PDA

View Full Version : USA Today Features James Jones

vince
11-14-2007, 03:18 PM
Rookie Jones gives Favre yet another wideout weapon
By Tom Pedulla, USA TODAY

USA TODAY continues its Rookie Focus series that examines one of the NFL's most impactful first-year players — on and off the field — every Wednesday:

Green Bay Packers wide receiver James Jones is living the American dream.

After enduring a difficult childhood during which he and his mother lived in various homeless shelters before he moved in with his paternal grandmother once he reached high school age, he was drafted by Green Bay in the third round of last April's draft and quickly became part of the Packers' success story this season.

The NFC North leaders take an 8-1 record into Sunday's game against the Carolina Panthers at Lambeau Field, and Jones is a significant contributor. He trails only the Kansas City Chiefs' Dwayne Bowe among rookies with 32 catches and 494 receiving yards. Seven of his grabs have gone for more than 20 yards; he averages 15.4 yards per catch.

POWER RANKINGS: Packers in the top five

The 78th overall selection has caught the eye of his quarterback, Brett Favre, which isn't easy to do considering that he's pretty much seen it all. Favre's mini-scouting report: "Very athletic, big strong guy who is, to me, confident in catching the ball and confident in traffic instead of maybe catching it, cradling it and going down."

— THE PLAYER

Hometown: San Jose, Calif.

Ht.: 6-1. Wt.: 207.

College highlights: Finished San Jose State career with 126 receptions to rank third all-time in school history while totaling 1,496 receiving yards. Erupted for 70 catches and 10 touchdowns in 2006. Was involved in seven plays that went for 40 yards or more last year. Completed three option passes in college.

Scouting report: Represents exactly the kind of playmaker the NFL is looking for. Possesses sure hands with ability to make people miss after the catch. Can be very effective if given the opportunity to run on a reverse. Has history of playing big in big games.

Quotable quote: "He has very good hands for a young guy, as good as anyone I've ever worked with at catching the ball away from his body and bringing it into his body." —Packers coach Mike McCarthy

— THE PERSON

I knew I was in the NFL when: "I got into the locker room, especially coming to Green Bay. I saw my name on a locker and I looked around and saw the lockers of Charles Woodson, Al Harris and Brett Favre and said, 'I'm really in the NFL.' "

Biggest adjustment: "The speed of the game. The NFL is a lot faster. To be a good player, you've got to adjust fast to the speed of the game. You've got defensive linemen running 4.6 40's."

Role model: "Marion Larea, my Pop Warner coach in California. Growing up, we didn't have a lot of money. He paid for me all five years I played Pop Warner. He made sure I had stuff to eat and I had clothes."

First purchase after signing: "I bought my mom a (four-bedroom) condo in California. It's great for her to relax in her own home instead of an apartment. It's definitely an upgrade."

Favorite off-field activity: "I'm a big basketball fan. My college team is Kentucky. It's the (Philadelphia) 76ers in the NBA. Even without Allen Iverson, I'm still a Sixers fan."

Life after football: "I definitely want to be a football coach, but not in the pros. I want to start off probably in high school. I love the game and want to give back to the youth."

On the Packers: "I actually think the sky's the limit for this team. There are a lot of young guys here and I think we'll only get better if everybody keeps working together toward one goal."

On Brett Favre: "He's been great. He's taught me a lot on and off the field with the way he works and how competitive he is during games and practices. He wants to win against the defense every time. You want to be on that guy's team."

NFL dream: "First and foremost, winning the Super Bowl, whether it's early or late in my career. I want to make the Pro Bowl, I want 1,000 yards every season, and the Hall of Fame is part of the plan. But I'll take it one step at a time."

MadtownPacker
11-14-2007, 04:21 PM
When you think about the way everything went down with moss, Jones really has turned into a dream come true on offense. Always makes me happy to see a Cali guy on the Packers.

Scott Campbell
11-14-2007, 04:41 PM
This was one of Ted's "I'm smarter than you" picks.