PDA

View Full Version : Brett Favre Leading NFL in Passing Yards (MVP again?)

woodbuck27
11-11-2007, 07:41 PM
Favre is the current leader in the NFL for Passing Yards.

His 351 yards passing today pushed him ahead of the incomparable Tom Brady.

Uhhhh !

Brett Favre sits today at 2757 yards compared to Brady's 2686 yards and Tony Romo with 254 yards today in a Cowboy victory over the Giants to bring his total to 2555 yards.

Just how could that be?

I mean come on we are talking Tom Brady here with the best WR set in the NFL by a wide margin with Moss,Stallworth and Welker plus.

Brett Favre for his fourth MVP. . . .No !

Couldn't be. Isn't he washed up?

Maybe the LEGEND . . . . will continue.

PACKERS FOREVER !!

Deputy Nutz
11-11-2007, 07:46 PM
I think I am still going to go with Brady. Favre can win the NFC MVP award and I think everyone will be happy with that.

gbgary
11-11-2007, 07:47 PM
Brett will NOT be the MVP! any Packer fan or player (especially Brett) would gladly trade that award for the ultimate prize.

woodbuck27
11-11-2007, 08:47 PM
BRETT FAVRE's quick stats (2007)

TDS 16; INT 8; YDS 2,757; QB RTG 96.2

woodbuck27
11-11-2007, 08:58 PM
I think I am still going to go with Brady. Favre can win the NFC MVP award and I think everyone will be happy with that.

Of course to this point I agree Deputy Nutz, but Favre is very impressive to date in 2007.

Brady has an impressive TD total and QB Rating after 10 weeks.

Let's not give up on Favre just yet.

He appears to be a man on a mission.Things (or nothings)
may have really pissed him off this off season.

He plays BEST when he's upset or simply put, just pissed off.

Lots of people just are that way. :)

PACKERS FOREVER!

VegasPackFan
11-11-2007, 09:24 PM
I think if we go into Dallas and GB wins the game on Brett's arm, you may have some serious talk about him getting the MVP award.

LL2
11-11-2007, 09:30 PM

Favre should be a candidate, but the talking heads are in love with Brady this year.

BallHawk
11-11-2007, 09:45 PM
Are the Patriots good without Brady? Yes. They arguably wouldn't be undefeated, but they're still an elite team.

Are the Packers good without Favre? Looking at some of the games, especially ones like Denver, Favre's carried this team on his back. You've got to think we'd be a 3 loss team if we didn't have Favre at the helm.

Brady may be the best statistical player, but, IMO, Favre has been the most valuable of any player to their respective team.

HarveyWallbangers
11-11-2007, 09:53 PM
Brady deserves the MVP this year--up to this point. It's not even close really.

Freak Out
11-11-2007, 09:56 PM
If the Pats go undefeated Brady gets it. If they lose a game and the Packers keep winning I think #4 deserves serious consideration.

woodbuck27
11-11-2007, 10:07 PM
This is so impressive (TEN receivers);

THE BIG THREE !

D. Driver 4 63 0 24
G. Jennings 4 63 0 34
J. Jones 3 62 0 37

THEN the rest of ' the threat ':

R. Martin 4 57 2 25 - WAY to GO Ruuuvellll !!

K. Robinson 5 45 0 16 - Nice day too !

D. Lee 4 27 1 10

R. Grant 5 20 0 6 - Hey Batman 2 or a two-sided sword.

B. Jackson 2 14 0 13

V. Morency 3 11 0 6

K. Hall 1 6 0 6

woodbuck27
11-11-2007, 10:10 PM
Are the Patriots good without Brady? Yes. They arguably wouldn't be undefeated, but they're still an elite team.

Are the Packers good without Favre? Looking at some of the games, especially ones like Denver, Favre's carried this team on his back. You've got to think we'd be a 3 loss team if we didn't have Favre at the helm.

Brady may be the best statistical player, but, IMO, Favre has been the most valuable of any player to their respective team.

Favre is certainly very much in it for MVP.

There are still seven games and anything may happen.

I really just want Favre to stay healthy.

Find some wood!

DannoMac21
11-11-2007, 11:09 PM
If Moss and Brady didn't exist, I'd agree with you. However, until they are beat, and start acting like human beings instead of scientific made god-like football robots, then the MVP is one of theirs.

Tony Oday
11-11-2007, 11:11 PM
Favre wins it this year...Mark it down...

woodbuck27
11-11-2007, 11:20 PM
Favre wins it this year...Mark it down...

O.kaaaaa :)

FAVRE WINS 4th NFL MVP in 2007 Season.

GREAT !!

3irty1
11-12-2007, 12:21 AM
Although I agree that Favre is worth way more to the Pack than any other player is to any other team..... I can't think of a reasonable scenario where Tom Brady doesn't actually get the MVP. The numbers are too incredible.

HarveyWallbangers
11-12-2007, 12:24 AM
33 TDs and 4 interceptions after 8 games. Think about that!

Scott Campbell
11-12-2007, 12:38 AM
I'm just glad Thompson surrounded him with playmakers and gave him a chance.

