PDA

View Full Version : What defines a good person

Partial
11-13-2007, 11:03 PM
What is the difference between a good person and a not good person? Is there a drawn line or set criteria? What do you look for in a person?

Harlan Huckleby
11-13-2007, 11:46 PM
Mostly you like or dislike people. And then you see the people you enjoy as "good" because you are biased in their favor.

I know a very small number of seemingly always big-hearted people. Most people are lovely when circumstances and environment favor it - hard to find a huggable person in Chicago traffic.

the_idle_threat
11-14-2007, 12:22 AM
I dunno ... I wouldn't know a good person if he/she came up and kicked me in the nuts. And that would probably make them a bad person, which further confuses the issue.

3irty1
11-14-2007, 01:05 AM
Thats a really deep question. Why are you asking?

the_idle_threat
11-14-2007, 01:23 AM
Giving this some thought, I can suggest the following:

The "good" people I've known are those who see beyond the pursuit of their own happiness, and are considerate of the happiness of others in addition to their own. And by others, I mean not just loved ones, but complete strangers too.

This does not mean spending all of their time working for charity; it's much more about the little things---courtesy, respect, putting a smile on people's faces, a helping hand when called for, etc.

But then again, for all I know, the "good" people I've known could have bodies buried in their basements, so you never know. They could, but I doubt it.

Deputy Nutz
11-14-2007, 08:52 AM
He has to write a paper for his philosophy class.

Well here is a story I like to tell, On Sunday just minutes from the Packer game I had to run to the grocery store to get a few things. On my way out I went to put the cart in the corall, and I noticed that some lady had left her purse in the cart. I asked the only other female in the parking lot and she had her purse. Now I am in a hurry, I want to get home, besides it is always fun to look inside someone elses purse, take the money out and spend it on yourself, but I didn't do that, hell I didn't even leave it for someone else to dig through, I took it back inside the store and took it to the service counter, costing myself several needed minutes, but I did it anyways because for once I thought of another person. Am I a good person because I did that? well I guess it cancels out the time in high school where I found a wallet with a hundred bucks in it and spent it on a limo and beer.

Harlan Huckleby
11-14-2007, 09:18 AM
I found a wallet with a hundred bucks in it and spent it on a limo and beer.

I'd say you're little behind still, but keep up the good work. :D

I did hear a simple definition of character that makes a lot of sense: it's how you behave when nobody is watching.

Even helping an old lady across the street has a payback - typically the old bag says you are a nice boy, and that makes you feel better about yourself.

IF you go back and return an extra $5 in change that you notice after leaving the McDonald's drive through, you are a good person. (I failed this test recently. :) )

pacfan
11-14-2007, 10:59 AM
Packer fan=good

Viking fan=bad

I would also submit a waiver for Rastak, while he "claims" an alliance to the purple, he displays Packer tendencies.

oregonpackfan
11-14-2007, 12:25 PM
A good person "Pays it forward."

I also support the quote from a poster "Character is what you do when no one is watching you."

MadtownPacker
11-14-2007, 02:29 PM
I am a bad person. Harlan is a good person.

Yes, it's really that simple.

Harlan Huckleby
11-14-2007, 02:45 PM
no it's not that simple. you are good sometimes too.

BTW, shame on me for neglecting to mention that I like your new avatar.

Scott Campbell
11-14-2007, 05:02 PM
What is the difference between a good person and a not good person? Is there a drawn line or set criteria? What do you look for in a person?

Fortunately they come marked for your convenience.

Good wear:

http://images.footballfanatics.com/productImages/_141000/FF_141946_s.jpg

Bad wear:

http://static.zoovy.com/img/cubworld/W150-H112-Bffffff/C/chicago_bears_navy_slouch.jpg

Scott Campbell
11-14-2007, 05:03 PM

Only a bad person would say Harlan is a good person.

Joemailman
11-14-2007, 05:10 PM

Only a bad person would judge another person, therefore you are a bad person.

Scott Campbell
11-14-2007, 05:32 PM

Only a bad person would judge another person, therefore you are a bad person.

No argument here Mr. Wapner.

oregonpackfan
11-14-2007, 06:11 PM
I am a bad person.

Don't you PackerRats believe that Madtown is a bad person.

Not once during the PR Gathering did I feel compelled to tell MJZiggy, GBRulz, or PIP to take him aside and kick his butt! :)

SkinBasket
11-14-2007, 08:31 PM
Anyone who claims to be a good person (especially a generous person) is not.

Most who think they are good people aren't really.

A lot of people who don't think they're good enough or haven't done enough are and have.

The rest are tired of your fucking questions and hate you too much to answer.