PDA

View Full Version : Larry McCarren Chat

motife
05-11-2006, 05:07 PM
paul, mason city,ia.: Dear Larry,please help me understand why the packers don't seem too interested in a versatile lineman like Ross Verba. If he is healthy and works out well as he claims he could be a reliable backup to Clifton at left tackle or a possible starter and veteran presence at right guard. As it is now an injured Klehm is Cliftons backup and he showed he could not play guard so how can he be relied upon to play a more important and difficult left tackle. In addition all three interior line positions will be manned and backed up by rookies or inexperienced lineman like Barry, Coston, and an incapable Whitaker. Why not release Klehm and Whitaker and bring in Verba, a much more accomplished player?

LM: Paul, I wasn't privy to Verba's visit and/or workout, but I can tell you he can be a loose cannon. He went down to Dallas for a workout last season and after every test (you know, the cones, 40, etc.) he'd holler "aced it." Then after the tests were through, he hollers "show me the money." Then Parcells asks Marco Rivera why he didn't tell him that Verba was crazy. Regardless, he used to be a pretty good player at either guard or tackle and if he's still that player he could certainly help the Packers. It does take two to tango contract wise and who knows what a guy who's known to be a little nuts is asking. And then there's that matter of being a little nuts.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

John, Philly, PA: Which part, in your opinion, of the Packers' team will be most improved this upcoming season, and why?

LM: John, linebackers. With Hawk and Barnett, it'll be a race to the ball.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bob, San Antonio: An "Honest" reply is appreciated. Do the Packers at the present time have the lineman in place to field a respectful unit, not like the make shift group of last year

LM: Bob, I honestly won't know until somebody has to actually "hit" somebody, but neither Klemm or Whittacker were the answer at guard and still aren't. Both are more suited to play tackle although if William is to make it in this system, he's got to get lighter so that he'll be able to adjust to movement on the run. Klemm needs to get more physical, period, but he's got a chance as a tackle in this system. Inside, Daryn Colledge looks like he can be a player. He's an athlete, first impression he pays attention to detail, and he's got terrific knee bend. They had him lined up at LG with the #1 offense at mini-camp. If he stays there, remember he's still a rookie and won't be perfect. And please don't join the comparing him to Mike Wahle club. Colledge is a rookie, Wahle is an All-Pro. The other starting guard was Junius Coston, a fifth rounder last year. He's got some ability and I liked the way he worked last season even though he wasn't going to play on Sunday. Seemed like he cared about getting better. Kevin Barry is a candidate at guard as well but he's got to loose some weight and show the new staff he's serious about being a starter in a system that puts a little less emphasis on sheer size and mass and more on athleticism.

Nelson, Gaithersburg, MD: Which new additions excite you the most?

LM: Nelson, Hawk can fly, Colledge has the tools to play, Jennings really looks polished for a rookie, I like Hodge's attitude (LB's don't get to hit anybody at Mini-camps), I wondered about Spitz during drills but when it was "team" he looked better, Rodgers and Blackmon look the part, no more midgets at WR and CB, and Tollefson reminds me a little bit of Poppinga who's a good player. Those are the guys I noticed in one way or another at the minicamp, it doesn't mean the other picks can't play, it just means I didn't get a chance to watch them a bunch. One other note, Charles Woodson moves with the quiet confidence that only the guys who are blessed with great ability have. Seemed to be around the ball a lot.

Jay, Cary, NC: Do you think at some point in this season Barnett will be moved to the outside and Hodge will be inserted into the MLB spot?

LM: Jay, it's a possibility if Hodge is clearly their third best LB and the only postion he can play is Mike. The Packers and Barnett have invested a lot of time and effort in him playing the middle and I don't think a change would be made without a lot of thought.

