PDA

View Full Version : Running game

wist43
11-12-2007, 08:06 PM
Hey everybody... haven't been around in a while due to a broken foot and ankle. Just had a second surgery a couple weeks ago - things like this sure are harder the older ya get.

If this is beating a dead horse... sorry, like I said, haven't been around.

Broke down the Minnesota game a little bit... all of the credit for a good showing in the running game has to go to McCarthy and Favre.

The game plan was outstanding in creating confusion for Minnesota. In a game where these kinds of things don't work, we'd all be screaming about how McCarthy is trying to be "cute"; but, in this game, Minnesota wasn't prepared for any of it.

The shovel passes, given that they originate out of the backfield, are effectively runs, the wing-T formation, running weak side, the direct snap to Grant, etc. kept Minnesota off balance most of the game. The Vikings did manage to eventually shut off the outside, but by then the game had been decided. Henderson having a bad game helped the stat line.

None of that is possible w/o Favre... he's the straw that stirs the drink. McCarthy has him playing smart football, the line has been protecting him fairly well, w/o having to max protect all the time.

It's been a fun season so far...

Bretsky
11-12-2007, 08:08 PM
Good to see my favorite Nick Barnett apologist back :lol:
Ready to admit he is a Pro Bowl caliber player yet ? :wink:

Hope you are feeling better,
B

falco
11-12-2007, 08:08 PM
you know, i think if we are going to win the dallas game it will be because our gameplan. MM has done a good job so far - can he exploit the cowboys?

the_idle_threat
11-12-2007, 08:12 PM
Hey everybody... haven't been around in a while due to a broken foot and ankle. Just had a second surgery a couple weeks ago - things like this sure are harder the older ya get.

Well I understand the emotion that comes with the Pack blowing the Bears game at home, again, but you really shouldn't have kicked the televison!

Now, in all due seriousness, I hope you're better sooner rather than later.

Tony Oday
11-12-2007, 08:48 PM
Wist I just talked to TT and he said hope you get better ;)

good to see you and Im glad your prognostications about the Pack were wrong :)

RashanGary
11-12-2007, 08:55 PM
Great call on Bigby, Wist. You saw his physical play from the get go.

Welcome back.

BallHawk
11-12-2007, 09:02 PM

Anybody starting to think that Wist and Rastak are the same person?

oregonpackfan
11-12-2007, 09:07 PM
Sorry to learn you are having foot and ankle problems, Wist. I have "Been there."

Twice I had surgery on my left foot for a neuroma. I know what it is like to be laid up, and/or on crutches. Because I had a stick shift car, I couldn't use my left foot for the clutch. Fortunately, my late father-in-law was willing to trade cars with me, even though his car was much nicer than mine.

Keep your spirits up. Your body will heal in time.

OPF

Rastak
11-12-2007, 09:12 PM

I didn't have two surgeries so wist43 seemed to have really f'd it up.

How'd you do that wist?

Carolina_Packer
11-12-2007, 09:37 PM

If this is beating a dead horse... sorry, like I said, haven't been around.

Broke down the Minnesota game a little bit... all of the credit for a good showing in the running game has to go to McCarthy and Favre.

The game plan was outstanding in creating confusion for Minnesota. In a game where these kinds of things don't work, we'd all be screaming about how McCarthy is trying to be "cute"; but, in this game, Minnesota wasn't prepared for any of it.

The shovel passes, given that they originate out of the backfield, are effectively runs, the wing-T formation, running weak side, the direct snap to Grant, etc. kept Minnesota off balance most of the game. The Vikings did manage to eventually shut off the outside, but by then the game had been decided. Henderson having a bad game helped the stat line.

None of that is possible w/o Favre... he's the straw that stirs the drink. McCarthy has him playing smart football, the line has been protecting him fairly well, w/o having to max protect all the time.

It's been a fun season so far...

Get better soon, guy. What do you think? Does it feel like '96?

wist43
11-12-2007, 09:46 PM
Good to see my favorite Nick Barnett apologist back :lol:
Ready to admit he is a Pro Bowl caliber player yet ? :wink:

Hope you are feeling better,
B

Name one instance, just one!!!!! in which I've disparaged the good name of Nick Barnett!!!!! :)

He's having a great year... nothing to bitch about. Defensive line has been very good, very tough... I thought they'd be good, but they're playing lights out football, makes everyone behind them look good. I'll give Barnett his due though, he's played well.

wist43
11-12-2007, 10:06 PM

How'd you do that wist?

Two seperate things actually, I broke my foot trying to catch the friggin cat, whom had slipped out when I opened the door for the pizza delivery guy; and the ankle I broke 12 years ago and never got it tended to; so, as I got older, it had become enough of a problem that I needed to address it.

Being hobbled sucks... but on the bright side, I've watched every movie ever made, but don't remember any of them b/c of the pain meds. :)

MJZiggy
11-12-2007, 10:34 PM
Since when do you type with your feet? You really should put that on youtube... :lol:

You and Favre and your ankle surgeries. Hope you come back as well as he did. btw, did you catch the cat?

wist43
11-12-2007, 11:14 PM

How'd you do that wist?

