PDA

View Full Version : Oregon Ducks are ranked #2 in the latest Poll.

oregonpackfan
11-11-2007, 08:35 PM
The new collegiate polls just came out today. They have the Oregon Ducks ranked #2 behind LSU!

While part of me is excited by that ranking, the realistic part of me is worried. Many teams received this #1 or #2 ranking as the "Kiss of Death." In other words, they were upset by other teams in the next two weeks.

Oregon still has games against Arizona(Thursday night on ESPN), UCLA, and Oregon State. Each one of those teams is capable of pulling off an upset of the Ducks.

packinpatland
11-11-2007, 08:49 PM
Go Ducks!!!!!!!! :D

BEARMAN
11-11-2007, 09:21 PM
I saw them at # 1 ?

digitaldean
11-11-2007, 10:20 PM
Watched parts of the KU-OSU game last night.

They are unbeaten, though not spectacular in doing it. If they can beat ISU, Mizzou AND beat Okla., they HAVE to be in the title game.

I love Oregon, but if KU is unbeaten after the Big 12 championship and Oregon and LSU win out it has to be KU vs. LSU.

This is why this BCS and these greedy college chancellors are ruining football. This been said before, but 8 bowls can be used for a 16-team playoff (the other bowls can go on just as before). That way they can have a true national champion.

The networks could rake more loot in than the NCAA B-ball tournament on this. What colossal stupidity!!!

BallHawk
11-11-2007, 10:32 PM
The Ducks are a fun team to watch. Here's hoping they make it to the Championship. :glug:

Tyrone Bigguns
11-12-2007, 12:38 PM
Gonna be hard for them with 6 starters out. They aren't LSU/USC in respect ot depth. USC struggled after they lost 7 starters. Oregon isn't USC.

oregonpackfan
11-12-2007, 02:19 PM
Gonna be hard for them with 6 starters out. They aren't LSU/USC in respect ot depth. USC struggled after they lost 7 starters. Oregon isn't USC.

You bring up a very valid point, Tyrone.

They have lost their top 3 receivers(though Brian Paysinger might be available for a bowl game), their co-starting tailback(Jeremiah Johnson) and their starting middle linebacker.

A lot of SEC teams are so deep the second and third-stringers are almost as good as the starters. That is not the situation with the Ducks. :(

3irty1
11-12-2007, 03:04 PM
I saw this really awesome bit on ESPN about this laser pointer drill that
Mike Bellotti is doing with his players. Basically they sit in a dark room and he shines a laser pointer on the wall and they have to follow it with their eyes. It is supposed to strengthen their eye muscles and improve their peripheral vision. They put the camera on Jonathan Stweart while he was doing it and his eyes were going crazy.

Anyone know more about this?

Cheesehead Craig
11-12-2007, 03:49 PM
Watched parts of the KU-OSU game last night.

They are unbeaten, though not spectacular in doing it. If they can beat ISU, Mizzou AND beat Okla., they HAVE to be in the title game.

I love Oregon, but if KU is unbeaten after the Big 12 championship and Oregon and LSU win out it has to be KU vs. LSU.
Unfortunately, I agree on this.

oregonpackfan
11-12-2007, 03:55 PM
I saw this really awesome bit on ESPN about this laser pointer drill that
Mike Bellotti is doing with his players. Basically they sit in a dark room and he shines a laser pointer on the wall and they have to follow it with their eyes. It is supposed to strengthen their eye muscles and improve their peripheral vision. They put the camera on Jonathan Stweart while he was doing it and his eyes were going crazy.

Anyone know more about this?

I have seen this a couple of times. Actually, the main effort is with the running backs. The clip did show tailback Jonathan Stewart using this. He does have remarkable field vision.

I think co-tailback Jeremiah Johnson also has remarkable field vision but he tore his ACL several games ago and is out for the season and post-season.

To my knowledge, this procedure has not been scientifically established to be effective for improving field vision. In theory, it seems like it would be very helpful.

Carolina_Packer
11-16-2007, 11:13 AM
Sorry about the game, OPF. Losing Dixon really hurt them. I don't think anyone is going to want to be #2 anymore. Heck, being #1 isn't a picnic either. I can't recall a stranger year for teams switching positions in the polls.

Badgerinmaine
11-16-2007, 11:14 AM
Sorry, OPB--Well, at least now Oregon will probably end up where the PAC-10 champ is supposed to go--to the Rose Bowl.

oregonpackfan
11-16-2007, 11:23 AM
Thanks for your sympathies, Carolina and Badgerinmaine,

The loss last night showed how crucial Dixon was to the Ducks' offense. After he went down, backup QB Brady Leaf was downright terrible.

Because of injuries, the Ducks have lost starters at QB, both starting WR's, 2 linebackers, and their #2 tailback Jeremiah Johnson.

Late in the 4th quarter, starting tailback Jonathan Stewart also went out with a leg injury. I don't know if he will be back.

It is possible the Ducks may lose the remaining two games against UCLA and Oregon State.

Fosco33
11-16-2007, 12:30 PM
My sympathies... but as with any team sport, key injuries can be a kin to the plague....

Take a look at the Badgers - losing a starting WR, RB, backup RB for road games, CB, Safety, etc. etc....

But - the beauty of college football is that there's always another young guy waiting in the wings for his shot at glory and meeting expectations. Gotta have depth to win it all.

Partial
11-16-2007, 12:37 PM
I was really hoping Oregon would make it. I am so sick of the USCs and Florida's of the world.

Cheesehead Craig
11-16-2007, 12:53 PM
Tough loss OPF. Some years it seems that injuries just kill a team.

Rastak
11-17-2007, 10:19 AM
That's a shame about Dixon. Hopefully your backup can step, but that's alot to ask.

oregonpackfan
11-17-2007, 11:03 AM
That's a shame about Dixon. Hopefully your backup can step, but that's alot to ask.

The backup is Brady Leaf, a pocket passer and 5th year senior. He does not have the skills to fit the Spread Offense scheme. The Ducks coaches are going to have to modify their offense for Leaf to be effective.