PDA

View Full Version : Packers president search and Harlan

Rastak
11-11-2007, 06:43 AM
Interesting Silverstein article

http://www.jsonline.com/story/index.aspx?id=684787

I thought Harlan had supreme power.....anyway, here is pft.com's take. Not sure it's really causing any problems but Silverstein seems to think there's a fair amount of angst.

PACKERS PRESIDENT SEARCH CAUSING PROBLEMS

As the Green Bay Packers continue to search for a replacement for team president Bob Harlan, Tom Silverstein the Milwaukee Journal-Sentinel reports that there are concerns regarding the process.

The primary fear is that Harlan apparently is being frozen out of the process as it approaches its conclusion. Leading the way is the team's board of directors and its seven-member executive committee. Most significantly, the eleven-person search committee formed for the purposes of finding Harlan's successor has opted to no longer include the outgoing Harlan in its meetings.

Apparently, the worry is that the board of directors and the executive committee are preparing to manage the publicly-held corporation that runs a football team like a publicly-held corporation that makes soap or cars or tube socks.

Silverstein writes that, as a result of Harlan's exclusion from the search process, folks throughout the football operation are worried that the board will try to expand its influence, and that the new president will be someone with little or no football experience. "That scares people in the football operation because that person will be responsible for determining the fate of the general manager and head coach," Silverstein writes.

But so what? Every time a pro football team is up for sale there's a chance that the new owner will have little or no football experience. And the new owner will be responsible for determining the fate of the G.M., the head coach, and every other employee in the building. The fact that the Packers don't have a single owner doesn't mean that they shouldn't have a single person who holds that power, regardless of whether the person has prior football experience.

We'd all love to do our work without any oversight or accountability. The fact that the Packers don't have a tangible owner doesn't mean that G.M. Ted Thompson or anyone else in the front office should be exempt from having someone in position to peer over their shoulders. And while Thompson might prefer to be able to use Harlan as a conduit for steering the selection process toward someone with whom Thompson would be comfortable (such as Titans G.M. Mike Reinfeldt), the best interests of the franchise are served by avoiding a too-cozy relationship between president and General Manager.

And Thompson's inability to influence the outcome through Harlan be the root of Silverstein's story. Reading between the lines, it strikes us as an effort by Thompson and company to get the football-crazed public (and the team's shareholders) motivated to complain to the board members about ignoring Harlan and potentially turning the team into another corporate enterprise.

The only danger is that the folks on the board of directors are likely smart enough to see through what's going on, and it might prompt them to try even harder to ensure that the new president will have true independence.

ND72
11-11-2007, 09:21 AM
I heard some rumors of people that Harlan would be interested in making the President, one of them being Mike Holmgren...?? Also heard Andrew Brandt, and a couple others I'd never heard of before.

Rastak
11-11-2007, 09:57 AM
I heard some rumors of people that Harlan would be interested in making the President, one of them being Mike Holmgren...?? Also heard Andrew Brandt, and a couple others I'd never heard of before.

That was a very interesting article. Weird that someone would be worried that the board of directors of a corporation has too much power.

RashanGary
11-11-2007, 10:07 AM
The only hope I have in the next president and that he hires a football guy to make football decisions (GM) and then stays out of the way.

In this case, a guy that will stay out of Thompsons way.

b bulldog
11-11-2007, 10:14 AM
Not to sound dumb or anything but it better be a guy who DOES KNOW PRO SPORTS AND HOW THE RELATIONSHIP BETWEEN THE PACKERS AND IT'S FANS IS SO UNIQUE. The person will also have to be comfortable dealing with the executive committee.

RashanGary
11-11-2007, 10:22 AM
Not to sound dumb or anything but it better be a guy who DOES KNOW PRO SPORTS AND HOW THE RELATIONSHIP BETWEEN THE PACKERS AND IT'S FANS IS SO UNIQUE. The person will also have to be comfortable dealing with the executive committee.

Good points too. I just think if the Packers win, all will be good. The GM is the guy who makes decisions related to winning. I really hope the next guy doesn't try to tell Thompson or whoever the GM is what to do.

I kind of laughed at one artical because Harlan apparently told Ted Thompson that he's allowed to spend more money :) :) Harlan tries to stay out of it, but it was starting to look like Ted had no clue what he was doing. IT was just funny because you could tell he didn't want to say anything, and when he did he still wasn't in the way at all. BH is a great leader.

Turns out the doubt has more to do with our ignorance than Ted's, so all is good in Packerland but it was getting ugly for a while there. For anyone who says Ted Thompson is affraid to take risks, they obviously missed the last 3 years where all Ted did was make the tough decisions that would make him look bad in the short term. He took the full brunt and made it through (thanks to Harlan's ability to stay out of the way). I don't know if you gusy remember back 2 years ago, but when Thompson fired Sherm and hired a little known loser, McCArthy, I said he was fearless and he is about to take the entire brunt of any failure squarely on his shoulders. He did. I enjoy seeing him succeed, because I saw the hard decisions he made and I knew that he knew it was a hard road. He did it anyway and diudn't take the easy way because he knew it would fall short even if it made him look better in the short term.

b bulldog
11-11-2007, 10:31 AM
Some did report at the time of the Moss fiasco that Harlan made subtle points to TT tellinghim the fans were not in favor of him becoming a Packer.

RashanGary
11-11-2007, 10:40 AM
Some did report at the time of the Moss fiasco that Harlan made subtle points to TT tellinghim the fans were not in favor of him becoming a Packer.

I thought that was Harlan trying to feel out the crowd for Ted Thompson and making a win/win for Thompson by making it look like the fans fault if we didn't have Moss. Something felt PR fishy about that whole thing.

b bulldog
11-11-2007, 10:49 AM
I remember a interview where Bob stated that his phone has been ringing off the hook and a clear majority of fans don't want him here. aFTER THE DRAFT, ON espn, mORT reported than privately Bob wasn't real big on bringing Moss in. About a week or two ago, Mort reported on ESPN that TT was the one that balked at bringing him in. The Raiders wanted to deal with the Pack but it was reported that TT backed off when he thought how a Moss type player would mesch with all the youth in the lockerroom.

RashanGary
11-11-2007, 10:56 AM
It says a lot that Ted pursued Moss the way he did when 30 other teams wanted nothing to do with him.

Ultimately Moss ended up in NE. According to Reggie McKenzie, "Moss just wanted to be in New England", but the Packers should get some credit for trying to get a guy that most poeple thought was washed up and turned out to be a stud. It's hard to compete with the Patriots right now. That is the place vets go to win championships right now.

b bulldog
11-11-2007, 11:09 AM
That was what I stated when it went down. Ultimately, Moss wanted the Pats while the Raiders probably wanted the Pack. I'm fine with the way it all worked out.