So, Rastak, you haven't been around either??? What happened to you???

Sorry bout Sunday...

Partial
11-12-2007, 11:18 PM
Wist, how do you feel about Corey Williams? Has he warranted an extension? I personally think it'd be a mistake to let him go despite the depth. Besides Kampman, I am having a difficult time determining who the second best player is on the line. I think they gotta lock him up because if they lose him they lose a versatile guy who gets great penetration from the inside.

It might cost 'em a lot, but its worth it after seeing the results of 4 quarters of solid pressure.

oregonpackfan
11-13-2007, 12:12 AM
Wist said, "I'll give Barnett his due though, he's played well."

Praise the Lord! Miracles do happen! :D

wist43
11-13-2007, 11:13 AM
Wist, how do you feel about Corey Williams? Has he warranted an extension? I personally think it'd be a mistake to let him go despite the depth. Besides Kampman, I am having a difficult time determining who the second best player is on the line. I think they gotta lock him up because if they lose him they lose a versatile guy who gets great penetration from the inside.

It might cost 'em a lot, but its worth it after seeing the results of 4 quarters of solid pressure.

Williams is a vital cog IMO, and should have already been extended... the catch will be if TT thinks Harrell can step in w/o missing a beat. We certainly haven't seen any evidence to indicate that, but TT took a lot of heat for the Harrell pick, and might feel the need to justify it by letting Williams walk.

If Williams does resign, where would Harrell fit??? Can't see Harrell moving Williams, Jolly, or Pickett out of the rotation.

Maybe he resigns Williams with the expectation that Pickett will be gone... anyway you slice it, I want to keep Williams.

Tarlam!
11-13-2007, 11:21 AM
If Williams does resign, where would Harrell fit??? Can't see Harrell moving Williams, Jolly, or Pickett out of the rotation.

Maybe he resigns Williams with the expectation that Pickett will be gone... anyway you slice it, I want to keep Williams.

You know I bow to your prowess of knowing good defensive football players, and, after I had supported NB avidly for three year you finally had me convinced he was a bum. Then he turns around and play pro bowl-like ball!

Now you would have me believe TT used a first round pick on Harrell and that Harrell will not provide an upgrade next year? Sorry Wisty, I aint buying it. Harrell will become the signature of this D-Line as early as next year. Inn TT I trust.

I still would sign Williams, though!!

HarveyWallbangers
11-13-2007, 11:27 AM
We haven't seen Harrell much, but we didn't see Jolly much last year and he's made tremendous strides in his second year. I have hope. Imagine if he pans out like Jolly. Then, we'd have three good run stuffing studs in the middle. I like that depth. Good rotation, and if one goes down, you have yourself covered.

swede
11-13-2007, 12:07 PM
I broke my foot trying to catch the friggin cat

I don't have as much trouble reaching the cats in my neighborhood since I put a scope on my rifle.

I think you're right that MM and Philbin are finding ways to scheme their way into an effective running game, and the success of Favre and the passing attack helps as well.

And if Barnett keeps playing this way he may never get another jaywalking ticket in Green Bay again.

Partial
11-13-2007, 12:09 PM

Williams is a vital cog IMO, and should have already been extended... the catch will be if TT thinks Harrell can step in w/o missing a beat. We certainly haven't seen any evidence to indicate that, but TT took a lot of heat for the Harrell pick, and might feel the need to justify it by letting Williams walk.

Same here. I don't think you can let Williams go based on an unknown player behind him. Jolly and Pickett are very solid, but having that dynamite third guy in that rotation really helps keep them fresh. Plus, if they have an injury at DE they don't need to start KGB if they resign him.

No matter how you slice it, I want him back. If Harrell turns out to be a stud, then fine, trade him then. But, until then, it would be very unwise to let him walk.

wist43
11-13-2007, 01:40 PM

You know I bow to your prowess of knowing good defensive football players, and, after I had supported NB avidly for three year you finally had me convinced he was a bum. Then he turns around and play pro bowl-like ball!

Now you would have me believe TT used a first round pick on Harrell and that Harrell will not provide an upgrade next year? Sorry Wisty, I aint buying it. Harrell will become the signature of this D-Line as early as next year. Inn TT I trust.

I still would sign Williams, though!!

Hey Tar, how are things on the other side of the pond??? Did you come over for the PR game??? I've missed out on a lot in the last couple months.

Barnett hasn't been doing any of things I've criticized him for in the past... it's that simple. Do things right, I'm a happy camper.

I can live with a team getting beat b/c of a talent gap, but I have no tolerance for stupid football... and heretofor, Barnett had been a stupid, unistinctive football player.

This year, he's playing well - very well actually... last year he played ok. Two years... we may have a trend starting. :roll:

Joemailman
11-13-2007, 09:55 PM
Back to the running game. The interior OL has been in flux all year due to injuries to Wells and Spitz. Last Sunday was only the second game this year that the Pack has had their starting OL intact. I'm hoping that a little more cohesiveness on the OL, as well as the fact that Grant is now the established RB, will lead to some consistency in the running game. If it does, I think the Pack is as good as Dallas.