PDA

View Full Version : Regarding wishing injuries on NFL players.....

Iron Mike
11-14-2007, 07:55 AM
Pot, meet kettle:

http://www.charlotte.com/panthers/story/361952.html

The Panthers probably need to hope that Favre, who is playing far better than in the past couple of seasons, tweaks a knee or something and has to sit out. Nothing serious, just something to keep him from trotting out there and facing Carolina. Don't expect it to happen; although he took a shot to the head late in the third quarter Sunday, he's fine, and has played a record 246 consecutive games.

What's with the current wishes for player injuries???

:roll:

MJZiggy
11-14-2007, 08:02 AM
That was in a STORY?? Good Lord!!

Cheesehead Craig
11-14-2007, 08:06 AM
In other words, they don't feel they have a chance in hell of winning.

This is no big deal, IMO. You see this all the time when a mediocre team is going to play a real good one.

"Nothing to see here you bunch of looky-loos!"
http://www.public.asu.edu/~mverdic/pics/barbrady.JPG

Iron Mike
11-14-2007, 08:19 AM

This is no big deal, IMO. You see this all the time when a mediocre team is going to play a real good one.

I'm guessing you missed all of the drama between Rastak and Justin Harrel??? :whist:

Deputy Nutz
11-14-2007, 08:55 AM
This whole injured player thing is bullshit and some on here are full of shit, each week we look at the opposing teams injjury report and we breath a sigh of relieve that the other team's star player is listed as doubtful or even questionable. The bottom line is wins and I will take them any way I can get them.

Cheesehead Craig
11-14-2007, 08:59 AM

I'm guessing you missed all of the drama between Rastak and Justin Harrel??? :whist:
No, just ignoring it.

Harlan Huckleby
11-14-2007, 09:08 AM

Did they call each other poopy heads? Damn, I missed it too.

packinpatland
11-14-2007, 09:14 AM
Then you've got Belichick who puts 1/2 his starters on the 'probable' or 'doubtful' list. Brady's been on it most of the season!

footballfever
11-14-2007, 09:30 AM
I think JH's perception was a little misconstrued....... I don't think there is any harm in wishing injury on a team, we aren't wishing death or anything. This is a savage sport and it comes with a lot of injuries. I saw an interview once with Deacon Jones, he said he hated every single person on the field and he hated himself for doing it. But it made him play like a man possessed, he was one of the best players to ever play the game. When you go out there you're not supposed to pussy foot around and say golly I sure hope this sumbitch im goin up against here doesn't break an ankle or a nail. You go out there and you smash each other in the mouth and whoever stays down the other wins. It's like watching boxing and cheering like mad but when the guy that loses goes down you chastise the people for cheering. It's hyprocritical. Adrian Peterson is only one on a long list of individuals who have left games against us injured. One person cheering for that isn't the end of the world. Adrian Peterson only makes 20 million dollars of guarunteed money, oh what a shame if he can't finish out the year and make another 10 million in incentives. He tore a ligament in his knee its a common injury and I sure as hell wasn't sad to see him go down. The hit was clean and legal and the injury was bound to happen with AP's running style. So get over it and lets hope steve smith breaks something :twisted:

Partial
11-14-2007, 09:45 AM
^ go figure :roll:

HarveyWallbangers
11-14-2007, 09:53 AM
I'd never wish for a player on any team to get injured. If it happens, it happens. Every team gets injuries. However, I wouldn't take any glee out of it. What fun is that? I hope this is the only injury in Peterson's career, and I mean that. (I also hope we beat the hell out of the Vikings for Peterson's entire career.) I'd rather the other team have a healthy squad, so that there's no excuses for when my team wins.

MJZiggy
11-14-2007, 10:17 AM
I'd never wish for a player on any team to get injured. If it happens, it happens. Every team gets injuries. However, I wouldn't take any glee out of it. What fun is that? I hope this is the only injury in Peterson's career, and I mean that. (I also hope we beat the hell out of the Vikings for Peterson's entire career.) I'd rather the other team have a healthy squad, so that there's no excuses for when my team wins.

I agree with all of this, but I'd take it even a step further. Although these are football teams and players that we wish to conquer each week, they still remain human beings, and although they do make millions of dollars to play a violent sport in which injury often happens, I believe the goal remains to conquer not to maim. It is a very short trip from the injury that Peterson suffered to tearing a knee up that will cost a player his career (and those millions of dollars) and have him in pain the rest of his life. And from there, it's not too far removed from Kevin Everett and still hoping he'll walk again someday. He will not see the rest of his contract. He will never play again, but in the grand scheme of things, his health is more important than the contract. This is why the stadium goes quiet when a player goes down. This is why players that celebrate injury are looked down upon as low-class turds. It's because beyond being a football player, the guy laying on the turf is a fellow human being and that is more important.

