PDA

View Full Version : Walmart Increases Heath Care

Deputy Nutz
11-14-2007, 11:41 AM
http://www.jsonline.com/story/index.aspx?id=685968

Jee, what a wonderful idea for Walmart

Stat that just floored me, the average health care cost for a family of four anually is 12,000 dollars, more than half the total income of someone making 11.00 an hour full time.

oregonpackfan
11-14-2007, 12:26 PM
My family of four spends $13,000 a year on health care.

Yes, the health care costs and overall status in the USA is in a terrible mess.

Freak Out
11-14-2007, 12:28 PM
Don't get me fired up again!

Freak Out
11-18-2007, 08:29 PM
There are a lot of American charity cases out there...

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/11/18/magazine/18healthcare-t.html?_r=1&oref=slogin

Partial
11-18-2007, 10:35 PM
12k for healthcare?

Wow, that is insane. I think my mom pays like 99 a month for me? Seems far more reasonable.

Jimx29
11-18-2007, 11:50 PM
12k for healthcare?

Wow, that is insane. I think my mom pays like 99 a month for me? Seems far more reasonable.Wait till you get a few years older, or gawd forbid, you actually use said insurance, then you can kiss that $99 out the window

Partial
11-18-2007, 11:53 PM
I cannot get past that. That is like half as much as most of the people working at Sears for a career make. Probably closer to 40%, but still.

Scott Campbell
11-19-2007, 08:03 AM
12k for healthcare?

Wow, that is insane. I think my mom pays like 99 a month for me? Seems far more reasonable.

$99/mo???

I think you're on the special Do Not Resuscitate plan.

GrnBay007
11-19-2007, 08:21 AM
12k for healthcare?

$99/mo???

LOL

Partial
11-19-2007, 09:24 AM
12k for healthcare?

$99/mo???

Well, my understanding is I have a 1k deductible and coverage for prescirptions and whatnot.

1 g a month is crazy expensive. Who can afford that?

MJZiggy
11-19-2007, 09:46 AM
12k for healthcare?

$99/mo???

Well, my understanding is I have a 1k deductible and coverage for prescirptions and whatnot.

Anyone who doesn't want to be saddled with a million-dollar hospital bill should something go wrong and who wants to be actually treated in the emergency room rather than being sent home with minimal care...

Partial
11-19-2007, 10:02 AM
Is that for a family or is that for one person?

hoosier
11-19-2007, 10:22 AM
Is that for a family or is that for one person?

The figure quoted is for a family, but it's still outrageous. It will be interesting to see which of the presidential candidates address this problem and which ones ignore it. My guess is that at some point in the campaign the health care crisis will become impossible to blow off with the typical plattitudes.

Partial
11-19-2007, 12:57 PM
How can they fix it? The thing that I will see happening is drug companies will stop coming out with new stuff.

3irty1
11-19-2007, 01:50 PM
The trick is to be invincible like me.

Scott Campbell
11-19-2007, 02:33 PM
How can they fix it? The thing that I will see happening is drug companies will stop coming out with new stuff.

I think that's the culprit. All these new technologies and advances cost a lot of money. Healthcare was cheaper 30 years ago becuase we just had to let people die in many cases, where today there are viable though expensive options. I don't think you can blame either political party for what happened.

Scott Campbell
11-19-2007, 02:39 PM
12k for healthcare?

$99/mo???

Deductibles are not the first thing I'd look at when evaluating a plan. I'd look at the maximum lifetime payout. Many of them are $1M. Some are $2M. After that, the insurance company is off the hook, and you're dead. Possibly literally.

Insurance is for catastrophies. And the difference between a $1K and $5K deductable may be painful, but it's not a catastrophy. Same thing with copays. You'll find a way to come up with that kind of money. A catastrophy would be the $300K bill that wipes you out completely, or worse (you can't pay, so you die) That's what I want insurance for.

GrnBay007
11-19-2007, 08:39 PM
Since this topic was brought up, I'm curious what type of insurance plan people here get through their employer. I was at a party recently and I was really surprised how much people have to pay out of pocket each month for health care....and they were not working low paying jobs.

the_idle_threat
11-19-2007, 09:31 PM
At a previous employer, it was about 50 bucks per 2-weeks pay period.

At my current employer, it's under 20 bucks every 2-week pay period. But there are several other plan options (HMO vs. PPO vs. coverage first), some of which are around the 50 dollar mark like the old plan I had.

GrnBay007
11-19-2007, 10:20 PM
I was paying about $75 per two week pay period for a family plan but then a new plan was offered for $25. I waited a year to see how people liked it before I switched. Had it two years now and it's great. $10 per office visit and $15 prescription.

GBRulz
11-19-2007, 10:22 PM
Deductibles are not the first thing I'd look at when evaluating a plan. I'd look at the maximum lifetime payout. Many of them are $1M. Some are $2M. After that, the insurance company is off the hook, and you're dead. Possibly literally.

Insurance is for catastrophies. And the difference between a $1K and $5K deductable may be painful, but it's not a catastrophy. Same thing with copays. You'll find a way to come up with that kind of money. A catastrophy would be the $300K bill that wipes you out completely, or worse (you can't pay, so you die) That's what I want insurance for.

Great point. Insurance is kind of doing a full circle for what it was originally intended to be for... catastrophies. People then became spoiled because they barely had to pay anything for office visits, they had low deductibles, etc. so of course insurance costs skyrocketed. Today, you are seeing people kind of go back to the "old" way of thinking...insurance is for castastrophies instead of covering office visits and drug costs. Mainly it's because it's what most can only afford, or perhaps is even offered to them.

It makes me sad to think about how many people have no insurance coverage at all and the problem is only getting worse. Something most definitely needs to be done, but I am not convinced that national healthcare is the answer, either.

GBRulz
11-19-2007, 10:27 PM
Since this topic was brought up, I'm curious what type of insurance plan people here get through their employer. I was at a party recently and I was really surprised how much people have to pay out of pocket each month for health care....and they were not working low paying jobs.

I know several people who are paying 1k a month for insurance for their family.

I only need single coverage, but the company I work for has three different plans to choose from. I'm on the "medium" plan and I pay $26 a month. This also includes dental where I am free to see the dentist of my choice.
I'm lucky, the company i work for is very generous with benefits. These days, bennies are just as important as the salary IMO.

GrnBay007
11-19-2007, 10:32 PM
These days, bennies are just as important as the salary IMO.

I agree.

the_idle_threat
11-28-2007, 06:02 PM
http://www.theonion.com/content/video/in_the_know_is_the_government

Fosco33
11-28-2007, 07:37 PM
As some of you know, I'm a healthcare consultant - focused on insurance and patient flow (throughput). I am also pretty anti Wally world - so I'm glad to see them implement some of these changes.

If you have questions, let me know. I'd respond to some of the previous posts but don't want to slant the debate with facts or experience :P