Freak Out
11-12-2007, 07:13 AM
33 TDs and 4 interceptions after 8 games. Think about that!

Crazy numbers. :shock:

Merlin
11-12-2007, 03:40 PM
It's sad that the NFL MVP (you know for the player that meant the most to his team) is decided by people with no real love of the game, just love of whoever the popular player is right now. Tomlinson deserved it last year as did Alexander the year before. Manning, maybe but I think we saw last night what happens when you take more then one of his weapons away. Brady is a good QB, he isn't flashy and he manages a game well. He can't carry a team on his back and never could. BUT, he will be the MVP even though he has more weapons then Manning. Romo is a close second because he kind of looks like a young Favre, but he too has weapons on his team. I wonder how Favre would have faired with having the same WR's for more then one season? Maybe we will find out next year and 3T can find us some depth!

3irty1
11-12-2007, 04:14 PM
It's sad that the NFL MVP (you know for the player that meant the most to his team) is decided by people with no real love of the game, just love of whoever the popular player is right now. Tomlinson deserved it last year as did Alexander the year before. Manning, maybe but I think we saw last night what happens when you take more then one of his weapons away. Brady is a good QB, he isn't flashy and he manages a game well. He can't carry a team on his back and never could. BUT, he will be the MVP even though he has more weapons then Manning. Romo is a close second because he kind of looks like a young Favre, but he too has weapons on his team. I wonder how Favre would have faired with having the same WR's for more then one season? Maybe we will find out next year and 3T can find us some depth!

We don't have enough depth at WR for you?

Joemailman
11-12-2007, 04:26 PM
Our #5 WR scored 2 TD's yesterday. He'd be #3 on a lot of teams. I'd call that depth.

The Shadow
11-12-2007, 05:33 PM
I'm just glad Thompson surrounded him with playmakers and gave him a chance.

The crucial part of the winning formula.

mission
11-12-2007, 05:57 PM
Anything that Merlin says doesn't count.

[/discussion]

:P

mraynrand
11-12-2007, 06:44 PM
Our #5 WR scored 2 TD's yesterday. He'd be #3 on a lot of teams. I'd call that depth.

I'm not sure he would be #3 or #4 on another team. But he probably is better than any #5 out there, and is almost assuredly better than the coverage that a team puts on the field to defend a fifth receiver. Plus the Packers can go with 5 wideouts or 4 wideouts and Donald Lee. Either alignment is really hard to defend. I agree about the tremendous depth part.

Merlin
11-12-2007, 07:20 PM

Two aging Tackles, 2 Guards that aren't all that much to talk about, 1 running back, currently 1 tight end, 1 fullback, no linebacker depth, no corner back depth, possibly safety depth (hasn't been proven yet). you should know by no when I speak of depth it's a team concept. One injury away in a lot of places from being in a lot of trouble.

falco
11-12-2007, 07:29 PM

Two aging Tackles, 2 Guards that aren't all that much to talk about, 1 running back, currently 1 tight end, 1 fullback, no linebacker depth, no corner back depth, possibly safety depth (hasn't been proven yet). you should know by no when I speak of depth it's a team concept. One injury away in a lot of places from being in a lot of trouble.

you just described every team in the NFL.

Merlin
11-12-2007, 07:48 PM
Really? EVERY TEAM? You mean there is a drop off at talent once you get past the starters? You don't say.

Thank you for your insightful post.

falco
11-12-2007, 07:50 PM
Really? EVERY TEAM? You mean there is a drop off at talent once you get past the starters? You don't say.

not a problem - perhaps one day Merlin, you can do the same! :lol:

HarveyWallbangers
11-12-2007, 11:37 PM
Brett is playing great ball. He's even playing at an MVP level, but Brady is having a ridiculous year. Kind of like Manning did a couple of years ago.

CaliforniaCheez
11-13-2007, 07:04 AM
Brett is a little over 1100 yards away from the career yardage record. That should occur at Lambeau in 4 more games against Oakland.

Cheesehead Craig
11-13-2007, 08:07 AM
I agree with Harvey, the race for MVP is essentially over. Barring injury or a complete meltdown, Brady is going to get it.

Deputy Nutz
11-13-2007, 08:21 AM

Go look at the offensive roster of Brady's three super bowls and then tell me he didn't carry those teams. Maybe you could claim that they had a far superior defense, but Brady carried the offense much of the time.

mraynrand
11-13-2007, 08:49 AM

Go look at the offensive roster of Brady's three super bowls and then tell me he didn't carry those teams. Maybe you could claim that they had a far superior defense, but Brady carried the offense much of the time.

Great defense. Great offensive system. Good scouting and video reports on the defense. And Brady ran the system to perfection. Favre is having an MVP level season, but Brady is at astonishing levels. Unprecedented levels. And running up the score can only add to his stats. Right now the MVP is no contest - Brady, hands down. I hope the Bills crush the life out of the Patriots next weekend. I hope Brady gets sacked 10 times and is so sore on Monday that he can't get out of bed. But that being said, he's the MVP if things stay as they are.

GBRulz
11-13-2007, 09:11 AM
I agree with Harvey, the race for MVP is essentially over. Barring injury or a complete meltdown, Brady is going to get it.