Carolina_Packer
11-14-2007, 10:30 AM
Um, yeah. I realize that football is not pairs skating, and I know the possibility for injury exists, but I've never felt glad a guy got hurt. Do I love a good hit? Who doesn't? I think there's a gap between liking the physicality of a sport like football and being glad an opposing team's player got hurt. There's a reason why they (generally) stop hitting each other after the whistle and after the final gun. It's called sportsmanship and it cuts both ways. Playing hard, tough and physical football is one thing, but feeling ok about the misfortune of another player crosses a line.

The reporter for the Charlotte Observer who wrote the Packer/Panther preview piece was out of bounds for even suggesting such a thing, even jokingly. If you are on a message board shooting off your mouth or sitting on a bar stool that's one thing, but being a reporter...not responsible. If you wish to contact this guy, here is his info:

http://www.charlotte.com/312/index.html

Stan Olson covers the NFL's Carolina Panthers for the Charlotte Observer and also writes about Major League Baseball. Olson is in his 34th year of writing for Charlotte newspapers, 22 of them with the Observer. You can reach him at (704) 358-5114 or e-mail solson@charlotteobserver.com.

packinpatland
11-14-2007, 10:39 AM
I did email him.
Simply said a 'real' sports reporter would not even hint for an injury to an opponent. And furthermore......if that's all he has, if that's the only hope the Panthers have...........then God help them both.

Carolina_Packer
11-14-2007, 10:56 AM
I emailed him and told him that his attempt at ironic humor may not play well, and...

How do you think the Panthers players and coaching
staff will react to your suggestion that they need to
hope Favre gets hurt in order for them to have a
chance?

Yeah, that's just what you want to hear when you are a frustrated team. Good luck to Stan Olson getting player and coaches to answer his questions.

Here was his quick response:
I was kidding. Guess I'll find out today in the locker room...
Stan

HarveyWallbangers
11-14-2007, 11:52 AM
Why are people taking this seriously? The guy basically said that the Panthers have no shot unless Favre got hurt. He didn't say he hoped Favre got hurt.

oregonpackfan
11-14-2007, 12:11 PM
Why are people taking this seriously? The guy basically said that the Panthers have no shot unless Favre got hurt. He didn't say he hoped Favre got hurt.

I agree with Harvey on this matter.

After reading the entire article, I think the reporter was just making a flippant comment about the Panthers' chances of winning a game against an opponent led by Brett Favre. I don't think he seriously wished that Favre would get injured.

Deputy Nutz
11-14-2007, 12:56 PM
I think some of you need to wise up or grow up, injuries are a part of the game, A blown knee or shoulder sucks for any player, but they can walk away with hundreds of thousands of dollars in there pocket, in instances where a player suffers a life altering injury, spinal/head injury type, those are the injuries that make you hit your knees regardless what team that fella is on. Like I said I will clap every time a player is injured and gets up or is removed from the field, but I am not going to waste my time worring about if Adrian Peterson is going to recover in three weeks or 4 weeks.

RashanGary
11-14-2007, 05:01 PM
Good lord, my brother had Cancer at teh age of 20 and had to have chemo/radiation (he spent months suffering and didn't know if he wsa going to live). I broke my arm a few months ago playing paintball. Hardly on the same level of tragedy.

I feel really worried about a guy going down with a life threatening injury. I cry when I hear the up beat attitude of young childeren with cancer. I didn't give a fucking shit when I broke my arm (I didn't even mention it). It was in my elbow, and I had a sling that I was supposed to wear for 6 weeks. I woke up the next day and never wore it again. It hurt a little, but I took a coiuple pain killers and got over it. I was doing pullups 3 weeks later. It took 6 weeks before I could do pushups because I fell with my arm extended and putting weight on it the same way I broke it was not good.

I'm not even trying to be a tough guy, but quit being such a bunch of fucking pussies. A broken arm or torn LCL is not the end of the fucking world and anyone acting high and mighty because they feel empathy for the poor guy that has a minor, non life threatening injury is either trying to look like a great person, trying to convince themselves they are a great person or a complete pussy. It's one of those three things and nothing else. Get a fucking cock and if you have one, why don't you let it influence your pusssy attitudes.

MJZiggy
11-14-2007, 05:10 PM
JH, there's a hell of a difference between being broken up about a lesser injury and cheering for one. I don't think anyone is completely heartbroken about AP's knee; the good news is he'll be fine. But to hope he gets injured and cheer about it when he does is just completely low class. Do you understand the distinction? I agree with Harvey. I hope he never gets hurt again because I want to see him conquered when he's at full strength.

Joemailman
11-14-2007, 05:12 PM

Did they call each other poopy heads? Damn, I missed it too.

Actually, I think Ras called someone a variation of Richard.

Scott Campbell
11-14-2007, 05:12 PM
I hope Harlan gets hemmoroids.

Joemailman
11-14-2007, 05:14 PM
The last 2 weeks, the Packers have knocked out Larry Johnson and Adrian Peterson. Who's next?

Scott Campbell
11-14-2007, 05:15 PM
The last 2 weeks, the Packers have knocked out Larry Johnson and Adrian Peterson. Who's next?

Given Vinny's age and lack of mobility.......

