PDA

View Full Version : Packer/Cowboy Game

packinpatland
11-12-2007, 05:58 PM
I just read that the game will ONLY be carried on the NFL channel!

mission
11-12-2007, 06:02 PM
so do what everyone else who follows the pack has to do when they dont live in wisconsin.

get in the car and go to a sports bar.

i read a lot of sunday threads about people "missing the game" cuz of some stupid TV thing. i cant imagine missing a game... put some effort into it. there are 16 games a year! that's it! i could never miss a game...

hell i usually wake up at 12:30 with horrible breath, my shoes still on and thinking im a half hour late before realizing i live in EST time now. :lol:

despite those conditions, i still had a miller lite girl insist i take her number... yummy. :P

arcilite
11-12-2007, 06:02 PM
uh, welcome to like 6 months ago.

we've known this ever since the schedule came out.

Harlan Huckleby
11-12-2007, 06:03 PM
I'm getting pissed. The Badger game Saturday against MN is on Big Ten Network.

Hope I don't shock anybody, but it seems like the football industry is squeezing the fans for more and more dollars. Those huge salaries for college facilities, college coaches, and NFL players have to come from somewhere.

Harlan Huckleby
11-12-2007, 06:03 PM

how nice for you to be so well informed.

Harlan Huckleby
11-12-2007, 06:05 PM

bar stools hurt my butt after a couple hours. And that's if you are lucky enough to find a place to sit. ya, I'm soft and spoiled and too cheap to get premium tv.

Rastak
11-12-2007, 06:07 PM
I'm getting pissed. The Badger game Saturday against MN is on Big Ten Network.

Hope I don't shock anybody, but it seems like the football industry is squeezing the fans for more and more dollars. Those huge salaries for college facilities, college coaches, and NFL players have to come from somewhere.

I'll sell you my ticket and you can go. I'm 12 rows off the field.

Lot of parents of the Gophers sit there, including this giant SOB so you'd have to be careful......man, red will outnumber maroon by a large margin.

Harlan Huckleby
11-12-2007, 06:09 PM
thanks for offer, Rastak, but I'll probably travel to the Big Ten Pub. I'm not sure a Badger-Gopher game is gonna be one for the ages.

Rastak
11-12-2007, 06:13 PM
thanks for offer, Rastak, but I'll probably travel to the Big Ten Pub. I'm not sure a Badger-Gopher game is gonna be one for the ages.

Totally agree, but the Packers-Cowboys game might be! That'll be a battle amd the winner will be in the NFC drivers seat.

mission
11-12-2007, 06:14 PM

bar stools hurt my butt after a couple hours. And that's if you are lucky enough to find a place to sit. ya, I'm soft and spoiled and too cheap to get premium tv.

TJs in Roswell GA had almost 800 packer fans in it on sunday... way more than usual with all the f'n bandwagon casual fans there.

i had to stand... i feel i can drink more if im standing up so it worked out. :oops:

Joemailman
11-12-2007, 06:48 PM

Directv is premium TV?

Harlan Huckleby
11-12-2007, 06:51 PM

Directv is premium TV?

at my current income, color is premium

I'm only paying $18/month for basic cable, and it includes ESPN channels.

Bretsky
11-12-2007, 08:01 PM
I just read that the game will ONLY be carried on the NFL channel!

YUP; everybody needs to stop complaining and make their cable provider life's hell. And don't take their generic BS

GBRulz
11-12-2007, 08:09 PM
Time Warner and Charter are clueless if they truly believe their subscribers that are dropping like flies has nothing to do with the NFL and BTN. I'm not saying that is the main reason, but it's a big reason.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Article from JSOnline:

Time Warner Cable and Charter Communications, two major cable carriers in Wisconsin, are reporting they have lost thousands of cable subscribers, a development some tie to consumers upset that they can't get the Big Ten Network and the NFL Network.

Charter Tumbles
Charter Communications Inc. posted a record decline in Nasdaq trading Thursday after reporting a wider third-quarter loss and saying basic cable subscribers dropped service. The loss expanded to $407 million, or $1.10 a share, from $133 million, or 41 cents, a year earlier. St. Louis-based Charter said sales rose 9.9% to $1.53 billion. Expenses rose faster than sales, and the company had $452 million in interest costs in the quarter. Charter lost more than 40,000 basic cable subscribers during the period. Charter shares fell 62 cents, or 35%, to $1.16, the biggest drop since the company went public in November 1999. The stock has lost 62% this year.

While acknowledging the erosion of subscribers nationwide and in Wisconsin, spokesmen for both companies say other factors are behind the loss of cable subscribers. They include the downturn in the economy and the roiling of the housing market, as well as heightened competition from telephone companies in major cities around the country.

"The impact of not having the NFL Network or the Big Ten Network has been non-existent," said Alex Dudley, a Time Warner spokesman in New York.

Anita Lamont, a Charter Communications spokesman, echoed that comment, saying her firm had not seen a loss of customers due solely to people unhappy about not being able to purchase the two sports networks.

Time Warner Cable said Wednesday it had lost 83,000 subscribers in the three months ended Sept. 30, and another 57,000 in the three months prior. Time Warner has about 600,000 households in eastern Wisconsin.

Charter, which has 500,000 households in Wisconsin, reported Thursday it had lost 40,200 subscribers in the three months ended Sept. 30 and another 29,300 in the three months before.

At the same time, DirecTV, which has a contract to carry the Big Ten Network and the NFL Network, reported this week it had added 240,000 new subscribers as of Sept. 30, a 6% increase over a year earlier.

At the DISH network, which also has deals with the two sports networks, spokesman Parker McConachie said the company added 170,000 new subscribers in the second quarter.
On Wall Street, Charter shares fell 62 cents, or 35%, to $1.16. Time Warner closed at $25.82, down 55 cents.

Richard Greenfield, a cable television analyst with Pali Research, said this week that "while the pain inflicted on the cable industry for not carrying the Big Ten Network during college football season has been moderate, we believe the pain is set to reach a whole new level as college basketball season tips off in November."

Greenfield could not be reached for comment.

The Big Ten Network is scheduled to broadcast 140 men's basketball games this season. But the two major cable companies have not reached an agreement with either the NFL Network or the Big Ten Network. The two networks are pushing to be placed on expanded basic cable. The cable companies say customers are better served if the channels are placed on a digital sports tier. That way, customers who want more sports can pay for it, and those who don't won't have to pay extra.

Mark Silverman, president of the Big Ten Network, said the cable companies, especially Time Warner, have been saying that talks have been ongoing. The statement was repeated Thursday by Dudley, the Time Warner spokesman. But Silverman said that isn't the case.

"That's a blatant attempt to hold on to their subscribers," he said. "They are not negotiating and they say they are."

Bretsky
11-12-2007, 08:13 PM
Time Warner and Charter are clueless if they truly believe their subscribers that are dropping like flies has nothing to do with the NFL and BTN. I'm not saying that is the main reason, but it's a big reason.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Article from JSOnline:

Time Warner Cable and Charter Communications, two major cable carriers in Wisconsin, are reporting they have lost thousands of cable subscribers, a development some tie to consumers upset that they can't get the Big Ten Network and the NFL Network.

Charter Tumbles
Charter Communications Inc. posted a record decline in Nasdaq trading Thursday after reporting a wider third-quarter loss and saying basic cable subscribers dropped service. The loss expanded to $407 million, or $1.10 a share, from $133 million, or 41 cents, a year earlier. St. Louis-based Charter said sales rose 9.9% to $1.53 billion. Expenses rose faster than sales, and the company had $452 million in interest costs in the quarter. Charter lost more than 40,000 basic cable subscribers during the period. Charter shares fell 62 cents, or 35%, to $1.16, the biggest drop since the company went public in November 1999. The stock has lost 62% this year.

While acknowledging the erosion of subscribers nationwide and in Wisconsin, spokesmen for both companies say other factors are behind the loss of cable subscribers. They include the downturn in the economy and the roiling of the housing market, as well as heightened competition from telephone companies in major cities around the country.

"The impact of not having the NFL Network or the Big Ten Network has been non-existent," said Alex Dudley, a Time Warner spokesman in New York.

Anita Lamont, a Charter Communications spokesman, echoed that comment, saying her firm had not seen a loss of customers due solely to people unhappy about not being able to purchase the two sports networks.

Time Warner Cable said Wednesday it had lost 83,000 subscribers in the three months ended Sept. 30, and another 57,000 in the three months prior. Time Warner has about 600,000 households in eastern Wisconsin.

Charter, which has 500,000 households in Wisconsin, reported Thursday it had lost 40,200 subscribers in the three months ended Sept. 30 and another 29,300 in the three months before.

At the same time, DirecTV, which has a contract to carry the Big Ten Network and the NFL Network, reported this week it had added 240,000 new subscribers as of Sept. 30, a 6% increase over a year earlier.

At the DISH network, which also has deals with the two sports networks, spokesman Parker McConachie said the company added 170,000 new subscribers in the second quarter.
On Wall Street, Charter shares fell 62 cents, or 35%, to $1.16. Time Warner closed at $25.82, down 55 cents.

Richard Greenfield, a cable television analyst with Pali Research, said this week that "while the pain inflicted on the cable industry for not carrying the Big Ten Network during college football season has been moderate, we believe the pain is set to reach a whole new level as college basketball season tips off in November."

Greenfield could not be reached for comment.

The Big Ten Network is scheduled to broadcast 140 men's basketball games this season. But the two major cable companies have not reached an agreement with either the NFL Network or the Big Ten Network. The two networks are pushing to be placed on expanded basic cable. The cable companies say customers are better served if the channels are placed on a digital sports tier. That way, customers who want more sports can pay for it, and those who don't won't have to pay extra.

Mark Silverman, president of the Big Ten Network, said the cable companies, especially Time Warner, have been saying that talks have been ongoing. The statement was repeated Thursday by Dudley, the Time Warner spokesman. But Silverman said that isn't the case.

"That's a blatant attempt to hold on to their subscribers," he said. "They are not negotiating and they say they are."

THIS IS GREAT SHIT

I'M CALLING THOSE CHARTER ZERO'S AGAIN TONIGHT !!!!!!!!!!!!!

THANKS GBM

GBRulz
11-12-2007, 08:18 PM
Anything for a man who brings me alcohol....ok not really...lol....

here is the link for that page...

http://www.jsonline.com/story/index.aspx?id=684237

MTPackerfan
11-12-2007, 08:28 PM
glad I am going to be there, since I don't get the NFL Network!!!

packinpatland
11-12-2007, 08:34 PM

OK newbie..........no need to be a smart ass. :wink:

LL2
11-12-2007, 08:41 PM
Pay the few extra bucks to get the NFL network and quit your whining! To me it's worth it if it comes in HD.

privatepacker
11-12-2007, 09:27 PM
Try Sopcast and watch on your computer.

Fosco33
11-12-2007, 10:12 PM
I switched to DirecTV about 4 years ago and love it (and TiVO).

I always hated these big cable companies (just like phone/cell carriers) - they don't know/care what customers really want.

Charter - give me a break. Had sooo many issues with that service while at UW. Never again.

And I love how those cable companies were quick (and smug) to say that not having those channels is 'non-existent' as a factor in declining users --- while the satellite companies (generally more expensive) seem to be increasing users.

And the bar vs. Sunday Ticket debate --- all I know is that a case of beer, some packaged brats and a group of fans watching the game on the big screen while actually being able to hear the game is just as much fun (and MUCH cheaper) than going to the bar. Think about 3.5 hours of drinking (heavily) -- say 12 beers at a cheap $3/beer (in LA or other big cities they're easily 4 or 5) and that's at least $40 a week (without ANY food). That's $640/season on beer alone at a bar! And if you're on the West Coast - drinking at a bar at 10am isn't as much fun as you'd hope. Plus -- you're either walking, cabbing or hitching a ride - OR - risking a huge DUI. My cop friends love staking out bars at about 330 on Sundays in WI....

BEARMAN
11-12-2007, 10:24 PM
65 inch big screen TV, $1850.45
DirectTV silver package, $54.99
NFL Package, $135.99
Overstuffed recliner, $545.89
1/2 rack of Beer, $9.49
Chips, dip, and wings, $14.45
Watching Da BEARS kick the packs arse (again),

" PRICELESS ! :twisted:

GO BEARS GO

gbgary
11-12-2007, 10:58 PM
NFL Package, $135.99
1/2 rack of Beer, $9.49

GO BEARS GO

http://images.corvetteforum.com/images/smilies/Yawn.gif

swede
11-13-2007, 07:28 AM
In my neighborhood there are ATT trucks all over the place and people are disconnecting Charter because ATT is offering NFL channel, Big Ten Network, highspeed internet connection (with wireless set up in the house) and a DVR with a few movie channels to boot for 75 bucks a month.

Everyone I talk to says the Big Ten Network and the NFL channel are a huge reason for making the switch.

In this technology your system is constantly connecting back up-stream for just the trickle of info you need instead of having the whole gush piped in at once.

The picture is fine, but there is a bit of latency as you switch channels or surf.

(I was watching the Badger BB team play the other night on BTN and I had to leave the house for 45 minutes. I hit the record buttton and watched the rest of the game w/o commercials or half time break later that evening. The DVR thing is awesome.)

Sorry if this qualifies as :jack:

Back to the Pack.

In '96 at this point in the season you just knew something special was unfolding.

I am very impressed with this team, and I now believe they will be competitive with Dallas. An NFC championship game between Dallas and GB would be very interesting to watch. I'd love to return the favor to them from the matchup in '95.

GBRulz
11-13-2007, 09:18 AM
If you can't get the NFLN... here is your other option for seeing the game live... ticket prices for this game...

Upper Endzone.... $310
50 yd line seats.... $1500

source: eventusa.com

Merlin
11-13-2007, 09:56 AM
NFL Package, $135.99
1/2 rack of Beer, $9.49

GO BEARS GO

What is a "1/2 rack of Beer"?

AtlPackFan
11-13-2007, 10:59 AM
so do what everyone else who follows the pack has to do when they dont live in wisconsin.

i read a lot of sunday threads about people "missing the game" cuz of some stupid TV thing. i cant imagine missing a game... put some effort into it. there are 16 games a year! that's it! i could never miss a game...

hell i usually wake up at 12:30 with horrible breath, my shoes still on and thinking im a half hour late before realizing i live in EST time now. :lol:

despite those conditions, i still had a miller lite girl insist i take her number... yummy. :P

So what sports bar do you frequent to watch the games? TJ's???

TennesseePackerBacker
11-13-2007, 11:11 AM
I hope an SEC channel is in the works

Harlan Huckleby
11-13-2007, 12:12 PM
I hope an SEC channel is in the works

Ya, maybe we can pay separate fees for each of the major conferences!

Does anybody doubt that this is the way things are going?

Tennessee, I understand why you want an SEC channel, am not criticizing you for it.

I think the years 2000-2006 are going to be remembered as a golden age for college football on TV. They had most of the great games on ordinary cable for free. From here on out, I just see the football industry raising prices until demand levels off, and demand is very, very high, so get ready to pay.

Harlan Huckleby
11-13-2007, 12:17 PM
And furthermore..... I don't blame Charter Cable one damn bit for not carrying the Big Ten Network. Sure, they will lose a few customers this year, but in the long run they are just creating tremendous publicity and demand for the product. And the stakes for them are high, they can earn a ton more putting the BTN on a premium tier. If I were them, I wouldn't budge. Most people can't or won't switch to satelite.

mraynrand
11-13-2007, 01:14 PM
One problem with satellite, is that heavy rain showers can block the signal. Like last night when I wanted to watch 49ers at Seattle. Oh, wait, the game SUCKED, so I guess - Score another point for SATELLITE!

GBRulz
11-13-2007, 06:19 PM
Most people can't or won't switch to satelite.

did you read the JSO Article I posted earlier in this thread?? 411,000 subscribers were added (Dish and DirectTV) in the 2nd quarter of this year !!

Bretsky
11-13-2007, 07:54 PM
And furthermore..... I don't blame Charter Cable one damn bit for not carrying the Big Ten Network. Sure, they will lose a few customers this year, but in the long run they are just creating tremendous publicity and demand for the product. And the stakes for them are high, they can earn a ton more putting the BTN on a premium tier. If I were them, I wouldn't budge. Most people can't or won't switch to satelite.

Charter lost over 50% of their stock price and has an extremely high loss of customers over the past few months.

Charter sucks. They will switch. Someday Charter will go out of business and many people will be extremely happy about it.

Hold Strong Charter; you won't have any customers soon

Their customer service sucks; they mandate a higher pipe, send out letters thanking you for your support with this.....and then three months later mandate a price hike for higher speed you don't even need.

For me they have til the beginning of next NFL season to make a deal with the NFL Network and Big Ten Network; I'm done with them if they don't make it happen.

As it stands now I make a phone call every other month to give my viewpoint to stop making excuses and make things happen with the NFL Network

Brando19
11-13-2007, 07:56 PM
Charter has been replaced by Suddenlink in my area. Charter is no more!

Bretsky
11-13-2007, 07:58 PM

Congrats to not having the deal with those zero's anymore

Brando19
11-13-2007, 08:00 PM

Congrats to not having the deal with those zero's anymore

No doubt. They're horrible. All Suddenlink needs is the NFL Network and they'd be angels!

Harlan Huckleby
11-13-2007, 08:25 PM
All Suddenlink needs is the NFL Network and they'd be angels!

out of the frying pan and into the fire.

it's not just charter. most of the cable companies are not carrying the Big Ten.

Harlan Huckleby
11-13-2007, 08:32 PM

did you read the JSO Article I posted earlier in this thread?? 411,000 subscribers were added (Dish and DirectTV) in the 2nd quarter of this year !!

That article says that the effect of the BTN on this was slight. I don't know anybody switching to Satelite because of reception problems in cities, and because they are happy with charter internet.

Harlan Huckleby
11-13-2007, 08:37 PM
Charter lost over 50% of their stock price and has an extremely high loss of customers over the past few months.

Charter sucks. They will switch. Someday Charter will go out of business and many people will be extremely happy about it.

It's not just Charter balking on the BTN.

I don't see any triumphs of good over evil on the horizon.

I'm not sure what you want Charter to do. Offer the Big Ten with expanded Basic? That would be great for us, but they aren't gonna do it. Their marketing tells them that premium tier is drastically to their advantage.

Why should we take the Big Ten's side against Charter? Charter wanted to carry the network from day 1 as a premium channel.

I guess it is wishful thinking that we'll get something for free. And if it somehow happens, hip-hip-horrrah. I think the "evil", if there is any, is just the greed of the Universities. The BTN idea ultimately gouges the fans.

Bretsky
11-13-2007, 08:52 PM

That article says that the effect of the BTN on this was slight. I don't know anybody switching to Satelite because of reception problems in cities, and because they are happy with charter internet.

Yes, and that quote is from a Cable mouthpiece if I'm not mistaken. I've got a bridge to sell to anybody who believes that.

Bretsky
11-13-2007, 08:53 PM

It's not just Charter balking on the BTN.

I don't see any triumphs of good over evil on the horizon.

I'm not sure what you want Charter to do. Offer the Big Ten with expanded Basic? That would be great for us, but they aren't gonna do it. Their marketing tells them that premium tier is drastically to their advantage.

Why should we take the Big Ten's side against Charter? Charter wanted to carry the network from day 1 as a premium channel.

I guess it is wishful thinking that we'll get something for free. And if it somehow happens, hip-hip-horrrah. I think the "evil", if there is any, is just the greed of the Universities. The BTN idea ultimately gouges the fans.

I want it on expanded basic

At this point I'm just a bitching; it's almost a foregone conclusion that I will leave Charter. They are crap

Harlan Huckleby
11-13-2007, 08:55 PM
Yes, and that quote is from a Cable mouthpiece if I'm not mistaken. I've got a bridge to sell to anybody who believes that.

If cable were dying, they would make a deal.

I don't think that many people miss badger games enough to make a switch.

Bretsky
11-13-2007, 08:57 PM

If cable is dying, they would make a deal.

I don't think that many people miss badger games enough to make a switch.

I'll make the switch because of the NFL Network

With Charter's lack of negotiating with the BTN and NFL, to me that shows their arrogance. Coupled with their crappy customers service, they are just bad people IMO

I wish the ATT would get to me soon; I'd jump there in a second.