Mad Dog, East Texas: Larry- I know you were a personal friend of Mike Sherman and he was clearly a good coach, but in my opinion he made three fatal mistakes. 1 hiring Donatell to run the defense. 2. Replacing him with Slowik. (I know there a stats to say they had good qualities, but they were sock puppets who put the weakest most non tackling non hitting players on the field. They were both beyond embarrassing) 3. trading a draft pick to move up in the third to get Sanders. forget the fact that sanders is barely average, the signal sent on that move was defense is just a small part of the game. My question is did you ever offer an opinion to him your thoughts on the defense and the second part of the question is to you at the very least sense McCarthy values tough hard hitting physical defenses as oppossed to the doormats we had to endure over the last 5 years? Personally I was absolutely thrilled to see Sherman replaced but at the same time I can't remember a more class act person than Sherman was, but he refused to have tough defenses.

LM: Mad Dog, Actually, I thought Donatell's defenses were pretty decent, ranking respectably and taking the ball away a lot. I did ask Mike one time if Slowik had enough "fire" for the job. He defended him at the time but later admitted that perhaps he didn't. I also thought that problem was solved by Jim Bates and his style. (Did you forget about him?) To this day, Mike will tell you that Slowik is one of the best teachers in the game. It just didn't work with him as coordinator. Some of Mike's GM decisions did haunt him and Sander may wind up being another skeleton in that closet. I don't know if he's consistent but that Jon Ryan kid can really boom the ball - thunder leg. Of course Mike McCarthy values a physical hard hitting defense. EVERY coach does, sometimes it works out and sometimes it doesn't but no coach in the history of the Packers has comes in and said I'm hoping to field a defensive unit with a lot of pansies and soft players on it. It'll keep the games close and interesting.

Richard , Oshkosh, WI: Larry, We don't have a veteran QB behind Brett. There really isn't one other than Collins out there and I've heard he wants starting QB money. Are we OK with what we have?

LM: Richard, Aaron Rodgers really played well at the mini-camp and I would think the Packer braintrust is resting easier when it comes to having a veteran, veteran QB on the roster.

Mike, Ames, IA: Larry - I enjoyed watching you play and appreciate your honest opinions on the Packers. Although I think I can probably imagine, what are your thoughts on the deal Javon Walker is going to sign with the Broncos?

LM: Mike, I didn't see any good coming out of hanging on to Walker and going through another Mike Mckenzie situation. It would be hanging over the organization's collective head all season long. I thought Ted Thompson made the best of a tough situation and got what he could. You might call it Peace with Honor. I used to be hardline about this kind of stuff but I changed my tune after Mckenzie. Just didn't like how that thing eventually went down.

Wise Guy, Troup Texas: Larry, I watched all the videotaped interviews at packers.com just to see if anyone stood out. Hawk handles himself well, but the two things that jumped out at me were Colladge (sp?) and Hodge. Colladge to me just seems to have a natural confidence and seems like he would be a leader if his talent pans out. The other was Hodge. Man he seems very intense and all football. If his talent matches his intensity, Thompson might have a mid round homerun. did anyone jump out you for any reason at all out of the rookies and undrafted FA's.

LM: Wise Guy, I thought all the rookies I personally interviewed passed the "decent kid" test with flying colors. No idiots in the bunch and that's a good thing to be able to say about a draft class.

John, Philly: Ok Larry, I realize now that my last question was too easy, I'm going to try another. Brett said that he doesn't need to change his style of play from last season. Does he really believe that? If so, are we going to see another 29 interceptions this season?

LM: John, I can't speak for Brett, but if you'd permit some speculation. Nobody wants him to change his style, it's what makes Brett Brett. However, he can change some of the decisions he makes. You can go for the throat with the precision of an axe-murderer or a surgeon. We need a lot more surgeon and a lot less axe murderer. I know I may be splitting hairs here but I think Brett can play his game and still make good decisions while doing so. This answer is sounding dumber by the minute so I'll cut my losses now - I hope you get what I'm trying to say - even though I'm saying it very poorly.

Powerball, Texas: Larry, a few sportswriters have said over and over football is won with two or three superstars on the team. You need 4 studs and 49 "just guys" an you are a contender. Do you share that opinion. I understand the needing of some top shelf players, but don't you need more than 49 interchangeable parts and along those lines, how many bad untalented players are in the NFL anyhow. I thought at that level, you were pretty much a good player. And finally, how important is coaching really? I find it important but am I just being naive?

