrong that is...Things happen pretty fast..Can they review it??

digitaldean
11-10-2007, 03:05 PM
My point is that it seems odd that now of all times this is an issue...I say this could be a game changing kinda rule.. If they get the call wrong that is...Things happen pretty fast..Can they review it??

Agree timing seems odd....

I don't think it's a reviewable call though. I think the only time they'll look at it is after the fact on NFLN. Then they'll have their VP of officiating come out and say "they never should have called that" and nothing gets rectified.

Oscar
11-10-2007, 03:09 PM
I think this is too much power (if thats the right way to state this) for the Ref's. They see it from the wrong angle and some teams best pass rusher is out of the game....

MJZiggy
11-10-2007, 03:11 PM
I don't know. Peiera said that it had to be a flagrant hit on a defenseless player. Those are pretty hard to miss.

]{ilr]3
11-10-2007, 05:31 PM
Anyone hear if Hines Ward was fined for that spear to the head he laid in on Ed Reed on Monday night? :shock:

Drilled him right in the head with his helmet on purpose blocking when the ball was 20 yards away. Not really far enough to say it was away from the play, but still.

Ward was just laughing his ass off like he usually does while they helped Reed off the field.

MadtownPacker
11-11-2007, 11:13 AM
Whats up Jeffro!! Long time no post.
I agree, this shit has Spygate written all over it.

The Shadow
11-11-2007, 11:17 AM
Let's hope those borderline hits don't result in premature ejectulation.

the_idle_threat
11-11-2007, 04:45 PM
:rs: