PDA

View Full Version : PACKERS SHUT OUT VIKES FOR THE FIRST TIME

motife
11-11-2007, 03:56 PM
http://www.profootballtalk.com/rumormill.htm
PACKERS SHUT OUT VIKES FOR THE FIRST TIME

On Sunday, the Vikings and the Packers met for the 94th time.

And, for the first time in the 46-year series, the Packers have held the Vikings scoreless.

The 34-0 win by the Packers is the first shut out by either team in their twice-per-year matchups since Minnesota beat Green Bay 3-0 at the old Metropolitan Stadium in 1971. (The two teams have played two times per season since 1961, with the exception of the strike-shortened 1982 season.)

It's also the largest margin of victory by the Packers over the Vikings, ever.

In all, the Packers have won 48 times in the regular season, and the Vikings have won 44 times. They tied once. Minnesota won the only playoff game between the two teams, featuring the infamous Randy Moss mooning incident.

motife
11-11-2007, 04:01 PM
I post this primarily because I was actually AT the 3-0 Vikes win at Metropolitan stadium in 1971. In fact, I sat in temporary bleachers set up on the baseball portion of the field, so when they were on our end of the field, it was the best seat in the house.

It was John Brockington's best day as a pro at the time at least, he gained I think 148 yards. Donny Anderson gained about 80 or so yards, and the Packers outgained the Vikes something like 387 yards to 90. Zeke Bratkowski was QB believe it or not.

They rode Coach Dan Devine in on a golf cart because he had broken his leg in the first game vs. the NYG when he got wiped out on a sideline play.

Rastak
11-11-2007, 04:03 PM
I post this primarily because I was actually AT the 3-0 Vikes win at Metropolitan stadium in 1971. In fact, I sat in temporary bleachers set up on the baseball portion of the field, so when they were on our end of the field, it was the best seat in the house.

It was John Brockington's best day as a pro at the time at least, he gained I think 148 yards. Donny Anderson gained about 80 or so yards, and the Packers outgained the Vikes something like 387 yards to 90. Zeke Bratkowski was QB believe it or not.

Brockington was an ass kicker. My favorite Packer.

motife
11-11-2007, 04:09 PM
Brockington was an ass kicker. My favorite Packer.

thanks Rastak. I've always enjoyed the Vikings Packers rivaly more than any other. They're always the most exciting games in the NFC Central/North.

The T.J. Rubley fiasco.
The last second pass by Jim McMahon where he caught Terrell Buckley napping.
the Antonio Freeman miracle catch.
Chuck Foreman's great games.

btw, Fran Tarkenton is coming to Cedar Rapids, Iowa Thursday to an "Iowa Caucus Training" session for Rudy Giuliani. I'm the Linn County co-chair for Rudy. I'll post pics if he actually makes it.

falco
11-11-2007, 04:11 PM
The last second pass by Jim McMahon where he caught Terrell Buckley napping.

i remember that play like it was yesterday... if I recall correctly we would have made the playoffs if they would have just stopped them. or at least we would have remained in the running.

motife
11-11-2007, 04:13 PM
How about when Ahmad Rashad won a game in overtime with a 50 yard TD catch?

Rastak
11-11-2007, 04:15 PM

He was a pretty good player. I jumped over my coffee table in 1980 when he beat the Browns.

the_idle_threat
11-11-2007, 04:28 PM

He was a pretty good player. I jumped over my coffee table in 1980 when he beat the Browns.

Just like you avatar?

Rastak
11-11-2007, 04:30 PM

Just like you avatar?

Very similar.....

MJZiggy
11-11-2007, 05:06 PM
They shut them out and my *&#$%# ^%* #$%$$@ #&^* TIVO didn't record it. :evil: :evil: :x :x :evil: :x :evil: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Anybody got a copy?