View Full Version : Favre has all the answers:QB leaves Vikings dazed, confused

packers11
11-12-2007, 01:14 AM
Favre has all the answers
QB leaves Vikings dazed, confused

By BOB McGINN
bmcginn@journalsentinel.com
Posted: Nov. 11, 2007

Green Bay - The game plan was hatched by coach Mike McCarthy and coordinator Joe Philbin. The execution was left up to Brett Favre.

Together, they put on an offensive clinic Sunday in the Green Bay Packers' 34-0 victory over the Minnesota Vikings at Lambeau Field.

"It was almost like Brett Favre had our defensive playbook in his hands or something," rookie cornerback Marcus McCauley said with a dazed look on his face and weariness in his voice. "In this league, guys make adjustments. Those guys were smart over there."

All day, the Vikings' defense, which ranked 10th in points allowed, was a step or three behind.

"The first quarter, every tendency we had, they went against," safety Dwight Smith said. "Every one.

"Three receivers, two backs. Pass formation. They ran the ball today.

"Then we have our guys in Cover-2. We're not worried about the draw because they don't run. So he's pump-faking and running the draw. Very definitely (unpredictable)."

When the rout was finished, the Packers' offense had no turnovers, two false-start penalties, 488 yards, 29 first downs and almost 41 minutes of possession time.

It also was responsible for welcoming McCauley, a bright third-round draft choice from Fresno State, into the big leagues.

"Games like this make you wonder how long you can stay in the league," McCauley said. "People said days like this would happen but I didn't think it would.
"Brett Favre is the legend that they say he is. I've never seen a quarterback make adjustments like he does. Basically, he just does what he wants to do. He was kind of jerking us around all day."

McCarthy minimized the impact of defensive tackles Pat Williams and Kevin Williams by running wide with Ryan Grant and spreading the Vikings out.

"Please don't compare him to (Dorsey) Levens," safety Darren Sharper said. "But he's a decent running back and runs the ball hard. Their scheme, that zone blocking, means there's going to be some holes, and if he just gets downhill he's going to get some yardage. If they can get close to 100 yards each game on the ground they'll be hard to beat."

On 82 snaps, counting penalties, McCarthy employed two or more backs just 26 times. Six came from a Power-I set in which Grant ran five tosses for 17 yards.

"They were able to run the football against our seven-man front, which most people haven't been able to do," defensive coordinator Leslie Frazier said. "They did a great job preparing for us."
Thirty-six plays came from shotgun formation, all with at least three wide receivers on the field. In total, the Packers ran 61 plays with at least three wide receivers, including 13 with no running back.

Against such multiplicity the Vikings generally remained in a two-safety shell hoping their four-man rush would disrupt Favre. Frazier, who blitzed on 37.5% of passes in the first meeting, was reluctant to pressure this time without injured cornerback Antoine Winfield.

"When you have arguably your best corner out," Smith said, "you're going to try to put in as many wide receivers as you can to see how deep we can go."

Green Bay's five wide receivers split almost equally 20 receptions for 290 yards.

"(Donald) Driver is playing good but they've got so many options, Driver gets forgot," Sharper said. "I like (Greg) Jennings a lot. For a rookie, (James) Jones is playing extremely well. Not a burner and not a guy who's going to make you miss, but he's a smooth type who, if he's open, he'll catch it. Koren (Robinson) looked like he's in excellent shape. And 82 (Ruvell Martin) is a big, tall guy. Not bad."

When the coverage was adequate and the rush drew near, numerous times Favre danced forward a step or two before firing.
"I mean, I just think it's Brett," Sharper said. "A lot of times, what they're running, it's kind of like backyard football, to be honest with you. They just let guys run and wait until guys get open.
"Brett's so smart. He's throwing the ball quick, even when he's in shotgun," Sharper said. "He looks for a quick read. If that's not there, he holds it for a little bit and lets guys get uncovered. That's tough to stop."

At times, Frazier dropped defensive linemen off into coverage attempting to confuse Favre. But only once did Favre come close to throwing an interception.

"Last week, we tried to pressure (Philip) Rivers because he's a young guy and with guys around him he tends to struggle," McCauley said. "Whereas with Favre, it seems like he is almost better.

"His pump fakes are like actual throws. He throws his whole body into them. How do you not respect it? Then he pumps one way and goes the other.

"Pretty much every play he did at the line. I've never seen a quarterback with the confidence to be able to do that."

Blend in four shovel passes (McCarthy hadn't called one since Week 3) for 13 yards and two screens worth 18 and it became an offensive masterpiece.

The Leaper
11-12-2007, 07:27 AM
For once, I agree with Sharper.

Don't compare Grant to Levens right now...unless you are merely talking about how he looks in a jersey that shares the same number. Grant has shown some promise...but he's got a long ways to go to prove as reliable and tough as Levens.

Iron Mike
11-12-2007, 07:37 AM

I think D-Sharp should just STFU.

POLISHHAWK
11-12-2007, 07:38 AM
I love the last quote by McCauley!

"His pump fakes are like throws"

That is what Favre does so, so well. He can shift an entire defense with the convincing pump.

Almost makes you feel compassion for the Vikes.... I live in MN, and actually felt bad smiling this morning.... well, not that bad.

Of course, my fellow colleagues were blaming the ref's (typical when the Vikes Loose). :cry:

gbpackfan
11-12-2007, 07:46 AM
McCauley's quotes were priceless.

Sharper does need to shut his mouth. I give him credit for calling us the best team in the NFC but it seems like his other comments are a little prickish. I just can't put my finger on it, I just don't like him anymore.

Rastak
11-12-2007, 08:00 AM
Here's some funny stuff from the Pioneer Press.....

After watching the Vikings' quarterbacks for the past two seasons, it's a shock to the system to see Favre. He looks like God out there. Favre does all sorts of strange and wondrous things. I found myself nudging the fellow next to me in the press box and asking: What just happened?

"It's called a touchdown pass."

Holy buckets, did you see what I saw?

"It's called threading a pass between two defenders."

Is that legal?

Not in Minnesota.

Joemailman
11-12-2007, 08:00 AM
Packers had 22 first downs through the air. That game had to seem like a recurring nightmare to the Viking DB's.

The Leaper
11-12-2007, 08:07 AM
It could be worse Rastak...

You could be a Bears fan. I'm not sure a Bears fan could adequately identify what a QB is supposed to do on the field at this point.

oregonpackfan
11-12-2007, 10:47 AM
Here's some funny stuff from the Pioneer Press.....

After watching the Vikings' quarterbacks for the past two seasons, it's a shock to the system to see Favre. He looks like God out there. Favre does all sorts of strange and wondrous things. I found myself nudging the fellow next to me in the press box and asking: What just happened?

"It's called a touchdown pass."

Holy buckets, did you see what I saw?

"It's called threading a pass between two defenders."

Is that legal?

Not in Minnesota.

I loved it, Rastak! :lol: :lol:

Carolina_Packer
11-12-2007, 11:20 AM

Don't compare Grant to Levens right now...unless you are merely talking about how he looks in a jersey that shares the same number. Grant has shown some promise...but he's got a long ways to go to prove as reliable and tough as Levens.

I think is also a physical/facial similarity. I don't think anyone thinks that Ryan Grant is going to be as accomplished a Packer as Levens; that's a wait and see thing.

Grant
http://media.scout.com/Media/Image/46/469835.jpg

Levens
http://www.earthcam.com/events/superbowl/2000/playersparty/headshots/dorsey_levens.jpg

FritzDontBlitz
11-12-2007, 08:20 PM
I am watching a replay of the game, that first TD pass to Donald Lee was an incredible play in the goal line situation.

2nd and goal at the Vikings' 1 yard line. I formation with two TE's: Krause split out slightly to the left, Donald Lee tight on the right side. FB Korey Hall lined up just off Lee's right hip two yards off the LOS. FB Kuhn lined up as the lead back with Grant behind him.

An obvious running play, right?

Wrong!

Lee shifts back two yards, while Hall steps to the LOS to mirror Krause as the right end on the LOS. Lee goes in motion to his left and he reaches the gap between LT Clifton and LTE Krause as Favre takes the snap. As Kuhn initially simulates a lead block to the area just behind Clifton, Favre fakes the handoff to Grant and the entire defensive backfield of Minnesota falls for it and tries to converge on what appears to be a run play. By the time Minnesota realizes its a fake, Kuhn peels off left to the flat 1-2 yards deep as Krause slips behind the Linebackers into the middle and is wide open. Meanwhile the one defender able to cover Kuhn tries to grab at him in vain as he slips past while Lee crosses left and is wide open 5 yards deep and Favre connects for the touchdown.

Beautiful play-action in a goal line situation. All 3 receivers on the left were wide open, Favre could pick his poison and chose Lee but Krause was standing 7 yards deep in the middle of the end zone all alone. I look forward to seeing this play run more often. M3 draws up some sweet shit, I tell ya.

God I love the emergence of the running game. 8-)

RashanGary
11-12-2007, 09:18 PM
"(Donald) Driver is playing good but they've got so many options, Driver gets forgot," Sharper said. "I like (Greg) Jennings a lot. For a rookie, (James) Jones is playing extremely well. Not a burner and not a guy who's going to make you miss, but he's a smooth type who, if he's open, he'll catch it. Koren (Robinson) looked like he's in excellent shape. And 82 (Ruvell Martin) is a big, tall guy. Not bad."

Sharper should go into analysis. This was pretty good for a guy who only sees this team twice per year. He listed them pretty much in order of best to worst IMO.

RashanGary
11-12-2007, 09:21 PM
When the coverage was adequate and the rush drew near, numerous times Favre danced forward a step or two before firing.
"I mean, I just think it's Brett," Sharper said. "A lot of times, what they're running, it's kind of like backyard football, to be honest with you. They just let guys run and wait until guys get open.
"Brett's so smart. He's throwing the ball quick, even when he's in shotgun," Sharper said. "He looks for a quick read. If that's not there, he holds it for a little bit and lets guys get uncovered. That's tough to stop."

This is funny. It sounds like our recievers and QB are on the same page so much that there is no way to defend it. Plus, the line is protecting. I've never seen a team so complimentary. Is this the Vikings or the brown nosers?

b bulldog
11-12-2007, 09:21 PM
One guy he forgot to mention was Donald Lee.

RashanGary
11-12-2007, 09:26 PM
One guy he forgot to mention was Donald Lee.

True.

One thing I will say about McCarthy is that he is very flexible. Sherman had plays, he wnated them run exactly as they were drawn up and he has success doing it. When he ran into good teams, they shut down what we do and there wasn't much flex or play.

This team seems more flexible. Good defenses havn't done a very good job shutting this team down. Not only are they capable of attacking any area of the field, but at every snap, they are ready to attack whatever is thrown their way. Sherman just called the play, and that was it.

I don't know, I think we're seeing a team that is not quite as talented as Shermans early teams (because they are still too young), but a coach that is an improvement over what we had. I just never expected this much success. I think we knew what we had talent wise, but we just didn't know what it was like to have a great coach.

RashanGary
11-12-2007, 09:32 PM
Do you ever remember a game where a defense said they felt dazed and confused under Sherman? I remember us saying Sherman looked dazed and confused (like a deer in the headlights). I don't ever remember teams saying how we out schemed them :)

Sherm did a good job getting guys prepared, but he certainly lacked a little something during game time. MM coaches with a killer instinct. Sherm (a pear shaped deer in the headlights).

pbmax
11-12-2007, 09:39 PM
/threadjack

I was going to put this into the Sharper thread, but I have nothing personally against him, and truthfully, I am not against running your mouth to get into an opponents head. Even if occasionally it turns around and bites you in the hindquarters.

My beef is with McGinn (who wrote the article under discussion here and hence the tenuous connection) and the Sharper article from last week. Saying the Packers and T2 had never adequately replaced Sharper at safety was a dubious assertion at best and he qualified none of it.

Sharper at $7 million per should have been a top flight safety for the Packers, not a gambling, bad angle, let too many people get behind you liability. He has considerable skill as a cover guy and route jumper in the middle of the field.

But even his best skills weren't a good fit with the Packers in Bates scheme. The Tampa 2 that Tomlin employed last year wasn't the best fit for Sharper either and I believe he made mention of this. And while the Packers do not play the Tampa 2, they do often play both safeties deep when they are not facing Brooks Bollinger.

Point is that even at the reduced rate of $4 million, Sharper was a veteran player who wasn't going to get better and whose best attributes would not get used by the scheme. McGinn fails to mention you may not have seen Bigby or Collins develop if Sharper had accepted the pay cut.

And I don't believe we would have had a better defense this year if he was still around. He wouldn't have made the 4-12 season better and I'm not certain he makes the Packers a playoff team during last years 8-8.

Without animosity for the player, it was a necessary move and has paid off. His play during the game (twice trailing on deep throws and failing to get to Jennings on the underthrown ball, then failing to dislodge it) only served to highlight the discrepancy of Sharper's rep and his play.

FritzDontBlitz
11-12-2007, 11:22 PM
Point is that even at the reduced rate of $4 million, Sharper was a veteran player who wasn't going to get better and whose best attributes would not get used by the scheme. McGinn fails to mention you may not have seen Bigby or Collins develop if Sharper had accepted the pay cut.

Since when have Bigby and Collins developed into anything more than two decent runstopping safeties who are liabilities in the passing game because they both have a bad habit of staring into the backfield too much? Both play like strong safeties and prefer to attack the run. Sharper is a free safety, and his resonsibilities are pass first/run second. We haven't replaced him yet. I agree he wanted a little too much at the time but I feel McGinn showed that he was very productive at the position since he left Green Bay to join Minnesota, much more than the players who replaced him.

HarveyWallbangers
11-13-2007, 12:05 AM
The safeties have had some breakdowns, but most safeties do. I'd hardly call them liabilities in the passing game. The fact that we aren't giving up big plays in the passing game always point to good coverage play by the safeties to me.

Pacopete4
11-13-2007, 01:47 AM
screw sharper and his mouth.. i hope everytime we play them we shove it down his throat, longwell too... crosby is better already in my opinion

he had his chance with us and hes got too much pride to suck it up and be a team player.. we dont need that.. perfect example was the last martin TD when his teammate had a for sure pick

SD GB fan
11-13-2007, 02:00 AM
yeah i like what i see from the team this year. i just dont understand how we got blown out by the pats and jets last year. amazing how far we have come.