PDA

View Full Version : Favre gets advice from Mike

Harlan Huckleby
05-11-2006, 05:22 PM
Mike Lucas: Favre needs to change
Capital Times, May 10, 2006

.... Martinez, a three-time Cy Young Award winner, got me thinking about another notable pitcher, Brett Favre, a three-time Most Valuable Player in the National Football League. Did I say pitcher? Favre, who will turn 37 in October, is still a thrower, not a pitcher, and there is a clear distinction. Even though he still throws hard - hard enough to break the fingers of his receivers - he has lost something on his fastball, in a figurative sense, if nothing else. And, yet, he has steadfastly refused to make that concession publicly.

During last Saturday's news conference, Favre insisted, "I don't regret the way I play or the way I approach it. I don't feel like I should change. For me to change now, it would be time for me to leave."

That's not exactly what everyone in Green Bay wanted to hear from Favre - including first-year Green Bay Packers head coach Mike McCarthy, who later contended that for Favre "to say he had 29 interceptions (last season), he's not going to change his style, I don't think that's the message he was sending."

On the contrary.

Favre sounds like he's still resisting any attempt to change the way he plays the position, even though there have been dramatic changes in the supporting cast since Favre was last recognized as an MVP. The free-spirited, gunslinging Brett Favre has gotten away with being the free-spirited, gunslinging Brett Favre for a long time - or since Mike Holmgren left town - and maybe it's too late for anyone else to reign him in now. But he could do it himself, perhaps, without compromising his integrity or indomitable spirit or will.

"My will to win is probably why I'm still standing here," Favre stressed to the Packer media corps in explaining his decision to return for another season, his 16th in Green Bay. "Not my footwork, not my mechanics, not arm strength or decision-making. It's my desire to win. I want to win more than anyone else and am willing to do whatever it takes. ..."

Nobody has ever questioned his competitiveness or passion. But is Favre really willing to do whatever it takes - really willing to manage the game better in an effort to cut down on his turnovers? While he has been able to overcome poor mechanics in the past, he's no longer a threat running outside the pocket. And he doesn't throw the deep ball with as much consistency, largely because he doesn't have as many (or any) deep threats or the time to hold on to the ball because of an unstable interior offensive line.

Nobody is asking Favre to become Brian Sipe or Bernie Kosar - dink-and-dunkers. But is it too much to ask of Favre to make some changes from the perspective of his decision-making? That would be especially true in the red zone, where he was guilty of some inexcusable brain lapses last season. Recognizing that he was single-handedly trying to carry a depleted offense is not a good enough excuse for such mistakes from such an experienced, savvy quarterback.

Enter McCarthy, who needs to impose his will on Favre. Both need to be accountable. The Packers schedule, after all, is favorable for a fast start, if the pieces fall into place. Plus, who would you rather have quarterbacking your team within the division, the NFC North? Brad Johnson or Mike McMahon? Rex Grossman or Brian Griese? Jon Kitna or Josh McCown? Or Brett Favre? It's not time for Favre to leave. But he's overdue for a change - from a thrower to a pitcher - the ultimate change-up.

Chubbyhubby
05-11-2006, 05:38 PM
:D Very good article. Thats true that Favre has to change. He should have a better O-line and WR from last year wanna-be's. Jennings is going to be a one of the major factors concerning the wideout postion. Rookie WR's are not supposed to be but things could change. With an upgrade from last year's defense it should help Favre and Co.

Bossman641
05-11-2006, 05:47 PM
Excellent article.

Should be required reading for everyone who refuses to blame Favre for interceptions.

Joemailman
05-11-2006, 06:10 PM
It is my hope and belief that for the first time since Holmgren left, we have a coach who will not be afraid to lock horns with Favre when he makes foolish decisions.

GoPackGo
05-11-2006, 06:15 PM
if Favre refuses to manage the game better and repeats last seasons interception total he will get himself run out of his starting QB job in Green Bay. I love the guy but he needs an attitude adjustment

The Leaper
05-11-2006, 06:33 PM
I agree 100% with this article. If I were a sports writer in Green Bay, it is the same thing I would be writing regarding Favre going into this season.

b bulldog
05-11-2006, 09:16 PM
Great read!

pbmax
05-11-2006, 10:44 PM
I'll disagree with Lucas for his unconscionable swipe at Bernie Kosar and Brian Sipe. Dink and dunk? KMA Lucas. Sipe did not have a rifle but was quite effective deep to Ozzie and Kosar somehow managed to make 3 AFC Championship games throwing the ball downfield during Ozzie's dotage to Langhorne and Slaughter. Dink indeed! Their arms weren't Kyle Orton like, each went to the Pro Bowl! And Kosar ran Schnellenbergers run and gun offense at Miami as well as Jim Kelly.

The rest of the article was just fine.