LM: Power, I think many games are decided by the difference-makers - those special players who have the ability to make special plays. In that regard, it's up to the rest of the guys to keep their team in position so that its difference-makers can make a difference. Obviously, the more talented the rest of the guys, the better, as they'll do a better job of keeping the table set for the Brett's and Reggie's of the world. This concept isn't hard and fast and there's plenty of gray matter in it, but generally speaking, a lot of guys from team to team are pretty much the same, and winning and losing boils down to what the special guys do. Coaching is critical for a couple reasons, football is probably the ultimate people business, and everybody has a comfort level, and almost everybody needs to be prodded out of it to perform to the absolute best of their ability. Mike McCarthy has got any interesting take on the situation. He says, it's coach's job to teach and demand, it's the player's job to prepare and perform. Kind of sums it up rather well.

Harlan Huckleby
05-11-2006, 05:29 PM
I don't always like McCarren as a radio announcer, he talks too much. But I do respect his opinions about football players. McCarren reminds me a lot of another former NFL Center, Dan Dierdorf.

Harlan Huckleby
05-11-2006, 05:33 PM
LM: Mike, I didn't see any good coming out of hanging on to Walker and going through another Mike Mckenzie situation. It would be hanging over the organization's collective head all season long. I thought Ted Thompson made the best of a tough situation and got what he could. You might call it Peace with Honor. I used to be hardline about this kind of stuff but I changed my tune after Mckenzie. Just didn't like how that thing eventually went down.

I totally agree with McCarren's take. I was all for Sherman hanging-tough against McKEnzie at the time. But I learned from the situation.

b bulldog
05-11-2006, 09:28 PM
Anybody go to the lockerroom show?

billy_oliver880
05-12-2006, 12:10 AM
I don't always like McCarren as a radio announcer, he talks too much. But I do respect his opinions about football players. McCarren reminds me a lot of another former NFL Center, Dan Dierdorf.

Still is better then the MNF crew. I would take him any day over them.

KYPack
05-12-2006, 07:58 AM
I'm almost perpetually worried about the offensive line.

Those were great comments on Verba.

Now it makes sense why he hasn't signed anywhere.

That said, let's sign him.

"He can be a loose cannon. He went down to Dallas for a workout last season and after every test (you know, the cones, 40, etc.) he'd holler "aced it." Then after the tests were through, he hollers "show me the money." Then Parcells asks Marco Rivera why he didn't tell him that Verba was crazy. Regardless, he used to be a pretty good player at either guard or tackle and if he's still that player he could certainly help the Packers. It does take two to tango contract wise and who knows what a guy who's known to be a little nuts is asking. And then there's that matter of being a little nuts."

So, he's goofy. So are about 40% of the players in the NFL. We need somebody who can play guard and tackle. Sit Verb's ass down and give him a little man talkin'. He's broke and bored, if you keep a tight rein on him, he'll calm down.

Maybe he still wants megabucks, but we have enough room to give him a decent paycheck, let's add this wacky boy to our roster.

Deputy Nutz
05-12-2006, 09:41 AM
John, Philly: Ok Larry, I realize now that my last question was too easy, I'm going to try another. Brett said that he doesn't need to change his style of play from last season. Does he really believe that? If so, are we going to see another 29 interceptions this season?

LM: John, I can't speak for Brett, but if you'd permit some speculation. Nobody wants him to change his style, it's what makes Brett Brett. However, he can change some of the decisions he makes. You can go for the throat with the precision of an axe-murderer or a surgeon. We need a lot more surgeon and a lot less axe murderer. I know I may be splitting hairs here but I think Brett can play his game and still make good decisions while doing so. This answer is sounding dumber by the minute so I'll cut my losses now - I hope you get what I'm trying to say - even though I'm saying it very poorly.

Actually Larry, you hit the nail on the head with Brett's play. Give yourself a little credit.