PDA

View Full Version : Largest object in the solar system

Freak Out
11-14-2007, 01:51 PM
This is wild.

http://www.ifa.hawaii.edu/faculty/jewitt/holmes.html

swede
11-15-2007, 12:16 PM
Further proof of the unrelenting unraveling of the universe and it again reminds to burn as many hydrocarbons as I can before something big hits earth and vaporizes my 401K.

Freak Out
11-15-2007, 12:18 PM
Further proof of the unrelenting unraveling of the universe and it again reminds to burn as many hydrocarbons as I can before something big hits earth and vaporizes my 401K.

That is one way to look at it. They did say it could hit a planet! :lol:

swede
11-15-2007, 03:21 PM
I couldn't figure out why this bursting comet isn't visible if it is as big as the sun. If it is traveling within the boundaries of the solar system and it is star-sized why isn't it visible with binocs or something. I guess sunlight doesn't reach far enough to light it up sufficiently.

Apparently the core of the comet isn't unusually large--although for all I know it may rival Earth in size. (Comets are visible to us when the particles that they shed are lit up by the sun as they come within viewing distance, creating the familiar "tail".)

It is the material in this comet that is somehow bursting outward, creating a debris field wider than the sun. I found it interesting that this kind of event with this particular comet had already been observed as early as the last part of the 19th century.

Honestly, I find it spooky.

Freak Out
11-15-2007, 04:35 PM
I have loads of photo's I took of the Hale Bopp comet from 96-97 if I remember correctly, it was just amazing to see every morning on the way to work. coupled with the Aurora it was truly stunning. I can understand how the ancient world would get a little "spooky" whenever a comet appeared in the sky.

It's amazing what's going on around here.

Zool
11-15-2007, 04:37 PM
Someone get the dinosaurs into a protective bubble quick.

Freak Out
11-15-2007, 04:55 PM
Someone get the dinosaurs into a protective bubble quick.

Were the dinosaurs this time.