PDA

View Full Version : Hawk Nearly a Saint...

pbmax
05-11-2006, 01:51 PM
...if Reggie's family hadn't been getting freebies already.

from profootballtalk.com

MARIO WOULD HAVE FALLEN TO FOURTH

Another intriguing nugget on which we recently stumbled was that defensive end Mario Williams expected in the days prior to the draft to be taken not by the Saints at No. 2, but by the Jets at No. 4.

This expectation gave Williams an even greater incentive to ink a deal with the Texans to become the first overall pick.

Most assumed that Williams would be drafted by the Saints at No. 2, if the Texans took Bush at No. 1. But we're now told that in the days prior to the draft, the Saints opted to focus on Hawk instead of Williams.

So if the Texans had stayed with Bush, Hawk would have gone No. 2 to the Saints, Vince Young would have been taken at No. 3 by the Titans, Williams would have gone to the Jets at No. 4, and the Packers likely would have selected tackle D'Brickashaw Ferguson at No. 5.

The Jets, we heard, would have tried to develop Williams into a Richard Seymour-type fixture in their new 3-4 scheme.

++++++++++++++++++

I can't imagine the Packers taking D'Brick, although their greatest need outside of LBs was O Line, and a future Left Tackle makes sense as a first round pick. He was also rated ahead of Davis on the draft grades I saw. This would have required ALOT of explaining. I can see why Ted was worried about the Saints now.

swede
05-11-2006, 01:57 PM
I'll tell you what. I don't have any trouble buying this.

Remember TT didn't think Hawk was a reach--he wasn't considering trading out of the pick-- and he literally said he was "praying" that Hawk would still be there for us at #5.

The Leaper
05-11-2006, 03:35 PM
The scenario where New Orleans took Hawk scared me to death. Personally, I'm not convinced Vernon Davis is the next great TE...and I'm also not too high on grabbing a OT who isn't a sure fire elite talent with the #5 overall pick. Trading down wasn't much of an option...since Oakland and Detroit has chances to take either Cutler or Leinart further down the board and still passed, and I doubt anyone was going to trade up for anyone else.

Thank you Texans...for being cheap and refusing to take the best player in the draft merely because it was easier signing Mario Williams.

Harlan Huckleby
05-11-2006, 05:47 PM
Packers did very well for themselves at the #5 pick. Hawk is an elite player.

I still wish they would have thrown the last game, tho.

Joemailman
05-11-2006, 06:07 PM
Hawk nearly a Saint? He hasn't played a game, and already people are comparing him to Vince. :D

retailguy
05-11-2006, 06:32 PM

While I don't disagree with the view that Hawk can be a great player (can we let him suit up before we elect him to the HOF?), name ONE outside linebacker in this league that is regarded as highly as Ray Lewis, Brian Urlacher, or Julian Peterson?

I'm not saying that there are not FANTASTIC outside backers in this league, but what outside backer gets "elite" status?

Hawk is going to be good, most likely, but please take some pressure off the boy. His position doesn't make "elite" status very frequently....

I'm VERY glad they didn't throw the last game. While it was a meaningless outcome, it would have sent a VERY BAD MESSAGE to the team, the league, and the fans.

SkinBasket
05-11-2006, 07:00 PM
While I don't disagree with the view that Hawk can be a great player (can we let him suit up before we elect him to the HOF?), name ONE outside linebacker in this league that is regarded as highly as Ray Lewis, Brian Urlacher, or Julian Peterson?

You could say the same thing about DEs if you pick the top three and compare them to Mario.

K-town
05-11-2006, 07:23 PM

Um, Derrick Brooks? Also, isn't Peterson an OLB? And Peterson's been hurt for the last couple of years. If we count him as an elite player with these parameters, then we'd have to also include Lavar Arrington, wouldn't we?
Takeo Spikes?

Harlan Huckleby
05-11-2006, 07:39 PM
I'm not saying that there are not FANTASTIC outside backers in this league, but what outside backer gets "elite" status?

I should have said "prospect", not "player". I think that the first 6 players taken in the draft are top shelf, and the packers did well to draft at #5.

esoxx
05-11-2006, 08:16 PM

Hawk has proved to be an elite college player. Like anyone else, let's see how he makes the transition to the NFL. I'll settle for very good.

Chubbyhubby
05-11-2006, 08:24 PM

Hawk has proved to be an elite college player. Like anyone else, let's see how he makes the transition to the NFL. I'll settle for very good.

I agree we should wait until the season starts in Sept to judge. He was an elite college player, that doesn't always mean a star in the NFL.

retailguy
05-11-2006, 08:36 PM
You could say the same thing about DEs if you pick the top three and compare them to Mario.

Yes, I agree. Lets all enjoy the rookies play a little bit before we annoint him...

retailguy
05-11-2006, 08:44 PM
Um, Derrick Brooks?

I was waiting for this one. Brooks gets nowhere near the press the others get. Maybe because he plays in TB, but...?

Also, isn't Peterson an OLB?

I know he is supposed to play weakside in Seattle's 3-4 this year, however I don't follow the 49'ers and always thought he was in the middle.

And Peterson's been hurt for the last couple of years. If we count him as an elite player with these parameters, then we'd have to also include Lavar Arrington, wouldn't we?
Takeo Spikes?

My point wasn't whether or not someone was hurt, my point was that the guys in the middle get the most attention. I happen to think that the "value" of a LB is dependent upon the "value" of the DL, especially the DT's, but if Hawk plays to the level of any of the guys you mentioned, or I mentioned, I'll be VERY happy.

RashanGary
05-11-2006, 09:09 PM
Hawk should be very, very good. He's got the physical skills and if you listen to him talk you'd think he was a 7th round pick working as hard as possible just to make the team. He's humble and that goes a long way when you're as physically skilled as Hawk is. You really don't find that too often.

b bulldog
05-11-2006, 09:11 PM
Hard to say anything negative about Hawk but as stated above, the pads will do the talking.

b bulldog
05-11-2006, 09:29 PM
Jimmy Johnson stated that Hodge could be the steal of the draft.

retailguy
05-11-2006, 09:34 PM
Jimmy Johnson stated that Hodge could be the steal of the draft.

He could be, IF, he is humbled by his fall, and works harder than those who did not fall.

Question becomes, WHERE does he play? Can he play on the weak side, or do they move Barnett?

I really, really like this pick. He was a GREAT value where he was picked.

RashanGary
05-11-2006, 10:23 PM
http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e331/e_mailbob/hawk2.jpg

RashanGary
05-11-2006, 10:23 PM
oops...testing..testing one two three...

Guiness
05-11-2006, 11:01 PM

Why? So they could sit in third, still take Hawk, and pay him more? I think they did better where they were.

Unless, of course, they would've landed in second. I don't know how the tie breakers work...

GrnBay007
05-12-2006, 12:36 AM
Hard to say anything negative about Hawk but as stated above, the pads will do the talking.

....and if he walks the walk, we can issue him his first set of green and gold wings! :razz: