PDA

View Full Version : Ted's Biggest Screw Up

Scott Campbell
11-14-2007, 05:51 PM
Were going to be drafting horribly late in the first round. What a moron for winning all these games. Now we'll never get any play-makers.

FIRE TED NOW!!!

Merlin
11-14-2007, 06:06 PM
And I am the idiot? WOW...

Tyrone Bigguns
11-14-2007, 06:20 PM

Inability to understand sarcasm. Yes, you are the idiot.

Joemailman
11-14-2007, 06:28 PM
When Ted foolishly signed Charles Woodson, that obviously stunted the progress that Ahmad Carroll was making.

And don't get me started on the Mike McCarthy hire... :smack:

FritzDontBlitz
11-14-2007, 06:51 PM
Just the fact TTT drafted no-names like Greg Jennings in 2006 in the 2nd round (gasp!) and James Jones in the 3rd (?) shows a lack of draftday savvy.

But, Teddy the Silver polar bear should have been sent packing the minute he fired Mike Sherman after granting him a contract extension and signed that fatheaded nobody Mike McCarthy. That guy has never won anywhere.

(in a related note, HOW FAR BACK does this board's archives go? Because I remember nobody giving the Pack a ghost of a chance after M3 was hired after being OC in SanFran for one year, and I tried to come to his defense by mentioning how he helped Aaron Brooks and New Orleans put up huge numbers when he was down there.)

Scott Campbell
11-14-2007, 06:58 PM
Hey!!

Where's Wist?

Joemailman
11-14-2007, 07:10 PM
Just the fact TTT drafted no-names like Greg Jennings in 2006 in the 2nd round (gasp!) and James Jones in the 3rd (?) shows a lack of draftday savvy.

But, Teddy the Silver polar bear should have been sent packing the minute he fired Mike Sherman after granting him a contract extension and signed that fatheaded nobody Mike McCarthy. That guy has never won anywhere.

(in a related note, HOW FAR BACK does this board's archives go? Because I remember nobody giving the Pack a ghost of a chance after M3 was hired after being OC in SanFran for one year, and I tried to come to his defense by mentioning how he helped Aaron Brooks and New Orleans put up huge numbers when he was down there.)

The forum started 2 months after the MM hiring, so we don't have immediate reactions. I had pretty much the same conversation with a poster here (who I won't identify) as the type you described.

MadtownPacker
11-14-2007, 07:52 PM
TT biggest mistake was proving you detractors wrong. Now I have to hear all your backpeddling!! :lol:

SkinBasket
11-14-2007, 08:23 PM
signed that fatheaded nobody Mike McCarthy. That guy has never won anywhere.

He's not fatheaded, he's wall-eyed. Get your shit straight!

SkinBasket
11-14-2007, 08:27 PM

Inability to understand sarcasm. Yes, you are the idiot.*

I second that emotion.

*emphasis added.

packrat
11-14-2007, 09:51 PM
Keep digging Merlin, keep digging. You're going to get to the bottom of the hole you are digging for yourself eventually.

cheesner
11-14-2007, 10:17 PM
Those were TT's famous 'I am smarter than you' picks. Why this is bad is because he is drafting really good players that most fans have not heard of. When TT uses his greater football intellect this makes the Packers a better team. Therefore, ah. um. I forgot why this was such a bad thing.

VegasPackFan
11-15-2007, 12:14 AM
TT's biggest screw up was not signing at least two big FA QB's to go with his Aaron Rodgers pick. He tried hard to "run Brett out of town" but I guess he just isnt good enough.

cpk1994
11-15-2007, 06:49 AM
Those were TT's famous 'I am smarter than you' picks. Why this is bad is because he is drafting really good players that most fans have not heard of. When TT uses his greater football intellect this makes the Packers a better team. Therefore, ah. um. I forgot why this was such a bad thing.Congratulations. If this isn't sarcasm you just proved you are as smart as Merlin.

Spaulding
11-15-2007, 08:45 AM
Those were TT's famous 'I am smarter than you' picks. Why this is bad is because he is drafting really good players that most fans have not heard of. When TT uses his greater football intellect this makes the Packers a better team. Therefore, ah. um. I forgot why this was such a bad thing.Congratulations. If this isn't sarcasm you just proved you are as smart as Merlin.

Wasn't Merlin a wizard and therefore smart??? Am I missing the metaphor or is Merlin getting payback for his lack of faith. Speaking of which, why didn't I see his name on the crow list that Partial started?

cheesner
11-15-2007, 10:28 AM
:roll:

I have seen TT ridiculed for doing 'I am smarter than you' draft picks. I have yet to understand the reasoning. Collins, Jennings, and Jones are listed in this category. 3 of the better steals of the draft in the year that they came out. Yet TT still takes flack for them.

cpk1994
11-15-2007, 11:39 AM

Wasn't Merlin a wizard and therefore smart??? Am I missing the metaphor or is Merlin getting payback for his lack of faith. Speaking of which, why didn't I see his name on the crow list that Partial started?For the same reason you will never see Woody's there either.

wist43
11-15-2007, 12:03 PM
Hey!!

Where's Wist?

Been on IR with some broken bones, but I'm back for the most part... still on crutches, but hobbling around ok.

I had been on the fence with TT - liking some moves, hating some others... but, I'm a general supporter now. Will never be a shill, but I have more faith in TT than I did.

I'm more in McCarthy's camp than TT's... but, TT did take a huge risk in hiring McCarthy, and it's worked out; so, TT gets credit for that too.

Carolina_Packer
11-15-2007, 12:40 PM
I wonder if 3 years into Ron Wolf's hiring as GM, if Packer fans were debating his effectiveness/contribution to the teams success vs. the impact of hiring Homgren?

Of course Ron Wolf never had to deal with the upheaval of a previous administration that was good record-wise, but mediocre to below average general management-wise. In some ways it's good to walk into a situation that is clearly a mess, instead of one that is debateably a mess, as Thompson did.

Fritz
11-15-2007, 12:44 PM
Kurt Schottenheimer is dragging the secondary down. Fire him, I say.

cpk1994
11-15-2007, 02:34 PM

I have seen TT ridiculed for doing 'I am smarter than you' draft picks. I have yet to understand the reasoning. Collins, Jennings, and Jones are listed in this category. 3 of the better steals of the draft in the year that they came out. Yet TT still takes flack for them.Cheesner, Fritz's post was sarcasm. I think you need to learn exactly what that is. I guess its true then. You are a smart as Merlin, and that is not a compliment.

Scott Campbell
11-15-2007, 03:14 PM
Hey!!

Where's Wist?

Been on IR with some broken bones, but I'm back for the most part... still on crutches, but hobbling around ok.

I had been on the fence with TT - liking some moves, hating some others... but, I'm a general supporter now. Will never be a shill, but I have more faith in TT than I did.

I'm more in McCarthy's camp than TT's... but, TT did take a huge risk in hiring McCarthy, and it's worked out; so, TT gets credit for that too.

Glad to see you and hear that you're mostly ok.

Scott Campbell
11-15-2007, 03:18 PM
I have seen TT ridiculed for doing 'I am smarter than you' draft picks. I have yet to understand the reasoning. Collins, Jennings, and Jones are listed in this category. 3 of the better steals of the draft in the year that they came out. Yet TT still takes flack for them.

NOT SO FAST!

Ted screwed up there too. He should have picked Collins in the 4th round instead of the 2nd. He should have waited until the 5th round on Jennings. And nobody in their right mind would have drafted Jones. We could have signed him as an undrafted free agent.

Damn you to hell TED THOMPSON!

Merlin
11-15-2007, 03:29 PM
Keep digging Merlin, keep digging. You're going to get to the bottom of the hole you are digging for yourself eventually.

Funny but I am not in a hole, why? Because unlike the "WE ARE EIGHT AND ONE" crowd who use that as their only valid reason to show blind support for Thompson, some of us actually notice the missteps and there have been plenty. That's why this thread is so laughable. Nothing like a bunch of good ol' boys with a collective IQ of 4 touting the same old "WE ARE EIGHT AND ONE" crap. At least my arguments have merit and substance and I haven't changed those arguments because they are all valid. Nothing like getting "but but but we got Jennings!" or "but but but we got Woodson!", or the latest "but but but we are eight and one" excuses to wash away the mistakes made by Thompson. Sherman made mistakes and these same good ol' boys were all over him like white on rice. Were Sherman's mistakes worse then Thompson's? I mean all the guy did was win right? And if that is the whole argument as to why Thompson is a god of a GM, then how's come the hypocrisy over Sherman? Heck, let's go back to Wolf's missteps, he was a god right? But Sherman wasn't?

I guess it takes an IQ over 4 to see the irony in using a particular player(s) signing and some winning as the yardstick for 2 of our last 3 GM's, but the one that did have some good signings and won, he doesn't get measured that way. So which is it? What it the measurement of a good GM? Tell me, I really want to hear the hypocrisy in this answer.

Scott Campbell
11-15-2007, 03:32 PM
Yeah, yeah, yeah.

And if we by some lucky cirucumstance happen to win the next 5 or 6 Superbowls, don't let that silly statistic fool the rest of you chumps. Because Ted will STILL SUCK.

Scott Campbell
11-15-2007, 03:37 PM
.....I had been on the fence with TT - liking some moves, hating some others... but, I'm a general supporter now. Will never be a shill, but I have more faith in TT than I did.........

Here's my take. Once Ted won over Wist, all you're left with are the lunatics.

Partial
11-15-2007, 03:40 PM
.....I had been on the fence with TT - liking some moves, hating some others... but, I'm a general supporter now. Will never be a shill, but I have more faith in TT than I did.........

Here's my take. Once Ted won over Wist, all you're left with are the lunatics.

:lol:

Green Bud Packer
11-15-2007, 03:44 PM
What it the measurement of a good GM? Tell me, I really want to hear the hypocrisy in this answer.
Wins and losses.

8-1 and playoff bound.

Scott Campbell
11-15-2007, 04:35 PM
Nothing like a bunch of good ol' boys with a collective IQ of 4 touting the same old "WE ARE EIGHT AND ONE" crap.

IQ of 4, huh? Well I guess there must be a lot of drool on PackerRat keyboards.

You seem to be backed into a serious corner. The only way you'll be vindicated is if this team completely goes into the tank. Then you'll be one of just the couple left that will be right, with the vast majority of us morons being proven completely wrong. Maybe you and Woody will have a fan club if that happens.

Until then, I'll just assume the best. I'll swirl that Koolaide around my glass, inhale the succulent aroma of the 8-1 record, and enjoy gulp after delectable gulp. Because this is a blast.

Thanks Ted.

The Shadow
11-15-2007, 05:50 PM

Funny but I am not in a hole, why? Because unlike the "WE ARE EIGHT AND ONE" crowd who use that as their only valid reason to show blind support for Thompson, some of us actually notice the missteps and there have been plenty. That's why this thread is so laughable. Nothing like a bunch of good ol' boys with a collective IQ of 4 touting the same old "WE ARE EIGHT AND ONE" crap. At least my arguments have merit and substance and I haven't changed those arguments because they are all valid. Nothing like getting "but but but we got Jennings!" or "but but but we got Woodson!", or the latest "but but but we are eight and one" excuses to wash away the mistakes made by Thompson. Sherman made mistakes and these same good ol' boys were all over him like white on rice. Were Sherman's mistakes worse then Thompson's? I mean all the guy did was win right? And if that is the whole argument as to why Thompson is a god of a GM, then how's come the hypocrisy over Sherman? Heck, let's go back to Wolf's missteps, he was a god right? But Sherman wasn't?

I guess it takes an IQ over 4 to see the irony in using a particular player(s) signing and some winning as the yardstick for 2 of our last 3 GM's, but the one that did have some good signings and won, he doesn't get measured that way. So which is it? What it the measurement of a good GM? Tell me, I really want to hear the hypocrisy in this answer.
.................................................. .................................................. .

You're great reasoning skills win again!
An 8-1 record should be cause for outrage at the GM who is responsible for assembling such a sorry excuse for a team.

The Shadow
11-15-2007, 05:56 PM
Here's the deal :
If the Packers continue to be very successful, Tweedledee and Tweedledum (aka Tweedletank) will post something like this :
"Ha! You fools! We are really behavioral science professors who have been conducting this anti-Ted Thompson campaign just to see if we could get a rise out of Packer fans!
We did! We really have the last laugh on you!! We really supported TT all along! See : we are really smart!!!!!!!"

Many of us have seen this particular ploy several times before........

Scott Campbell
11-15-2007, 09:14 PM
Nothing like a bunch of good ol' boys with a collective IQ of 4 touting the same old "WE ARE EIGHT AND ONE" crap. At least my arguments have merit and substance and I haven't changed those arguments because they are all valid.

You haven't changed your argument? Weren't you one of the guys lambasting Ted's 12-20 record prior to the season?

Funny how they go 8-1 and the record is no longer important for some reason.

mraynrand
11-15-2007, 09:21 PM
As I used to say with Sherman, it's very difficult to assess a GM other than by overall success or failure. Thompson is looking pretty good right now. You can always find bad moves with a GM since even for the best guys, 60% of their draft picks do little or nothing. Another common problem with evaluating GM talent is the tunnel vision problem. Most critics know their own team extremely well and can tell you all the failings, but for other teams they tend to only say - hey look at that winning team -their guys are playing well - how come we don't have that GM...etc.

Bottom line, baby.

Scott Campbell
11-15-2007, 09:34 PM
Here's an oldie, but a goodie. Let's go back to Oct. 5, 2006...........

Anyone who says that the Packer's need to "rebuild" clearly doesn't understand free agency, this includes Ted Thompson. You don't rebuild anymore, you reload each year. We are truly rebuilding with the youngest team in the NFL with the second most rookies on the roster and 7 Million in our pockets. One thing I cannot fault Sherman for, he was always looking to find a good free agent to get them over the hump. He didn't draft the greatest, but at least he put competative teams on the field. This whole idea of going younger is going to backfire. Now bare with me here for a second. Say for instance that we pull out a 8-8 season this year and say 10-6 with a playoff appearance next year. Say many of these rookies and younger players step up. How many can you resign down the road? If they are no longer younger players and good NFL vets, you will be in the same boat we were in a few years ago. With that said, TT is turning us into a farm team. MLB already has the Milwaukee Brewers for their farm team, the NFL will have Green Bay. We develop them, they become names with the Packer's, we can't afford to keep them all, they go elsewhere.

This IS a reality. We don't need a team of probowlers to be successful. But we do need experience to be successful. As soon as these younger players get experience and their contracts are up, good luck keeping them all. TT has already proven that he is into "his guys". If you aren't one of them you stand a better chance to be let go. That is a fact. Ahmad Carrol will go onto a successful career some place where they have an actual defensive backs coach. Shottenheimer is our problem. Sanders is doing a good job as far as I am concerned. We are in the right packages when we need to be, the pass defense execution sucks, and bad. We were #25 against the pass the last time Shottenheimer was here. We were #1 last year under Lionel Wachington and even though it was probably a little overrated, it wasn't near #25 in reality. This year we are #31 currently. What's the difference? SHOTTENHEIMER!

TT needs to fire Shottenheimer and promote Washington IMMEDIATELY. Letting Carrol go was a mistake, he had too much raw talent. Bench him, don't get rid of him, he was a scape goat. The real problem is with coaching and I cannot believe TT and McCarthy were both too stupid to see the pattern.

As far as McCarthy goes, I like what I see in him. He gets on players, even Favre and it is making a difference. He just needs to be able to pick a coaching staff and that will be his downfall.

I for one don't want to wait 20 years before this team is competative again. We had 11 rookies last year on the roster and something like 15 this year. Next year it will be what, 19?

Someone needs to have the balls to tell TT that his building through the draft theory is all fine and good but you need to have experience if you want to keep selling tickets and merchandise...

I wish more fans could comprehend what you've posted. To many here have this blind opinion that rebuilding is ok and as I keep saying, GM's get paid to make a difference NOW. Anyone can field a lousy team and stockpile draft choices. Good GM's re-load not re-build. The only point I dis-agree on is MM. He's the guy in charge and when not once but twice, you only have 10 men on the field, you have to be held accountable. He's the one who hires the coaches and he need's to be held responsible for that.

Cleaning house and going young has been tried before and it does'nt work. You need the right mix of vets and we have a GM that sucks at player evaluation. Yep, Manuel was a real good pick-up and Woodson sure is worth all that cash. Yet, some will say TT is going in the right direction.

There are several of the younger fans in this forum who have no concept of the 70's and 80's and sadly they are going to find out. They will understand how one bad choice has a snowball effect. I just don't see this "future hope" that they have. This team has so many holes, that it's just pathetic......

HarveyWallbangers
11-15-2007, 09:35 PM
Funny how Packnut basically hasn't posted since the Packers loss to the Bears.

Scott Campbell
11-15-2007, 09:37 PM
And this pearl of wisdom........

Personally, I don't see Favre up and walking away now. That being said: I agree Favre doesn't want the "Favre final tour" crap, I wouldn't either. But, TT wasn't too high on keeping him around when he flew into town either. You have to look at the direction of the organization and even though the Packers had a lot of bright spots in '06, TT can't afford to "build through the draft" and expect to keep Favre wanting to play for a young, inexperienced team. We have a lot of locks for starters and some who's contract are up. The Free Agency market will be a good one. If TT doesn't go after a few players, if I were Favre, I would walk. If TT is so stupid that he looks past the 2006 accomplishments and brings in another 10 rookies, then I may have to consider not being much of a fan anymore. We get it Ted, you like the draft. You need to get it Ted, we want to WIN NOW!

HarveyWallbangers
11-15-2007, 09:39 PM
That one is pretty mild. There have to be better ones.

Scott Campbell
11-15-2007, 09:46 PM
When Harv asks, Scott delivers. From March 7, 2007.........

Although I agree that TT has a tight ass and needs to be cornholed, Al Davis is an idiot. If there is a deal to be made for Moss after stripping our offense, TT will make it. If he goes into the season 10 Mil under the cap again, don't be surprised if it's TT's last season with Green Bay.

Scott Campbell
11-15-2007, 09:47 PM
I wanted TT fired before he made one move for the Packers. He is an arrogant SOB who is hell bent on making this HIS TEAM. He signed Woodson out of desperation because the organization and fans in general were pissed off, he surely wasn't pursuing him very hard if at all. Other then that, we could have gone without Pickett who did a fine job for us but Jackson would have done the same when healthy. We definitely could have done without Manual and Robinson hasn't played enough yet to know if that was a good pickup. I think he is. We went into last season with 10 Mil in our pockets and got nothing for it. IDIOT...

Scott Campbell
11-15-2007, 09:58 PM
Culver showed a lot of potential when he played. More potential than Manual. Don't go holding your breath that TT will cut him. He has yet to cut any of "his guys" that start.

Scott Campbell
11-15-2007, 10:00 PM
Any bets Favre is still asked to chuck it up over 600 times this season?

Is the bettng window still open?

Bretsky
11-15-2007, 10:06 PM
Any bets Favre is still asked to chuck it up over 600 times this season?

Is the bettng window still open?

In 9 games Favre has 354 attempts.
That is 39 attempts per game.

39x16= 624

Pretty dam good prediction when looking at the statistical facts

Scott Campbell
11-15-2007, 10:06 PM
I suspect that Robinson won't get re-instated. Goodell seems like kind of a hardass in that respect. The crack down should have happened many years ago. Now they have to make examples out of players and who better then someone Green Bay has the rights to?

Scott Campbell
11-15-2007, 10:08 PM
Fairly prophetic here:

I hope that AP doesn't go to Minnesota. Not because I don't want a good player to go to the Vikings but because I don't want to see a players career cut short by playing for a shitty team. Tavaris is a few years away yet and that overpaid offensive line couldn't block for a pee wee football team. Then you have Childress who will think he is the next Westbrook. I see AP in MN getting injured playing in that hole they call a field in his first season trying to cutback after Hutchinson misses a block on Dante Hall...

Scott Campbell
11-15-2007, 10:31 PM
Bingo - found it.

Merlin claims he hasn't changed his arguments. Decide for yourself.

Nothing like a bunch of good ol' boys with a collective IQ of 4 touting the same old "WE ARE EIGHT AND ONE" crap. At least my arguments have merit and substance and I haven't changed those arguments because they are all valid.

In today's world, patience for anything by anyone just doesn't happen. The NFL with free agency is designed to keep teams competitive, especially small market teams like Green Bay. Unfortunately we have not seen that success because of the philosophy of TT. I think the number of wins has a lot to do with how "well" they do their job. It's measurable, it's real and it's the focus of the fans. The questions is, how long do we give him? Sherman got 4 years and had good records but choked in the playoffs. Wolfe had 9 years and produced 2 Super Bowl teams after 5 years of "building". Wolfe also got solid free agent pickups to address the immediate needs of the team. But, his coaching mistake with Rhodes cost him the last two seasons of his career with the Packers.

Will we endure 4 ~ 8-8 (if we can do that of course) type seasons before we end up a serious super bowl threat? Or do we take a serious look at the performance of this year and make the call when it's all said and done?

Ron Wolfe started in Green Bay in late 1991 during a dismal 4-12 season.

Record by years:
1992: 9-7 (Trades for Favre, Hires Holmgren) No Playoffs
1993: 9-7 (Reggie White is signed) Playoffs
1994: 9-7 (Sterling Sharpe's Career is over) Playoffs
1995: 11-5 NFC Championship Loss
1996: 13-3 Super Bowl Champs
1997: 13-3 Super Bowl Runner Up
1998: 11-5 Playoffs
1999: 8-8 (Ray Rhodes era)
2000: 9-7 Playoffs (Mike Sherman Hired - Wolfe's last year as GM)

Wolf: Never a losing season

Mike Sherman:
2001: 12-4 Playoffs
2002: 12-4 Playoffs
2003: 10-6 Playoffs
2004: 10-6 Playoffs

Sherman: Never a losing season

Ted Thompson
2005: 4-12
2006: 8-8 (McCarthy Hired)

Ted Thompson: Awaiting first winning season.

HarveyWallbangers
11-15-2007, 10:44 PM
1992: 9-7
1993: 9-7
1994: 9-7
1995: 11-5
1996: 13-3
1997: 13-3
1998: 11-5
1999: 8-8
2000: 9-7
2001: 12-4
2002: 12-4
2003: 10-6
2004: 10-6
2006: 8-8
2007: 8-1

It's been a pretty nice run. One losing season in 16 years (and there was an epidemic of injuries that year). That coming on the heels of the long drought (1968-1992). The ONLY constant in that 16 year run has been #4. And Bob Harlan off the field.

HarveyWallbangers
11-15-2007, 10:50 PM
Somebody should post the records from 1968-1992. That would really show what Favre meant to this franchise. Reggie only played 6 years. Holmgren only coached 7 years. Wolf was only here for 9 years. Favre for all 16 years.

cheesner
11-15-2007, 11:23 PM
Here's the deal :
If the Packers continue to be very successful, Tweedledee and Tweedledum (aka Tweedletank) will post something like this :
"Ha! You fools! We are really behavioral science professors who have been conducting this anti-Ted Thompson campaign just to see if we could get a rise out of Packer fans!
We did! We really have the last laugh on you!! We really supported TT all along! See : we are really smart!!!!!!!"

Many of us have seen this particular ploy several times before........But I wonder some times, could anyone be this stupid? Then I think of the 'logic' my drunk ex-wife is using on me and I think, I guess it is possible he really feels this way.

cheesner
11-15-2007, 11:24 PM

I have seen TT ridiculed for doing 'I am smarter than you' draft picks. I have yet to understand the reasoning. Collins, Jennings, and Jones are listed in this category. 3 of the better steals of the draft in the year that they came out. Yet TT still takes flack for them.Cheesner, Fritz's post was sarcasm. I think you need to learn exactly what that is. I guess its true then. You are a smart as Merlin, and that is not a compliment.ooooohhh. Sarcasm. i never heard of that before.

you frickin idiot.

Tarlam!
11-15-2007, 11:53 PM
2006: 8-8
2007: 8-1

As I posted about 5 weeks ago, TT overall is still a losing GM. Back the, Pack was 4-0. I wrote if the Pack could sneak into 12-4, TT would go .500 over 3 years.

With a win on Sunday, he is .500 for his Packers career to date.

Of course, wins/losses say nothing about a GM, right? :D

run pMc
11-16-2007, 08:46 AM
I don't think you can base a GM's job performance purely by the W-L record. TT has clearly improved the depth of the team. After years of seeing the team slowly erode, it's nice to see this team on the rise again. I don't like every move TT does (or doesn't) make, but I do think overall he's done a good job. If we swapped jobs for a week, I think we'd both flounder, so I'm willing to cut him some slack.

He still has work to do.

Carolina_Packer
11-16-2007, 09:25 AM
I don't think you can base a GM's job performance purely by the W-L record. TT has clearly improved the depth of the team. After years of seeing the team slowly erode, it's nice to see this team on the rise again. I don't like every move TT does (or doesn't) make, but I do think overall he's done a good job. If we swapped jobs for a week, I think we'd both flounder, so I'm willing to cut him some slack.

He still has work to do.

This is like the Gettysburg Address of this thread; succinct, clear and spot on.

Carolina_Packer
11-16-2007, 09:41 AM
Bingo - found it.

Merlin claims he hasn't changed his arguments. Decide for yourself.

In today's world, patience for anything by anyone just doesn't happen. The NFL with free agency is designed to keep teams competitive, especially small market teams like Green Bay. Unfortunately we have not seen that success because of the philosophy of TT. I think the number of wins has a lot to do with how "well" they do their job. It's measurable, it's real and it's the focus of the fans. The questions is, how long do we give him? Sherman got 4 years and had good records but choked in the playoffs. Wolfe had 9 years and produced 2 Super Bowl teams after 5 years of "building". Wolfe also got solid free agent pickups to address the immediate needs of the team. But, his coaching mistake with Rhodes cost him the last two seasons of his career with the Packers.

Will we endure 4 ~ 8-8 (if we can do that of course) type seasons before we end up a serious super bowl threat? Or do we take a serious look at the performance of this year and make the call when it's all said and done?

Ron Wolfe started in Green Bay in late 1991 during a dismal 4-12 season.

Record by years:

Mike Sherman:

Ted Thompson

Nice work, archivist Scott! Truth is, if you don't like someone or something, and you are a dour person, you'll say anything to support your position, whether it holds up or not. We may have "blind faith at 8-1 for TT", but Merlin seems to have blind faith for his own arguments, and will NEVER stop supporting them, no matter how much clearer the picture becomes.

RashanGary
11-16-2007, 09:45 AM
Record by years:

Mike Sherman:

Ted Thompson

The pattern that stands out to me is Wolf took over and had a steady climb. He hit the top and came back to earth.

Sherm took over at a pretty high point and a pattern downward started.

TT took over what Sherman built, started from the bottom and has the same climb pattern that Wolf showed. (acctually, Thompsons climb is double as fast as Wolf's because Wolf started at a fairly high point)

mraynrand
11-16-2007, 10:12 AM
The very most important thing in judging how good a GM the record. Sure, you can judge character if you want - that's a fair component - the public face of the organization. That's why the success or failure of Robinson on and off the field will have impact on how TT is evaluated. But really, all that counts is the record, especially for the fan, and especially in the playoffs. Who cares what TT or Sherman or anyone else does 'right' if the team ends up 4-12 every year.

"Boy, the Packers are 4-12, but have you watched TT view college film? - there's no one even close to TT when it comes to sitting in front of the video screen and taking notes on college teams in the off season."

SkinBasket
11-16-2007, 10:36 AM
I suspect that Robinson won't get re-instated. Goodell seems like kind of a hardass in that respect. The crack down should have happened many years ago. Now they have to make examples out of players and who better then someone Green Bay has the rights to?

This is the part where merlin goes quiet for two or three days, then forgets this ever happened and starts making the same arguments again. He's all piss and spit until someone shows him what he actually said, then he kinda disappears.

cpk1994
11-16-2007, 11:16 AM
Cut Merlin a little slack. At least he has posted in this thread unlike the other member of the "TT Sucks" Fan Club, cough* Woody *cough.

Zool
11-16-2007, 11:18 AM
Cut Merlin a little slack. At least he has posted in this thread unlike the other member of the "TT Sucks" Fan Club, cough* Woody *cough.

Ya mess with the bull....you get the horns

|m|, ,|m|

SkinBasket
11-16-2007, 12:49 PM

It's a little easier to cut someone some slack when they aren't constantly insulting 90% of the people on the board. I think it's great she keeps posting, she's mind-numbingly hilarious.

cheesner
11-16-2007, 02:25 PM

It's a little easier to cut someone some slack when they aren't constantly insulting 90% of the people on the board. I think it's great she keeps posting, she's mind-numbingly hilarious.I believe he deserves as much consideration as he has given TT.

Scott Campbell
11-16-2007, 04:38 PM
If Packnut emerges from hiding, I'd love to ask him about this one:

I remember all those "debates" with certain people here telling me how Walker could'nt come back from that injury so fast and that TT should'nt give him the money because of it. I said several times the injury was a non-factor and in the end I was proven right.

Denver did get the better of the deal. NE got a #1 for Branch who could'nt carry Walker's jock strap. Anyone who says TT made a good deal with Walker is full of sh*t.

HarveyWallbangers
11-16-2007, 04:40 PM

What's funny is that I would have no problem with his sentiment... if it weren't for the attitude accompanying it.

The Shadow
11-16-2007, 04:40 PM
Good job, Scott.
The hides are a'hanging from the wall, as per usual.

Scott Campbell
11-16-2007, 04:51 PM

What's funny is that I would have no problem with his sentiment... if it weren't for the attitude accompanying it.

Exactly.

Scott Campbell
11-16-2007, 04:52 PM
Funny stuff:

POSTED 2:51 p.m. EST, March 2, 2007

GREEN BAY SIGNS ALL AVAILABLE FREE AGENTS

Packerrats.com today reported that the Green Bay Packers have effectively signed all of the remaining available free agents in the league. Packer's GM Ted Thompson answered our inquiry with the following statement, "I believe the signing of all of the available free agents will allow us to compete next year, and in the future as well."

Someone send this to PFT. They'll probably run with it.

Scott Campbell
11-16-2007, 05:33 PM
How about enough of the blind faith crap with no FACTS to back your opinion. I saw no evidence of this"team on the rise" when we played NY and the Pats. WE beat 3 bad teams and one who did'nt care the last 4 weeks of the season. This teams has some HUGE holes to fill.

All you do is spout the same "Thompson is great" shit but yet there is nothing but may-be and could be to back you up. If you EVER made one post with one fact in it, I'd have another heart attack.

Gosh, I hope he didn't have that heart attack.

The Shadow
11-16-2007, 05:40 PM
Those 2 boys (or is it really one tank-sized boy) shore do look plumb silly
now, don't they?

Scott Campbell
11-16-2007, 05:41 PM
Sadly, some don't get it and never will. This is'nt about whether or not Thompson should have matched Houston's offer. It's about how time and time again, Thompson has NO BACK-UP PLAN.

Not one of us can predict how Green will do in his next 2 seasons, so to say with certain clarity that his deal is good or bad for Houston is point-less.

Once again though, the common theme here by a few is once a player leaves Green Bay for money, it's time to rip him and say he is'nt talented anymore. Now it's time to find fault with him. Funny thing is it's always the same members doing it. They did it with Walker and now are doing it with Green. I guess once a player takes off the green and gold, he automatically loses all his talent. This is pure BULLSHIT and shows a definite lack of class by those doing it.

I happen to agree with Thompson's choice not to Pay Green. However, once again as it happened before, Teddy does not have any plan B when plan A blows up. THAT is why he's not the "god" of GM's like some here claim. He loses Wahle and Rivera and his back-up plan? Sign 2 clowns to replace them who had NO TALENT. Lose Walker and his back-up plan? Draft a rookie who is gonna take time to develope. Lose your #1 RB and then wait until AFTER the fact to scramble looking for a replacement.

Very poor planning. No successful CEO of ANY business would run a company like this. Things seldom go as you plan and that is why you always have contingency plans in place...........

I sure wish Ted had a backup plan, because this one sure ain't a workin.

Scott Campbell
11-16-2007, 05:46 PM
It's funny that Thompson is interested in the CHEAPEST FA RB available and it seem's most here are ok with that. Did I miss something? Are the Packers strapped for cash? Do we have cap space problems? Does anyone here realize that IF Brett only plays this last season, how much cap space his salary frees up? We have no for-see-able cap problems in the future, yet God forbid we over-pay for a much needed player now. This is getting to be a freakin joke........

Scott Campbell
11-16-2007, 05:51 PM
Hey it works both ways my friend. I get just as frustrated with all the everything will be ok crap and wishfull thinking on players that have shown no evidence to back up the talk. I mean come on, how stupid is it every time someone posts the patented "our WR's corps is really good " BS.

Scott Campbell
11-16-2007, 05:55 PM
Believe me red, anyone with the ability to reason can see Thompson has screwed up. He had the money and there were guys out there that could have helped us. But, God forbid we over-pay anyone. In fact when we go 6-12 next season, that can be our official mantra- "Teddy did'nt over-pay anyone".

Then again, anyone paying attention just might realize that what we consider over-paying a player is now becoming the norm in the NFL. Salaries are going up along with the cap. The good GM's are those that realize this.

Scott Campbell
11-16-2007, 06:00 PM
The Green Bay Packers and Chicago Bears are the only two teams in the NFL who have not signed a free agent.

Well, there goes the argument, that 1/3 of the league "has not been active in free agency, WHAT is the rush?".

What a joke.

1) Cullen Jenkins RFA They signed a defensive lineman who can play all four positions and rarely gets injured. Good attitude guy.

2) They signed one of the most expensive Free Agent longsnappers in the league.

3) They got great value in TE Donald Lee for 595K minimum plus "modest bonus". He has 63 catches for 664 yards in 4 years. That in a market where the vikings paid 18 million over 5 years with 7 guaranteed for a TE with 35 catches and 253 yards in the same 4 years.

4) Added LB Tracy White and 5 year veteran OL Andrew Walter.

There is some lack of research.

THANKS VERY MUCH! I feel so much better now. :roll:

Scott Campbell
11-16-2007, 06:06 PM
The only FA I'm upset at not signing, or resigning is Green...

My argument is that the Favre window is closing, and they'll have no shot a winning a SB once he's gone - so, even though their chances of winning a SB while Favre is still here are slim at best - I would argue that a slim chance now, is better than no chance later.

That said, I give TT credit for getting the roster reasonably turned around in just 2 years - even though it is still a pretty weak roster - he took over a pathetic situation, and at least injected enough youthful talent that talking about "winning now" is not akin to insanity - borderline crazy, yes - but not insane.

Crazy.......like a FOX!

The Shadow
11-16-2007, 06:08 PM
Ding Ding Ding!
Stop the fight!
They are down for the count.
You're gonna kill em!!!!

Scott Campbell
11-16-2007, 06:13 PM
It's actually entertaining as hell. You should read the ones I haven't re-posted.

And I know I've got some doozies of my own out there.

The Shadow
11-16-2007, 06:17 PM
Somewhere out there, they are silently sniffing & sniveling like Swedish schoolgirls.

Scott Campbell
11-16-2007, 06:20 PM
Alot that really piss's me off, has to do with what appears to me as obvious inactivity on behalf of Ted Thompson to gain weapons on 'O' to combine with Brett Favre's talent.

That talent will soon disappear.

Thus early in my history with all of you at JSO. I posted in respect to what appeared to me, to be an obvious effort on behalf of TT to force Brett Favre into retirement.

Death of Brett Favre . . . by ignoring Favre's need of talented weapons.

Exit Ahman Green and doesn't the same ole same ole still apply?

This constant trend to ignore acquisition of talented playmakers on 'O' is obvious and extremely frustrating to me.

Thus sometimes I get grumpy. :)

:shock:

Scott Campbell
11-16-2007, 06:22 PM
Somewhere out there, they are silently sniffing & sniveling like Swedish schoolgirls.

Ahhh, it's all in good fun. It could easily be you, me and Nick.

BUT IT'S NOT! :lol:

Freak Out
11-16-2007, 06:24 PM

...and just how do you know how Swedish school girls sniff and snivel?

Scott Campbell
11-16-2007, 06:27 PM
Moss will help Favre and that's all that counts in my book. Besides, what else do we have to look forward to this season? Right now it look's pretty boring does'nt it? As it stands, our offense is down-right pathetic and would be hard pressed to avg better than 14 ppg. At least watching Brett throw up some bombs to Randy would add some excitement to the equation. :lol:

PaCkFan_n_MD
11-16-2007, 06:38 PM
Four more wins and my prediction is wrong.

StPaulPackFan
11-16-2007, 06:49 PM
I'll admit I'm a homer. I go into every year very optimistic about the Packer's chances. That being said, I usually support the decisions of management, in this case TT. Although I find the beginning of free agency a bit anti-climatic since TT doesn't seem interested in getting into bidding wars.

I, like most people on this board DON'T agree with EVERYTHING TT has done. I was stunned when TT passed over Chad Jackson in last year's draft. He obviously knew something I didn't. But that doesn't surprise me since it is his job to evaluate talent. Unlike many fans who merely read draft publications and watch youtube clips and proclaim themselves experts.

Even though GM's get payed to evaluate talent it doesn't always mean they will be good at it. Tom Braatz proved that. It is for this reason that I understand why Merlin, Woody and Packnut have been very critical of TT. 4-12 does leave a sour taste in your mouth. But even though I understand how they became bitter toward TT I am confused as to why the bitterness still remains?? This team looks solid today and appears to have a solid future.

I've debated with plenty of people who will stick to their guns even when the facts strongly indicate they are wrong. I'm guessing you guys remember PackerPro42? Well, he's my nephew and he's a very intelligent, and stubborn, young man. His position on Chad Jackson alienated him from this board. He took a lot of crap from many on this board because he continued to push the Jackson argument. But I will say, even he has changed his opinion considering how Jackson's career has gone. My point is, why beat a dead horse?? TT has proven to be a competent GM. Some may not agree with every move he has made but as he says "the proof is in the pudding". GB is 8-1 and has an extremely young and talented roster.

Scott Campbell
11-16-2007, 06:53 PM
If the Packers are going to grow, it's going ot be from within just like every other team in the NFL. FA is the absolute worste way to fill a hole and should always be a last resort.

We don't have any holes as bad as CB was last year and with that in mind; I could care less if we get any FA's at all.

I'm looking forward to the draft. I'm also hopefull that the youngest team in the league gets alot better with a year of experience under everyones belts.

Scott Campbell
11-16-2007, 07:01 PM
His position on Chad Jackson alienated him from this board.

I don't buy it.

His ego/stubboness alienated him from the board. We live in a big boy world. You take your lumps, and move on, or you perish.

Lombardi said, "It's not whether you get knocked down, it's whether you get up." Well PackerPro42 decided not to get up.

He could still come back, take a little grief from BallHawk, and get back to posting. We all say stupid stuff. So what.

Freak Out
11-16-2007, 07:26 PM
I think Ted's biggest screwup is not marrying little Susan from down the street. Water under the bridge....

FritzDontBlitz
11-16-2007, 07:28 PM

:jack:

You guys need to ease up on Merlin. He was away all that time because he had to show Daniel Jackson how to build a weapon that was capable of destroying ascendant beings in order to defeat the Ori before they completely overran our galaxy. 8-)

OK, sorry about injecting the "Stargate" reference, but I've been away for a while and even if i tried I could never open up a can of whoopass that compares to the onslaught of Scott Campbell.

This shit is just too funny to read sometimes. Well done.

We now return you to your regularly scheduled rant, already in progress...

Partial
11-16-2007, 07:29 PM
I'll admit I'm a homer. I go into every year very optimistic about the Packer's chances. That being said, I usually support the decisions of management, in this case TT. Although I find the beginning of free agency a bit anti-climatic since TT doesn't seem interested in getting into bidding wars.

I, like most people on this board DON'T agree with EVERYTHING TT has done. I was stunned when TT passed over Chad Jackson in last year's draft. He obviously knew something I didn't. But that doesn't surprise me since it is his job to evaluate talent. Unlike many fans who merely read draft publications and watch youtube clips and proclaim themselves experts.

Even though GM's get payed to evaluate talent it doesn't always mean they will be good at it. Tom Braatz proved that. It is for this reason that I understand why Merlin, Woody and Packnut have been very critical of TT. 4-12 does leave a sour taste in your mouth. But even though I understand how they became bitter toward TT I am confused as to why the bitterness still remains?? This team looks solid today and appears to have a solid future.

I've debated with plenty of people who will stick to their guns even when the facts strongly indicate they are wrong. I'm guessing you guys remember PackerPro42? Well, he's my nephew and he's a very intelligent, and stubborn, young man. His position on Chad Jackson alienated him from this board. He took a lot of crap from many on this board because he continued to push the Jackson argument. But I will say, even he has changed his opinion considering how Jackson's career has gone. My point is, why beat a dead horse?? TT has proven to be a competent GM. Some may not agree with every move he has made but as he says "the proof is in the pudding". GB is 8-1 and has an extremely young and talented roster.

Good post. Tell him to come back to the fray, eat his crow, and get back into the fun of things. He was a pretty cool little guy.

As for everyone else, give Merlin some credit for sticking around and sticking to his guns. I respect that in a person.

I think needing to show off that you were right and others were wrong makes you a much bigger chump than whoever was wrong. Bragging doesn't make you cool in my book.

cheesner
11-16-2007, 07:58 PM
. . .

. . .
Good post. I am about as pro TT as anyone and I have yet to see any of the blind faith loyalty the anti's talk about. I don't mind when people are critical of TT. I did not like the hire of MM as HC for the sole reason that he was not very successful in the OC positions he held. I realized, however, that I had never met MM or knew that much about his football intelligence, so I couldn't entirely judge the move.

I think it funny when the critics rip TT for things like drafting Jones. Never having seen him play, talked the guy, talked to his coaches, or work him out. Yet they can be critical about something they know very little about. They then attack TT personally for being cheep, trying to run Favre out of town, trying to destroy the Packers, desiring to exert his ego despite all costs and other such stupid drivel.

swede
11-16-2007, 08:22 PM
I think it funny when the critics rip TT for things like drafting Jones. Never having seen him play, talked the guy, talked to his coaches, or work him out. Yet they can be critical about something they know very little about. They then attack TT personally for being cheep, trying to run Favre out of town, trying to destroy the Packers, desiring to exert his ego despite all costs and other such stupid drivel.

Well said Cheesner. I don't jump on this board to get angry and blog-rage at people under the sweet anonymity of the internet. I get on to learn and laugh and argue. If people say stupid stuff call them on it and present your facts and laugh away.

The whole eat-crow thread is an excellent example of the large number of Rats that don't themselves too seriously and can enjoy a good laugh at their own expense.

Iron Mike
11-16-2007, 08:28 PM
Sadly, some don't get it and never will. This is'nt about whether or not Thompson should have matched Houston's offer. It's about how time and time again, Thompson has NO BACK-UP PLAN.

Not one of us can predict how Green will do in his next 2 seasons, so to say with certain clarity that his deal is good or bad for Houston is point-less.

Once again though, the common theme here by a few is once a player leaves Green Bay for money, it's time to rip him and say he is'nt talented anymore. Now it's time to find fault with him. Funny thing is it's always the same members doing it. They did it with Walker and now are doing it with Green. I guess once a player takes off the green and gold, he automatically loses all his talent. This is pure BULLSHIT and shows a definite lack of class by those doing it.

I happen to agree with Thompson's choice not to Pay Green. However, once again as it happened before, Teddy does not have any plan B when plan A blows up. THAT is why he's not the "god" of GM's like some here claim. He loses Wahle and Rivera and his back-up plan? Sign 2 clowns to replace them who had NO TALENT. Lose Walker and his back-up plan? Draft a rookie who is gonna take time to develope. Lose your #1 RB and then wait until AFTER the fact to scramble looking for a replacement.

Very poor planning. No successful CEO of ANY business would run a company like this. Things seldom go as you plan and that is why you always have contingency plans in place...........

I sure wish Ted had a backup plan, because this one sure ain't a workin.

And on the Ahman Green front, guess who's missing the next game??

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/7455560

Make sure you read the comment after the story. It's pretty funny. 8-)

RashanGary
11-16-2007, 08:35 PM
EDIT:

Useless topic. Everyone is wrong. We just have to live, learn and have fun taking the lumps along the way

StPaulPackFan
11-16-2007, 08:39 PM

I don't buy it.

His ego/stubboness alienated him from the board. We live in a big boy world. You take your lumps, and move on, or you perish.

Lombardi said, "It's not whether you get knocked down, it's whether you get up." Well PackerPro42 decided not to get up.

He could still come back, take a little grief from BallHawk, and get back to posting. We all say stupid stuff. So what.

Scott, first off let me say that I usually find your posts quite enjoyable. You inject a subtle, and sometimes not so subtle sarcasm to many discussions.

Secondly, I agree, PackerPro42 has a healthy ego and is very stubborn. But seriously, how many of us who post here don't possess those qualities, at least to some extent? At times he could be abrasive. Because of this, he did seem to get ganged up on quite a bit when he posted something that was not popular opinion. I haven't talked to him lately about why he stopped posting here but I'm guessing he probably found a forum that is more Draft specific. He's a Packer fan but he's more of an NFL Draft fan than anything else. Plus, I think getting ganged up on gets old after a while. :shock:

I turned him onto this board because I find most of the discussions engaging. Plus, most information that is posted on the internet about the Packers ends up here very quickly. I personally have tired of the "gang up" threads and the "See, I was right" threads and the "See, you were wrong" threads. Everybody is entitled to their opinion, whether they are wrong or right.

Freak Out
11-16-2007, 08:45 PM
It says in the book burn and destroy...and rumble thee forth to the land of the unbelieving scum.

Many more experts (of course my memory is not what it used to be) thought the Packers would be mediocre at best than thought they would contend for a title...... therefore the PackerRats experts (my gin/koolaide drinking self included) are much wiser and forward thinking than the paid sports ranters out there are.

...of course the wheels could still come off but the odds of that happening are way down at this point. Things should only get keep getting better. I bashed TT in the past and am sure I will at some point in the future...it's not a perfect world after all.

the_idle_threat
11-16-2007, 08:46 PM
A little humble pie is warranted for those who acted as obnoxious know-it-alls. But at this point, the humble-pie-servers are becoming at least as annoying and repetitive as the original offenders ever were.

Let's move on, folks.

RashanGary
11-16-2007, 08:50 PM
EDIT:

Worthless topic.

Bretsky
11-16-2007, 08:59 PM

I don't buy it.

Scott, first off let me say that I usually find your posts quite enjoyable. You inject a subtle, and sometimes not so subtle sarcasm to many discussions.

Secondly, I agree, PackerPro42 has a healthy ego and is very stubborn. But seriously, how many of us who post here don't possess those qualities, at least to some extent? At times he could be abrasive. Because of this, he did seem to get ganged up on quite a bit when he posted something that was not popular opinion. I haven't talked to him lately about why he stopped posting here but I'm guessing he probably found a forum that is more Draft specific. He's a Packer fan but he's more of an NFL Draft fan than anything else. Plus, I think getting ganged up on gets old after a while. :shock:

I turned him onto this board because I find most of the discussions engaging. Plus, most information that is posted on the internet about the Packers ends up here very quickly. I personally have tired of the "gang up" threads and the "See, I was right" threads and the "See, you were wrong" threads. Everybody is entitled to their opinion, whether they are wrong or right.

All great points; I do love the crow eating thread though. Self confessions is far superior to the I told you so's and mutiple thread bumping to embarrass/cut somebody else IMO

HarveyWallbangers
11-16-2007, 09:13 PM
These two threads are great. Keeps things confined. People now know what these threads are about, and they don't have to read them if they don't want to. The way some of these folks acted, they deserve this. Maybe it will make them think about how they sound before they post such crap this offseason. Well, probably not. I still think one or more of these people are Tank and/or Harlan.
:D

Scott Campbell
11-16-2007, 10:43 PM
Self confessions is far superior to the I told you so's and mutiple thread bumping to embarrass/cut somebody else IMO

Yeah, I especially enjoyed Merlin's self confession.

I'm guessing Bart would agree with you B. And I'm guessing Max would be busting balls with me.

Scott Campbell
11-16-2007, 10:46 PM
I turned him onto this board because I find most of the discussions engaging.

Tell him I said hello. It'd be nice if he could join us again.

Scott Campbell
11-16-2007, 10:57 PM
This post is dedicated to Packnut.

I'm worried about the Packnut. We haven't seen him for weeks now. Let's review the FACTS:

1) He's a self proclaimed degenerate gambler.
2) His handicapping of the Packers this season gives you a good idea of his skill as a gambler. (Yes, I know this is not a fact, but afterall the post is dedicatd to Packnut)
3) He's absolutely sure that he's smarter than the rest of us idiots.

Conclusion: He's taking a dirt nap courtesy of his bookie.

Bretsky
11-17-2007, 08:46 AM

I really liked PackerPro; tell him I say hi as well.

StPaulPackFan
11-17-2007, 11:30 AM

Thanks, I will send him your regards.

retailguy
11-17-2007, 02:19 PM

Me also, please. I miss his posting as well.

I understand why he left, I've contemplated it a few times as well. Tried several times to point out the "ganging up" mentality, but it's fallen on deaf ears. I recognize that it's been on both sides of the aisle, but I cling to the false hope that when they've finished this latest round of "bashing" they'll hang it up for good. Personally, I think it's pretty silly to be claiming victory in week 10, but I guess they could've done it in week 6, so I guess I'm grateful.

thanks also for your common sense postings above, I'm sorry they were met with a few "denials". It's inevitable, I guess.

retailguy
11-17-2007, 02:29 PM

I'm worried about the Packnut. We haven't seen him for weeks now. Let's review the FACTS:

2) His handicapping of the Packers this season gives you a good idea of his skill as a gambler. (Yes, I know this is not a fact, but afterall the post is dedicatd to Packnut)

Initially, I thought this too. I don't think this any longer. I'm more than a little concerned something "unhealthy" has happened. He was too stubborn to just wander away...

You might have thought he was a jerk, but, I'd hope that's the extent of it.

Scott Campbell
11-17-2007, 02:51 PM
You might have thought he was a jerk, but, I'd hope that's the extent of it.

He was a jerk - once in a while. Just like most of us. I hope he wanders in, so we can rib him, and then move on to our regularly scheduled programming.

GrnBay007
11-17-2007, 04:20 PM

Packnut has been around here and there.

He's assisted me in a pool I'm in with a point spread and if that's any indication how he's done on his weekly betting, I'd say he's doing very well this season.

I can only speak for myself when I say this, but the "I told you so/bashing" stuff gets pretty old real fast. The only thing it equates is one side GUESSED better than the other side. I guess I have a hard time figuring out how that makes some feel superior to others. The teasing can be fun but too often it's taken too far and becomes malicious.

But then again....that's life on a sports forum.

cheesner
11-17-2007, 04:25 PM

He's assisted me in a pool I'm in with a point spread and if that's any indication how he's done on his weekly betting, I'd say he's doing very well this season.

I can only speak for myself when I say this, but the "I told you so/bashing" stuff gets pretty old real fast. The only thing it equates is one side GUESSED better than the other side. I guess I have a hard time figuring out how that makes some feel superior to others. The teasing can be fun but too often it's taken too far and becomes malicious.

But then again....that's life on a sports forum.Do you think people argue so adamantly about a guess? I think football knowledge and understanding of the big picture in the NFL is at play here. As far as people not coming around anymore, there is a level of 'missing out' feeling. To me the building of a champion, climbing of the mountain, is more fun than actually being on top. The pessimists missed out, too busy complaining about the faults and not realizing the positives where adding up quickly.

'Rubbing it in' is getting old? We have endured about 3 years of near daily threads of how evil TT is destroying the Packers. Why did I continue to post? Because I believed in what I thought, that the Packers would see some success in the near future.

GrnBay007
11-17-2007, 04:59 PM
'Rubbing it in' is getting old? We have endured about 3 years of near daily threads of how evil TT is destroying the Packers. Why did I continue to post? Because I believed in what I thought, that the Packers would see some success in the near future.

And the people that have been neutral concerning TT have endured 3 years of the Pro/Anti TT threads. Which is all fine because that's what a sports forum is all about....stating opinions. My point was people get way too malicious at times. That seems to be detrimental to a site like this.

RashanGary
11-17-2007, 07:55 PM
I don't think anyone is being malicious. Shadow took a lot of flack. He was called a mindless follower by packnut many times. I'm glad packnut is doing well in his gambling ventures, but he deserves no empathy with the way he treated people here. Remember his I TOLD YOU SO threads? I remember people getting pissed, but not the same people that are pissed this time.

For example

http://packerrats.com/ratchat/viewtopic.php?t=8001&highlight=told

YOu would have a lot more crediblity if you would have complained about posts like this, 007.

or this one where you didn't bother to compain about the malicious "I told you so" mentality. Funny how that works with some but not with others, huh? I don't need defense. I was happy to call packnut a fucknut and I'm sure he got a little laugh out of it. If you want to come here and sit on a soap box talking about malicious bumps, you might want to have some consistancy first, becuase it sort of goes in one ear and out the other when you don't hold your buddy's to the same standard.

http://packerrats.com/ratchat/viewtopic.php?t=8501&highlight=told

RashanGary
11-17-2007, 08:00 PM
Oh yeah, and you didn't hear me whining about getting the thread bumped. I didn't like it, but I speak my opinion, so I have to be ready to defend it when I'm wrong.

I'm not running around bumping all of the things that I was right on because I know there are other where I was wrong. It would be hypocrytical. Very similar to the examples I posted above. However, I don't think anyone who is doing it now should be held by you, or anyone, to different standards than that of your buddy packnut.

GrnBay007
11-17-2007, 08:15 PM
LOL you just don't get it Justin. I did say the teasing can be fun but too often it's taken too far and becomes malicious. You go on to use an example where you believe someone was saying "I told you" to you.....but not name-calling or belittling and then you respond with calling the person an over-confident bafoon and fucknut. You dig your own grave. I'm not sitting on any soap box and not on anyone's side in this. My point.......AGAIN......you can make your point, state your opinion without name-calling and belittling people........THAT'S ALL!! It's not that difficult. I can think of at least one very good poster that was NOT involved in the big TT battles that is has not posted in a long time and the reason, I'm told, it they were sick of all name-calling. There's a time to have fun with it and a time to back off. Unfortunately some people don't know how to back off.

retailguy
11-17-2007, 08:52 PM
YOu would have a lot more crediblity if you would have complained about posts like this, 007.

Wow. Calling 007 out is like the 2nd dumbest thing you've ever done, next to being glad Adrian Peterson got hurt.

You never cease to amaze me. I'd advise you to stop arguing with 007. She's way, way out of your league.

You'd best stick with me. You can't handle her. :P

HarveyWallbangers
11-17-2007, 08:58 PM
Keep bumping. Maybe we'll hear from packnut and merlin.

RashanGary
11-17-2007, 08:58 PM

But then again....that's life on a sports forum.

If you don't understand how you are being hypocritical, than that is on you.

I can only speak for myself, but it should be pretty clear to all that pro TT "I told you so's" are bad and pro Favre "I told you so's" are OK.

Like I said, it goes in one ear and out the other when you let your buddys get away with it yet you preach to others to stop.

RashanGary
11-17-2007, 09:02 PM
Wow. Calling 007 out is like the 2nd dumbest thing you've ever done, next to being glad Adrian Peterson got hurt.

You never cease to amaze me. I'd advise you to stop arguing with 007. She's way, way out of your league.

You'd best stick with me. You can't handle her. :P

She shouldn't complain about these guys saying "I told you so" when she defends the last guy who does it. Woman or not, right is right.

the_idle_threat
11-17-2007, 10:15 PM
And in this case, 007 is right. :idea:

HarveyWallbangers
11-17-2007, 10:33 PM
I always find it funny when people cry when somebody bumps a quote they made. If it's that big of a deal, maybe you should think about what you write. It doesn't take much to state what they feel without being a dink about it. They are big boys (or girls). They can defend themselves. I thought Brandon Jackson would be our answer to losing Ahman Green. I was wrong. Big deal. I didn't tell anybody that they were idiots for not believing Jackson was the answer though.

Scott Campbell
11-17-2007, 10:45 PM
It's an interesting tightrope we try and walk. On one hand you don't want a bunch of Mr. Rogers in here sitting around and blowing smoke up eachothers asses. How boring. And on the other hand you don't want it denegrating into constant blood feuds.

HarveyWallbangers
11-17-2007, 10:57 PM
Indeed. I think the point has been made. I doubt anybody learned from it. It would be nice if people kept it more civil in the offseason. Again, I don't mind the sentiment. I'd just hope the "you are all idiots for having hope", "Thompson is an evil person", etc. type threads can just go away.

Freak Out
11-17-2007, 11:18 PM
This is all pretty damn funny....and to think there is a writers strike going on in showbiz.....there is some General Hospital like talent on this board...well, maybe not.