I wish the MVP award was looked at differently than just someones stats. Yes, Brady is having an incredible year, but look at his OL and who he has to throw to?

I think Favre is far more valuable to his team than Brady is to his. Without Favre, we'd maybe be 4-5 at this point. I still think without Brady, the Pats would have won most of their games, they are simply dominant in every aspect of the game.

There is a good chance though that Favre could be the NFC player of the year though.

Cheesehead Craig
11-13-2007, 09:21 AM

I wish the MVP award was looked at differently than just someones stats. Yes, Brady is having an incredible year, but look at his OL and who he has to throw to?

I think Favre is far more valuable to his team than Brady is to his. Without Favre, we'd maybe be 4-5 at this point. I still think without Brady, the Pats would have won most of their games, they are simply dominant in every aspect of the game.

There is a good chance though that Favre could be the NFC player of the year though.
Frankly, I think Moss should be the one to get the MVP this year. He has changed the entire landscape of the Pats offense. He's better than he was when he was with the Vikes and he could catch 20 TDs before the season is over. Brady is getting too much credit for the Pats historic start, and Moss is not getting nearly enough.

However, since the media loves QBs, and the stats are so overwhelming for Brady, he'll get it.

Merlin
11-13-2007, 09:46 AM

And Dilfer carried the Bucs to a super bowl. Right....

Merlin
11-13-2007, 09:47 AM

not a problem - perhaps one day Merlin, you can do the same! :lol:

"WE ARE EIGHT AND ONE, DID YOU HEAR ME EIGHT AND ONE!"

Other then that, I don't think you quite grab the concept of an NFL team.

Merlin
11-13-2007, 09:50 AM

That's what the NFL MVP is supposed to be. Normally it follows that course. If last years Super Bowl MVP is any indication (you know the player who meant the most to the team winning the game), then Brady is a lock. Manning almost cost the Colts the Super bowl, it was the running game that won the game for them.

3irty1
11-13-2007, 12:17 PM

Ok I thought you were talking about WR only. I recognize the concern but the truth is that we're not THAT bad off. We have 2 aging tackles who happen to be our best 2 lineman. Of course we won't be able to replace them with a player who can play at their level... We have the bodies to plug in though. We have guys on the roster who can play multiple positions. Same with the corners. They are elite. If we had to we could fill the holes with bodies and would likely have to compromise our scheme and play more zone. At LB we have backups who happen to be terrific special teamers. Our safeties are pretty average and an injury here hardly puts us in "a lot of trouble." As for TE we already had an injury there. We are using our depth :) For both TE and FB we can compensate for much of the loss by calling the right formations and plays. Hell my college football team doesn't even have a TE or FB on the roster.

You have a legitimate concern. You've made it clear you'd rather see more cheap veterans on the team whose abilities are known to be capable of filling in for a game or two rather than drafted prospects who are question marks. These guys like Frank Walker are nice and reliable. Personally I'm ok with having backups who have some upside and could impress, develop, and even become a starter like Ryan Grant.

Partial
11-13-2007, 01:02 PM

The Patriots don't have good depth at those positions either. Are you kidding me? Look at the Colts depth on the OL, WR, RB, DL, LB, S, and CB. Not spectacular. They do have two solid tight ends though, so naturally they have awesome depth :roll:

It is evidence to me that they don't have solid depth at safety because their defense fell apart when Sanders went out last year and is solid as a rock with him in their. They let two corners go this off-season and don't have a great amount of depth behind them now. They just signed Simeon Rice who has been cut by two teams already this season because Freeney got hurt. I doubt Peyton could name a receiver other than Reggie Wayne of Sunday. They're starting a rookie at LT and had so little depth on the DL last year that they had to make a mid-season trade to get Booger McFarland. So much for that theory, eh?

Look at the Patriots: They have incredible DL depth just like we do. They don't have any depth at QB, pretty good depth at RB, as good as depth as us at WR, not a whole lot of OL depth but they have solid starters, Not a lot of LB depth, not a lot of S depth, or CB depth.

Hmmmm... I guess its not as clear cut as you think. Most teams don't have amazing depth behind their starters, and very, very rarely is it the veteran depth you crave because veterans cost more.

Unfortunately, we're not the best team in the league. That takes a few years and a lot of luck to have happen. But, we're one of the best, even depth wise. I guess that isn't good enough for Merlin, though, who has expectations of us going 16-0 and having a roster of 53 NFL solid starters.

Partial
11-13-2007, 01:04 PM

Care to name the pro-bowlers from Brady's offenses other than he? I would like a list of the players from Brady's offenses during the 3 super bowl years that made the all-pro team.

3irty1
11-13-2007, 02:49 PM

Are you comparing Tom Brady to Trent Dilfer???

HarveyWallbangers
11-13-2007, 11:37 PM
Queston for bulldog:

If New England happened to play Green Bay in this year's Super Bowl, who would you root for?

packers11
11-13-2007, 11:53 PM
Queston for bulldog:

If New England happened to play Green Bay in this year's Super Bowl, who would you root for?

Thats an easy question... Of course he'd root for the Patriots... He has a madden type love for Brady...