PDA

View Full Version : When?

Tarlam!
11-12-2007, 12:35 PM
Everybody concurs, Favre is a HOFer just waiting for induction.

When was the day Brett Favre became a sure fire, first ballot HOFer?

Was there a defining moment? Was the sum of the addition complete when what happened?

Partial
11-12-2007, 12:36 PM
Super Bowl win. We knew he was coming home with 2 MVP trophies and a ring. That gets you into Canton.

MJZiggy
11-12-2007, 12:37 PM
Yep. Jan. 26, 1997

Tarlam!
11-12-2007, 12:38 PM
Yep. Jan. 26, 1997

You do realize that's Australia Day, right? Like the 4th of July?

Anyway, that made him a first ballot?

MJZiggy
11-12-2007, 12:44 PM
That sealed him into the hall. First ballot? Maybe when he broke the consecutive games record? Or the 3rd MVP. Probably the 3rd MVP.

FritzDontBlitz
11-12-2007, 01:15 PM
The winning TD pass to Kittrick (sp?) Taylor would be the first indication he was gonna be special.

My first visual evidence he was gonna be in Canton was when he threw the long TD bomb to the opposite side of the field to a wide open Sterling Sharpe to win the playoff game vs. the Detroit Lions, I think it was 1993?

3irty1
11-12-2007, 02:41 PM
I agree it was the superbowl and mvps. That's why Kurt Warner will get in and Dante Culpepper probobly won't.

The Leaper
11-12-2007, 02:41 PM
Super Bowl win. We knew he was coming home with 2 MVP trophies and a ring. That gets you into Canton.

I don't think so.

If he died the day after the Super Bowl XXXI, he would not be in Canton. 20,000 career passing yards and 150 TDs don't get you into Canton.

I agree that the win in Super Bowl XXXI sealed his legacy in terms of accomplishment, but there is an aspect of longevity that is also factored in by HOF voters I believe. I'm not sure what the number of players are in Canton with less than 8 years of service to their credit, but I'm guessing it is extremely small.

Personally, I think breaking the consecutive games record at QB probably sealed it for him in terms of getting into the HOF...which I believe occured in 1999. That is evidence of longevity.

In terms of first ballot? I think the game he played in Oakland after his father died sealed that up. To us, he was a first ballot long before that...but to the nation, Favre was placed on that pedestal that night by the performance of him AND his teammates. It showed the leadership and talent of Favre like no other moment in his career.

How many QBs in the HOF are first ballot selections? I don't have time to look it up.

3irty1
11-12-2007, 02:56 PM
I don't think so.

If he died the day after the Super Bowl XXXI, he would not be in Canton. 20,000 career passing yards and 150 TDs don't get you into Canton.

Thats similar numbers to Roger Staubach. Pile a SB and a couple MVPs on those numbers and he is looking pretty good.

The Leaper
11-12-2007, 02:57 PM
Thats similar numbers to Roger Staubach. Pile a SB and a couple MVPs on those numbers and he is looking pretty good.

Stauback isn't playing in the modern era, either. Hell, Rex Grossman might get to 20,000 yards.

I agree that Favre was looking good after the SB win...I think he still needed to play out the string to wrap it up. That is why I think the consecutive starts record wrapped it up a couple years later.

Carolina_Packer
11-12-2007, 03:29 PM
I think it was the day that John Madden took Brett's hand in marriage. Don't they look happy together?

http://thefeed.blogs.com/photos/uncategorized/favremadden5rw.jpg

I wonder if Deanna minds the old guy hanging around? I hear she's had to learn how to make a turducken, and still can't get used to the sudden outbursts of "Boom" and "Pow".

Joemailman
11-12-2007, 04:22 PM
I think it was his performance in There's Something About Mary.

3irty1
11-12-2007, 04:41 PM
I think it was his performance in There's Something About Mary.

Excellent thought. I'm pretty sure that Ace Ventura propelled Dan Marino in.

Guiness
11-12-2007, 05:23 PM
I agree it was the superbowl and mvps. That's why Kurt Warner will get in and Dante Culpepper probobly won't.

You think he'll get in? I hadn't thought about it before, but I guess he probably will. I think his version of playing out the string, hanging around for a few years when he obviously is a 2nd rate guy hurts him.

I also think Favre's trip was guaranteed after the SB. He didn't have incredible aggreegate stats, but the MVP's and ring made up for the gap.

I think he became a shoo-in first balloter when he broke the consecutive games streak. At this point I think they'll likely waive the waiting period!

Bretsky
11-12-2007, 07:54 PM
Everybody concurs, Favre is a HOFer just waiting for induction.

When was the day Brett Favre became a sure fire, first ballot HOFer?

Was there a defining moment? Was the sum of the addition complete when what happened?

Such an EZ question with a deep answer

When my wife stood up on the bar stool and in her drunken state cussed him out for not giving her an autograph for me in Milwaukee in June of 1995; from that point on he was destined to turn around his career and become a sure fire Hall of Famer.