RashanGary
11-14-2007, 05:39 PM
The last time I played tackle football was 3 years ago. I was framing houses at that time, so I was strong from putting my body through 8 hrs of work per day. I used to play touch football with some friends. during the week, I would work out in ways that improved my explosion. I wanted to explode in stop and go situations. I ddidn't tell anyone that I was doing it, I wanted to have an edge because I'm a competitive bastard and I'll train all week so I can beat a couple friends in a game of football. I would limit my calories all week to keep off 5 lbs and then eat an energy meal before I went to play.

Anyway, I was playing with a friend and he decided it might be a good idea to try tackle. He probably had about 50 lbs on me, but I was in great shape at 160. I said he'd probably beat me down, but I'll try. I love physical football. I ended up beating his ass and it felt great. I didn't let up at all. It felt so good to rip him to the ground and hear him grunt as I crashed his body into the ground. At one point, I got up after beating his ass and I thought to myself "did I just growl?". I did. I growled while trying to rip someones head off. HE quite after that and we never played again. Go figure. My hands were shaking. It felt great. I scored every time I got the ball because my ability to start and stop was great and there was now way he could catch me but I didn't care about offense. I love defense.

When I watch football, I feel a little like that. I want the defnese to play mean. I can't explain why, but I just love the physical nature of football and I feel adrenaline watching it.

The neck thing was in bad taste, I did not hope he had a broken neck. I didnt' care if he had an LCL and I still don't. I didnt' care when I broke my arm, why the hell would I feel bad for him?

Scott Campbell
11-14-2007, 05:48 PM
I got up after beating his ass and I thought to myself "did I just growl?". I did. I growled while trying to rip someones head off.

Sounds an awful lot like Roid-Rage Nick. Are you sure you're energy drink didn't come from BALCO?

Partial
11-14-2007, 05:53 PM
Yeah jesus christ, its tackle football without padding. I've done some stupid stuff but everybody knows that you don't go full bore throw your body at somebody elses when you don't have pads.

mraynrand
11-14-2007, 07:27 PM
I got up after beating his ass and I thought to myself "did I just growl?". I did. I growled while trying to rip someones head off.

Sounds an awful lot like Roid-Rage Nick. Are you sure you're energy drink didn't come from BALCO?

Super Soup!

http://deadspin.com/assets/resources/2007/03/romanowskizma.jpg

http://i.cnn.net/si/pr/subs/swimsuit/images/00_bromanowski_01.jpg

http://www.justthinktwice.com/images/steroids/steroid_callout.gif

MadtownPacker
11-14-2007, 08:31 PM
Sounds an awful lot like Roid-Rage Nick. Are you sure you're energy drink didn't come from BALCO?Damn, I seriously started choking when I read this shit!! Good stuff man.

Deputy Nutz
11-14-2007, 08:34 PM
Yeah jesus christ, its tackle football without padding. I've done some stupid stuff but everybody knows that you don't go full bore throw your body at somebody elses when you don't have pads.

It is called rugby, it hurts. I played rugby once and thought it was football with out pads, I hit a guy very hard gave myself a concussion(only one ever) and broke the kids ribs. My coach pulled me aside and pleaded for me not do that again. You really are not supposed to leave your feet to make a tackle, it is foolish.

After years of playing tackle football, I shy away of the back yard tackle football games, I enjoy touch football once a week in the fall, it makes me realize how I really need to get in shape, but it is fun non the less. I have no passion to hurt anyone on the field unless they piss me off and do dirty cheap shit, for godsakes, it is a touch football league not the fucking Arena League, I ain't gonna get paid and that dipshit ref sure as shit ain't gonna be paying my medical bills if I tear an ACL.

packinpatland
11-14-2007, 08:45 PM

Have you not seen the movie 'Invincable'? Papale and his buddies played tackle with no pads........................in the mud!

SkinBasket
11-14-2007, 08:47 PM

I was thinking this sounded a little more... okay a lot more homo erotic than BALCO.

ZachMN
11-14-2007, 08:57 PM
I play mens hockey here in MN and although its 'no check' its pretty rough- I play in the top tier with kids who have 8-10 years on me- I work out, nothing crazy, I know what I need and what works, I am 5'9, 175. I wish they had a checking league but I haven't found one yet. I love the contact and am willing to face the risks of skating. I wear no shoulder pads and have had a couple of slapshots off of my upper arms and shoulders. I don't cry about it. We even had one guy quit in the middle of the game due to the contact. ( there are punches and crosschecks thrown all the time- the NHL effect I call it ) I respect his decision and told him so. Everyone is different about taking a hit I guess. As far as NFL players getting injured I grew up reading about an era when guys hated each other and someone mentioned Deacon Jones, I love his attitude. I hate that buddy buddy laughing shit you see all the time on the field now. I would put bounties on guys heads if I could. I don't care what anyone thinks of that; its how I feel. Durability is as big as ability and being able to play through and not suffer injuries is part of being successful in the NFL.

FritzDontBlitz
11-15-2007, 02:59 AM
I am staying out of this.

Cause its too damn funny. :crazy: :lol: