PDA

View Full Version : Sleeper Team

MJZiggy
03-24-2006, 12:54 PM
There are a lot of us who think that due to the fact that we've been so inactive in FA, that the team will necessarily suck. For some reason I am far less uneasy than I was at this time last year after Wahle and Rivera departed. What is the possibility that my gut might be right in thinking that we could pull off a surprise and have a better season than everyone's expecting? I just don't think we're Arizona bad.

MadtownPacker
03-24-2006, 12:57 PM
I think the vikings will win the SB in 06 cuz no team can that cursed!! :lol:

MJZiggy
03-24-2006, 12:59 PM
How do you think the Pack will do realistically?

MadtownPacker
03-24-2006, 01:05 PM
Plus Favre? Possible wildcard team.

Minus Favre? Drafting in the top 5 again.

jack's smirking revenge
03-24-2006, 01:06 PM
Too many variables right now to tell. If AZ gets an O-line, I think they're the sleeper team in the NFC. Not the SB team, but the team that will break the most hearts. I agree with Mad that the Vikes are probably going to be the NFC team to beat this year. They had some good picks, will draft well and play in a dome in a soft division.

The Pack? If Favre returns and we score 2 or 3 starters in the draft, maybe 8-8. Without Favre, another 4-12 campaign, with the admission that 2007 could be a much better year and the start of the climb back to the top.

tyler

MJZiggy
03-24-2006, 01:08 PM
My gut begs to differ, the only problem is my head can't think of anything to back my gut up. I guess it's an internal issue but my gut's been right before.

jack's smirking revenge
03-24-2006, 01:17 PM
My gut begs to differ, the only problem is my head can't think of anything to back my gut up. I guess it's an internal issue but my gut's been right before.

There are just too many question marks right now. We ended last year with one of the worst records in the NFL, our QB situation is undecided, we've got a new coaching staff across the board, our defense has holes, our WR corps is disgruntled and shaky, other teams in the division have upgraded their coaching staff and talent.... I wish my gut would tell me that 2006 was going to be an excellent year and suggest that I get excited, but I don't see anything to be excited about yet.

We need an A+++++ draft with starters aplenty. We need a couple veterans released at the June 1 cut to plug in some of our holes, or at least provide depth at some defensive positions. We have skill, just not enough of it, IMHO, to compete with the Vikes and Bears.

The Bears with Griese could be scary...

tyler

Harlan Huckleby
03-24-2006, 01:26 PM
The FIBs with Griese could be scary...

I don't know if Griese will win the starting job, but he sure as hell strengthens their QB unit.

Same with McMahon in MN.

MJZiggy
03-24-2006, 01:32 PM
Hey! We have Arth and Wrobel!! (Deep sarcasm intended) Could somebody explain to me who the HELL is Arth and why we have him on our team? (Now watch the kid turn into the next Favre).

jack's smirking revenge
03-24-2006, 01:34 PM
The FIBs with Griese could be scary...

I don't know if Griese will win the starting job, but he sure as hell strengthens their QB unit.

Same with McMahon in MN.

I agree. Griese, Orton and Grossman makes for a VERY talented group of QBs in Chicago. I think the Bears have lost faith in the oft-injured Grossman and will give Orton his chance at starting again. But I predict that Griese will beat them all this summer and win the starting job. Griese to Muhammad could be a regular thing next year.

I do fear the day that Brad Johnson gets injured, which, at his age, will happen at some point. McMahon in that offense, with that talented O-line featuring Hutch, could be VERY dangerous.

Even Kitna becoming a Lion could open some eyes. I'm not high on him, but he's more consistent and talented than Harrington.

The North has definitely improved.

tyler

Mr. T
03-24-2006, 04:50 PM
The North has definitely improved.

tyler

Sans Green Bay!!

In case you haven't noticed, my patience with TT is seriously waning!!

If we have a GREAT draft we'll get three solid rookie starters and two or three solid second stringers. That leaves us with about 8 other holes to fill.

At this point, TT can't even consider the likes of Mario Williams. We have to draft 99% sure thing prospects, i.e. Hawk. That isn't necessarily a good thing. In the later rounds, we won't be able to take risks on guys who have huge upside, i.e. Hawkins.

