PDA

View Full Version : WR Jimmy Smith Cut!!!!

No Mo Moss
05-11-2006, 10:02 AM
I know he's older, but this guy could play for a year or two with us and be a great possession receiver. We need to go get this guy.

No Mo Moss
05-11-2006, 10:06 AM
OK, now they're saying he's gonna retire. He needs to have a change of heart. F*cking BS, man that got me going. Too bad.

wist43
05-11-2006, 10:10 AM
He would certainly help bridge the gap until Jennings got up to speed; but, I don't think the Packers will have any interest.

They've got Driver and Ferguson pencilled in at 1,2... Jennings will probably be the #3.

That said, I like Smith. He runs great routes and is a very savvy vet... he always seems to get open for that critical 3rd down conversion.

Deputy Nutz
05-11-2006, 10:27 AM
Well if he is going to retire then he can't be a Packer, which is too bad.

No Mo Moss
05-11-2006, 10:31 AM
I still think we ned another veteran WR on the roster. What about WR Ricky Proehl? He's old as dirt, but man he will rip out your heart when he converts those 3rd down catches.

HarveyWallbangers
05-11-2006, 12:45 PM
I don't think we need another veteran like Proehl. We have Gardner and Boerigter. What we need is for somebody to become a solid #2 receiver. At this point, all we can hope for is that person is on the roster.

beakerman
05-11-2006, 02:58 PM
I can't believe it, what a selfish turd... I mean how can he wait 5 months after the season, and after this years draft to call his retirement... wow, i can't believe it, this guy was a pro's pro, how can he hold his team hostage like that... wow what a turd... :roll:

The Leaper
05-11-2006, 03:01 PM
I agree that we don't need another veteran receiver who is about to ride off into the sunset in the near future. There are plenty of talented receivers on the roster...we need to let them get out there and play and see what shakes out.

I don't care WHO we sign right now...no one is going to replace the elite athletic of Javon Walker. Inhibiting the development of guys like Jennings or Boerigter, and reducing the reps of capable vets like Gardner and Ferguson by signing a guy who has very little tread left on the tire flies in the face of what Thompson is trying to do with this team going forward.

Scott Campbell
05-17-2006, 11:21 PM
PFT

POSTED 8:32 a.m. EDT; LAST UPDATED 11:26 a.m. EDT, May 16, 2006

SPECULATION INTENSIFIES THAT SMITH WAS FACING A SUSPENSION

There is increasing talk in league circles that Jags receiver Jimmy Smith opted to retire from the NFL because he otherwise would have been slapped with a one-year suspension for violating the league's substance abuse policy.

We're not officially reporting -- yet -- that Smith failed another drug test. But plenty of league insiders are of the opinion that Smith's sudden decision to walk away was merely an effort to avoid a far less graceful exit from the game.

Since the league's testing policy and program is confidential (except when, you know, someone blabs), there's no hard evidence to either prove that Smith was in line for a one-year suspension, or to prove that he wasn't. Under the circumstances, we think that Smith should authorize the league to comment on the matter. Unless and until he does, folks will continue to believe that chose to walk the plank in lieu of having the plank shoved up his poop chute.