Harlan Huckleby
03-24-2006, 07:49 PM
If we have a GREAT draft we'll get three solid rookie starters

Holy Schmokes! Great draft, indeed!

At this point, TT can't even consider the likes of Mario Williams. We have to draft 99% sure thing prospects, i.e. Hawk.

Oh, I don't know. The team looks to be in TOTAL rebuild mode. TT won't go for instant contributors.

esoxx
03-24-2006, 10:26 PM
If by "Sleeper Team" you mean one that will induce drowsiness when watching them, I'd have to agree.

MJZiggy
03-24-2006, 10:30 PM
That's a good one.

esoxx
03-24-2006, 10:32 PM
BTW, I think McMahon is highly overrated. He had one great half in the Thanksgiving game against the Packers a few years ago and that's why I think Packer fans are overly sold on the guy. Don't make me post his career numbers b/c they aren't pretty.

I'd say Orton's the odd man out in Chicago. I'm much more impressed with Grossman than Orton. But who knows, with that defense the QB doesn't really have to do much. But as Orton proved, you at least have to do a little bit. Still, he's young and will stay on the roster for now.

I think the best QB pick up in the division is actually McCown. He put up some decent numbers for a putrid Cardinals team and has a lot of spunk, as evidenced by his rally against the Vikings in the final game of the 2003 season. Anyone remember that one?

Fosco33
03-24-2006, 10:35 PM
Thanks for the invite to this fine community. :smile:

IMO, TT isn't a fan of FA nor spending too much and not getting quality in return. I'd be willing to bet that if we get some sweet offers we'll trade down from #5 and pick up some more picks - we need to at the pace we're signing (or not signing) players.

I don't think I could ever sleep through a Packer game - even when we sucked at 6-10 it was at least exciting. Maybe just me, but the most 'boring' year was either 96 or 97 when we 'blew out' many of the opponents.

Parity is key in the NFL - the Queens proved last year that FA spending doesn't always get you great results - the Pack WILL be back next year.

jack's smirking revenge
03-24-2006, 10:35 PM
BTW, I think McMahon is highly overrated. He had one great half in the Thanksgiving game against the Packers a few years ago and that's why I think Packer fans are overly sold on the guy. Don't make me post his career numbers b/c they aren't pretty.

I'd say Orton's the odd man out in Chicago. I'm much more impressed with Grossman than Orton. But who knows, with that defense the QB doesn't really have to do much. But as Orton proved, you at least have to do a little bit. Still, he's young and will stay on the roster for now.

I think the best QB pick up in the division is actually McCown. He put up some decent numbers for a putrid Cardinals team and has a lot of spunk, as evidenced by his rally against the queens in the final game of the 2003 season. Anyone remember that one?

I completely forgot about the McCown signing. Good call esoxx!

tyler

Deputy Nutz
03-24-2006, 11:01 PM
Listen to all you fucking doom and gloomers.

This team is going to be alright, forget about all those high priced free agents, how many of those washouts will become pro bowlers?

I posted on the C-E forum the depth this team has, and where this team also has holes. The Packers had some serious injury problems last year, and no team can get that bug two years in a row. Is this team Super Bowl caliber? No but they will at least be contenders in every game they play, especially with the weaker schedule.

Just because you don't know some of these kids names, doesn't mean they aren't gonna be players for the Green and Gold.

The Packers had 11 draft picks last year and all but two made the roster, last year was the first step in making this roster better, and a lot of you are over looking some of these players because you don't know their names because they didn't contribute a whole lot. Just give it time, you will hopefully be suprised come January 07.

MadtownPacker
03-24-2006, 11:41 PM

I think the best QB pick up in the division is actually McCown. He put up some decent numbers for a putrid Cardinals team and has a lot of spunk, as evidenced by his rally against the queens in the final game of the 2003 season. Anyone remember that one?

My man E has it correct. mcmahon had his chance in Philly last season and didnt do much. The turkey day game was mostly with his feet.

Now McCown that is one slinging SOB. I would have like to have seen him picked up. I have a roolie card of his, guess who his idol is?

packrulz
03-25-2006, 03:58 AM
If Favre comes back I think the Pack will have a shot at a wild card spot. I think TT has done ok in FA, and he's not done yet. Signing Pickett, Manuel, Cundiff, & Taylor is a good start and resigning Kampman, Green, Henderson, Gardner & etc proves he is not really rebuilding. The draft will be critical, I assume Mario will be off the board but noting TT's interest in FA linebackers I would think he would take Hawk at 5. The Bears, queens, & Lions have all improved but spending more money doesn't necessarily equal more wins. With the new coaching staff & zone blocking scheme the offense will be less predictable and back to the basics of running, blocking, & catching. The big question for me is how McCarthy handles Favre. Is he going to be able to coach him up to reduce the turnovers? Favre could be so much better if he could learn to just throw the ball away, or scramble, or take the sack rather than throw it up for grabs. Sherman didn't have the balls to get on him about it and even coddled him by letting him skip practices, show up late, & etc. I'm not saying bench him after 1 or 2 ints but after 3 or 4 it might be time. I think if McCarthy can reduce turnovers and stupid penalties like holding/offsides the Pack could win 10 games. That will come down to coaching and discipline and in some ways I hope he's kind of a prick.

Rastak
03-25-2006, 07:07 AM
I think the queens will win the SB in 06 cuz no team can that cursed!! :lol:

Totally agree Mad. :D

That's for the invite to the secret society. Mums the word.

MadtownPacker
03-25-2006, 10:35 AM
That's for the invite to the secret society. Mums the word.

Welcome Rastak. You are the forums first official troll!!! :lol:

MJZiggy
03-25-2006, 10:53 AM
Best troll we've got. :D

Harlan Huckleby
03-25-2006, 11:17 AM
why, we're so hard-up, we go ape-shit over getting a troll!

Rastak
03-25-2006, 12:13 PM

You got me laughing with that one! LOL doesn't convey it. I'll try and be a good troll.

MadtownPacker
03-25-2006, 12:20 PM

You got me laughing with that one! LOL doesn't convey it. I'll try and be a good troll.

No you must be your usually Pack dissing self!

I know you are high on the moves the queens have made. How do you expect 2006 to go for them? Like seeing McCown in the North?

Pack0514
03-26-2006, 01:12 PM
I think with Favre, we could be a wild card team. I dont believe we have a shot at the division because Chicago should have a very strong team. I feel our biggest problem will be depth. If a starter goes down, I dont feel we will have a body that will be able to do more than just fill in. I know TT says he is trying to build depth, but we have a ways to go.

Without Favre, I think were looking at 5-11, drafting approx #8 next year.

MadtownPacker
03-26-2006, 01:25 PM
Yeah 4-12 or 5-11 with around holding on to the starter job wont be too bad.

But gotta go wildcard with Favre just to send him off right cuz I think this is his the last year.

Mr. T
03-26-2006, 04:36 PM
But gotta go wildcard with Favre just to send him off right cuz I think this is his the last year.

I agree Mad, which is why I'm so frustrated at the lack of urgency from TT. Idon't want Favre to end his career like Archie Manning.

billy_oliver880
03-26-2006, 05:17 PM
A sleeper team this year? I am going to say the Texans. You heard it here first. :twisted:

FavreChild
03-26-2006, 09:14 PM
I was in Florida and Pennsylvania this week, and people in both states were consoling me about the "state of the Pack." Thought it was interesting that "outside observers" think the magic's over.

But what do they know?

smuggler
03-30-2006, 02:30 PM
I'm from Florida, and I pretty much feel good about the team right now. Not sure if that's a good thing, though.

Charles Woodson
03-30-2006, 05:55 PM
Ive lived in Fl all my life... which isnt real long, but i can tell u that people down here dont even know where Green Bay is, much less the packers

MJZiggy
03-30-2006, 05:56 PM
You're not talking to the right people!!

Charles Woodson
03-30-2006, 05:58 PM
Lol true. Would help if i graduated high school first